Seed Or Clone

TheGanz

totally depends.

if this is your first grow, new grower, i would go for clones for now. make your life as easy as possible for your first couple cycles.

as an advanced grower, when i add a new strain, i go with seed........... the clone that you pick up may or may not be the "best" out there.... i like to find my own.

I'd be a new cannabis grower but not new to gardening. Had an organic veggie garden for a few years and have a general understanding of what nutes do what and microbes in soil and such. Ive been a fly on the wall at a couple peoples grows, one my caregiver. I guess for me its the benefit of a faster start up vs having a mother from seed. Does having a mother plant from seed make that much of a difference?

Tarzan, didnt really need more strains to add to my wish list, those 2 sound incredible! It seems like my flavor of the week this week has been pre 98 bubba, one of the many og kush varieties, and some type of cirus smelling sativa, but those 2 might have taken the top 2 spots!

After you guys have decided on adding a new strain to the garden, which do you decide to go with, seeds or clones?

Clones are definitely the only way to go unless you have a rare type of strain you cannot acquire through active clones currently circulating our state then you take clones yourself from this seed only strain so the next guy looking for that strain needs clones has an easier time adding this to their gardens .

I prefer seeds so I have provable genetics, especially with alot of people putting fake names on bag seeds and selling it for $400 an oz. I also just like watching the process from start to finish, I like knowing exactly what my girls have been in, what light they saw, and especially knowing I have a clean room, no worries of bringing bugs home.

I like ur idea michiganmedclones but seeds r not provable genetics we had 10 white widow seeds got 3 females and were only takin clones from 1 bcuz the way it grows it was 25in tall and 19w , 38 tall and 32w it gets really fat as it gets tall pertty slow if u get bad genetics u still can pull the genetics out just do a better job then the last guy and would anybody have any info on atf I picked up 3 clones

I like ur idea michiganmedclones but seeds r not provable genetics we had 10 white widow seeds got 3 females and were only takin clones from 1 bcuz the way it grows

not directing this towards you personally, but you gave gave solid evidence as to why ..........................................

totally depends.

if this is your first grow, new grower, i would go for clones for now. make your life as easy as possible for your first couple cycles.

as an advanced grower, when i add a new strain, i go with seed........... the clone that you pick up may or may not be the "best" out there.... i like to find my own.

once again, not directed at you, but as you said, buy a pack of ten. maybe get 4-5 females, clone the best one that you see. but is the best one that you see "really" a GREAT one?

it's the newer grower that buys the 10 pack, grows them out, ends up with a decent cut (not great) and then spreads it around.

no shame in that at all....... and likewise, a newer grower should be picking those cuts up and getting going.

but as with my Blueberry from DJ Short that i have going on now......... many people have cuts...... but they dont know where it came from originally, or dont know if it really is one of the better BB plants out there.

so i bought my own 10 pack. if i dont like what i see, i will buy another 10 pack..... i already have a breeding room set up to breed the best male and female if need be for more seeds and more opportunity to get "that one".

there is a big difference between settling for something and getting exactly what you want. a newer grower should be just fine "settling".................

in a new to MMJ state like MI, it may be more difficult for an experienced grower to find exactly what they want..... so we go from seed........ and spend the time/money/effort to find it.

Tarzan, didnt really need more strains to add to my wish list, those 2 sound incredible! It seems like my flavor of the week this week has been pre 98 bubba, one of the many og kush varieties, and some type of cirus smelling sativa, but those 2 might have taken the top 2 spots!

I've wanted to try some different that comes w/ a Kick :thumbsu:

I do know their write up are a bit extreme ,

Like when i ordered their " Black Queen "

Smoke is very powerful - two hits will get you high for 3 + hours ,

anymore then five hits will knock you out for 5-7 hours .

Definitely more of a couchlock Strain ...

Well ... I WISH :thumbsu:

Don't get me wrong ... it has a very good Medication Quality

and the taste is Very Fruity and Smooth .... and i do plan on

keeping her around .... :thumbsu:

I just wonder who writes these descriptions up ?

Well I'm just tryin to say bcuz u have seeds don't mean your ganna get what u want

once again........ spot on 100% good info. +rep.

and the same goes for clones as well.

i could grow out a 10 pack............. and you could grow another 10pk. out of the same beans from the same batch................

and you might get a MUCH better female to clone and pass around.

