Copd, Ddd, Osteoperosis, Arthritis

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Hi, I'm an aging VietNam vet whose lifestyle choices finally caught up with me.

I've always worked hard and was continually employed until this past Feb. when I blacked out at work, forcing me to seek a long deterred physical exam.

My work history began returning from the jungles and taking on a rent-a-cop position at the Metro Airport, into a carpentry apprenticeship program eventually culminating with a journeyman's card in the then Local 982 in Detroit.

Construction work took its' toll on my body and I was forced inside after 18 years, accepting a civil service post with the state where I was exposed to asbestos daily. When the state decided it would be cheaper to replace me with a young college kid than keep my salary on the books, and began randomly violating workers with drug tests, I closed the chapter on state employment.

Finally earning my Associate's Degree in Electronic Technology I opened my own TV repair shop and continued college towards my Bachelors', moving on to manage retirement homes and finally storage unit properties.

Unemployment was denied as determined that I "voluntarily terminated employment". I was forced to find out why I was disabled, and finally conceded to return to the VA for a checkup. I was diagnosed with severe emphysema and the COPD was the main cause of my blackouts. The feeling is as though you are drowning and can't catch your breath, for which I was prescribed 3 inhalers; foradil, Spirivia, and mometesone furate (discontinued because of nerve pain side effect). Gabapentin given for the side effect (with new side effect of blurred vision).

Subsequent MRIs and CAT scans revealed severe Degenerative Disc Disease, with 3 cervical collapses (c3-c6). This caused my daily whiplash symptoms with neck pain and migraines. Methocarbamol prescribed for muscle spasms and neck pain.

Further examination revealed a soft tissue tumor in my neck, the onset of osteoperosis and arthritis, and raised concerns over a lung collapsing. The left lung was rendered useless by a fluid-filled balloon expanding into my stomach cavity, making me feel bloated and full after merely a few bites of food. This condition could be treated, I was told, with chest surgery to remove the balloon in the lung. How the fluid would be dealt with was not discussed, nor how to pay for the surgery with no insurance other than the VA. A biopsy was discussed to determine any threat the tumor might pose, but put on the back burner until it interfered with movement, breathing or swallowing.

Interesting note is that bloodwork revealed NO VITAMIN D in my body. 50,000 usd supplements are being used to address that, I didn't know it was possible to live without D. LOL I can't process milk, but eat fish and veggies supplying vitamin D, so what happened to it?

The VA eye clinic determined that my blurred vision medication side affect can be corrected to 20/20 left and 20/25 right and gave me glasses, but had no constructive advice to curb blurred vision as medication side affect.

Armed with this medical record I was put on the fast track for SSDI which was immediately approved at age 62. The application process signed me up for state SSI and approved quickly. With the SSDI and SSI backpay it was determined that I have too much income to get an SSI payment, and my monthly retirement/SSDI pension exceeds future SSI income limits. I realize this has nothing to do with medical conditions, but it goes hand in hand with dealing with disability.

The intensive breathing tests and scans showed no indication of asbestos damage, not that I could sue the state for it anyway.

So, life goes on with severe emphysema, severe degenerative disc disease, and lifestyle changes to cope. Daily traction with a cervical traction device lifts my head weight off my spine, opening the discs somewhat, and allows me limited movement without lightening flashes and pain for a short time. I always feel full and bloated, so the wife reminds me and forces me to eat. (If comfort food can be considered forcing). No blackouts to report since Feb, so we may be on the right track, and the inhalers seem to be helping with breathing but smoking had to be ceased and naturally breathing should get easier. The jury is still out on the inhalers, one causes shakes, another causes blurred vision, and the last causes nerve pain - so, 3 new drugs to cope with side affects. I'm up to 9 monthly prescriptions and the missus says my mood shifts and growling are getting "testy". LOL

Aside from the blurred vision which bars me from watching TV, my biggest gripe is the constant muscle twitching, it drives me nuts. LOL

So, anyone sharing these disabilities or medications and wishing to talk, fire away. We're all in this life together.

