21 members have voted

1. 1. Does Massive Government Surveillence make us safe from terrorism>

• Yes the government has every right to spy on us if we are protected
    • I don't know and don't care
    • No government is abusing it's power

Obama Administration Defends NSA Collection of Verizon Phone Records
Posted on June 6, 2013by Soren Dreier

Author: Dan Roberts

The White House has sought to justify its surveillance of millions of Americans’ phone records as anger grows over revelations that a secret court order gives the National Security Agency blanket authority to collect call data from a major phone carrier.

Politicians and civil liberties campaigners described the disclosures, revealed by the Guardian on Wednesday, as the most sweeping intrusion into private data they had ever seen by the US government.

But the Obama administration, while declining to comment on the specific order, said the practice was “a critical tool in protecting the nation from terrorist threats to the United States”.

The secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (Fisa) granted the order to the FBI on April 25, giving the government unlimited authority to obtain the data for a specified three-month period ending on July 19.

Under the terms of the blanket order, the numbers of both parties on a call are handed over, as is location data, call duration, unique identifiers, and the time and duration of all calls. The contents of the conversation itself are not covered.

The disclosure has reignited longstanding debates in the US over the proper extent of the government’s domestic spying powers.

Under the Bush administration, officials in security agencies had disclosed to reporters the large-scale collection of call records data by the NSA, but this is the first time significant and top-secret documents have revealed the continuation of the practice under President Obama.

The White House stressed that orders such as the one disclosed by the Guardian would only cover data about the calls rather than their content. A senior administration official said: “Information of the sort described in the Guardian article has been a critical tool in protecting the nation from terrorist threats to the United States, as it allows counter-terrorism personnel to discover whether known or suspected terrorists have been in contact with other persons who may be engaged in terrorist activities, particularly people located inside the United States.

“As we have publicly stated before, all three branches of government are involved in reviewing and authorising intelligence collection under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Congress passed that act and is regularly and fully briefed on how it is used, and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court authorises such collection. There is a robust legal regime in place governing all activities conducted pursuant to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.”

The administration stressed that the court order obtained by the Guardian relates to call data, and does not allow the government to listen in to anyone’s calls.

However, in 2013, such metadata can provide authorities with vast knowledge about a caller’s identity. Particularly when cross-checked against other public records, the metadata can reveal someone’s name, address, driver’s licence, credit history, social security number and more. Government analysts would be able to work out whether the relationship between two people was ongoing, occasional or a one-off.

Read More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/obama-administration-nsa-verizon-records

I disagree KD. I think this is on topic as the federal war on cannabis rages and the tactics they are willing to employ are relevant. I have more than once heard it said that drug money fuels terrorism and those that purchase said drugs are aiding and abetting terrorists. not much of a stretch to using these tactics against us.

I disagree KD. I think this is on topic as the federal war on cannabis rages and the tactics they are willing to employ are relevant. I have more than once heard it said that drug money fuels terrorism and those that purchase said drugs are aiding and abetting terrorists. not much of a stretch to using these tactics against us.

You are right. Unless and until they change the change the laws regarding marijuana, I do not want the government spying on me. The only thing I do that is possibly illegal is to use marijuana. If I didn't have to be concerned about being busted for that sh*t I wouldn't care a lick if the government was monitoring me. I have nothing to hide other than marijuana use.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would agree with what the NSA is doing but please remember this is a medical cannabis website please do what you can to stay on the topic of medical cannabis while this is important its off topic .

My friend I must disagree.  This has everything to do with MMJ because it is illegal federally. Do you not think the fed will give this data to the DEA?  They will share this in their data bases with all government agencies.  All MMJ users will be a risk.  Every mention of MMJ on your phone will now be used as evidence against you.

We as MMJ users must be knowledgeable about how our government violates our personal liberties daily.  If they make a harmless plant illegal what makes you think you can trust them with our most personal intimate phone records?

