Lock It In Your Trunk, Have A Nice Holiday

Like those of us who drive a SUV ?

Dr. Jinx

Just go to the sporting goods store and get a hunting guide- state puts them out for free- and transport it like you would a hunting rifle. Not in reach. Just common sense advice, don't need to have a law that tells you to use common sense.

Dr. Bob

By the way, just got a call from yet another patient that forgot to copy and hang on to his application. State cops took his meds, even though he had nothing to prove he was a patient, but let him go and told him to call me and get a copy. Some may complain that they took his meds, but they could have easily done that AND arrested him, because he was breaking the law by not having his paperwork in his possession. I look at it as a slow but steady change in attitude on the part of LEO in my neck of the woods. A good sign. I told him to go down to the post after he got the paperwork, and drop them off a dozen donuts to thank them for their trust and consideration.

Dr. Bob

Thanks for the response. I don't neccessarily care if someone agrees with my about any of my feelings about MMJ, but why would anyone want to give LEO another reason to mess with you in any encounter with them? My point is this - what if you had a visible prescription of a narcotic or opiate in the passenger seat of your car when pulled over for speeding, or alcohol? Have a great week Dr. Bob

Then you may well be asked (or told) to put it away so there is no easy access. There is a common problem in here, folks read the MMMA and think that is the end all, it is not.

1. There is what is SPECIFICALLY listed in the MMMA as allowed, if it is not specifically allowed, it is not allowed under the MMMA and other laws may bear. In this example, there is nothing in the MMMA that says you have to put it in the trunk (so it is an unanswered question), but more importantly there is nothing that says you can carry it in the open in easy reach of the driver. As there are rules about open intoxicants within reach of the driver, the request to put it in the trunk is perfectly reasonable. Had it been sitting on the seat, next to a cold pipe and a book of matches, it would be very reasonable to treat it as an open intoxicant and arrest or ticket the driver.

2. Like alcohol, which is ALLOWED for those 21 years of age and older, there are restrictions. Can't have it in schools, in jail, in public. Etc. Other laws prohibit driving under the influence, having an open container, etc. So you have rules/laws for alcohol, rules for the use of alcohol, and rules concerning what you may not do if you have used alcohol. All these need to be brought together every time there is an issue. The courts do this, and the results are rulings that tell us how a law is to be interpreted. Redden in our case brought together the MMMA and the Medical Practice Act/Public Health Code, two separate laws and came up with an interpretation and a concurring opinion. Most of the complaints about it in here dealt only with the MMMA and didn't take into account Medical Practice and all the laws regulating that. The Courts did.

The bottom line is that this was a positive encounter, a police officer made a reasonable request, let's just show we are law abiding citizens and follow it without trying to argue with him. The constitution says we have the freedom of speech to drive the speed limit and flip a trooper off as we drive past, but there is a difference between what we CAN do and what we SHOULD do. Let's concentrate on building our numbers and fostering good relations when we have encounters with LEO.

Dr. Bob

the bottom line is only police, local governments, and those that profit from the secrecy want you to hide it. I AM NOT GOING TO LOCK 2 GRAMS OF CANNABIS IN MY TRUNK BECAUSE THE POLICE DONT WANT TO SEE IT. 63% OF THE VOTERS SAID I DONT HAVE TO. PERIOD.

there is no wording in the law that forces us as patients and caregivers to hide the plants, medicine or paraphernalia, The more of us that take the keep it secret attitude, the easier it is going to be for the powers that be to continue harassing us as patients and caregivers. People have had to hide for so long, it seems the status quo. Well that status quo has changed. we are legal, we have the conditions that qualify us, we have the law. The law that was created to keep overzealous and over powered hardliners that think their battle will ensure a profitable future for their careers both financially, and politically. And they will if we as patients and caregivers continue to believe that we are in the wrong for being. Being alive, being patients, being human. Folks, I didnt intend for this to turn into a rant for everyone to run out and burn in the streets. But this attitude that we need to stay hidden and accept that we are in the wrong because the people with the guns say so. Well as their employers (make no mistake about it, they do work for us) we have the power and the authority to change that. The federal government cannot stop the medical marihuana movement, if they could, then there would be 0 states with medical marihuana laws. localities will raid, they will kill, they will steal but they will run out of finances and support soon enough as we stand up and say "yes, this is marihuana, i am a patient, leave me alone".

