Growing Problem With Plants

CHILLPILL

I've been having problems with my leaves curling at the top of the plant. I have had them on a light cycle of 16hrs on and 8hrs off. It is a 1000W high pressure sodium about 3ft above the plants. I water them every morning. Needless to say I am a novice at this and am trying to learn the ropes. Is there any suggestions you can give me to help this plant return to good health?

heat and humidity can cause that. are the leaves drying or spotting in any way? pics can be helpful to get others to see what may be going on. as many more details about the environment, strain, media, would be helpful as well. hope things straighten out for you there.

Sounds like its too hot. Leaves curl upwards are trying to transpire.....whats the temp in your room?

Watering everyday is a little overboard as well, I would let them dry out a little bit between watering, water logged roots don't make happy plants.

Welcome CHILL,

If you don't already have a 40x microscope, get one. Might find one at a local grow supply store or online. I have one like this microscope but there are several out there to choose from.

Scope your leaves, you might be supprised what you find. Eradication of creepy crawlies might be required.

Best regards.

I've been having problems with my leaves curling at the top of the plant. I have had them on a light cycle of 16hrs on and 8hrs off. It is a 1000W high pressure sodium about 3ft above the plants. I water them every morning. Needless to say I am a novice at this and am trying to learn the ropes. Is there any suggestions you can give me to help this plant return to good health?

Stop watering them every morning and give them a chance to dry out.

dude above posted right - if it curled up - it is trying to transpire due to heat.

You do have a temp/hygro meter? that tells you the temperature and humidity. You want to keep it stable - 60 to 80, you want to stay away from 90 degrees, or avoid above 86 degrees. You should have an oscillating fan to move air, as there can be air pockets of heat and humidity.

If you fail to control the temp and humidity, your next problem will be powdery mildew, and mites.

Get to a club that educates its members about growing and pest - check out my pics at www.thc4u.com

-DN

Also - what size pot? If you are watering every morning - and its because it is dry - the pots are too small. For a 18" plant it should be in a 5 gallon pot. If you intend to grow to 5' (not unreasonable), you might want to try a 7 or 10 gallon pot. If you stick your fingers into the top of the soil and you hit root immediately, its getting root bound. As long as you are not into flower, you can transplant into bigger pots. Transplanting can stall growth for up to 5 days, but it will grow BIG due to more space in the pot.

Get the Jorge Cervante's book - Medical Marijuana Grower's bible - its a good reference book with pictures.

-DN

dude above posted right - if it curled up - it is trying to transpire due to heat.

You do have a temp/hygro meter? that tells you the temperature and humidity. You want to keep it stable - 60 to 80, you want to stay away from 90 degrees, or avoid above 86 degrees. You should have an oscillating fan to move air, as there can be air pockets of heat and humidity.

If you fail to control the temp and humidity, your next problem will be powdery mildew, and mites.

Get to a club that educates its members about growing and pest - check out my pics at www.thc4u.com

-DN

My girls live in vented 5 and 7 gallon pots and can go upto 3 days without water.

Do you use the "Plant Warrior Pots" from The Cultivation Station? They have a raised, screen dome on the bottom of the pot. I like how they ensure the rootball airs out. Soil mix also matters - I noticed I had to water more often with straight Fox Farm Ocean Forest. But when I mix it with heavier Fox Farm Happy Frog - it holds moisture longer - so I can go longer between watering.

Defo' on the lifting of the pot, it helps to test if it is dry. I also stick my fingers into the soil to dig down to see how dry it is. I do a 'landscaping' of sorts to break up the soil on the top, break compaction - to allow air. Marijuana likes to get close to dry, you will see a jump in vigor. Do not let it wilt.

One more tip, if you have pot holders to catch water you poured in the pot - do not leave standing water. Standing water becomes brackish - no oxygen bubbles - and any roots caught in that wet zone of brackish water can sufficate and die. Drain the water from the pans.

-DN

Do you use the "Plant Warrior Pots" from The Cultivation Station? They have a raised, screen dome on the bottom of the pot. I like how they ensure the rootball airs out. Soil mix also matters - I noticed I had to water more often with straight Fox Farm Ocean Forest. But when I mix it with heavier Fox Farm Happy Frog - it holds moisture longer - so I can go longer between watering.

-DN

No, I built my own buckets using a 5 inch layer of hydroton on the bottom. Then a layer of coco fiber mat with holes cut to fit 1' pvc pipes for venting. Then I top it all with my organic soil mix which consist of at least 20% large chunk perilite.

Im also testing out a couple 7 gallon smart pots to see how they compare to my home made pots.

I let my girls dry out and only give them enough water to stay healthy.

[/quot

Please Help when i try to download my pictures i get error msg" this file was too big to upload, how do i make pic small enough to updoad pics.

Thanks for any help

pics in my gallery, I do not know how to put them here. Please view and advise me as what to do.

Thank you

Please see pic in my gallery. Thanks for help.

That little lady is is sick. The learning is painful! Stop watering so much. What kind of nutes are you using? I tried 27 ways to kill my first grow, and still harvested every plant. This takes some getting used to... this growing thing. I would flush the plant with water, equal to the size of the container. Then let her dry out for several days, and slowly re-introduce nutes. These plants want to grow! It really takes a lot to kill that. Get them flushed, and let the soil dry out out a bit, and slowly bring the nutes back up. The old growth may not recover, but the new growth should be fine. Tell us about your set up. What kind of nutes are you using? What kind of lights, and schedule? Where's the water coming from? What's the pH? Going in, and at run off? You are learning a lot from this, so don't be discouraged. It get better!

How come cowbells isn't in here tellin this guy how to get his 576 zips? Sorry... just couldn't help myself.

Archived