Laras Pain Management Page, Mm Not Listed Anywhere

Mememe

http://www.michigan....5947---,00.html

Why is there no information pertaining to MM when pain is a qualifying condition?

Please join me in bringing this to the attention of LARA.

Here is the contact info -

Susan Affholter

Bureau of Health Professions

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

P.O. Box 30670

Lansing, MI 48909

Phone: (517) 373-7303

Fax: (517) 241-3082

Email: affholters@michigan.gov

Edited by Mememe

In their eyes MMJ is not a Medicine and until that changes they won't do anything for the Sick and Dying

And if they start saying it is a medicine then they will want to stop people from growing their own

So IMHO I think we should be telling them its a herb because we know how they our up their in Lansing just look at what just happen with their new Law

As they have maid it so anybody can have marijuana as long as you keep it in your trunk locked up you don't even need a card

http://www.michigan....5947---,00.html

Why is there no information pertaining to MM when pain is a qualifying condition?

Please join me in bringing this to the attention of LARA.

Here is the contact info -

Susan Affholter

Bureau of Health Professions

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

P.O. Box 30670

Lansing, MI 48909

Phone: (517) 373-7303

Fax: (517) 241-3082

Email: affholters@michigan.gov

I will call them tomorrow they our having a meeting on the 28th and I'll be going

Quick reply

... Although the pain management program does not officially take a position on the efficacy of medical marihuana for treating painful medical conditions (see attached official policy statement), I will explore putting this link on the left menu of the Pain Management Website homepage with our Bureau’s new Director. We post various Bureau program links on the homepage left panel, so we will consider that. If you would like to follow up in a couple weeks regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to contact me.....

Thank you for your suggestion,

Steven Creamer, Manager

Health Care Information Unit

Bureau of Health Care Services

BUREAU OF HEALTH CARE SERVICES POSITION STATEMENT

ON THE USE OF MEDICAL MARIHUANA FOR PAIN

AND OTHER HEALTH CONDITIONS

The Bureau of Health Care Services/Michigan Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs does not take an official position on the effectiveness of medical marihuana to treat pain and other health conditions. Although the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (http://www.michigan....2138---,00.html) states that “Modern medical research… has discovered beneficial uses for marihuana in treating or alleviating the pain, nausea, and other symptoms associated with a variety of debilitating medical conditions”, the Bureau recognizes that opinions on the safety and effectiveness of medical marihuana vary widely within the medical community. Therefore, although the Bureau operates the Medical Marihuana Registration Program (http://www.michigan....1869---,00.html) to comply with the Act, it does not provide the public with any information regarding the efficacy or lack of efficacy of medical marihuana.

The Bureau operates the Pain Management and Palliative Care Program (www.michigan.gov/pm), which develops and implements strategies to improve pain and symptom management in Michigan. This program is not connected to the State’s Medical Marihuana Program, and does not address the use of medical marihuana as a treatment for acute or chronic pain. Per the provisions of the State’s Medical Marihuana Act, the Bureau does have a Medical Marihuana Review Panel to consider citizen petitions regarding new conditions that may qualify for medical marihuana. If you are interested in submitting such a petition, please use the standard petition posted on the Medical Marihuana website. You may also call the Bureau’s Health Care Information Unit office at 517-335-6557 for more information about the panel. If you are interested in getting more information about or discussing the use of medical marihuana for pain or other health conditions, the Bureau recommends that you access one of the many medical marihuana websites and blogs available on the internet.

Seems like a positive response. :)

Edited by Mememe

• 2 months later...

curious what the 'wild' variation of opinion is on marijuana safety.

Yours vs Bill Schuette's for example.  That is a wide variation.  If you also look at the new conditions panel you will see there is disagreement among doctors as well, not all have embraced cannabis.  BUT it should be listed as an option on the chronic pain management page.

Dr. Bob

yeah but the reply said 'within the medical community' ... of which, i hope bill shuette is not part of ;D

the medical community on the panel stated 'they just didnt know the effects of marijuana'.

which is kind of like arguing with a brick wall. the doctor who said it could easily look up its LD50 ...

Edited by t-pain

They didn't qualify the difference of opinion among doctors with familiarity with the subject.  Most don't know about it and aren't interested in finding out.  The argument is that there are other medications that went through the FDA process, so cannabis isn't needed.  That is one of the major opinions out there in the medical community.  

Face it, there is a lot of education needed in the medical community.

Dr. Bob

I've been in contact with them and have been invited to testify as a professional at their May 3rd meeting.  I going to see if I can make it.  It would be helpful if some of the members here could PM me with a little background on how cannabis affected their need for pain medications. I am also going to put up a survey on my website (maybe Chad can put one up here too) to get an idea of how much pain medication they are taking now compared to prior to cannabis...  0% (no more narcotics), 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% (no change), 125%, 150% or ,more.

Dr. Bob