Why Is American Defense Budget So High ?

washtenaut

Well you certainly have a point on that. My response was not about the benis from Viet Nam or Korea, it was in response to your comment that in July 1945 benis were cut and that was the cause of the reduction in defense spending, I believe. I may have misunderstood your response.

I've always believed economic strength and independence was a defense issue. So is infrastructure. I'd love to see some of the defense budget address those weaknesses. At Ft. Lewis, I used to see the engineering troops spend their time building unneeded roads simply to get the practice. Be kind of cool if they got practical experience in the real world repairing bridges and infrastructure, as that currently seems to be their main mission overseas.

In Rome, when the army wasn't defending the empire, it was building something. I think that is a good idea. We are already paying for them to be there.

Dr. Bob

Ok I like that idea, building and blowing up roads and bridges is a big part of war, in between It would be a great idea for the military to be building bridges and roads, but what are you gonna do with all the union workers that are doing it now, train them to fight?

Peace

Jim

Somebody wake up on the wrong side of the bed Jim?

I was a Cpl, My brother is a Major in the Army Special Forces who did Three tours in Da' Gulf..

Calm Down already..

Just because someone is ignorant doesn't mean they should be ridiculed.

They need information, to be informed about the subject at hand.

There is a ridiculous amount of Waste in the services.

My dad was the Head Civilian Procurement officer for a now Defunct Air Force base.

The stories he can tell of waste...

Do we need a defense force? Yes

Is it Bloated? Yes

For example;

We bought a New ( unneeded ) Backhoe in 87' because we didn't want to lose budget funding for the next Fiscal year.

Happens All the Time..

Those Are Facts.

Just because someone is not experienced in Military culture doesn't mean that they have no valuable input on budget conversations.

Semper Fi

Ilynnboy

Ok I like that idea, building and blowing up roads and bridges is a big part of war, in between It would be a great idea for the military to be building bridges and roads, but what are you gonna do with all the union workers that are doing it now, train them to fight?

Peace

Jim

You train the soldiers to be union workers when they get out. And give them experience. You think the Army can do everything? How about some real, on the job experience in construction, machining, medical fields, etc that leads to CIVILIAN licenses? Something they could use when they get out and employers can hire right off the bat?

Dr. Bob

Somebody wake up on the wrong side of the bed Jim?

I was a Cpl, My brother is a Major in the Army Special Forces who did Three tours in Da' Gulf..

Calm Down already..

Just because someone is ignorant doesn't mean they should be ridiculed.

They need information, to be informed about the subject at hand.

There is a ridiculous amount of Waste in the services.

My dad was the Head Civilian Procurement officer for a now Defunct Air Force base.

The stories he can tell of waste...

Do we need a defense force? Yes

Is it Bloated? Yes

For example;

We bought a New ( unneeded ) Backhoe in 87' because we didn't want to lose budget funding for the next Fiscal year.

Happens All the Time..

Those Are Facts.

Just because someone is not experienced in Military culture doesn't mean that they have no valuable input on budget conversations.

Semper Fi

Ilynnboy

ok first off Im pretty sure i woke up on the left side of the bed (which is my side) lol 2nd I dont think I was being mean, I bet Bob knows more about it than I do! My son is a staff sgt in the marines, I have much respect for our forces and vets!

Thank you to you and your family for serving!

Peace

Jim

You train the soldiers to be union workers when they get out. And give them experience. You think the Army can do everything? How about some real, on the job experience in construction, machining, medical fields, etc that leads to CIVILIAN licenses? Something they could use when they get out and employers can hire right off the bat?

Dr. Bob

I was a union worker, so I dont mean nothing bad when I say this, But Id like to think we could do alot better with our guys and gals when they get out of the armed services, Most of the volunteers are very smart young men and women, they dont just let any one in the armed services any longer, im hoping my kid will do his 20 yrs and get out and get another job and get another pension! god forbid he has to build bridges! I will sand blast, prime, prime, prime finish bridges, let him go teach music or something he likes!

Peace

Jim

oh yea

Happy New Year!

Really the biggest problem is that only 16% of the total federal budget is spent on domestic spending ( this includes social security, medicare and medicaid), the other 84% goes either to the defense dept. or for foreign aid. Got this from one of the sunday morning news shows and was substantiated by Sen. Evan Bayh ( democrat) and ( unbelievably) Karl Rove being in total agreement that this is the biggest problem facing our economy. And, I could not believe that I was in agreement with Pat Robertson, do we really need an army base in Germany to protect Germans from the Russians. Common sense dictates that a bit more of the budget spent at home would solve many problems we all face here!!

Farmer Brown

We will need to spend more money for more weapons to enforce your new gun control laws ......