1T

Wow 1TokeOverLine, I want to help you so much and all I can do is send my compassionate thoughts your way.

Thank you for so much honesty and openness. Most guys won't be able to say a lot about themselves, but maybe they can talk about someone they know.

For instance, I know these 2 guys who are probably just a couple of years younger than you. Both worked hard, got old, things wore out, can't do much some times any more. Lots of pain all the time, and really lots other times. They wish they could get on disability because some days they just can't do their regular stuff any more, like get in and out of a car or vehicle to get somewhere, walk much, get up or down, so a regular job is not possible any more. They have to eat and survive. They can't work. They can't yet get on disability because they just recently became more disabled to this extent. No long term proof from their doctors saying they can't work any more. No insurance. Not much money or resources. Not willing to give a portion of any small disability check to a lawyer who helps for free now. These are the guys who are falling through the cracks just as others have in our society. They have paid into the system all their lives, and now they need help, and can't qualify? Nice system we have here. Some days they want to give up (at least part of them does) but then they some times feel a bit better so it passes for awhile.

They are going through nothing like you are 1 TOL, but they are still having some difficulty.

I send my thoughts to you and these two and all others like you who suffer that pain and suffering can be eased this day...spockbig.jpg

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Hey thanks Bish, but I know there's lot sufferin worse, I'm lucky in many ways. Some can't control, at least I got that to fall back on.

Life goes on, in spite of us.

1T

Hi, I'm an aging VietNam vet whose lifestyle choices finally caught up with me.

I can only imagine what you are experiencing, but I certainly can relate. My Mother was diagnosed severe emphysema and COPD and already had your other symptoms along with two back surgeries with several fused disks as well as osteoporoses, I could go on. We were never closer than when she took care of her 30 something quad son for two yrs after his accident and I was able to take care of her for the next five yrs with her struggles. The steroid pretazone helped a bunch but it all had it side affects the shakiness and unbalanced feeling even when her O2 level was 98%

I'm going to assume you use MM from your passed statements, how does the (if it does) MM help with the COPD? I wish I had known more about medibles then, I know it would have helped with the pain and maybe extended her life a little. Just curious about the COPD. I also sounds like you may be still smoking cigs(?) If that's the case, I'm sure your family has bugged you about it QUIT!! LOL

LJ

I Feel for You Bro!

every one thinks they have things bad, Until they see it thru the eyes of another!

Ive got copd, and lower back issues(need surgery), since I started vaping I dont need my advair that often and never use my albuteral! and no pain pills, mm works great for me, I find my self a lil testy at times. so I do take celexa 40mg a day, for anxiety,anger issues, you name it, I feel like im on a fricking roller coaster ride most of the time!

But hey we made it thru the holidays w/o going in debt for the 1st time I can remember!! my lady totaled her ford explore sat, was in her new,used car monday, no one was hurt! and life goes on!

Peace Bro! We can only control the moment!

FTW

Jim

Guest 1TokeOverLine

I can only imagine what you are experiencing, but I certainly can relate. My Mother was diagnosed severe emphysema and COPD and already had your other symptoms along with two back surgeries with several fused disks as well as osteoporoses, I could go on. We were never closer than when she took care of her 30 something quad son for two yrs after his accident and I was able to take care of her for the next five yrs with her struggles. The steroid pretazone helped a bunch but it all had it side affects the shakiness and unbalanced feeling even when her O2 level was 98%

I'm going to assume you use MM from your passed statements, how does the (if it does) MM help with the COPD? I wish I had known more about medibles then, I know it would have helped with the pain and maybe extended her life a little. Just curious about the COPD. I also sounds like you may be still smoking cigs(?) If that's the case, I'm sure your family has bugged you about it QUIT!! LOL