I like ur idea michiganmedclones but seeds r not provable genetics we had 10 white widow seeds got 3 females and were only takin clones from 1 bcuz the way it grows it was 25in tall and 19w , 38 tall and 32w it gets really fat as it gets tall pertty slow if u get bad genetics u still can pull the genetics out just do a better job then the last guy and would anybody have any info on atf I picked up 3 clones

I'm not sure I'm following you.. just because you only got 3 females, you still have 3 proveable white widow genetics from whichever breeder you purchased from, thats what I'm going for. I understand I'm not going to get 10 mommas out of a 10 pack of seed, but in reality all I need is 1 and I'm happy. It may take an extra few weeks to take some clippings and what not to keep the strain going, but thoes clippings are also proveable genetics just the first generation clone from the mother plant.

As far as the quality of the genetics that up to the grower to decide which seed breeder he decides to choose, has nothing to do with clone vs seed. I have no problems with clones, I offer clones to patients all the time and thats another reason I start from seed, so the people that recieve the clones can have piece of mind that it actually is G13, WW, BB, Hashplant, ect. not just a clipping off an unknown plant with a fake name attached to it. I'll take clones if its a clone only strain obviously as long as I know the person who has it and I trust they aren't being deceptive, as well as if I want to add a strain that I can't find seeds for and I know its coming from a clean room I'll take a few clones and make a mother out of the strongest throw the other few into flower and make sure its something that I actually want to grow out and give the valuable space in my room for that strain.

Aslong as you trust who youre getting your clones from and you know youre getting what youre asking for I see no problems with clones what so ever as long as they are clean and properly cared for until you have them in your room, but like I said in most cases I personally still prefer seeds. To each his own right?

AH now I see what you were trying to say, yes I agree that is definatly possible but seeds from any reputable breeder you should beable to get ATLEAST 1 strong female even out of a 10 pack of reg seeds, sure there are the occasional bad packs where all 10 are boys but I guess thats a risk I am willing to take. Knock on wood that hasn't ever happened to me but thats absolutly possible

I beg to differ

Seeds are only as good as the plant it came from.

Good breeders use good genetics.

Buying seeds from good breeders ensure quality genetics.

GH seeds are not good genetics, just had to add that one.

AH now I see what you were trying to say, yes I agree that is definatly possible but seeds from any reputable breeder you should beable to get ATLEAST 1 strong female even out of a 10 pack of reg seeds, sure there are the occasional bad packs where all 10 are boys but I guess thats a risk I am willing to take. Knock on wood that hasn't ever happened to me but thats absolutly possible

right on................ but there is more to consider here as well.

3 or 4 females out of a 10 pack is "normal" anything more is bonus....... less is bummer.

anyways, even with top dollar genetics, there is still no guarantee that you will get the sturdiest/best female out there.

here's another to consider.......... MOST strains have more than one phenotype. now your odds just got cut in half. it never ends :)

in my budget grow journal, i started with a 10 pack of blubonic beans from spice of life. reputable breeder who collaborates with DJ Short. quality genetics.

out of the 10 beans, 9 made it to seedling stage. 5 of those 9 were males. 1 was a hermie. now i have 3 females left. this strain has 2 phenos. i have one female that is obviously stronger than the other 2. now what? and even if i do get lucky enough to have the biggest female be the pheno i desire....... what are the chances that there are bigger/better females of the same strain/same pheno out there..... VERY VERY GOOD. sure i may get real lucky...... but most of the time you won't. i dont want just any old cut of blubonic. now that i have seen 9 plants grow from seed, i know what to expect from the next 10 pack of them that i plant while my search continues for the best blubonic specimen in Michigan :)

maybe i will have a faster growing female out of the next 10...... maybe i already have the best female?? only one way to find out. get more.

and THIS is why i don't mess with clones from other growers very often.

but thats just me and my personal preference. newer growers should be THRILLED to not spend the time/money that i do to find "the best"......... most people arent going to clone a scrubby/worthless female anyways..... the clone you pick up at the c.c. or wherever may not be the BEST cut out there....... but its a female, and its the strain you want, and its handy....... pick up your clones, get going............. and save the bean popping for other folks for now........ let them do the hard work for ya :)

there will be PLENTY of time for you to do your own bean popping/messing with males/hermies after you get your grow skills honed and learn the ropes.

exactly Bubblegrower and if their f2 seeds = more variables=more phenos.

When i grow out a pack of seeds,i'm not looking for any one pheno in particular,and usually its not the biggest or healthiest plant that i end up keeping.

I grow out the females and clone one of each seed plant.That way if i really like the seed plant,I already have a clone big enough to go into flower.

Archived