Charges Dropped Against Spouse In Marijuana Case

June 4, 2013, 12:14 p.m. EDT
AP

ROME TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Prosecutors are dropping charges against a woman accused of growing more than 8,000 marijuana plants in Lenawee County.

Linda Schmieding's husband already has pleaded guilty in the case. Assistant U.S. Attorney C. Barrington Wilkins says her role was minimal.

Wilkins says the 62-year-old Schmieding was aware of the marijuana operation but was participating only at her husband's request. A court hearing Tuesday was canceled.

The Schmiedings were arrested in 2011 for growing marijuana at their farm in Rome Township. Linda Schmieding told police that they wanted to sell it for medicinal use.

Edwin Schmieding will be sentenced in Detroit federal court on June 25. He faces a minimum sentence of five years in prison because of the number of plants, although his attorney will argue for an exception.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/charges-dropped-against-spouse-in-marijuana-case/b5e415b963084c3ea352801251696196

8000 plants? way over limit!?

They asked some dude who worked on the Police Academy movies and he said it was fine.  Clearly its entrapment!  They just wanted to help the sick people!!! Lots and lots of sick people!!

But seriously, how is 8000 plants only 5 years minimum?  I thought 1000 was 10 years minimum, and it goes up from there.  If he only gets 5 years for that many, he should probably be thankful.

Its gotta be 800 right?  Even that is insane, but I am trying to picture 8000 plants and it isn't working.

edit:  jesus just read this from the past

In all, police confiscated 8,259 marijuana plants, 56 bags equaling approximately 25 pounds of marijuana processed for sale, and about 100 bags of marijuana seeds marked with dates as early as 2006.

Officials said the plants were in various stages of growth, from seedlings to mature plants ready for harvest. Several more fields were located that were being prepared for additional growing plots. The entrance to the property was fortified with a locked gate. Also seized were numerous grow lights, watering system, and ventilation equipment.

Edited by Petyr

June 4, 2013, 12:14 p.m. EDT
AP

ROME TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Prosecutors are dropping charges against a woman accused of growing more than 8,000 marijuana plants in Lenawee County.

Linda Schmieding's husband already has pleaded guilty in the case. Assistant U.S. Attorney C. Barrington Wilkins says her role was minimal.

Wilkins says the 62-year-old Schmieding was aware of the marijuana operation but was participating only at her husband's request. A court hearing Tuesday was canceled.

The Schmiedings were arrested in 2011 for growing marijuana at their farm in Rome Township. Linda Schmieding told police that they wanted to sell it for medicinal use.

Edwin Schmieding will be sentenced in Detroit federal court on June 25. He faces a minimum sentence of five years in prison because of the number of plants, although his attorney will argue for an exception.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/charges-dropped-against-spouse-in-marijuana-case/b5e415b963084c3ea352801251696196

Holy Crap....I heard about this case when it first popped...what or better yet how could you maintain all them plants..?  They must have just been taking seeds by the hundreds and burying them out in fields...

How could you even tend to so many..?  That is freaking crazy......lol

I keep my wife out of my caregiving business my plants are locked behind a door only I can access in case they try to hem me up on something petty I am ready and willing to take full responsibility for my grow and patient care.

Good for you thats the way it should be but just by her knowing the plants are their she is involved