Got Gnats

md420

same old problem with internet shopping

$10 product with shipping charges of $11

ya but when you go to the store they charge $17.95 for that $10 item and gas ain't cheap. plus your boss, or mother in law or whoever might see you comming out off the hydro store.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gnats are one of the things we get when we use good live earth. Live earth is preferable and always better than that sterilized lifeless soil.

I get a few gnats every once in a while, but not many. I pour a little apple cider vinegar in a few jar caps or saucers and set them in the grow. They love the apple cider vinegar and the next day, there's a bunch of drowned little gnats in the caps. Empty, rinse, repeat as needed. Works for me.

They can be a pest but not nearly as bad as spider mites.

Best of luck. :thumbsu:

they're not going for the cider vinigar but got a few in the red wine. update; they are going for the vinegar now. seems like the wine attracts in daytime and vinegar works more at night but if they see dead bugs in it they stop going in, I rinse the bowls. this will have to work untill the Go-gnats gets here. and I ordered ED ROSENTHALS ZERO-TOLERENCE for mite problems that might come up.(can be used up to 5 days before harvest organic). Edited by cujo

• 1 month later...

"Go Gnat". Any Hydro store will carry it. Read the instructions on back, but you can spray the plants AND mix to water them. Also using Green sand if you are growing in soil is supposed to slice em up! :sword: Good luck, hope this helps!!!

this stuff did not help me. waste of money.

yes, you add a layer to the top of your soil. i usually go about 1/4" thick. it will cut their bodies up. and their eggs will dry out.

I added a layer of sand on top and the little buggers are using the bottom holes in the pots.

i have a problem with these gnats too...but it doesn't seem like they're damaging my plants at all. My roots are still white and healthy. I notice they crawl around on the top and take flight but do they really do any harm to the plants..I've already brought one harvest through with no problem. I've been adding some hydrogen peroxide to my water as well to keep the roots healthy, and let the soil get real dry in between waterings, but i just can't see being able to get rid of all of them. Are they really that bad?

people told me not to worry then three weeks later plants started geting yellow and brown spots and then dying. I used go-gnats, sand on top of pot, sticky traps, vinegar,red wine, finaly when they started killing plants I blasted the plants, pots, and drip trays with neem oil/pyrethrum mix the plants with buds were ruined. weeks later they tasted like crap and had to throw it out. now I'm using neem oil as a root drench but that will probably end up changing the flavor.

Edited by cujo

I used to use miracle grow potting soil, and had a terrible fungus gnat problem. I also tried the dairy doo and still got gnats, now Im using fox farm soil. I dont have near as many gnats now but theyre still there. Im gonna try the green sand suggestion. I am beginning to believe theres always gonna be gnats.

doesn't mater what soil or nutrients, they are everywhere and are drawn to the humidity of the veg room (and you do need humidity there) the diatoms might work as soon as I can find some I'll try it. but greensand don't make sense to me but let me know about that.

you might want to get a good book ,, helps in cases of the unknown's... and yes dunks work just fine in day or two. Biggest problem is every grower has a different answer to your questions,, by the time you get the correct one for you,, it could be way to late...

I recommend Ryan Riley's Growing Elite Marijuana ,, its a very informative book, covers lots and is way easier to read than the Jorge Cervantes bible..

• 1 month later...
There are multiple ways to combat those little critters. The best way is to start with the traps, and get two "Hot shots" in a package and can get that at home depot. They have a hidden barrier inside a plastic container that you place in your flower room (or veg/clone room) Next buy Azamax from the hydro store, mix and water your plants (if infested in soil) and spray your pre-flower plants right before you put them in the flower room. Also, spray the top of soil and kinda saturate it. But you want to right away water your plants with a mixture of the azamax and water. This stuff is totally safe too for humans.....I still have a few straglers here and there, but no infestation. Good luck man....they are the toughest to get rid of.

• 2 months later...

I added a layer of sand on top and the little buggers are using the bottom holes in the pots.

layer of sand on top of the dirt works wonders for me.

if the gnats are going in the bottom, try lifting your plants out of the pots, pour sand in the bottom layer of the pot, put plant back down on top of it. just an idea anyways.

green sand huh i sure need sumthin. Seems like they started a lil while after i hooked up a humidifier

I think you mean diatonatious earth green sand breaks down clay soil and when I tried the d. e. on the surface it turned to mud when I watered and then sealed off the air supply then came root rot.

did I hear right? somebody tried the exspensive AZAMAX and that didn't work. wow probably something simple and cheap might do it. lets try dawn dish soap. the mosqito dunks worked fairly well and the sticky traps worked well too. but can't seem to shake them in the veg room where I refuse to let things dry out. the cedar oil in the go gnats is more of a preventative measure. and mint, lemon, clove, and rosemary oils don't seem to kill. hot pepper and dish soap work in the outside garden but I thought that was for folage eating insects.I need to experiment. think I'll put a jalepeno and a couple drops off dawn in the blender.

Edited by cujo

I found two simple things that ended my gnat problem:

1. I switched soils. I was building my base soil with a miacle grow product. I switched to ProMix, and things got a lot better.

2. Sand. I pour about an inch of fine, clean playground sand on top of my prepared and planted pots.

I haven't had any gnats at all since making the above changes.

• 7 months later...

What works very well is hot peppers. Try some habanero peppers. They can be sliced and dried in a food dehydrator or very low oven, and in the sun when the weather is warm. Grinding it to a medium fine powder with a food processor or coffee grinder and simmering it several minutes with enough water to cover makes a potent mix. Three to four drops in two gallons is enough. If you go a little past that there is no problem.