You are right. Unless and until they change the change the laws regarding marijuana, I do not want the government spying on me. The only thing I do that is possibly illegal is to use marijuana. If I didn't have to be concerned about being busted for that sh*t I wouldn't care a lick if the government was monitoring me. I have nothing to hide other than marijuana use.

Sir did you know we live in a police state?  Even if they change the marijuana laws it is not in our best interest to have our government spy on us.  They don't spy on us to keep us safe but to exploit us and jail us.  What happened to our personal liberties?  What happened to our constitutional right against unjust searches and seizures?  There is no excuse for this abuse of power! 

We as a group (mods and admins) had a Skype discussion on what is relevant to the website unless the story is directly connected to cannabis or the medical marijuana movement its considered clutter .

This  website has gone from one of the leading medical sites in the country to a website that people avoid because of postings like this we use to have tons of growers showing their wares now most time we have an entire front page containing off topic subjects and only me and a small handful of people showing their grows .

Long story short I asked you politely to stay on subject and outside of connecting the DEA to this story because they are part of government doesn't make it relevant we are suppose to be assisting those looking to become patients and or helping with grow tips I fail to see  how a story about the NSA is relevant to our movement? 

We as a group (mods and admins) had a Skype discussion on what is relevant to the website

We and the gov already have the transcript--Skype gives such great voice quality--did you have a cold or were you attempting to fool the NSA?  You were talking dangerous insurrective thots contrary to what you are supposed to be thinking.  You need reprogramming and the Justice Dept. is on it.  U.S. Marshals have been dispatched to your grow as we speak, and your bank accounts were frozen five minutes after you signed off.  By the way, the woman in the room with you.   Did your wife know?

She will now.

The site has been diminished not because of these kinds of postings. There is a distinct absence of leadership that the management chooses, for whatever reason, not to fill or to take upon itself. Cain almost certainly left a bad taste in their mouths. Off topic conversation has been going on forever, and is appropriate within its own threads. It is when off topic remarks intrude on individual conversations that can be described as "relevant to this site" that they are unduly intrusive.

Edited by GregS

OK think this subject OP is getting more relavent KD? Fox News is doing a pretty good job, ehh.

If your original thesis holds true, we have a problem, Houston.

The site has been diminished not because of these kinds of postings. There is a distinct absence of leadership that the management chooses, for whatever reason, not to fill or to take upon itself. Cain almost certainly left a bad taste in their mouths. Off topic conversation has been going on forever, and is appropriate within its own threads. It is when off topic remarks intrude on individual conversations that can be described as "relevant to this site" that they are unduly intrusive.

On target with the first part. Unfortunatley ending with a gutterBall: 

enough with kickin the Cain, that bs is old n stale. try n Keep it in your own mouth gS....enjoy

oops...

Edited by solabeirtan

We as a group (mods and admins) had a Skype discussion on what is relevant to the website unless the story is directly connected to cannabis or the medical marijuana movement its considered clutter .

This  website has gone from one of the leading medical sites in the country to a website that people avoid because of postings like this we use to have tons of growers showing their wares now most time we have an entire front page containing off topic subjects and only me and a small handful of people showing their grows .

Long story short I asked you politely to stay on subject and outside of connecting the DEA to this story because they are part of government doesn't make it relevant we are suppose to be assisting those looking to become patients and or helping with grow tips I fail to see  how a story about the NSA is relevant to our movement? 

To the contrary my friend.  People long for knowledge and these challenging coversations make this forum worth visiting.  Why are you afraid of inforamtion?  Why must you stifle knowledge? 

You forum leaders on your skype are like the bilderberg!  You stifle some speech, but not others?  You have an agenda.... Why not allow free knowledge to flow? 

I posted this under national headlines.  Is this not a national headline? 

To the contrary my friend.  People long for knowledge and these challenging coversations make this forum worth visiting.  Why are you afraid of inforamtion?  Why must you stifle knowledge? 

You forum leaders on your skype are like the bilderberg!  You stifle some speech, but not others?  You have an agenda.... Why not allow free knowledge to flow? 