LJ

Had to quit, couldn't breathe after smoking, would cough to blackout. VA gave me Chantix but didn't use it, have never had the desire to choke myself more, last time I blacked out I was driving & that cured me of smoking. As for COPD MMJ relaxes air passageway and allows lung to exhale easier and fuller. The importance of vaping is paramount tho, coughing defeats the purpose. In our severe condition, inhaling isn't the problem, exhaling is. Our lung muscle has lost its' elasticity and ability to fully exhale, so we never expel 100% and fluids build up in the bulbous sac that is covering and blocking cillia from their function. It's important to relax muscles and keep them that way through the breath cycle. A good 50/50 strain seems to help, more sativa seems to tighten and aggravate, more indica seems to relax more.

1T

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Thanks phaquetoo, the vape has cut the pain meds in half, just gotta watch the strains and avoid coughing.

Peace to you and yours from the Toke house.

1T

• 3 months later...

I have some of the same issues . After years of being treated for Severe Chronic Pain two things I have learned and wish I could get the system to recognize are : .

First Severe Pain itself overtime and the drugs they prescribe for it often create hormonal and vitamen deficiencies that need to be addressed wtih comprehensive blood panels and naturopathic / holistic treatment .

2) Substance Abuse is a theory that should never be involved in the treatment equation of Severe Chronic Pain patients

. I rue the day substance abuse was made a catch all escape valve for Doctors and insurance to blame failed results on which often causes further injury to patients for situations that simply are not solveable by current medicine or the patients fault . I am amazed how many people cannot fathom long term suffering more then a person can bear .

More often then not subsance abuse it is used to cover up the damage done by managed care treatment regimins , corruption involved in medical are , and to discredit patients who aren't just complaining but trying to correct the waste and not finding benefit or improving .

It is used to withdraw treatement from those whom need it the most .

Vitamen D , B-12 and other b complex vitamens and especially Omega Fish oil helps me I take some hormones to specific to my body like thyroid and the Hospital System doesn't place enough empathis on their worth . It is very hard to get them balanced right when Doctors control what you get and you have to go through their issues especially in this day and age where they have impossible workloads and schedules . I

Glad the cannabis helps you it has done the same for me as well as using vitamens and hormones that most people miss or do not put enough emphathis on .

They used to give me stimulent laxatives that caused my bowels to stop working normal . I now take Naturally Calm with calcium by Peter Gillham. I think its referred to as Peter Gillhams Natural Calm . they sell it at Amazon for those with constipation and the pain it causes it may help . It is basically magnesium powder .

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Ah, miigwech nimino-wiijiiwaaganag Odawadanny and Shiningheart. (Thank you, my good friend)

bawaaganag maji-manidoog giizhiikaazo ozhichigaazo waanakiwin. (Smoked peace pipe with the Devil to clear his debts and have made peace with god. Before the council our house is in order.)

Our language is 90% actions and words are bonds of our hearts. My dance of life is a happy celebration and should not be mourned, but used to set example for our brethren joined in our plight. The Eagle has shown me that what the invaders have sown upon us we will overcome with the healing of our Mother's love, and we will be joined by all the clans in our struggle to forgive and thus ease pain and suffering to those that hear the warning of the Wolf.

We have no expiration tags, the doctors are students of life and don't have the last word. The power in our medicine bag is stronger than the demons their poison pills heap upon us. Keep the faith and bestow the Mothers' love to all.