color it any way you want, the longer we suffer secret patient syndrome the easier it is going to be for them to abuse us. There is safety in numbers, how many of you will stand up for your rights when they come to violate you? within your limits? too bad, none of your neighbors know the cops are there cause your growing MEDICAL CANNABIS LEGALLY, since it is secret, they are just going to assume your a drug dealer. There goes your reputation with your community, any trust you have cultivated with them, and the stigma of being a DRUG DEALER.

Sure you say, Robert are you going to be that guy? when it comes down to it yes, I will, im not afraid anymore, im legal, im 100% within my limits, within my rights, and darn it, im a Michigan citizen.

When it comes down to it, the powers that be are wasting a lot of time and resources hunting down patients like some plot for a b movie. They will not accept that in this matter the law was constructed to keep them at bay, to protect us from them and it does just that. It keeps them away from our medicine, and out of our lives, homes, pockets and wallets. This is the crux behind the heavy handed lockdown that the authorities are enacting. The fact that they have lost control of the biggest financial stream they have ever known kills them. They are panicked, and will pay dearly in the long run for their actions against the will of the people. The law protects us from them, they cannot accept that. I think they were caught off guard when the law passed, and those that pay to support keeping them in power are now losing money, clout, power and control. It wont be long before they realize that they are draining the coffers and are not winning anymore because they dont have a legal leg to stand on.

OH the children!

i almost forgot them and the JC puppies

Another area where they are losing ground fast is with the youth in our state. Too bad. Too bad parents have recognized that the rhetoric being spewed to the kids and puppies is as inaccurate and fear mongering in regards to marihuana and have decided that the truth shall set them free. Im glad parents and the media have had the fortitude to throw this topic into the mainstream so our kids are exposed to the debate. Parents have taken to educating their children about the plant and the medicine it produces long before the programs can corrupt them. DARE for example. Im all for the program, as long as the information is educational, not fear mongering. My daughter had several questions about marihuana that the professionals instructing just couldn't answer. for example "why do we see medical marihuana patients getting arrested if there is a law for them?" he told her to ask her parents. that was the response for alot of mmj questions she said. They pounded the neg effects of nicotine, and she says that it is the new gateway drug, and if you start smoking your going to end up down the path that will lead you to become A sick dying junkie in jail or an institution. Hmmm 2 years ago when my son went through dare, marihuana was the gateway to loserville. so why the change in attitude? why is nicotine not a controlled substance? they are teaching the kids that nicotine kills you, and have the direct evidence to support it, unbiased and unfettered, yet it isnt considered a controlled substance.

Stand up and be free Patients and caregivers

Food for thought people

God bless all of those on the front lines in the courts, you will be remembered in the book some of us are keeping that will define the battle for Michigans Medical Marihuana.

Passionate response and I am sure there will be those in here that agree with both positions. Safety and compliance has its place, so does confrontation and test cases. My only input is to pick your battles and the best defense is numbers- total number of patients, patients in jury pools, and education of primary care doctors so they start writing certs.

Don't discount the value of giving rope to LEO and letting him make mistakes so that he can be brought on the legal carpet. Read about the problem in Muskegon with Derek and Sam. This sounds like a clear case of LEO asking for a major lawsuit, and bankrupting the Muskegon Police Dept/Prosecutor/County is a great example to make. Sometimes letting them make clear mistakes can really help. But in this case I would put it in the trunk for the reasons I outlined. Do I have to? Arguments on both sides, but this isn't the type of fight I want to make, and I think it was a reasonable request from a friendly officer.

Dr. Bob

I am sorry but that is offensive and uncalled for. I don't agree with your position, but it is a valid one and I respected both it and you.

Dr. Bob

I thought it was sort of funny. Some times it takes some shocking crap like that to get people to loosen up on their preconceived notions.

