Pre-Mixing Ferts?

SublimeWind

I just thought of something i've wanted to ask for a while now...

What is everyone's take on pre-mixing ferts?

Good - bad - otherwise?

I ask based on the "Stinkbud(dy)" articles...

I read ferts are pre-mixed in 1gal containers to a specific ratio, then topped off with RO...

From that point on, it would stay in semi-concentrated form till needed...

Soooooo, I've followed along, trying to emulate that system to a T... Someone long ago stopped me from using this mix and I have 2gal worth of concentrate mixed up that's just going to be wasted if I don't get some discussion on the topic... I don't like dumping stuff for no good reason..

So, what say you?

Thanks,

Mud

I use the lucas method and was told to mix seperately bc it will promote lock-out if you combine the nutes. Not sure why and I haven't tried testing it either, lol. I just listened to ole guy and haven't looked back.

Good luck on your search, it would be a waste to toss all that. Maybe a test run on a single plant?

well for General Hydroponic Flora Series they say:

HOW DO I MIX THE FLORA SERIES?

Answer: Always start with a reservoir filled with water, then add the concentrated nutrients one by one.

Never mix the nutrients together in their concentrated form, as this will cause nutrient "lock-out" making some minerals unavailable. It is best to begin by adding FloraMicro, stirring well, and then adding FloraGro and/or FloraBloom. If both FloraGro and FloraBloom are used, add one, stir well, then add the other.

(Lucas method)

http://www.generalhydroponics.com/genhydro_US/faqnute.html

SubWind, You've got it dude. Perfect. Now you're ready go to top off your Res with your Semi_Concentrate and Water.

1. Start by checking your pH and PPM to get an idea of the Res Current Conditions as well as the Level of the Ferts
  2. With your Targets (ie pH5.6 - ppM 1000) in Mind : Determine your Corrections ie: 250ml Semi-Conc., 25ml pH-, 2 gals H2O
  3. Mix the Semi to the H2O then add your pH-, mix and
  4. Add these in and Check your Levels again to see the results.

ps # 2. Till you understand the process better split the correction in half and check your results after each.

SubWind, You've got it dude. Perfect. Now you're ready go to top off your Res with your Semi_Concentrate and Water.

Start by checking your pH and PPM to get an idea of the Res Current Conditions as well as the Level of the Ferts

With your Targets (ie pH5.6 - ppM 1000) in Mind : Determine your Corrections ie: 250ml Semi-Conc., 25ml pH-, 2 gals H2O

Mix the Semi to the H2O then add your pH-, mix and

Add these in and Check your Levels again to see the results.

I've got it, but I'm not ready to just go dumping stuff in my rez, based on one guys opinion... That's why i am here friend...

Please explain to me WHY it is ok.. And weather or not I will have issues and why please...

That is why I am here Sir, to get facts, not personal opinion (thank you though, FOR your opinion!!)

I'm from Missouri..... :blink:

So...can we go over this again for those in soil or a promix type soiless mix?

I use the Fox Farm line of liquid nutes but also have the solubles.

I use these at about half the strength they recommend.

I use Absopure spring water exclusively for my garden.

I mix my FF liquid nutes all in the same gallon of water(one gallon at a time), which could be up to all 3 kinds possibly depending what I'm feeding. Is that ok? Been doing it that way from the start.

I haven't used the solubles in a while, but when I did, I added that to the above as well. Smaller amounts as suggested on the label of course. Is that ok?

If not what would you suggest?

I feed, water, feed, water, etc., etc......

I'm from Missouri..... :blink:

So...can we go over this again for those in soil or a promix type soiless mix?

I use the Fox Farm line of liquid nutes but also have the solubles.

I use these at about half the strength they recommend.

I use Absopure spring water exclusively for my garden.

I mix my FF liquid nutes all in the same gallon of water(one gallon at a time), which could be up to all 3 kinds possibly depending what I'm feeding. Is that ok? Been doing it that way from the start.

I haven't used the solubles in a while, but when I did, I added that to the above as well. Smaller amounts as suggested on the label of course. Is that ok?

If not what would you suggest?

I feed, water, feed, water, etc., etc......

This is how I do it. I'm still new, but these have been my observations after 1 harvest.

I've got 30 gallons of pre-mixed nutes / water in a 45 gallon tote. I use the Lucas formula. I add 240 ml of micro and 480 ml of bloom. pH level is usually around 5.7 - 5.8 I add 10 ml of pH down at a time and measure pH (remember, I"m using 30 gallons...that's why so much pH down. Use sparingly)

I leave at 5.5. I've found that when you are working with 30 gallons, the pH doesn't fluctuate much just sitting there. It was a different story when I was just filling a 10 gallon tote with pre-mixed nutes and water. The pH would often rise. Not so much when you have a lot of water.

As to Rockin's statement about feed, water, feed, water, .... I'll feed pH 7 water if I notice the pH has dropped. Sometimes my plant / tote will drop down to 5.2 -5.3. I'll raise the pH by adding 7.0 water. It works! LOL Why buy pH up when you have free 7.0 water from the tap?

