Quality Of Plants For Simpson Oil

If you have a grade A (top qualtiy) plant to make RSO I've read that you should use only the buds for best results. That only makes sense. But if you have a grade A plant then using non bud material should mean less RSO not lower quality RSO oil. In other words it will be of grade A qualilty but you won't get as much. Am I wrong ? I guess my question is just becasue the oil is from a leaf part and not the bud does not reduce the qualtiy it just reduces the amount of the qualtiy. Is that correct ?

So if I want to make as much RSO as possible I can use all the plant without reducing quality, correct ?

One other question - the hardest part in making RSO is determining when all the Naptha is gone For those who have done it what is your gauge ? I just eyeball it and when it has enough thickness to it I'm done. anyone have a better method. I know about the coffe warmer method to finish it off but that still ends up to be eyeballing it. thanks. i have a young girl with cancer as a patient and want to make the best RSO possible.

I follow Rick Simpson's method exactly as it is in the video.

I only use the buds and the trichrome covered leaves close to the bud to get a clean deep amber colored oil.

I use naptha and evap in a rice cooker finishing the evaporation on a coffee warmer until you see no more bubble activity on the surface of the oil just like in the video.

You can check to make sure you have all of the solvent evaporated out of the oil by doing a flame test.

I use a clean metal utensil and put some of the oil on it, then I put a flame to it. It should get runny as the flame

warms the oil but if it flames up or sparks then you still have solvent in your oil.

What are you using for a solvent? I know that the 99% isopropyl alcohol will also dissolve chlorophyll and other water solubles which will take away from the purity of your final product. I cook my oil until all bubbling has stopped. I usually end up with a very dry paste which I like to eat in a tablet form.

What are you using for a solvent? I know that the 99% isopropyl alcohol will also dissolve chlorophyll and other water solubles which will take away from the purity of your final product. I cook my oil until all bubbling has stopped. I usually end up with a very dry paste which I like to eat in a tablet form.

Purity of the final product? You might have a tiny amount of chlorophyll in a dose then. Less than in a salad. If you are using it for edibles, chlorophyll doesn't hurt you. Heck, you can eat leaves without a problem, why would a tiny part of the leaf be a problem?

I make RSO a lot. I prefer it to smoking. The buds will give you the most output with the least chlorophyll but all in all, using sugar (sweet) leaf is my main source. I only use the completely frosted leaves. Since I eat it and cook with it, it won't hurt you at all unless you have issues with chlorophyll.

While eyeballing is the only real method, you should be using a coffee warmer or candle warmer. The thing is, it not only removes the last of the solvent, it also does something to the terpenes, I think it releases some of the hydrogen from them. If you wait long enough, you can often see them. I keep it on the candle warmer until it looks like glass and you can see a reflection in it. That's how I know it is ready.

Some will also argue that the extra cbd's and terpenes can be beneficial to you as well, so you shouldn't discount it either. Whole plant extraction using a non polar solvent *might* be better. Without lab testing and clinical trials we will never know.

I have used 99% IPA, and 200 proof USP grade, and I prefer the IPA. I haven't tried naptha, but I assume from what I have read it would be better yet, if you wanted just the THC/CBD from the trichs.

Good luck.

While eyeballing is the only real method, you should be using a coffee warmer or candle warmer. The thing is, it not only removes the last of the solvent, it also does something to the terpenes, I think it releases some of the hydrogen from them. If you wait long enough, you can often see them. I keep it on the candle warmer until it looks like glass and you can see a reflection in it. That's how I know it is ready.

You can place it in a glass jar in the oven at 220 degree F to do the same thing. Leave it for at least an hour after the bubbles quit.

Archived