I posted this under national headlines.  Is this not a national headline? 

Now your trying to paint me like I'm a bad guy because of your hate for the US government Ive never ever deleted anyones threads that weren't total spam but you just like poking and poking trying to get me to explode on you and I'm here to say knock yourself out because ive dealt with way worse on my other website I mod at vs them your a minor irritation .

what makes people leave web sites is when mods  call patients  the enemy  as has happened recently in another thread, ,,  Restriction of free speech   will drive more away also  there  is a thread about walmart seems to be no objections ,, Only threads of Obama seem to be the ones that want to be censored 

Edited by cristinew

History shows it is just a matter of time before someone in power does not like something about you. I just sat in on a speech by Mayor Archer who talked of a country that the leader killed every lawyer, anyone with a known education, and even those who wore glasses, they looked smart...It is not a question of if we will some day have a psychopath in control, it is just a question of when....Criminals will always stay one step ahead of surveillance, so this invasion of privacy just puts the good people at risk.  

When ever you think some government program is a good idea, imagine the worst possible politician in control of the program and how comfortable that makes you.

Edited by thanks2

History shows it is just a matter of time before someone in power does not like something about you. I just sat in on a speech by Mayor Archer who talked of a country that the leader killed every lawyer, anyone with a known education, and even those who wore glasses, they looked smart...It is not a question of if we will some day have a psychopath in control, it is just a question of when....Criminals will always stay one step ahead of surveillance, so this invasion of privacy just puts the good people at risk.  

When ever you think some government program is a good idea, imagine the worst possible politician in control of the program and how comfortable that makes you.

Good points Thanks2.... How can anyone be trusted with personal intimate data of every American Citizen in the US?  This is a strict violation of our constitution.  Who will be president in 2016?  How will he/she use this data?  One things for sure, it won't be used to keep us safe but to imprison millions of more americans for petty victimless crimes. 

Now your trying to paint me like I'm a bad guy because of your hate for the US government Ive never ever deleted anyones threads that weren't total spam but you just like poking and poking trying to get me to explode on you and I'm here to say knock yourself out because ive dealt with way worse on my other website I mod at vs them your a minor irritation .

My friend i have no hate for the government.  Only love and a hope for peace.  But I can understand why you are irritated.  It's quite unnerving to know that every text, spoken word and picture have been recorded and archived without proper warrants.  It sucks knowing some perverted NSA goons are storing every sext I've sent into their giant databases. 

It's a dragnet and now they have evidence on every American.  It will be used to persecute those who dissent.  Used to persecute those who use MMJ or some who worship the wrong god or on the wrong day.  It will be used to shut down small business.  It will be used to build more revenue for the state.  To build more prisons.  

Even with all this data they still couldn't prevent the boston bombing, the mass shootings.  We must never sacrifice liberty for security.  Remember the Japanese internment camps?  Is this a government you can trust with this data?

Sorry for bringing up such a topic but I am not trying to offend you or anyone else.

Hey I Love this Country, too. I was born here, lived most of my life here [95%]. It's a hollow shell of what I grew to know and love. So is Santa Claus and Penny Candy. Time to get real and face the Music.

Did the Unions  take concessions. Did we give the Oil Companies Record Profits. Did the Lotteries improve our Schools and Teachers. Were we forced into a self perpetuated financial debacle, the majority of Citizens losing half their property  values. The Unfortunate ones being fully extended,  losing most everything. Talk about Cruel and Unusual Punishment ? I might do this to somebody I didn't like very much. If they couldn't catch me. Or see me.

Then they Talk about how big they are. Too big to Fail. Guess Not!    IMHO They get an "F" as in Failed.  Back in the day we used to get a "U" for Unsatisfactory. They desrve the "U-".

Go back and Try it Again! Hopefully we'll learn from our mistakes. Though not as fast as any of our foreign partners we value so much. 

TG for Cannabis!  Anyways.......         peace

Edited by solabeirtan