I think you grow in dirt only though Rockin', so it may be different.

That's how I've been doing it...

This is how I do it. I'm still new, but these have been my observations.

I've got 30 gallons of pre-mixed nutes / water in a 45 gallon tote. I use the Lucas formula. I add 240 ml of micro and 480 ml of bloom. pH level is usually around 5.7 - 5.8 I add 10 ml of pH down at a time and measure pH (remember, I"m using 30 gallons...that's why so much pH down. Use sparingly)

I leave at 5.5. I've found that when you are working with 30 gallons, the pH doesn't fluctuate much just sitting there. It was a different story when I was just filling a 10 gallon tote with pre-mixed nutes and water. The pH would often rise. Not so much when you have a lot of water.

As to Rockin's statement about feed, water, feed, water, .... I'll feed pH 7 water if I notice the pH has dropped. Sometimes it will drop down to 5.2 -5.3. I'll try to raise the pH by adding 7.0 water. It works! LOL

I think you grow in dirt only though Rockin', so it may be different.

That's how I've been doing it...

So...can we go over this again for those in soil or a promix type soiless mix? :)

Yup....I'm in promix, but I appreciate it. :)

I've got it, but I'm not ready to just go dumping stuff in my rez, based on one guys opinion... That's why i am here friend...

Please explain to me WHY it is ok.. And weather or not I will have issues and why please...

That is why I am here Sir, to get facts, not personal opinion (thank you though, FOR your opinion!!)

:o

OK well if I was as arrogant as some I'd tell you that I've been doing it like that for 10 years. But I'm not like that . (little over a yr)

I just said it because IT WORKS !

a. Did you try any of my advice?

b. Do you have a TDS / Ph meter ?

c. Momentarily you will see numbers on my previous post. If you need any more help, please refer to them by item # .

d. Assume when something is posted on here it better be Spot On. Or you will be eaten alive in seconds by the dreaded Gargoyle like " jackal trollers "

No unless it was really bad advice someone will help you.

Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...

:o

OK well if I was as arrogant as some I'd tell you that I've been doing it like that for 10 years. But I'm not like that . (little over a yr)

I just said it because IT WORKS !

a. Did you try any of my advice?

b. Do you have a TDS / Ph meter ?

c. Momentarily you will see numbers on my previous post. If you need any more help, please refer to them by item # .

d. Assume when something is posted on here it better be Spot On. Or you will be eaten alive in seconds by the dreaded Gargoyle like " jackal trollers "

No unless it was really bad advice someone will help you.

Good Luck

Lol.. hope I didn't come off wrong man... really...

1)I did try your advice and things are showing sign of lockout.. so for now, the semi-concentrates are being kept and used on the veggie garden in the summer..

2) yes I have both.. my last try with my semi-concentrate went in @700ppm and ~6.5 PH Run-off shows 4-500ppm and 6.5-6.7PH.. (in promix)

3) I got all the numbers (scientist by trade)

4)Again, I'm sorry about coming off wrong.. you have to understand, while you sound smart and all, your post is just ONE.. that is all.. I was just commenting on the fact that I was waiting for someone to back YOU, before I implement the ideas..

Statistically 1 isn't a statistic.. lol.. so I was looking for more than 1 to back the line of thinking.. dig..

Thank YOU, for all of your input, really.. Thanks..!

(also, often, when focused on a subject, I lose my people skills, my apologies)

Im thinking you're pH is running a little High. Try working it down daily a little at a time. Start with those nutes you have mixed ? pH these down to about 5.7-8 Dilute them down a little too .

What stage of growth are they in ? This will determine their Nutrient Level.

I'm in Promix and run-off PH is a solid 6.5... can't really change it right now..

AFA the pre-mix, I diluted it WAY down before I used it.. I used like ~1cup in 5gal of water..or about 6-700ppm .

I had been running RO water, until I moved everything to a different location.. It's 1000x more difficult to run the RO system now, so I'm using well water that comes out @7.0PH and ~200ppm (mostly calcium)..

They are now about 2 weeks into flower and doing nice, I just have to get over this hump and grow these out, everthing should be sorted by next round.. (I hope)

The Pro-mix got 2tbs of lime in the mix and the water being 7.0 with 200ppm of mostly CA, it's HARD to get it down... I don't like adding that much PH down... it kinda scares me..

I've also read that you want a 6.5-6.8 in soils.. ?? I should be right in the sweet spot?

Thanks for your help, even if your the only one.. lol..

Cheers.. !

According to the 'Bible' Safe Zone for soil is 5.8 - 6.8. Should never add pH+ or - without dilutin a little, it even helps to have a few nutes in it, to give it extra 'traction'.

Your call, certainly use your best judgement, the ' scientific ' part of you should help.

Everybody else is preoccupied, I think ... hope I managed to shed a little Light for you ...

Good Luck , 5-6 weeks will tell the tale!

Archived