Leukemia Patient Living In Indiana

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here. I've read through a decent amount of threads related to obtaining a card for non-residents of Michigan, but I feel like I have a unique situation and hopefully someone out there is willing to help me out. So I just turned 21, currently living in Indiana and as the title hinted I am a cancer survivor. I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia back in the fall of 2008, went through a successful treatment protocol including a bone marrow transplant and seemed to be well on my way. Unfortunately, I relapsed last spring 2011, and had to go through a similar experience. Yet again I have conquered my illness, have a fresh 100% donor cell bone marrow, and am doing exceptionally well considering. There's the condensed background. Now for my problem:

So I was on an extremely high dose of I.V. Dilaudid in the hospital most recently, and was sent home on methadone and dilaudid. I basically said screw this I can't live my life like this forever (basically I'm just an impatient, hard working, dedicated individual) and started taking wayyy less than prescribed, obviously a bad idea. Too keep this story as short as possible, I'm not taking the dilaudid anymore and take much less methadone. I would like to ween off the methadone with the aid of medical marijuana, for reasons I highly doubt I need to explain. The obvious problem is that I live in Indiana, but I can make it to the border of Michigan in about 2 hours. Am I basically out of luck unless I move to Michigan or bum there for over 30 days? As a side note, what if I could get a recommendation from my oncologist? My reasoning for not doing this as of yet is that 1) I go to a children's hospital because I was diagnosed under the age of 18. 2) I highly doubt they would approve, from my perspective at least 3) I fear rejection..

Can anyone help me out here or give suggestions? I'd like to go about this in the most intelligent way possible. Thanks for reading!

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here. I've read through a decent amount of threads related to obtaining a card for non-residents of Michigan, but I feel like I have a unique situation and hopefully someone out there is willing to help me out. So I just turned 21, currently living in Indiana and as the title hinted I am a cancer survivor. I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia back in the fall of 2008, went through a successful treatment protocol including a bone marrow transplant and seemed to be well on my way. Unfortunately, I relapsed last spring 2011, and had to go through a similar experience. Yet again I have conquered my illness, have a fresh 100% donor cell bone marrow, and am doing exceptionally well considering. There's the condensed background. Now for my problem:

So I was on an extremely high dose of I.V. Dilaudid in the hospital most recently, and was sent home on methadone and dilaudid. I basically said screw this I can't live my life like this forever (basically I'm just an impatient, hard working, dedicated individual) and started taking wayyy less than prescribed, obviously a bad idea. Too keep this story as short as possible, I'm not taking the dilaudid anymore and take much less methadone. I would like to ween off the methadone with the aid of medical marijuana, for reasons I highly doubt I need to explain. The obvious problem is that I live in Indiana, but I can make it to the border of Michigan in about 2 hours. Am I basically out of luck unless I move to Michigan or bum there for over 30 days? As a side note, what if I could get a recommendation from my oncologist? My reasoning for not doing this as of yet is that 1) I go to a children's hospital because I was diagnosed under the age of 18. 2) I highly doubt they would approve, from my perspective at least 3) I fear rejection..

Can anyone help me out here or give suggestions? I'd like to go about this in the most intelligent way possible. Thanks for reading!

You are doing this the most intelligent way possible . I encourage you to follow through ASAP as the longer your body is used to having the drug in your system the more difficult if not impossible it is to fix . Methadone is painful to withdrawl from but easier then duilidad for some it is just unbelievable that patients have no access to REAL help or step down medications with comfort at all stages addressed . If your not comfortable the whole process is negative and prone to failure long term .

They put you on this stuff for comfort and change your body chemistry at the cellular level with many patients taking these drugs for years . If you do a medical system detox they do a terribley painful very short one which never even covers the real withdrawl period They are truly non workable placing patients in such terrible suffering that out of desperation they often start to seek narcotics off the streets to make the pain stop . If you wanted to go inpatient they won't give you good support if you can even find anyone to treat you . It is so frustrating to see younger or any patients put in this position .

Why we don't have centers where step down medicaiton is provided with low cost care for as long as someone feels they need it ( up to a max of 2 years ) and where legal medical cannabis can be used to assist in patient comfort ? Where the patients report of comfort trumps all other consderations because thats why they took pain control in the first place . I have done so much reading on this topic as it concerns me and addicts have similar needs and for years have praised clonadine and cannabis to help them kick opiates .Insurance lobbiests have reduced care and support for individuals overtime who are dependent so the system sadly now creates addicts

It is a seperate issue but recreational users that get trapped in addiction also have nowhere to go plus criminalitiy blocking their paths to even ask for help . We have had 30 deaths in my community over the past few years .

