Help us build our room...please.

rockinlespaul

Me and my fiance are both medical patients and she is also a caregiver for a patient. Our first grow went fairly smooth but we have a lot of changing variables now so we are starting from scratch again as far as the room goes.

We first started with buying a large tent and a 1000 watt digital switchable system. Once we had our genetics(clones), we soon realized we couldn't just throw them under the 1000, so we bought a nice 4 ft., 4 bulb T5. That worked out great and soon we bought a 400 watt switchable system with a built in balast(Hydrofarm Sunburst). We put that in the tent with a 12" oscillating fan and all was good.

So finally we got to use the 1000 watter for a little veg and all of the flowering. We added another 12" fan in the tent blowing on the bulb and a 6" 200 cfm exhaust fan above the light going out of the tent. With the lights on, the tent had to be open a little to help control the heat also.

Temps were a consistant 80 degrees F and 40% humidity.

All went well. We harvested 5 plants and it was more than we expected, but now things have changed.....

Now we are in a bigger place and can use the whole room. It's also getting warmer out. What we were doing will NOT work now. we aleady tried, and the 1000 watter had us in the 90's on a 70 degree day. No good.

So we have a 9x10 bedroom. ceiling is about 8 or 9 feet I guess. One window and one closet. One heat duct from under the house. The house has a 4' crawl space.

I have the T5, the 400 and the 1000 to use. Our plant limit is 36 but we will keep it at 24 giving us 8 for each slot...babies, veg and flower.

We need suggestions on setting this whole thing up. Should we ditch the tent and use the whole room? I think so. The tent takes up half the room as it is. I thought about leaving it up to use as a room but each end of the tent is almost at its respective wall, not giving much room for venting fans unless I use the top vent holes supplied.

As I said, the room is 9x10. I need input on venting(in and out), odor control, etc. Even though we are legal, I still want to stay as stealth as possible! Should we use the window to vent or under the house? AGH.....

Newbie?

Why does it say I'm a newbie with 1 post?

Anyways....

Here's some pics of our first go around. It turned out better than we had anticipated!

Lemon Cake...yummy...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/agriv8n/FreeLeonardandLemonCake90days008.jpg

White Widow

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/agriv8n/day87004.jpg

Free Leonard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/agriv8n/FLandWW001.jpg

Free Leonard bud...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/agriv8n/FLandWWHarvest005.jpg

Me and my fiance are both medical patients and she is also a caregiver for a patient. Our first grow went fairly smooth but we have a lot of changing variables now so we are starting from scratch again as far as the room goes.

We first started with buying a large tent and a 1000 watt digital switchable system. Once we had our genetics(clones), we soon realized we couldn't just throw them under the 1000, so we bought a nice 4 ft., 4 bulb T5. That worked out great and soon we bought a 400 watt switchable system with a built in balast(Hydrofarm Sunburst). We put that in the tent with a 12" oscillating fan and all was good.

So finally we got to use the 1000 watter for a little veg and all of the flowering. We added another 12" fan in the tent blowing on the bulb and a 6" 200 cfm exhaust fan above the light going out of the tent. With the lights on, the tent had to be open a little to help control the heat also.

All went well. We harvested 5 plants and it was more than we expected, but now things have changed.....

Now we are in a bigger place and can use the whole room. It's also getting warmer out. What we were doing will NOT work now. we aleady tried, and the 1000 watter had us in the 90's on a 70 degree day. No good.

So we have a 9x10 bedroom. ceiling is about 8 or 9 feet I guess. One window and one closet. One heat duct from under the house. The house has a 4' crawl space.

I have the T5, the 400 and the 1000 to use. Our plant limit is 36 but we will keep it at 24 giving us 8 for each slot...babies, veg and flower.

We need suggestions on setting this whole thing up. Should we ditch the tent and use the whole room? I think so. The tent takes up half the room as it is. I thought about leaving it up to use as a room but each end of the tent is almost at its respective wall, not giving much room for venting fans unless I use the top vent holes supplied.

As I said, the room is 9x10. I need input on venting(in and out), odor control, etc. Even though we are legal, I still want to stay as stealth as possible! Should we use the window to vent or under the house? AGH.....

