Your Opinions About My Case Idea

jessiejamez

So I buy a small safe. Mount it in my trunk. 2 keys exist. One lives at caregivers residence one at my home.

So the senario is I get pulled over and leo wants to look inside case. I have no key. What then?

You great legal minds have an opinion. My thought is they would need a warrant to look in/forcibly open.

Thanks.

I'm no great legal mind but i would also think they would need a warrant to look inside any locked container inside a vehicle, i would also think they would have to have some kind of probable cause to suspect there was something illegal inside to get a warrant. That said, a safe mounted inside a trunk would seem kind of suspicious and that alone might be enough.

I would think they would need a warrant. It , in my mind, does not seem suspicious....... I mean it is their own NEW RULE.......

In fact it even adds a foolproof safety measure that the meds COULD NOT be pulled out and used as a weapon or in any way possibly escape and cause a riot...... as there are 2 keys and neither are anywhere (on the road) near the locked up gremlins (meds).....

Edited by ozzrokk

I would only call it suspicious if he wouldn't give them any explanation and simply told them they would need a warrant to look inside. If it was me i would just tell them the purpose of the safe, and then i'd probably tell them they would have to get a warrant or open it them self's if they wanted to push it any further then that.

combination safe you never lose the key and they need your cooperation or a warrant to open it.  Same thing at my house and my grow combination commercial grade locks and dead bolts.  Never half to worry about losing a key or forgetting to lock a door do that on your grow room and you have commited a felony, small price to pay for avoiding a felony.

You can probably still smell it in the safe lol!  I forgot I just picked up a zip from my c.g, I stopped at the local groceri store and got some attn I realy didnt need lol, luckily I know all the people working there, it took about 2 mins at the register and than any cashier w/o biz was behind me, I looked at the cashier waiting on me and she was lauging and looking behind me, every one came over to see what was smelling so good,  I dont even smell it myself any more, I dont think anyone in my house can smell it either, we are used to it,  boy them no pt's that burn could sure smell it! I will try not to do that again, but bottom line is if you get pulled over with some fresh mm in your vehicle people that are not around it will most def smell it, and hence probable cause!

I would never allow a search w/o a warrant, not for my home or car or travel trailer! If there gonna mess with me, they are going to have to get a warrant!

Peace

Jim

Personally, I'd ask a lawyer before I posted the question on an internet forum board.

My lawyer hasn't even read the law. You guys not only know it but have the time and brain power to devote to actual implementation.

I understand about the combination lock. I don't want to appear uncooperative to the leo that already already decided to search my car against my wishes. He knows I know the combination.

I also see the potential to turn the search for gremlins into a search for a key that does not exist it the vehicle transporting gremlins that may or may not exist in passenger compartment or anywhere else. I did ask my attorney. He asked if I picked up a case. I told him no. He said don't smoke and drive.

I like the idea. No key no access.

Also jim I don't think I smell quite as muck like bud as you do. Don't get me wrong. Mad props to you. I'm guessing if your town was anything like the northern mi town I lived in, every leo within 50 miles knows of you at least. Keep it in compliance and no one has a problem.

I think at trial though any search of the locked container would be quashed.

Edited by jessiejamez

You do not have to tell them what is in it or why, much less give them access. The minimal test of a valid reason for a search is reasonable suspicion. Because they cannot establish that, they are SOL. You need not do any more.

Edited by GregS

Lousy advice from a mod at a forum that exists to tackle the legal issues of our beloved law, no?... Attaching "personally" does no good trust me, he he

Really?  You think so?  You don't think he would be better off talking to a lawyer about a legal question rather than a bunch of anonymous people on the internet that have a wide range of generally uneducated opinions?

Present company excepted of course.

Really? You think so? You don't think he would be better off talking to a lawyer about a legal question rather than a bunch of anonymous people on the internet that have a wide range of generally uneducated opinions?

Present company excepted of course.

why does this forum exist if not to discuss these issues? If you believe your advice then turn the lights off, leave some lawyer numbers on the home page and call it a day.

You think most here are uneducated, and do not understand the law?

I would say most of the top posters here have a solid education, with some even having a legal background. I think I'm losing it, you really want the OP to seek counsel about this when they specifically asked for opinions from the folks that give their legal opinions here day after day?

Not at all, but if someone wants a real answer to a detailed legal question, I personally believe they are better off talking to a lawyer than going to a forum board for advice.  Honestly, I don't know too many people that would disagree with that.

This person is talking about laying out a few bucks to buy a safe and mount it in their truck.  Personally, I believe he's safe as long as the safe is locked.  I'd get a combo lock too, not a key.  Nobody can steal the numbers out of your head and you only have to give words to the patient, not a key.  However, just because I think he's safe, doesn't mean he is. If he's going to spend the time and money to install the safe, don't you think he might want to double check with a lawyer?  

I actually thought I was doing him a service by telling him to talk to a lawyer.  I thought it was sound advice.  It never even accord to me to think about my statement from the angle that you're looking at it.  It may have been a bit cynical, but was not intended to offend anyone.

why does this forum exist if not to discuss these issues? If you believe your advice then turn the lights off, leave some lawyer numbers on the home page and call it a day.

You think most here are uneducated, and do not understand the law?

I would say most of the top posters here have a solid education, with some even having a legal background. I think I'm losing it, you really want the OP to seek counsel about this when they specifically asked for opinions from the folks that give their legal opinions here day after day?

Interesting observation.

There are those who apparently believe many in the readership to be not bright enough and a danger to themselves, and are on a mission to steer us clear from offering commentary that might confuse those poor souls, even if that commentary is accurate. Celli is one of them. In some venues they are called thought police. What description occurs to you?

Edited by GregS

Not at all, but if someone wants a real answer to a detailed legal question, I personally believe they are better off talking to a lawyer than going to a forum board for advice. Honestly, I don't know too many people that would disagree with that.

This person is talking about laying out a few bucks to buy a safe and mount it in their truck. Personally, I believe he's safe as long as the safe is locked. I'd get a combo lock too, not a key. Nobody can steal the numbers out of your head and you only have to give words to the patient, not a key. However, just because I think he's safe, doesn't mean he is. If he's going to spend the time and money to install the safe, don't you think he might want to double check with a lawyer?

I actually thought I was doing him a service by telling him to talk to a lawyer. I thought it was sound advice. It never even accord to me to think about my statement from the angle that you're looking at it. It may have been a bit cynical, but was not intended to offend anyone.

Great post, and consulting a lawyer is sound advice. Just seemed very odd to me because I took the OP as merely spit balling an idea. No worries