cannabis oil tincture question

Your question is a bit confusing. Do you wish to make cannabis infused olive oil for cooking? Or tincture which can be added to food/drink or taken under the toungue? If you want ticture olive oil is a poor choice, an alcohol, MCT oil, or glycerin tincture would be much better. Or are you wanting to make a vapable/smokable extract?

Edited by glued gorilla

14 hours ago, glued gorilla said:

Your question is a bit confusing. Do you wish to make cannabis infused olive oil for cooking? Or tincture which can be added to food/drink or taken under the toungue? If you want ticture olive oil is a poor choice, an alcohol, MCT oil, or glycerin tincture would be much better. Or are you wanting to make a vapable/smokable extract?

i have ready meidcal cannabis oil and i want to exract the black oil from the tincture in order to somke it or somthing like that , i dont know if it is possible 

2 hours ago, omer said:

i have ready meidcal cannabis oil and i want to exract the black oil from the tincture in order to somke it or somthing like that , i dont know if it is possible 

You are saying that you have infused olive oil and you want to extract the thc from that? I don't think that is possible, at least not in any easy way that could be done at home.

3 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

If it's in olive oil it's not a tincture. Tincture means with alcohol. If it's a tincture then boil off the alcohol. If it's in olive oil it's not going to be separated.  

Glycerin and Mct oil are considered tinctures amongst most people, technically you are right though. Mct and glycerin "tinctures" are actually infusions that can be used in a similar fashion. Olive oil, does not have the same properties, and can not be used this way. If you buy tincture from a dispensary it is most often MCT or Glycerin based.

This is more to inform the op, than to dispute your comment, more just adding info.

A glycerin infusion is considered a tincture but an mct infusion is not generally considered to be one.

"Black" oil is an impure product that contains a number of substances other than active ingredients. The dark color comes from chlorophyll, waxes and other impurities. Much of the misunderstanding comes from Rick Simpson who marketed a crude extraction as if he was the first to do it and claimed it was a cure all.

In a nutshell if you want something clean to smoke your best bet is to start with herb. Freeze it and freeze some high proof alcohol. If you plan on smoking it isopropyl is fine. If you plan on eating or drinking it you might want to use ethanol (Everclear).

Shake the herb up in the alcohol and strain off the liquid. This is known as a quick wash. This keeps a majority of the impurities from dissolving and usually leaves you with a clear green or yellow liquid. If you used ethanol you now have a tincture. You can filter this through activated charcoal to remove most of the impurities that are left.

If you want something to smoke then you have to remove the alcohol. Put it on low heat (preferably no flame) until it reduces and then just put it in front of a fan until the alcohol is gone. Some people like to add a little water because once the water has evaporated you know all the alcohol is gone.

If you want the black oil, which contains a complete extraction of all the elements present in the herb, then let the herb infuse until the remaining herb looks like sawdust. You now have"black oil". Evaporate off the alcohol and you're ready to go.

I would strongly advise against smoking anything that is a fat or oil based extraction. Inhaling burning fats is very dangerous for your lungs. The recent outbreaks of lung disease from vaping was because of Vitamin E acetate being added as a carrier oil to vape cartridges.

Your product may not come out perfect the first time but you will eventually work out the bugs in the process.

You can also buy appliances that make it easier. I can recommend the Super Flower Tower which is a reproduction of the old Iso II machines from the seventies. Look on Amazon for "Essential Oil Extractors" or some folks just use a rice cooker or crock pot. Lots of info online.

https://oldtimemeds.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-make-medicinal-tincture.html

Edited by Wild Bill

5 hours ago, glued gorilla said:

@Wild Bill
 I have bought both glycerin and MCT oil infusions labeled as Tinctures, i have actually found MCT "tinctures" to be more common. Because MCT can be absorbed sublingually, it can be used as a tincture. Also, my prefered method.

It bugs me when people don't follow the actual definition and go out there in left field and call something whatever they want to. Especially with medicine. Reminds me of RSO. 

A tincture is always alcohol based by definition. If it's glycerin pretending to be alcohol, calling it a tincture it really should be taken off the market until they become a little less ignorant about what they are selling. 

No amount of twisting will ever make that glycerin extraction a tincture. 

Educate the people selling it. Boycott the stupidity. 

• 2 years later...