--..''_=++- yes of course turn the whole room into a living breathing machine of superiority

Guest thequietone

Were are all newbies again. :D Use the tent to flower and the rest of the room for vegging. You could set up a perpetual garden that way.

the from the light,and smell can be neutralized by running air ducts threw out your grow room.industrial strength intake outtake fans connected too them running the air ducts threw out the house wherever you want 2 expel the heat from the light,(preferably under your house under ground)but since times are a changing,you can expel heat where ever you feel like it with out getting scanned by hit tron narc choppers they can no longer harm legal people.so just suck the heat from the 1000 watt light bulb out with your new bad donkey filter system and send it out side some where (threw a chimney?)or out the dryer vent is a good one thats where all your air ducts are waiting in reserve for laundry take note of that system put 2and 2 together and walla a circulatory system for plants humans alike.the smell well you have 2 run another speacial air duct just for it with industrial fans charcoal filters and suck the smell into the giant industrial home made air filter.and expell that well wherever or what ever the case may be every house is kinda not the same so you have 2 become creative at every thing you do for you and your plants and the safety of your family.and remember do not burn the place down make sure its done safe.that is just my little bit of grow advice. i am sure you will get every little detail out of the rest of the savvys .

Sounds like you have some very nice options available to you now! Excellent. Unfortunately a bigger room can mean a little more thought to environmental control.

Ventilation can be tricky when you move up into a larger area. You don't always want to ventilate the entire room with one big fan. Ventilating the whole entire room through one fan almost always results in environmental instability... The most prominant issue with a one fan ventilation system is low-humidity problems. If you suck all the air out of the room you won't be able to sustain a controlled environment. It's HIGHLY recommended to use sealed reflectors and ventilate your lighting seperately from the room itsself. That being said I recommend looking into sealed reflectors. They will help with heat reduction and stabilizing your room TREMENDOUSLY! "Cool-tubes" work well and are very cheap.

As for ventilation exhaust points, you would benefit greatly by being able to vent into the attic. The higher up you can exhaust the heat the less you have to worry about it. Window venting is highly suspicious. I recommend the attic or under the house.

Once you get your heat under control then you have to worry about air exchange. Air exchange can be done with a simple small "duct-booster fan". You may also need some kind of "air intake" or a hole in the room to bring in fresh air. Similar to the "passive intake flaps" on most grow tents. You may not even need air exchange though. Your room may get enough fresh air naturally that all you should have to do is ventilate the heat from the lights via sealed reflectors and make sure the air is circulated nicely within the room.

Odor control will require an exhaust system for the room itsself however. This can be done with a simple carbon filter on the end of the exhaust fan. It is important that the air is sucked THROUGH the carbon filter though. Don't push out through the filter because this will simply not work well at all. The carbon filtration can be a DIY project which is very easy, or you can purchase some very nice ones from various places, like the internet or local grow-shops. Again, your ventilation setup is important when considering odor.

Here's the low-down on your light efficiency and area coverage -

You want to try and achieve a 50w per sq. ft. area of coverage. More light is always better. The closer you can get your plants to the light, the better. Remember, light deminishes EXPONENTIALLY each foot away from the source you get. So light placement and proper coverage is very important.

Here are current estimations of area coverage and thier respective wattages -

400w ~ 2.5ft x 2.5ft

600w ~ 3.5ft x 3.5ft

1000w ~ 5ft x 5ft

Now I'm not sure what size tent you have exactly but to get the absolute MOST out of your lighting you will want to try and construct your grow area with that rule of thumb in mind. The more enclosed you keep your light the more light is available to your plants. MYLAR! If you plan to just sqaure off an area within the room purchase some 2mil. mylar. It will do you WONDERS at keeping your lighting efficient.

Hope that helps a little. Any more questions pertaining to my post just PM me!

Sounds like you have some very nice options available to you now! Excellent. Unfortunately a bigger room can mean a little more thought to environmental control.

Ventilation can be tricky when you move up into a larger area. You don't always want to ventilate the entire room with one big fan. Ventilating the whole entire room through one fan almost always results in environmental instability... The most prominant issue with a one fan ventilation system is low-humidity problems. If you suck all the air out of the room you won't be able to sustain a controlled environment. It's HIGHLY recommended to use sealed reflectors and ventilate your lighting seperately from the room itsself. That being said I recommend looking into sealed reflectors. They will help with heat reduction and stabilizing your room TREMENDOUSLY! "Cool-tubes" work well and are very cheap.

As for ventilation exhaust points, you would benefit greatly by being able to vent into the attic. The higher up you can exhaust the heat the less you have to worry about it. Window venting is highly suspicious. I recommend the attic or under the house.

Once you get your heat under control then you have to worry about air exchange. Air exchange can be done with a simple small "duct-booster fan". You may also need some kind of "air intake" or a hole in the room to bring in fresh air. Similar to the "passive intake flaps" on most grow tents. You may not even need air exchange though. Your room may get enough fresh air naturally that all you should have to do is ventilate the heat from the lights via sealed reflectors and make sure the air is circulated nicely within the room.

Odor control will require an exhaust system for the room itsself however. This can be done with a simple carbon filter on the end of the exhaust fan. It is important that the air is sucked THROUGH the carbon filter though. Don't push out through the filter because this will simply not work well at all. The carbon filtration can be a DIY project which is very easy, or you can purchase some very nice ones from various places, like the internet or local grow-shops. Again, your ventilation setup is important when considering odor.

