New Caregiver With Questions About Change Form

baseballjunky

Hello, I'm a new caregiver and I just signed my first patient today.  I have a few questions about the change form I'm wondering if someone would be so kind as to help me out with?...or more like double check my work?  I'd like to state I did attempt to call LARA but it's after hours and...well...I'm chomping at the bit to get the paperwork done right the first time and in the mail.  From searching this site I've learned it doesn't take much of a mistake on the forms to wreak havoc so I'm choosing to err on the side of caution and seek guidence from the fine members here.

FYI my new patient has a brand spankin renewed hard card in hand with "NO CAREGIVER" listed on the back.  My questions are as follows:

1) On page (1) section B of the change form under PRIMARY CAREGIVER INFORMATION it states/asks "If already registered to this patient, Current Registry ID Card Number ____________and also asks next to it if Male or Female.  Well since this is a new patient that I'm not currently connected with yet through the registry I choose to leave this line blank... and I'm well aware that I'm a male (lol) but not sure if I'm supposed to check the box or not? 

2) If I don't enter my caregiver registry card # where it asks for it above then where do I put it on the forms?  I don't see anywhere else to put it.  Is it not needed?

3) On page two section C of the change form on question (5) We checked "yes" for both of us for signing and dating the app.   Would that then mean we would leave question (6) blank for the power of attorney since it's not applicable or should I check "no"?  Either way seems acceptable to me ???

Any guidence would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by baseballjunky

welcome to the forums

you wont have a registry id number for this patient until after you register with them via LARA..  then that number would be used if and when they are ready for a renewal.

any other number you might already have for a different patient is for that patient only.. do not enter any number on that line on the change form... each patient whom you register with via LARA has a unique C number... (the combination of numbers is actually their expiration date as well as their patient number)

however i usually write N/A on lines where no response is required..

i learned long ago (and was reiterated in my real estate experiences) that you never ever leave any line blank on a Legal form... (whenever and wherever possible of course :) )

Edited by mibrains

3) On page two section C of the change form on question (5) We checked "yes" for both of us for signing and dating the app.   Would that then mean we would leave question (6) blank for the power of attorney since it's not applicable or should I check "no"?  Either way seems acceptable to me ???

if you checked YES on #5 patient and caregiver signed , you should check NO on #6 power of attorney.

its kind of hilarious the form says you must check yes on every question.

Last point of clarification if anybody cares to comment.  Page (1) Section B of the change form asks for registry Id # IF already registered to patient which (as pointed out by mibrains) I'm not so I leave blank.  Do I check the male/female box directly to the right of that question on the forms or leave blank also?

Thanks ozzrokk and all others who helped!  My patient is none too happy I won't do a transfer without a new card in hand so time is of the essence.  Mailing packet out now.  Thanks again!

Good luck to you and your patient. Yea sometimes the patients are not happy about what you gotta do to secure those section 4 card protections but that is what you have to do to cover your azz.......... Whether we agree with it or not......... If a patient, which most of them ultimately do, cannot understand that then I would not sign with them......

Good luck to you and your patient. Yea sometimes the patients are not happy about what you gotta do to secure those section 4 card protections but that is what you have to do to cover your azz.......... Whether we agree with it or not......... If a patient, which most of them ultimately do, cannot understand that then I would not sign with them......

This!!!  It's been one of my main screening tools.  A patient can trip and fall on meds with out much concern for their legal being...not so much for the caregiver.  I do feel bad for my patient as he is legit and in need but I wouldn't be much use to him if I lost my abilty to provide for him. 

Edited by baseballjunky

This!!!  It's been one of my main screening tools.  A patient can trip and fall on meds with out much concern for their legal being...not so much for the caregiver.  I do feel bad for my patient as he is legit and in need but I wouldn't be much use to him if I lost my abilty to provide for him. 

Exactly and it does suck to have to tell patients in need that this is how it unfortunately has to be.