The Public see's shows like on A and E so they think their are solutions but the truth is the places advertised on intervention cost often in the hundred of thousands of dollars for treatment at least 10's of thousands with no guarantee's . Many are barberic cold turkey detoxes . The whole key to success is patient comfort so they aren't suffering thus wanting to use again and at that we are terrible failures who do not warn patients enough before giving them drugs . We give drugs now instead of inpatient care . We sign pain contracts protecting clinics and their Doctors but they never also set up mutaully agreeable exit stratagies . Patients need protections to continuing access when dependent and to voluntary treatment also without reprisal because often you find your pain to high after detoxing to not go back into pain control treatment . .

I wouldn't be suprised to learn Bill Schuette ruled on some of these limiting access for dependent patient cases against individuals . It would be interesting to know how much he cares about providing affordable non punitive based alternatives for patients or addicts to avoid jail .Regardless love should apply to patients whom are already suffering more then they could take - not tough love . Very few people truly like the way these medicaitons make them feel if they have to be that way every day . Why is a cancer survivor of 21 years old having to struggle with this situation alone or anyone having issues with medications . So many of us have been harmed I can't even remember anymore but I have been on dozens and dozens of dependent medicaitons . Now I take 2 with cannabis and stopping them without care and a very slow taper or even with is more then I can bear. The system has failed us my friend . You wouldn't be asking about these things if you didn't know already what would occur if you asked for help from the hospital or local Doctor . My pain Doctors tell me to stay out of emergency at all costs because you will be placed into psychitric care , improper detox protocals and maybe forced on off lable psychiatric medications with unknown withdrawl profiles and effects . I am sorry I didn't couldn't reply with more effort . I care because I am in this catch 22 at ttmes myself . Many people do care .

I will tell you this is doable if you can get down to 2.5 mg inspite of others saying to jump off at 40 . Get cannabis , if possible clonadine , and you need some people to interact with that are loving and supportive . A air conditioned room , and frequent showers or baths help too . It is so wrong patients have to do this alone . We should have a self directed assisted living type facility here with step down medications including compounding when necessary that allows cannabis . If you could create one costing up to $2500 a month people would flock to it who need group support and care due to other medical issues or becoming that weak under care . A place where recreational treatment would be available on the property maybe even a pool with aquatic therapy temps It iwould so much cheaper to society beneficial and humane then using the criminal system or neglecting patients . We had some patients here that ended up in ICU's when forced to detox on this site telling about it at one time . Those bills I know are in the hundreds of thousands of dollars . Very few patients can care for themselves in detox they way it is done in our society . Yet a few people and they dont' know why have few problems while patients who have fought pain using up adrenilin and hormones suffer terribley some never recover . Blood tests are mandatory they didnt find my thyroid issue for 5 years after a surgeon caused it as a result of a operation and it effects one harshly . People care I am just not in a position to help . Indiana is a zero tolerance state too making things tougher on you . Good luck . Keep us posted . Maybe someone will respond to you with what you need a loving place with care our fragmented corperate society has made a rare occurance . My parents generation had the support of a European Extended Family household .

There is always the Pat Moore Foundation in California $11.5k for 30 days . It used to be a great program of 90 days for $18 k methadone detox but insurance lobbiests negated coverage and they no longer offer it . You can private pay extensions at $15k a month . Patients are in a terrible position and even worse many need tune ups not treating pain is not a viable solution for them it is a uncheivable ideal drawn from the conclusion of someone who can't feel their suffering .

I know November is 7 months away, but Indiana does have Medical Marijuana on the ballot. Make sure you get out and vote and let everybody you know to do the same! Here is a link to the 18 states that are up for vote and a look at the proposals. Florida may still get on. They have till July 29th to get it on the ballot.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=00248

Thank you for being strong! Medcnman.

I believe that Oregon will issue MM cards to out of state patients. Michigan accepts out of state MM cards. You do the math.

Mike

So I just gotta book a flight out to Oregon, find a doc to give me a card, and head to Michigan to cash in?

So I just gotta book a flight out to Oregon, find a doc to give me a card, and head to Michigan to cash in?

Thats a possibility, but if you owned property in michigan, you can also get your card here and e from out of state. I got my card and still had an Indiana ID at the time. There are a few exceptions to the residency. I am pretty sure you can buy a piece of property in flint cheaper than a plane ticket to oregon and back,and much easier to get your renewal. Other than that its mve up here, or hope for IN's law good luck.

