Holder (Doj): Feds And States Should Work Something Out.

greenbuddha

US AG Says He'll Work with RI, Other States on MMJPosted by CN Staff on June 02, 2011 at 14:19:46 PT

By W. Zachary Malinowski, Journal Staff Writer

Source: Providence Journal

medical.gif Providence, R.I. -- U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder suggested Thursday that the Justice Department will work with governors and other states to reach a satisfactory resolution of the establishment of dispensaries that sell marijuana to patients in state-sponsored medical marijuana programs.

"We are in the process of working these issues with the U.S. attorney for Rhode Island and other U.S. attorneys across the country,'' he said. "My hope is that something in the not too distant future .... will be addressed.''

Holder's cautious comments came during a news conference at The Institute for the Study & Practice of Nonviolence in the city's South End. He toured the recently refurbished facility on Oxford Street with Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse; Peter F. Neronha, the U.S. attorney for Rhode Island, and state Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin.

Afterward, Holder appeared at a news conference where he was peppered with questions about the Justice Department's position on dispensaries, also known as compassion centers, that sell marijuana to patients who smoke marijuana to deal with chronic pain and other debilitating ailments.

Last month, Neronha delivered a letter to Governor Chafee, saying that the federal authorities may prosecute anyone affiliated with the three dispensaries that the Health Department selected to sell medicinal marijuana in Rhode Island. Chafee got the message and placed a hold on the licensing of the three centers.

Meanwhile, federal prosecutors in other states opening, or considering opening dispensaries, issued similar threats. Those states include Vermont, Maine, Montana and Colorado.

In Washington state, the two U.S. attorneys there, Mike Ormsby and Jenny Durkan, went one step further. They said that anyone working in state government that licenses or regulates medical marijuana could be subject to arrest and prosecution. As a result, Gov. Chris Gregoire vetoed key pieces of a medical marijuana law, saying she didn't want to place state employees at risk.

Today, Holder sidestepped questions about whether he would support raids or the arrest of state employees in Rhode Island. He repeatedly said that he hopes more discussions between federal and state officials will led to a fair resolution.

From The Providence Journal Blog.

Source: Providence Journal, The (RI)

Author: W. Zachary Malinowski, Journal Staff Writer

Published: June 2, 2011

Copyright: 2011 The Providence Journal Company

URL: http://drugsense.org/url/WP747lA9

CannabisNews Medical Marijuana Archives

http://cannabisnews....t/medical.shtml

<BR clear=all>

Home Comment Email Register Recent Comments Help facebook.gif stumble.gif

I'm very suspicious of all this, when govt says they're talking or working things out or whatever it is they say they're doing, like it's their idea, like they're the big diplomat/negotiator, come to save the day, come to fix things- as if they're being reasonable, I know they have a hidden agenda but it ain't as much of a secret as they may think, or hope. They want full control and they have big pharma. The greed machine is gearing up to be in full swing, don't be fooled. :(

Sb

Guest Happy Guy

They say they are working with Rhode Island. This is interesting because Rhode Island's medical cannabis law is very much like ours. One major difference is that Rhode Island understood that their law didn't afford for dispensaries so they passed amendments to make them legal. They also passed one to help with patient to patient transfers for NO money.

This is right in line with the federal statement that they will work with what is legal in the state's cannabis laws. At face value, one could assume that Michigan would need the same amendments as Rhode Island to enjoy the protections they afford dispensaries and transfers.

From my own personal perspective, I'm glad they are working with a state with a patient friendly law, like Rhode Island, rather than a law that has nothing good to offer patients, like the Arizona medical cannabis law. Arizona needs to re think a lot of things. Their governor is out of touch with what will help her constituent patients.

My concern is the feds are impeding on States' rights, dictating to them what to do. It's all about control, that's all it ever was, that's all it ever will be. Governments exist to feed themselves, and damm anyone who gets in their way. It only exists for itself, not us. Mastere and servants. NOT if I can help it. Whenever they interfere, The People get hurt.

Sb

I agree with you Silverblue. Seems the idea of representing the constituents has gone out the window. All they seem to be concerned about is not getting sued. That's why we gotta sue the pants off people that think they are going to push us around.

is this it?. could we be close to a logical open dialogue?

Logical open dialogue? With politicians? :lol:

The Feds say that THC has no medicinal value at all. NONE. Yet then establishes how companies can use a synthetic form for medical purposes... If THC has no medical value at all, why would you synthesize it for medical purposes? Anyway, that's my take on logical and our legislators.

My concern is the feds are impeding on States' rights, dictating to them what to do. It's all about control, that's all it ever was, that's all it ever will be. Governments exist to feed themselves, and damm anyone who gets in their way. It only exists for itself, not us. Mastere and servants. NOT if I can help it. Whenever they interfere, The People get hurt.

Sb

I am with you on this one, Silver !!!

Dr. jinx

I have never trusted Holder and I NEVER will !!!!

Yep. I believe it to be all about' manipulation and control' ANY time a government agency is involved.

But the more we know of what 'they' (government both State and Federal) are 'presenting' to us the better we can, hopely, make the moves we will need to make to keep our 'law' and to make it less likely or legally impossible for the 'government' to undermine it or change it.

But as long as the 'States' have the anti-MMJ 'Federal' laws to fall back on we are going to be kept VERY busy indeed.

Audio recording of U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder discussing medical marijuana 06/02/11

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wrni/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=1810914

PROVIDENCE, RI (WRNI) - Full audio of U.S. Attorney Eric Holder's response to reporter questions about federal medical marijuana policy. Recorded during his June 2nd visit to the Institute for the Study and Practice of Non-violence in Providence. © Copyright 2011,

Archived