Ac, No Condensation?

Dlo

• 3 weeks later...

Good to know, a little drop of caulk will fix me up. I've always known window units to drip condensate outside so when I didn't ever see any I figured it must be going somewhere(like down into my wall or something) so I drilled a hole in the pan and boom! drainage to the outside and peace of mind.

Guess I'll fix that again for more peace of mind lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wondering about  this. I bought a 18,500 BTU AC from Lowe for 500.00, it works great. I was thinking of adding another one and never have to worry about it again. I would have 37,000 BTU for $1000.00. How much more efficient would a mini-split be?(serious question, I dont know.)

I have been wondering about  this. I bought a 18,500 BTU AC from Lowe for 500.00, it works great. I was thinking of adding another one and never have to worry about it again. I would have 37,000 BTU for $1000.00. How much more efficient would a mini-split be?(serious question, I dont know.)

The mini-split does not allow air to seep theu the cracks in the wall.  window rattler are not even close to the SEER efficincy rating.  MIne is a seer 13.1 and seer 13.4.

what does that mean as far as money?

My room is sealed, panda film walls, ceiling. I dont think im losing much through the walls.

It says my E.E.R is 10.7 is that the same as seer?

I know Mini-splits are nice, but seems like a big hassle. Now if it was a huge savings I may reconsider.

what does that mean as far as money?

My room is sealed, panda film walls, ceiling. I dont think im losing much through the walls.

It says my E.E.R is 10.7 is that the same as seer?

I know Mini-splits are nice, but seems like a big hassle. Now if it was a huge savings I may reconsider.

to each his own.  Ask around about a wall banger versus a mini-split.  Look up the AMP pull,,do your homework.  My job is not to make a decision for you.  That must be  done on your own.  I did the numbers ...MINI-Split.

An 18000BTU window unit would cost ~$500 (with no installation cost) and you can find them with EER ratings of 10.7. I'm looking at a Sanyo 18000BTU mini-split system with a 20 SEER rating that costs $1600 before installation. Trying to compare apples to apples, a 20 SEER rating is probably equivalent to a 14-16 EER.

Using a couple of detailed A/C energy use estimators I found online, the energy cost between a 10.7 EER window unit and a 14-16EER mini-split system is only about $200/year. These are using calculators designed for a traditional home and not a garage, but I tried a lot of variables and the numbers were always low. At $200/year, it would take 7 years to break even if I went the mini-split route.

I really dont care, its in and the room is cold.

Mini-split systems are over priced. You could find a local HVAC supplier and pay about 1200 for a furnace, central air compressor and a boxed a-coil. It would take up a little more floor space but so much more reliable and easier to maintain in the long run.

Mini-split systems are over priced. You could find a local HVAC supplier and pay about 1200 for a furnace, central air compressor and a boxed a-coil. It would take up a little more floor space but so much more reliable and easier to maintain in the long run.

My mini split costs 915 for one ant the other 951.  My boy installed one for 150 and a few clones.  Thenthe next one I did myself he just flushed the lines prior to start up.

My 2.5 ton main central air was 1400.

However the mini-split canbe taken with me whever I choose to set up my med garden.  If you have the knowledge to do it yourself or have contacts then by all means do it.  However wall bangers are not efficient.  And a outside mian AC unit if you can get  a unit with freon go for it.  But finding a non r-410a unit is getting tough by a few yrs the government is requiring all AC guys to strictly install r-410 units.  and to upgrade to a whole house r-410 unit is 3-4 k. talkto a AC guy.

mini-split are not hard you just have to do your homework get your contacts down and do it. 

buy the way I would love for you to come install a new inside unit blower, outside comprssor and lines for 1200.  UNless your the AC guy your not getting that deal.  I will put money on it.  that is a industry price for a guy with a license to buy the unit from a distributor and install it himself as the HVAC man.

NO body is going to install a complete CENTRAL AIR unit for 1200.  sorry man that aint gonna happen.  I contract out biz on the side and had rental units so please don't get peoples hopes up.  that price simply is not even close.

I didn't say I would come install the unit for that. But yes I can get dealer pricing on ac units and furnaces. I can pick up a new furnace, 3 ton ac, cased a-coil and line set for 1200. And I'm in the same part of the state as you.

See where I said a supplier? Not an installer. Of course no one is coming out and installing the units for that cost. I assume most are installing there own. Who in there right mind brings in a contractor to install an AC for their grow room?

I didn't say I would come install the unit for that. But yes I can get dealer pricing on ac units and furnaces. I can pick up a new furnace, 3 ton ac, cased a-coil and line set for 1200. And I'm in the same part of the state as you.

See where I said a supplier? Not an installer. Of course no one is coming out and installing the units for that cost. I assume most are installing there own. Who in there right mind brings in a contractor to install an AC for their grow room?

LOL..good point but not everyone or even the majority of people have "inhouse" access to a Licensed HVAC guy.  To do a "complete" "freon" job for a 2.5 ton system will cost every bit of 2,000.  A r-410 unit 3k on the cheap side.

I looked at the specs for the units you are talking about. Install is a little different than they were a few years ago. You'd still get more out of a full size system but the split system you have looks much simpler to connect than full size central air system. Are they using plastic lines? No brazing?

If you look hard enough anyone can find cheap r-22 or someone to charge your system for less, but the prices are on their way up for sure.

I looked at the specs for the units you are talking about. Install is a little different than they were a few years ago. You'd still get more out of a full size system but the split system you have looks much simpler to connect than full size central air system. Are they using plastic lines? No brazing?

If you look hard enough anyone can find cheap r-22 or someone to charge your system for less, but the prices are on their way up for sure.

My lines are all brass..  I managed to bent one of the lines to my latest MINi spolit and it hisses whenthe line sends the coolant thru it....messed up.  But it works...it the line ruptors I just buy a new one for 99 plus recharge the r-410.

I think by 2015 everything is going to be r-410.  Government mandate.  The old freonis going bye bye...and that is going to cause a lot of people pain when their units start going.  But hey it will keep the AC guys busy.  lol

They aren't going to stop making the gas I don't think. But the price will continue to climb. There are problems with the 410 because of the high pressure. The govt. makes these mandates all the time and usually there is a way around them. Technically they were already supposed to stop selling the r22 units. But they are allowed to continue as long as they aren't charged.