And that some funny stuff right there. and gun control means using both hands. the bigest country needs the biggest army, especialy the way we role pissing other countries off on a regular basis trying to tell the rest of the world what to do. Edited by cujo

Stop making weapons for 10 yrs and even lil places like syria will have more weapons than us, military spending is all the combined spending, wages to our soldiers and feed them, we should be spending more on their retirement and their wages, just imagine if everyone in the military used their 50k gi grant for school, bottom line is you dont know wtf your talking about!

Happy New Year!

Peace

Jim

It will take a lot longer than 10 years for Syria to catch up to our military. We spend more on defense every year than Syria brings in as GDP.

At Ft. Lewis, I used to see the engineering troops spend their time building unneeded roads simply to get the practice. Be kind of cool if they got practical experience in the real world repairing bridges and infrastructure, as that currently seems to be their main mission overseas.

hey doc,

when were you at Ft Lewis? :)

i was there from....

let me think LOL

been a while..

Tacoma WA.... Awesome sandwiches on the little cafe's along the Puget sound...(first time in my life i had sprouts on a turkey sandwich..:.)

good times.. i was stationed on North fort... from maybe April of '89 until august 7th 1990 (i know that date for sure :) ) 151 ADA patriot/Vulcan division.

A better question would be why do rebulicans blame the deficit on "entitlement programs" and democrats blame past legislation by rebulicans, when we've been fighting the longest most expensive war to date? I know a private contractor who had a years worth of mechanic experience, who was making 60k a year over there and lockheed martin made good money soley for sending him there,a broker fee if you will. He wasnt making half that here and combat engineers make just over half that; and are often required to help with working on the trucks. The amount that "security forces" make is much higher. So why is the defence budget so high? B/c theres alot of money behind it. Its a gold rush for those inclined. and no doubt theres those who value a "soldier" who isnt "restricted" by our constitution or rules of engagment and is more or less immune from prosecution.

• 4 weeks later...

The sequestration - 10% across the board cuts - are to take place on 3/1/2013. With the way our representatives work together, do you think that this will really happen?

It shows how we all pay the price for these hardened stances that both parties have taken. When both effective weapons programs and less effective ones exist, cutting 10% from all programs can't be the best way to trim things by 10%.

hey doc,

i was there from....

let me think LOL

been a while..

Tacoma WA.... Awesome sandwiches on the little cafe's along the Puget sound...(first time in my life i had sprouts on a turkey sandwich..:.)

good times.. i was stationed on North fort... from maybe April of '89 until august 7th 1990 (i know that date for sure :) ) 151 ADA patriot/Vulcan division.

86, ROTC Advanced Camp.

• 4 months later...

Why is it un-American to question the amount we spend on defense?  I see it mentioned in this post and I see this again and again on TV.  Somehow the defense industry/lobby has gotten this idea ingrained in the mind of the public and more importantly, the congress.  Brilliant of them but it is costing the rest of us dearly, imo.

We cut  programs for education and programs to help feed the poor in order to maintain the fantastic defense budget.  We don't just cut out the waste, we cut from the people that really have a need.  Is that truly in the best long term interests of our country?  It reminds me of the stereotypical gym rat that has the body of Adonis but may not be too bright and has a dead end job.

Notice the next time you see a talking TV head bring up cutting defense spending.  They will be countered immediately with not supporting the troops, or not supporting the injured veterans, or of simply being unpatriotic.  It is time to re-think that argument. 

Peace

Jim

Soldiers have the equipment and are already being paid.  Good training, not only for the military duties, but for employment after they leave the service.  Not going to go there with the unions, but too often military training does not lead to a civilian license or experience that can be used to support a family.  I was an army medic.  That allowed me to work at Mickey D's when I got out if that was all I had.  Had I earned an EMT or Paramedic License in the course of getting my medic training, I could have gotten a job in something I had experience with.  That would have given me the employment edge over someone fresh out of civilian paramedic school.  I could have supported a family.  Same with a mechanic's license or other trade experience.

Dr. Bob

When I hear about cuts falling disproportionately on one group or the other I am reminded of my experience with the local County administered CAASA (Community Alliance Against Substance Abuse) program funded by the US Dept of Health and Human Services.

Our Country received a $100,000 Federal grant and was tasked with reducing teen substance abuse by 10%-per-year.

I went to the meetings for nearly a year after I entered the Drug Court Diversion Program. The meetings were once a month. I was the only citizen. Every other member worked for one public-purse funded agency or another. Most worked for the County. All were well fed and probably could have skipped the fast food and assorted high-fat snacks on offer without suffering.

None did.

As for the community, nothing, I repeat with caps, NOTHING was done to actually meet the programs stated goals.