If you are in pain you should not hesitate to use your prescribed pain medication. Methadone has longer withdrawals than Diluadid but you get less of a tolerance to it. If you are in pain it will interfere with your healing. It puts stress on your body.

That said I would of course encourage you to use MMJ and if that is sufficient for your pain, to cease using the opioids. But please don't fall for the bad press that says anyone who takes pain meds is an addict, or that they will consume you, it is simply not true. The docs are very hesitant to hand them out - when they do, they do it because they have seen from experience that they will help people with your condition heal.

Best of luck - I can't imagine developing cancer as a teenager. You're a strong soul to get this far. :thumbsu:

Yes you must be a rez of our state to use our law. Hope to heck your state votes it in as cannabis works no matter what state ya live in.Sad to see someone suffer needlessly becuase of some silly man made law. Cannabis has been a med for 5000 years and the safest med and treatment on the planet.

Thanks a lot for all of your insights and encouragement. The cheap rental property sounds very intriguing, considering a round trip flight to Oregon would run me like $400+. I wonder how long my lease would have to be or how long I would actually have to "live" there?

It would be wise to request a copy of your medical records to take to the doc. Nothing like making sure he/she understands your medical issues.

What good would a mmj card be if you're not going to live in a mmj state?

Good question.if you get caught with iit in indiana you'll probably have some issues even if you have a michigan card

Valid point, I have considered what I would do if I were to ever get pulled over with marijuana on me. I can tell you this, I wouldn't go down easy. For as much as this plant has done for my overall health and well being post transplant, I believe I would have a VERY compelling story that would be hard to just cover up. I will continue to go about my usual business with MJ regardless, but I thought this might provide me with a bit of legitimacy and also provide me with a very reliable, high quality resource for my needs. Also just thought it would be cool to have the card and brag to friends....hahaha. This thread more than anything just represents personal research, as well as promoting awareness of others who could share a very similar situation without the means to acquire help.

Maybe I should just listen to the pain doc I used to see, who told me I should stop using marijuana (even though it helped with my pain more than the drugs he was prescribing) because it promoted the use of street drugs and the company who evaluated the urine analysis would ultimately report him for encouraging this type of activity....I'm sure I'd be way better off taking methadone for the rest of my life...

I wouldn't even bother with the card unless you're actually going to be living in MI. The cost of renting a place, getting residency, seeing a doctor, filing the application, driving back and forth to pick up the mail and see said doctor, is going to cancel out any benefit in possibly getting cheaper medical grade mj. The card will offer you ZERO protection in Indiana. It will not give you credibility in court; in fact you would probably be barred from mentioning that you have one, and it would make you look very bad in front of the judge - like a fraudster and a liar. If you want to be protected you need to live in MI.

If you get the card you will.def.have access to.high quality meds consistently .... imho

But getting caught would.be the same reregardless if.you are in indiana.

If.you get the card you will be pretty safe in Michigan again, imho.

So the real.qquestion.is whether or not you will.spend the majority of.your time iin indiana or michigan.

I personally beoieve using medical marijuana ia better than mmethadone but thats my opinion ...

Regardless good luck.and I wish you the best.

If you pull off this victory and actually acquire a mm card from here, I would keep it a secret. Unless you wish to become an activist fighting for your freedom as well as your health, keep it safe, keep it quite. 

I wouldn't even bother with the card unless you're actually going to be living in MI. The cost of renting a place, getting residency, seeing a doctor, filing the application, driving back and forth to pick up the mail and see said doctor, is going to cancel out any benefit in possibly getting cheaper medical grade mj. The card will offer you ZERO protection in Indiana. It will not give you credibility in court; in fact you would probably be barred from mentioning that you have one, and it would make you look very bad in front of the judge - like a fraudster and a liar. If you want to be protected you need to live in MI.

If you get the card you will.def.have access to.high quality meds consistently .... imho

But getting caught would.be the same reregardless if.you are in indiana.

If.you get the card you will be pretty safe in Michigan again, imho.

So the real.qquestion.is whether or not you will.spend the majority of.your time iin indiana or michigan.

I personally beoieve using medical marijuana ia better than mmethadone but thats my opinion ...

Regardless good luck.and I wish you the best.

Definitely going to take this all into account. It does seem like a lot of hassle with a disproportionate risk/benefit ratio. It seemed like a pretty cool idea at the time, but it'll problably never happen. I definitely plan on moving to a state where it's legal eventually, just not sure when that will be considering my current school is in Indiana. I really appreciate everyone's help and input on this, very happy to know resources such as this forum are available for those seeking help. Still blazin'.

Archived