Hi, I'm new to this forum. I live in the Upper Penn near Ontonagon. I'm a retired veteran, 100% disabled due to PTSD (70%) and unemployability (30%) for and 100% Permanant and Total disability. At 70% that denotes severe PTSD. I've researched and found the nearest MMMA Doctors in Marquette. They are Sage and Denali. I'm looking to get my MMJ card and I'm hoping that someone can reccomend which of these two providers is best or better.

I've also looked at local caregivers and found two in Houghton. Portage Caregiver Center and U.P. Premier Caregivers.

Once I have my card, I'll need to start by purchasing my supply. If this medicine works for me I'll eventually transition to my own very small grow to supply myself with the proper strains that work best for my symptoms.

I admit to ghosting for several months and I've have finally gained enough faith in this membership to post.

Please be kind to me when you respond. I've been struggling with my PTSD for many years. The VA wants to continually add more medications and new drugs. I've spent time in-patient to get medications straightened out. I'm not able to understand negative or personal attacks. Honestly, it's all I can do to simply post here.

Garrett

hello garrett

good morning and welcome to MMMA.org

i am glad you found the courage to post your questions. 

i too am a disabled combat veteran.

to answer your question of the two doctor offices you posted i would definitely and for sure use Denali and NOT Dr Sage.

As of the last two months i know that Dr sages office decided to send all their patients threatening letters attempting to force their patients to pay extra money for a one year follow up appointment or they will contact LARA and revoke their card.

the patients are supposedly told this as a part of their intake documents in the fine print but of the dozen patients i have personally spoke with up there they have all stated they did not know about the back charge and have since decided to change doctors over to Denali who takes the time to explain thee full procedure as well as offer that all follow up visits are included in the initial cost of the certification no matter how many times you need to meet with their doctor to have your questions answered.

As far as caregivers i can only tell you that there is some excellent folks up there that are more than willing to go the extra mile to help you and i hope they will contact you and offer assistance to help you get your grow up and running.

I highly recommend growing your own garden...

for my PTSD there is no better treatment than seeing the progress of life in my garden... the systematic daily routine, the love and attention the plants need to thrive, all the dedication to details has helped calm my rattled brain and helps me focus on true happiness in this universe.

the VA keeps trying to overload me on brain pills but after years of trying it their way i decided to do it mine...i have never been more solid in my personal life and direction of recovery. 

my garden really does bring me peace and calm... (most days- there are the days when you find a bug or a turned leaf or a brown spot that will test your level of understanding and patience)

bottom line - Welcome to the program - we are happy your here.

Thanks you both for the kind words. mibrains, I'm feeling better today. I'm thankful that you steered me away for Sage. Being new here, that's the information that will save me trials and tribulations that we just don't need to endure. I'm getting my VA stuff working again and have my Primary care appointment soon. I'm sure I'll follow your advice and grow my own plants. It's a process from seed to dried that I'm looking forward to undertaking. If you don't mind sharing, which strains have been the most helpful for you? Like all of us here, I'm not looking to get stoned. I'm trying to find a more peaceful life. It's not the VA's fault, even if they do get too "brain pill" happy most times. We can all be labeled with the same diagnosis but the truth is each of us has a very unique and personal struggle so the VA can never win. They don't have the skilled Doctors that are needed to help us. Our future lies in helping each other.

Garrett

Thanks you both for the kind words. mibrains, I'm feeling better today. I'm thankful that you steered me away for Sage. Being new here, that's the information that will save me trials and tribulations that we just don't need to endure. I'm getting my VA stuff working again and have my Primary care appointment soon. I'm sure I'll follow your advice and grow my own plants. It's a process from seed to dried that I'm looking forward to undertaking. If you don't mind sharing, which strains have been the most helpful for you? Like all of us here, I'm not looking to get stoned. I'm trying to find a more peaceful life. It's not the VA's fault, even if they do get too "brain pill" happy most times. We can all be labeled with the same diagnosis but the truth is each of us has a very unique and personal struggle so the VA can never win. They don't have the skilled Doctors that are needed to help us. Our future lies in helping each other.

Garrett

Hi Garrett and welcome,

First off, thank you for your sacrifices. Not many people (myself included) know what it means to sacrifice so much to serve our country.

Next, let me give some advice on the meds you will be growing. Different strains work differently for different people. I know several people who use it for the same medical reason I do. Some swear by certain strains and those same strains don't come close to touching my pain. Other strains work much better for each and every medical issue. You just need to find a strain that works best for you and go from there. It's not really a one size fits all thing....

My friend is a therapist at the VA in Ann Arbor. It's amazing how the federal government doesn't allow patients of the VA to use MMJ. They would rather keep them stoned on dangerous drugs that destroy their internal organs than allow a natural medicine. My friend says he's not even allowed to discuss it with his patients. I sure hope they don't kick folks off of disability for using it. It wouldn't surprise me.

Finally, good luck with your grow and dealing with your issues. I can't express how grateful Americans are for your unselfish sacrifices......

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the very kind encouragement. I've reached out to Denali Healthcare and found out some details. Since I'm a Yooper they only come to my area on scheduled days, mid-July or late July depending on how far I'm willing to travel. The cost is $180 for the appointment and signed forms. They seemed very nice and professional on the phone. It's a shame that more Doctor's aren't willing to join the program and prescribe for us. I have a nice little hospital a couple miles away but they don't support the program. It's completely legal, a State law. Proven medicine that really helps many different patients. Hopefully, the local medical communities will join us. I've battled the VA system for years and I've learned to take the long view and just keep moving forward. Eventually, we'll get there ...