As my year with CAASA drew to a close and my 7411 probation ended I decided to just skip the last meeting. I din't eat their lunch anyway. In my absence I was voted Committee Chairman. This gave me access to the budget. That was a mistake. I can count.

What I learned was the Feds levied roughly $200,000 in taxes to generate the $100,000 after Fed agency to its cut that actually reached the County. Of that $100,000, $85,000 was spent on the luncheon guests salaries. The remaining $15,000 of the DHHS grant was spent on various training boondogles for the well-fed luncheon participants. You know the type training these government agencies enjoy; junior high school type games, expense account meals, high dollar lodging and per diem for entertainment.

NOTHING was done to address teen substance abuse. Teen substance abuse never was mentioned. The only ones to benefit from the CAASA grant in our County were the same public sector employees who were already sucking off the sweet tit of the public purse.

Now granted, this was only one small glimpse at the government machine that dominates all our lives. But somehow everything has been corrupted by the massive government spending to the point many are now addicted to and totally dependent on the government. No one seems to consider how much it costs so they can get something they didn't help to create.

The results should come as no suprise even if we don't want to admit it.

So we give food stamps to obese people.

We fund incentives that pay unmarried teens to have children and then wonder why over a third of the babies born in the US have mothers who can't afford to feed them and no fathers of record.

We extend unemployment benefits for years and then wonder why the work-force participation rate keeps falling. Or why the number of people not working and drawing disability is rising faster than the number of new jobs being created.

We have a government that seems unable to restraint spending even as our debt levels continue rise to the levels that are destroying the Greek economy.

I don't care where we cut. But if we don't begin to take personal responsibility for ourselves and our children and instead look to some powerful and wise government it will be the ruination of us all. That government does not exist. No human government ever will.

Personally I think if you can't admit to your own failings, rather than blame the govenment or the Republicans, blame your parents.

Edited by outsideinthecold

Better check those Government spending figures again.

Dutch Farm your 'facts' are all wrong. Do a search for US Government Spending and you will find your errors along with Karl Rove's (not likely my friend, check your hearing)

For the US Federal Government in 2012 it runs like this:

Defense 14%

Welfare 11%

Education 13%

Health Care 19%

Pensions 18%

Protection 6%

General Govt 2%

Transportation 5%

Interest 5%

Other 9%

Please note too that this is only the Federal Government's spending. Last time I checked the State, Cities and Counties didn't spend anything like this percentage on defense unless you count the numerous public safety arrest and punishment industry employees.

Personally I like the idea of a working military. But let's give up on that volunteer military idea and reinstate the draft. Opt out if you want for whatever reason you want but then you don't vote. It would be a better world if only veterans voted, especially drafted ones.

hey doc,

i was there from....

let me think LOL

been a while..

ROTC Advanced Camp summer 86.  Rained every darn day.

Outsideinthecold,

I was only repeating what was said on the Sunday morning news show( my hearing is fine, Thank You :>), not looking for an argument over minutia. The thing that surprised me the most, was the fact that you had Evan Bayh( longtime Democrat) and Karl Rove( longtime Republican) agreeing on the details of the federal budget spending data.In reality, I really have no idea as to what is spent where, or for what( I am not sure anyone really does!!), other than the bloated prices( with no questions asked) the Defense Dept. is charged by corporations that reach the national news setting. I am also very aware of the fact that government spending data is tweaked by whatever government agency reports the data, as in, you get different data from different government agencies.

If only veterans would be allowed to vote, this would no longer be a country of "all men are created equal", as in our U.S. Constitution. The reason the checks and balances were put into place within our government was to keep our country from run by "one ideal" government rule, not that it always works that way, it seems. Of course, being a farmer,and the fact that farmers are less than 2% of the population now, mine is a minority opinion and one that derives from an agrarian viewpoint.

May Peace Be With You All,

Farmer Brown

I don't know what you heard, or thought you heard, I only know the numbers. You can check those for yourself.

What might have confused you is much of our Federal Government spending is already mandated by law and only a small portion remains as so-called 'discretionary' spending. Discretionary spending includes defense but excludes things like social security payments and medicare/medicaid and social welfare benefits.

This might explain your misunderstanding.

But as your data is incorrect, it follows your post is meaningless as a result, doesn't it?

Apologizes to this off-topic non-mmj post but things like misinterpretations based on faulty numbers should be corrected, shouldn't they?

Outsideinthecold,

I know what I heard, as did my wife. Obviously you are not going to believe anything I say,why waste my time?  I have only posted a few times on this website and seem to be greeted with underlying hostilities each time. If I post again, I will stick strictly to medical marijuana issues. 

Thank You,

Farmer Brown