Peace flows from our lodge to yours,

1T

1Toke my brother. Danny added my name to his letter in which I had asked him to upon his reading me it. But I thought that I may let you know a few things about my life, my loved ones who have suffered and who are still suffering. Which is why I have launched myself into this knowledge along with the gentle nudge of danny. I only wish and hate myself for not knowing of the informations of this that i do now when my Mother was ill and dieing. With everything I have learned it may have helped her dramatically.. it may have even spared her and given her a second chance to life if we had known before hand.. And then she could still be with us today able to watch her grandchildren grow as well as her children. She died at the age of 53 from COPD, diabetes, throid cancer which inevitably led to lymphmatic cancer since they hadnt caught it until her neck grew masses the size of eggs THEN they found out she had cancer.. kind of ironic since they had supposedly checked her thyroid many times for the issues she was having and even more ironic that they said she had had the cancer easily for a few yrs before it got to that point. By this time her lungs were so bad from the copd and she was soo morbidly obese because her lungs couldnt sustain her to walk a few feet without being winded soo terrible as well as the diabetes that she only had what was it 40% of her lungs working.. they couldnt even risk her surgery her chances were more high of her dieing on the table then her living thru the hell. Next step was radiation which brusied her face like she was beaten.. she then called me one day.. out of the blue.. (she was a very depressed woman and I thought to myself what is she calling to complain about now) I kick myself in the backside every day since since i found upon calling her back she was telling me goodbye.. that she loved me no matter what.. 1toke.. that was the last time i heard my mothers voice.. couple weeks later they gave her an emergency trac surgery.. she never spoke again..about a week after that.. we went down to see her.. it was hell they treated her like hell in the hospital they had her, her drs during her illness were douche bags, airway oxygen would consistently DENY her her oxygen despite her drs orders but dad never was able to get them to court over it.. etc.. and finally we left that monday after visiting her that weekend.. and i never got to say goodbye.. Dad called me wed. morning round noon.. momwas gone.. she had them pull the plugs behind us childrens backs.. she KNEW when we were there visitng that was what she had decided dam it she knew i wish she had told me / us.. darn this makes me cry.. anyways.. i seen her suffering.. i wanted to kill every damd so called crackpot dr and nurse that ever treated her like crap for the hells they put her thru worse then her own illnesses.. She LOVED her cannabis.. growing up both parents used recreationally.. it was never a big deal with us.. but if We had KNOWN the true knowledge of the variations that could have HELPED her.. my god.. I feel that she sent us into this path.. its wasnt until a yr after her passing we began to learn about this movement.. and since we have launched headfirst into every knowledge we can.. After all the mother in law is luckily still with us and suffering some of the same things my mom had amongst others, and my father who is thankfully still with us is 72yrs old, a vietnam vet, a retired president of a 1%er club and active rider for over 40yrs etc.. the man has lived more lives in his one life then an average person could ever dream of and inevitablly it has taken its toll on him.. on his body.. and he too needs help.. we are actively trying to get his butt carded as well to help him.. hes had multiple knee surgeries that will never be fully healed in his knees, back surgery, ptsd the list goes on.. So i believe that mothers hell in this life and her freedom and peace in the next - that she has guided us here.. because i feel she since she had the biggest heart for people even when they crapped on her over and over that she doesnt want others to suffer as she had.. and if there is help she was willing to help us see the light.. Danny fears I too may be going down the same path.. i have tons of issues within myself and 99% of it isnt diagnosed i havent had a primary care dr since before I left home.. some 12 yrs ago.. closest drs ive had are my obgyns for kid bearing and a few er visits.. but he fears with the way my lungs are, whit how my breathing is, how i cough or cant take certain things well that something is going on too amongst my other issues.. I dont want to go down like my mom, or my mother in law.. my god i saw i see what it does.. even my mothers father died of lung cancer and emphysema and her mom died of lung cancer and three other cancers and diabetes.. her brother died of liver failure early due to alcoholism and her sister the last one left has one lung left also due to lung cancer.. so this runs in the family and i fear it.. As much knowledge as i can get in any way is helpful for not only me but for those loved ones.. One day i hope to have my issues figured out before it is too late.. but until then.. im focusing on the loved ones faar worse off then me.. including the man who is my best friend and worst enemy but that i couldnt live without in the long run.. Danny.. So Maybe you can get a little understanding of what brings me to all of this.. of how passionate i have become in all of this.. And how i can also relate and sympathize with you in your unspeakable journey thru these hells as well as the many others suffering out there.. Youll forever have our hearts my friend.. we are honored to have had our paths cross with yours.. and we look forward to making this friendship grow and as well become face to face.. Danny and i are also talking about after the rally possibly with your permission swinging on by to see how you and your health is faring after the surgery later this month and as well to set in stone our respect for you Brother. Peace and love always and forever!! Shining

I am an information junkie so although i am not a Dr. these approaches might have validity and be appropriate for you.

