New Petition Drive For Michigan

Please respect the wishes of this site. I can't discuss the merits of this petition. Not here on this site.

If you'd like to help, that would be wonderful.

OK .. anyone interested in working this petition drive, send Matt Able an email.

In the subject line just put the single word "peanutbutter." That way Matt can easily pick them out.

At the top of the letter put your:

Name

Address

phone number

I'm guessing they need local team co-coordinators right now.

I'm doing what I can to get money in the pockets of people from day one. I think we can, but there might be some legal snag. Should have the answer pretty soon about that.

I'll post an email address to send it to shortly.

There is discussions and updates here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MichiganNORML

This is for a petition to get something on the ballot in 2012.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pb, There is no rule on this site against discussing legalization or initiatives. Is there a petition. If so we don't want to be ground ponders, we want to be contributors of the text. Norml members are contributing. We should have a copy of the text and be able to submit any changes we determine are appropriate Thanks, Bb

Thanks bb. We need to take the felonies out of possession and cultivation to best protect patients. Thanks. And notice how the petition defines a plant. Big help.

Ok guys, this needs to be posted here. All the details... We can't fight against that which we do not know. I guess I missed the part about curtailing political action or discussion which is a vital discussion in order to preserving our law.

I have been wanting to talk about it.

I was informed that if I wanted to talk about it to go to a Michigan NORML site instead of here.

Now we have only a few days left to get the printing presses running.

Many people here already have a copy of the proposal language.

I don't care much about the exact verbiage. I know that I should.

In 2008, most of the people went into the ballot booth and saw one word "marihuana" and cast their vote. A very small percentage of people voting had actually read the details. A small minority of people made up the slice that were the tipping slice. Those were the people that said yes, but only in very limited situations.

Most people, that voted yes, just saw "marihuana" and said yes. I'm one of those people.

Nice touch.

THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN IS MANDATED TO PURSUE FEDERAL DESCHEDULING OF MARIHUANA THROUGH ADMINISTRATIVE AND JUDICIAL AVENUES TO EFFECTUATE THE WILL OF THE VOTERS OF MICHIGAN IN REMOVING MARIHUANA FROM THE FEDERAL SCHEDULE I CLASSIFICATION.

NO CASE INVOLVING MARIHUANA SHALL BE REFERRED FOR FEDERAL PROSECUTION BY ANY STATE OR LOCAL AGENCY IN MICHIGAN UNLESS THERE IS SOME OTHER SUSPECTED VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW IN THAT SAME CASE THAT DOES NOT INVOLVE THE POSSESSION, MANUFACTURE OR TRANSPORTATION OF MARIHUANA.

LOCAL GOVERNMENT SHALL NOT PROHIBIT MARIHUANA CULTIVATION, SALE, TRANSFER, DELIVERY, USE IN ASSOCIATION WITH OTHERS, CONSUMPTION, BODILY INTERNAL POSSESSION, OR POSSESSION, BUT MAY REGULATE COMMERCE THROUGH APPROPRIATE COMMERCIAL ZONING REGULATIONS.

Does local government include state government? So could they still apply the prescribed penalties under state law? I don't see anything to prevent them from doing so.

Does local government include state government? So could they still apply the prescribed penalties under state law? I don't see anything to prevent them from doing so.

The only way local government could be involved is to regulate it as commerce. Guess breaking those local rules could be feloneous, but only for commercial activities, not personal use or non-commercial cultivation.

It is a very unique proposal. Unique to Michigan. Should go along way in protecting patients from felony charges.

Not sure where it leaves caregivers. Guess one could argue that as only costs can be reimbursed under the MMMA, that it isn't commerce and cannot be regulated as commerce. Not sure.

NO CASE INVOLVING MARIHUANA SHALL BE REFERRED FOR FEDERAL PROSECUTION BY ANY STATE OR LOCAL AGENCY IN MICHIGAN UNLESS THERE IS SOME OTHER SUSPECTED VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW IN THAT SAME CASE THAT DOES NOT INVOLVE THE POSSESSION, MANUFACTURE OR TRANSPORTATION OF MARIHUANA.

what does this mean for gun ownership?

Archived