New And Looking For Some Advice

I am a professional mother with chronic health issues. Because conventional treatments were not helping and were making some of my symptoms worse, my family physician suggested to me several times that I may want to try medical marijuana. I finally applied for my permit in June of this year. My check was cashed and I have all my a paperwork, but I still have not been sent a card. In August, I used marijuana for the first time in my life. Long story short, I have had huge benefits that have changed my life. I was getting medical marijuana from Omi Choice, a dispensary in Mt. Pleasant, but that is obviously no long an option.

I feel quite lost as to where to go now. I see people posting here to find caregivers but I feel so new to all of this and would like more information on how to find a safe, legal, and confidential way to get medication. Growing my own supply is not an option. Thank you for any help!

• 3 weeks later...

I know what you mean. For some reason, I felt "taken" when it came to finding the right caregiver. As a patient with cancer, I wanted compassion and understanding, I got high prices that I could not afford and an attitude of "well, go find someone else then" many times before I found my current caregiver. He's raising his prices, so I need to find another caregiver again....NOT looking forward to the process. I am finding a lot of greed and a lot of pride. Pride in the grow is good, but charging me enough for an oz to pay your electric bill for the last 2 months is not reasonable either. I understand it isn't free to grow the stuff, but some of the pricing is just downright sinful for a patient. I'm under pressure to pay COBRA insurance, mortgage, food, utilities, along with all the other little bills, and have very little left over for the very thing that makes me tick/live. Sad. I wish you luck in finding a caregiver, and I sure hope I have good luck finding a new one.

I am a professional mother with chronic health issues. Because conventional treatments were not helping and were making some of my symptoms worse, my family physician suggested to me several times that I may want to try medical marijuana. I finally applied for my permit in June of this year. My check was cashed and I have all my a paperwork, but I still have not been sent a card. In August, I used marijuana for the first time in my life. Long story short, I have had huge benefits that have changed my life. I was getting medical marijuana from Omi Choice, a dispensary in Mt. Pleasant, but that is obviously no long an option.

I feel quite lost as to where to go now. I see people posting here to find caregivers but I feel so new to all of this and would like more information on how to find a safe, legal, and confidential way to get medication. Growing my own supply is not an option. Thank you for any help!

I understand your concerns with the system we are basically stuck with. Dispensaries are always going to be more expensive as they have higher overhead. They are not clearly covered by the Medical Marijuana laws at this time. Caregivers can be anyone and are completely unregulated as to experience and quality and prices.

I am patient who has always been a gardener. So for me growing my own medicine was a win-win, I was lucky. I have one patient that was actually referred to me by my doctor. He has known me for many years and asked if I was interested. It worked out well and she has just resigned me for another year. Unfortunately most people are not that lucky to have someone that they can trust act as an intro service. The next best thing in my opinion

is a local marijuana compassion club. It’s a great place to meet people like yourself and get referrals to qualified gardeners who can help you. Make sure to discuss your needs and type of medications you’re are looking for and the pricing. Also, it only costs 10.00 to change caregivers. If it doesn’t work out move on quickly

I'm also having the same questions? Confused about dispensaries vs caregivers. Could anyone who sent a PM maybe copy it and send it to me? Don't want you to have to recreate the wheel.

ANd 2 of my PMs say topic deleted. What does that mean? Or why were they deleted?

"topic deleted" in your PM's means the other participant cleared out their "inbox" and deleted that topic/PM

Part of the problem is a lot of caregivers are patients. I am looking to become a caregiver at some point myself because the cost of the grow (in terms of time and money) has been crippling. Because of a lot of unforeseen problems, and between materials, power bills, and the cost of living in a bigger apartment to accomodate the grow (higher rent), it has cost probably $3000 in the last 6 months. I've lived at half the poverty line for 8 years... trust me, most of us aren't rolling in dough... there are some that are, but there's a lot less of them since teh dispensaries shut down, anyone rolling in big bucks right now is probably breaking the law... those who jump in now expecting to make a quick buck (legally) are in for a rude surprise cause it ain't happening...

