Spider Mites In Soil?

ernst

• 1 month later...

A little late, but don't waste your money on SNS products, or any other "organic pesticide," they're universally complete ripoffs. Look at the ingredients and mix up something yourself. I used something identical to a SNS product, except instead of being something crazy like 30-40 bucks a bottle, it cost me more like... 10 cents. Literally. Don't believe the bs hype that they use a "special kind of rosemary" or whatever other crap people say to try to justify it... it's not true.

I successfully eradicated root aphids using rosemary oil from a health food store, 1/4tsp shaken up with a gallon of water and a squirt of soap... very deadly to them. Peppermint is also extremely effective, try to switch to a different pesticide every few weeks, or they will start developing resistance. You need to treat your soil once a week for probably 2 months to have any chance of eradicating them - there's always stragglers in soil that make it through each treatment due to little air pockets. Switching to hydro allowed me to permanently eliminate them in one treatment (dunked all the DWC plants in a bucket of rosemary oil + soapy water and left them there for 30 minutes with the air pump off).

Come on now!!! You did not get any size of rosemary oil for a dime!!! I'd say min. $4.99 just for an ounce of oil, and was it soap or detergent??? surely a dimes worth and then add the de-ionized water!

I will be the first to admit prices for anything medical marijuana is typically OVER PRICED!!! Some people even use water and isopropl acholol without killing em' Just my 2cents, Judge

The amount of rosemary I use for a liter of pesticide is probably worth 10 cents, yes. I got a 2fl oz bottle for 4 or 5 bucks, which is 60ml. 1/4 tsp is about 1ml so 5 bucks divided by 60 is 8 cents. The deionized water I make myself using a RO filter and it takes no more than a drop of cheap soap.

Try what I described - 1/4tsp of rosemary oil in a gallon of water with a few drops of soap, or 1/4tsp of peppermint oil if they're resistant to that... it's very effective in my experience. Three treatments, five days apart (so 15 days total), make absolutely sure you get every last bit of the leaves saturated with it... spray it while holding your hand around the branches, slowly moving upward, it makes sure the undersides get soaked. After 30-60 minutes rinse it all off with clean water so the leaves don't get burned by it.

Believe it or not praying mantises do great at killing mites and alot of other pests.. but they are only good for mites when they are small (fresh hatch).. and they are kinda cool after they get bigger.. Once they are bigger i let them outside and start another nest..:thumbsu:

They dont kill them selfs on the lights or fans.. and they like to stay put on the plants..

Edited by Green-Nubie

Examine some of the bottoms of your leaves by looking at them from the bottom up toward your veg/flowering bulb, by using the leaf to block the bulb directly. When you view them like this, it will backlight your leaves from the top and you will be able to see fairly clearly if there is any activity on the underside of your leaves.

Occasionally, and I mean occasionally regular spiders will find theier way into your grow and move around via webs, so on rare occasions some string webbing will be standard house spiders but if the webbing has any density to it at all its likely mites. If you use stakes to hold your plants mites love running up and down those also, so just putting a stake in the plant you think has a problem will probably have little guys running on it in a day or two if you have them.

Just be careful that the mites dont take up living quarters inside of your bamboo stakes. I switched to metal and plastic after I saw them going into a bamboo stake to hang out...

I love lavender and I am thinking of growing some in the room. Aphids, moths, and mites plus other pests hate lavender. When I was heavy into roses I put lavender near by and never had problems with aphids after that. Makes a great alternative to moth balls.

Love the praying mantis idea. :)

post-27568-0-31055600-1332614230_thumb.jpg

I have a lavender plant in my grow. She lives in a 5 gallon pot and is about 3 feet across and smells wonderful. I also keep a small pot of marigolds and a 5 gallon pot with a huge rosemary in it for that same purpose. I also have a serious mite infestation that I have been fighting for the past couple of weeks.

I am using three different products, alternatively. First I used Garden Safe 3 way (fungicide, miticide and insecticide), second, I use Fruit Tree Spray also 3 way and finally I use AzaMax. The little bassturds don't stand a chance. I hope!

You may harvest as soon as the following day of application with each of these if I am not mistaken.

As for me, I either eat or smoke the little pukes, little extra protein won't hurt. I will make full disclosure, you have to decide if you want to ingest them for yourself!

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

\

I agree with you Medcnman, Azamax is a very safe product, plus I heard it could be ingested (not as a dietary thing) just heard that's what a rep from the company did to show how safe it is for humans. I have used it on plants that had mites. Like I said, HAD! I spray it on every pre-flowering plant that goes into the flower room. No more mites since! And it's been two years since I have been using it....GOOD STUFF MAN! :jig::cold: </p>

do you guys know of a good place to learn about raising mantis's?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz why waste your energy on raising beneficial bugs, when you can use a very safe product on the market named "Azamaz" Just mix as directed and safe for human consumption too!

A teaspoon of old fashion dish soap in a 24 oz bottle of water works wonders, bugs hate the soap.

Do not use soap that contains oxy agents, grease cutters or orange based soaps.

Palmolive dish soap comes to mind as I think of what I used on my grow. Does not harm plants and can be rinsed off after the bugs die.

No expensive chems for me :) If you feel you may have a problem with a batch of soil you can place it in an old stock pot and bake it at 350 for an hr.

That will kill any insect larva etc. ( prier to use )

Edited by Fat Freddy