Hash Making Question

I have a strange hash making question in regards to staying within the amount of cannabis allowed under law. In the past i have always used cold water extraction for making hash out of dryed leaf and bud. My question is weather anyone has ever tried cold water extraction with non-dried plant material. Does it have to be dried for the crystals to detach from the plant material?

I have a strange hash making question in regards to staying within the amount of cannabis allowed under law. In the past i have always used cold water extraction for making hash out of dryed leaf and bud. My question is weather anyone has ever tried cold water extraction with non-dried plant material. Does it have to be dried for the crystals to detach from the plant material?

You can get some resin glands but not no where near enough in my experience.

There is no reason you can't use wet bud/trim. Anyone saying you can't is 100% wrong, you just have to freeze the bud/trim first.

I'm really suprized people were saying you have to dry first for making bubble hash. In fact there are a lot of good reasons to not dry. Leaves stink a lot! Also, the frozen leaves keep forever in the freezer.

When I am making hash, I try to go from living plant to frozen leaf/trim as soon as possible. The less time the leaves are drying the better. The quality and smell from frozen leaf/trim is just as good or quite a bit better than dry leaf/trim.

Even if you are using dry trim you should freeze it first in order to make it easier for the glands to fall off.

My method for making hash and butter is to use a large garbage can instead of a bucket. I add frozen leaves, cold water, and ice and I agitate it about 15 minutes with a hoe or shovel and run it through my bags using only the 220,160, and 25 and repeat 4 or 5 times using the same water each time. I don't throw the water away, I keep reusing it. Then I take used up trim and water and make butter out of it using a really big pot. Using this method you get bubble hash and butter and almost nothing is wasted. And, it doesn't taste like crap because I froze the trim and leaf as soon as possible.

Can anyone out there explain any reason why they said dry trim is better for making bubble hash? I can see where it might be better to dry when making bho buts thats about it.

Subcool, from TGA Subcool Seeds, freezes his trim right after its harvested. You get a more pure product, just not as much. Its like a trade off, you get a little less, but more potent if you freeze it as soon as possible. You get more hash, but less potency if you dry it first, and the dryer it gets, the less potent its going to be. I have ran a batch both ways and I prefer it to be wet frozen then dry frozen. Taste is way better and I got a way more pure product.

Here is Subcool's article in High Times. Subcool Hash

After you’ve harvested and trimmed your buds, separate the sugar leaves to make bubble hash. Remove all fan leaves and yellowing leaves, as well as anything not coated in resin. It’s important to use only high-quality wet sugar leaves for this process. Using wet leaves rather than dry ones ensures that less green plant matter will fall through the screen, keeping the hash super-pure.

I am completely new to making hash but I watched about an hours worth of videos and I tried the frozen trim method my first run. I used 3 loose filled gallon freezer bags of fresh trim that I took within a day or two of harvest and froze for a few days, then ran it through the 4 bag bubblebag system. I ran it through and re-ran it twice (the top piles are runs 2 & 3 combined, bottom pile is run 1, biggest piles are bottom bag) all hand mixing and got this:

1202101034.jpg

I haven't done a dry run comparison yet, but that was about 3.5 grams, just slightly over 1 gram/freezer bag. How does this ratio compare to runs with dry trim? best way is to compare and see :)

Also since this was my first run I expect the yield to go up slightly as I get better at mixing it.

Foot Fungus: You should have ran it for 4 or 5 times at least. You can really beat the trim up, and it will keep dropping trichs. You will know when it is time to quit because you should see decreasing returns by the fifth run. You most likely could have gotten up to twice as much bubble running it longer.

I really dispise using buckets and prefer a 20 gallon or larger new garbage can. You can really let the trim have it if you aren't worried about spilling. I also gave up using a drill as I can agitate much better with a shovel or garden hoe. Plus you get exercize.

For me, I only use a 220, 160, and 25 micron bag. I throw the material above the 160 and keep everything bigger than 25. More bags doesn't do anything for me, just makes more mess.

I was taught not to lay it on paper or cardboard to dry as it will absorb some of the oils that you want to keep.

Another thing is if you use dried trim dont let it just sit out in the open in boxes or bags before you use it,it will collect dust etc. and you can actually get a better product if you take care of your trim the same way you take care of your buds, dried and cured popcorn buds and sugar trim make the best bubblehash period.

I have done 100+ runs of bubblehash. Currently I use the Bubblebag 5 gallon 4 bag kit with a 90 micron bag added ...25,73,90,160,and 220 micron. In my opinion dry trim tends to work a little better. Decent results can be acheived using fresh frozen trim, but in my experience, the dry frozen trim works out better all around.

The most important contributing factor to both yield and quality is the quality of your starting material. I only use popcorn buds and very close trim/sugar leaves...you will not get the yield or the quality using fan leaves and such. I usually end up getting about 8-12% of my starting material. I have found that some of the best hash you can get will come from the 90 and 73 micron bags. The 73 is usually your full melt. The 25 is more pure but not necessarily more potent because a lot of the trichomes collected here can be smaller and less developed.

While it is true that you can get 5 or more runs out of the same batch of starting material...I really only waste my time with the first two...maybe three depending on quality. The more times you mix the same batch the more " green" your product tastes and looks. You will get more and more contaminants the more times you go. Someone above had some great advice and does exactly what I do...When you are done with your bubblehash you can still make excellent butter or olive oil from the leftover material making sure nothing goes to waste. A lot of THC and CBD remains and is what you are looking for in edibles and topical salves.

well this post couldn't come at a better time..lol..i bought myself a 5 bag,5gal bubble bag set(bubble dude)on ebay sixty bucks ,it came with a storage bag and finish screen..i've got two grocery bags of fine trim and the time to work on the process.the leaf has been out side for the past couple weeks so it should be frozen silly,some green,some dry,i'll run a small batch of each and compare the results and let you know who i think is right...lol..like that would make a difference..thanks to all who took the time to respond to the post..you've helped more than one...happy new year....zzb

Archived