From a practical perspective for most of us it should be locked and sealed and out of the passenger compartment (just to be safe). For an activist, within their rights under the law it's an opportunity. If you're within the law, you're good right!? Hope I don't ever know.........

Drive safe everyone. Dr. Bob & Hempchef keep up the good work!

I thought it was sort of funny. Some times it takes some shocking crap like that to get people to loosen up on their preconceived notions.

From a practical perspective for most of us it should be locked and sealed and out of the passenger compartment (just to be safe). For an activist, within their rights under the law it's an opportunity. If you're within the law, you're good right!? Hope I don't ever know.........

Drive safe everyone. Dr. Bob & Hempchef keep up the good work!

Tell that to my step dad, he had 30 mission over Germany and nightmares to this day. It is not funny.

Dr. Bob

alright alright, but the point is still valid. If we continue down the shady path of their suggestion, as legitimate patients and caregivers, where does it end? Parents of the hitler youth thought they were ensuring the safety and security of their homeland. But after soo many people went along with it, hey guess what, it must be the right thing to do.

lock it in the glovebox. ok officer. next cop says keep it in the trunk, but officer the other officer told me i can keep it in the glovebox. Keep it in a locked box, in the trunk, under some newspaper with an additional locking mechanism to prevent intrusion. When will it end? This matter is not for leo to decide or to judge or recommend. It in fact is their duty in the case of a legitimate patient or caregiver to walk away. To walk away. It is that simple. The law states clearly that the medicine is not to be siezed. period. it is as plain as can be in the law. They cant take it, But of course these arent matters for LEO to decide so its of to jail, and let the court sort.

Unfortunatly we are in an volatile period for this law. It is under attack by a small group of people that have taken on the task (against taxpayers wishes im sure) of spending what little resources they do have to test every letter in every word of the law as they honestly believe the law is a tool for them to eradicate marihuana users. We are not 5 or 10 years down the road since its enactment, when it is commonplace to see patients and caregivers frequenting establishments that are for patients and caregivers. We are in the thick of the battle for implementation. We are the patients and caregivers that are going to pave the new way for cannabis. The new example to be followed by generations of patients and caregivers beyond us. We are the patients and caregivers that are going to stand up for the rights of not just current patients and caregivers, but the basic right for the future patients and caregivers in this state to not be afraid to seek a better medicine. A safer medicine. A medicine not formulated in a laboratory with chemicals and chemicals, and what else, oh yeah, the synthetic chemicals. The organ destroying, profit generating chemicals.

Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness, these are the simple things that we require as humans to exist, the very foundation of our country is rooted in that phrase yet people continue to step on it as if they have never been pondered.

63% of the voters in the state of michigan declared quite clearly on that fateful day that we no longer have to hide our medicine in this state. That is 6 out of the 10 houses around you, around me, around the prosecutors and the judges. 6/10 of their neighbors, 6/10 of their families, 6/10 of themselves. (ironically, in oakland county wasnt it closer to 70%=7/10) This wasnt the effort of a few people to get this far and gain this much support, It was every patient and caregiver that needs to use or wants to use cannabis as an alternative for their medicinal needs and ordinary people that knew or know someone that cannabis had an impact on. The propaganda hasnt worked in mainstream local media, it has only backfired and instead brought awareness of the flagrant rights violations and vindictive, unethical methods that opposition forces are using to try to penetrate the law that was designed and constructed to protect us. From them. well, maybe only 4 out of 10 of them.

6 out of 10. Thats 6 people around you right now that dont mind your medicine. Sounds like a better head start than Rosa had eh?

Once again, good valid point. That is what debate and conversation involves.

Dr. Bob

all due respect Dr. Bob, Just want to make it clear that im not bashing you in any way, this prolly should have been posted in the rally speech thread, doh

in regards to being offensive, if your stepdad was in the hitler youth, which i doubt if he was slaying them from airplanes, then i apologize for insulting him and his heritage.

I am sorry but that is offensive and uncalled for. I don't agree with your position, but it is a valid one and I respected both it and you.

Dr. Bob

Honestly i dont see the offensive connection but i apologize anyhow.

Archived