Although I have and know of strains appropriate for the symptoms of arthritus I will venture away from that since there are plenty of others who can talk about that here.

Please do a Google search for info on these things. Make sure they are ok for you.

COPD. Two things that might help.

NAC N acetyl Cysteine. I take this everyday. one of the few things i have found that only had GOOD side effects. It is useful for COPD.It also will likely be useful for ones cardiac function since it lowers homocysteine which is negative. Inexpensive and also lifts mood after about half and hour. www.swansons.com is the cheapest source.

Recently it was found that beet juice increases the amount of oxygen int he blood . You can read about it at science daily. If you have COPD this will allow more exercise with accompanying benefits. Also available cheaply at swansons.

I have disc issues and BlACK COHOSH proved to be really usefull in reducing pain. I take 500mg 2x a day. Also cheaply available at swansons.

These things took years to find so make good use of the info. Best of luck.

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Wenjida ShiningHeart & Danny, the missus' mom dealt with those same issues and passed away during the winter holidays. To this day we struggle to get into any holiday spirit. My ex passed of Lupus and we know that she would have benefited from our medicine, but she was a born again "christian" and her "church" brainwashed her that it was the Devil's work and I was a demon for recommending using it. Her last year was painfully needless and a great struggle to bear. I set cannabis aside for the two decades we were together, and raised ten children before continuing the treatments. (This same "church" perjured themselves in lying about her last wishes and removing a grandchild from her mother's care, against our family's protests). We could all write volumes on the inhumanity of society.

Your trials have made you the spirit that now travels above the ignorance and pain. From these experiences I've learned to live each and every day striving for the truth and doing everything I possibly can to let those close know how I feel about them. Each day is a day of love, it is a gift to pass on, and we can't pass any opportunity to do so. A day does not go by without my loved ones knowing how much they fill my heart with joy. But I'm rambling now. LOL

As for surgery, I'm told that I've had a stroke a few days ago and this is a setback for the surgeon. He has me scheduled for another MRI with dye and consultation with another surgeon for a second opinion. The VA wants to take me out of the home because the family smokes, it just seems like one thing piled on top of another, my ojaanimakamigad (time of tribulation). I'll keep you posted on the schedules and progress or lack of, at this point I just don't know what to think. I started my bakadekaawinan (fast for vision quest), I will return after my journey with waaseyaabindamowinan (enlightenment).

Hugs from the Toke lodge.

******************************************************************************************************

Good knowledge, mrd, thank you. The missus never understood my use of beats. LOL

Will check on NAC N acetyl Cysteine and black cohosh. I am on formoterol fumarate, Spirivia (tiotropium bromide) and mometasone furate inhalers for COPD, with oxygen. Needless to say the steroids send me on a mood roller coaster, and the missus is a goddess for enduring it all.

The complications of dealing with more than one condition is the most frustrating part. Then we deal with medications for severe DDD and spine pain, and on top of that all the medications to live with the side effects of those. :notfair:

I refuse to deal with the tumor at this point in time, that's a bridge to cross later.

1T

1toke... I am terribly sorry to hear of the stroke!!!!! mY heart goes out to you hun and your family.. i know we are across the state from each other but if you need anything at all let us know.. we will do what we can for you love.. as for the quest this is good to hear.. i hope that it brings you all you need... please do let us know about the news going on.. we are very worried about you at this point and cant bear hearing whats going on as is.. Your one hellova strong man thats completely apparent.. Again honored as always... peace and love forever Brother... HUGS :)

Archived