Growing takes a ton of time, time that could be spent working for a paycheck. I know it can be really hard to afford meds, ,but, for the grower, they cannot afford to give them away either. If they can't get some income from it they will have to shut down and get hired at some 9-5 somewhere instead. It is really sad but it's just how it is... many of us are in the same position you are, that is, having almost nothing.

Now some of the dispensary prices were just ridiculous, but impoverished growers really can't give up ounces for the cost of the electric. There is so much more that goes into it (nutes, pesticides, soils, buckets, pumps, airstones, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, carbon filters, RO filters, inline fans, meters, timers, hoods, bulbs, tents, genetics, risk of getting raided by the DEA, risk of getting evicted by the landlord, risk of getting robbed and shot, no vacations because you need to check the plants daily, and most of all TIME). Without reasonable compensation it just isn't sustainable. I actually think I could make more working retail than doing this... it is almost a sacrifice to choose this path... but this is more important work and worthwhile. Just remember, we are under the same financial pressures as you are, and most caregivers are patients (and therefore sick) as well... :(

This is why we need single payer healthcare... without it we're just shuffling our peanuts. We're all sick and poor and no one has much to give. The sick can't be expected to work and so it's ridiculous to expect them to pay for all their treatments. But I digress...

That’s why I said I was lucky. As someone who has always had a fondness for gardening all my life this is a “labor of love” not finance. I look forward to going in the garden everyday and enjoy being able do this year round. My one patient really benefited from it. I have not put a cost to my grow but I know I have never made a financial profit from it.

The people who are able to make a living as a caregiver and still giving their patients the quality medication they are entitled to have my deepest respect. As it certainly must be a tough deal trying to balance time and expenses so they can have some left over for themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

All I can say is bless those that can do this. I wouldn't be here without you.

I still say that some of the pricing is downright sinful! $500/oz? for real? come on now.... At those prices, I guess I'd stick with the pain pills. I can't afford that!

I do want to say though that the dispensary here on West Main in Kazoo, is compassionate and has always worked with me in regard to making sure I have what I need and have worked with the available "donation" money I have in my pocket. I've never been greedy in asking them for more or a better price either. Yesterday, I described my recent results from the cancer center.

I am so glad I've found a caregiver that will be able to continually supply my needs at a price I can afford.

Life is getting better, and now that I'm living again...it's that much sweeter!

Good luck to those looking for a caregiver! I hope you find the best of the best like I have!

Yes, I do go to the dispensary even though I have a caregiver. I mentioned before that I consume more than most, this isn't an issue for the caregiver, but he's between cycles and has little available for smoking...he has oils, capsules, medibles etc. though. I just like to relax with a little smoke.

Anyway, I like the dispensary on West Main, and I love to give them feedback so that they have it for future customers. The people that work there are great people that make you feel at "home" too.

They aren't accepting any new patients at this time, but if when they do, this is definately a great alternative or a place to "mix it up" a bit, like I do! LOL I can't do it often, and I don't ever do any large amounts, but I do like to see what is out there, to see the test results on strains etc. because they test.

I haven't had a chance to dig, but is there some thread in here that talks about dispensary experiences/reviews? If there isn't one, I think it might be helpful for others? Just an idea.....

Yes, I do go to the dispensary even though I have a caregiver. I mentioned before that I consume more than most, this isn't an issue for the caregiver, but he's between cycles and has little available for smoking...he has oils, capsules, medibles etc. though. I just like to relax with a little smoke.

Anyway, I like the dispensary on West Main, and I love to give them feedback so that they have it for future customers. The people that work there are great people that make you feel at "home" too.

They aren't accepting any new patients at this time, but if when they do, this is definately a great alternative or a place to "mix it up" a bit, like I do! LOL I can't do it often, and I don't ever do any large amounts, but I do like to see what is out there, to see the test results on strains etc. because they test.

I haven't had a chance to dig, but is there some thread in here that talks about dispensary experiences/reviews? If there isn't one, I think it might be helpful for others? Just an idea.....

Is the place youre talking about PARC???

Archived