Here's the low-down on your light efficiency and area coverage -

You want to try and achieve a 50w per sq. ft. area of coverage. More light is always better. The closer you can get your plants to the light, the better. Remember, light deminishes EXPONENTIALLY each foot away from the source you get. So light placement and proper coverage is very important.

Here are current estimations of area coverage and thier respective wattages -

400w ~ 2.5ft x 2.5ft

600w ~ 3.5ft x 3.5ft

1000w ~ 5ft x 5ft

Now I'm not sure what size tent you have exactly but to get the absolute MOST out of your lighting you will want to try and construct your grow area with that rule of thumb in mind. The more enclosed you keep your light the more light is available to your plants. MYLAR! If you plan to just sqaure off an area within the room purchase some 2mil. mylar. It will do you WONDERS at keeping your lighting efficient.

Hope that helps a little. Any more questions pertaining to my post just PM me!

Thank you for all of that good information! The reflector we are using is a open wing type so I think the use of a sealed reflector that we could vent out of the room would be the most help. I guess I wasn't really thinking to much about the reflector and that's the source of the heat(well the bulb, yeah). I was getting ready to buy an air conditioner for the room but really didn't want to if I didn't have to.

How much reduction in heat would you say you would see in one of those reflectors?

Thanks again!

You're welcome. biggrin.gif

Yes, the bulb is the biggest source of heat in the grow room. A 1000w bulb can get VERY hot. Hold your hand about 4-6" away from the bulb, you will definitely feel the heat emitting from that beast. Open "bat-wing" style reflectors are great for reflecting light but no good for dealing with high heat build up. Exactly how much of a heat reduction a sealed ventilated reflector would yield, I couldn't say. BUT from my experience, a sealed reflector is good for, at the very least a 7-10*F reduction in ambient room temperature, easily. You should have very similar results no matter which sealed reflector you choose to go with.

It's important to have the lighting ventilation completely seperate from the room itself though. A closed lighting system is the most efficient indoor method you could invest in. Though I don't know what your normal ambient room temperatures are so it's hard to say if you would actually require an A/C or not.

You may also want to invest in a Thermometer and Hygrometer that also displays the High and Low of both Temperature and Humidity. Helps you see what's happening during the lights-off cycle as well as when the lights are on. They have them at any store really. I know Walmart has a couple good ones for around $20 or so. But I don't know how you feel about shopping there... lol

Overall I think a sealed reflector, some flexible 6" ducting, and some Mylar will bring you up to par and make things much more productive for you. It would also help if you could mount the Ballast somewhere where the heat emitted from the ballast isn't adding to and building up within the room. But sealing off that light and ejecting the heat out of the house would make a HUGE difference, you may not even need to worry about the ballast or an A/C by simply getting a seald ventilated reflector!

You're welcome. biggrin.gif

Yes, the bulb is the biggest source of heat in the grow room. A 1000w bulb can get VERY hot. Hold your hand about 4-6" away from the bulb, you will definitely feel the heat emitting from that beast. Open "bat-wing" style reflectors are great for reflecting light but no good for dealing with high heat build up. Exactly how much of a heat reduction a sealed ventilated reflector would yield, I couldn't say. BUT from my experience, a sealed reflector is good for, at the very least a 7-10*F reduction in ambient room temperature, easily. You should have very similar results no matter which sealed reflector you choose to go with.

It's important to have the lighting ventilation completely seperate from the room itself though. A closed lighting system is the most efficient indoor method you could invest in. Though I don't know what your normal ambient room temperatures are so it's hard to say if you would actually require an A/C or not.

You may also want to invest in a Thermometer and Hygrometer that also displays the High and Low of both Temperature and Humidity. Helps you see what's happening during the lights-off cycle as well as when the lights are on. They have them at any store really. I know Walmart has a couple good ones for around $20 or so. But I don't know how you feel about shopping there... lol

Overall I think a sealed reflector, some flexible 6" ducting, and some Mylar will bring you up to par and make things much more productive for you. It would also help if you could mount the Ballast somewhere where the heat emitted from the ballast isn't adding to and building up within the room. But sealing off that light and ejecting the heat out of the house would make a HUGE difference, you may not even need to worry about the ballast or an A/C by simply getting a seald ventilated reflector!

Thanks brother. I've been looking at sealed refector tubes online since last night, lol. Looks like that's the way to go. I appreciate the help again! We do have a temp/humidity gauge, and we keep the ballast outside of the tent.I think what I need is a good sealed tube reflector, a fan for the inlet, a fan for the outlet and some good ducting!

Thinking about maybe leaving the tent and using the rest of the room for veg. Use the tent to flower. We flowered 5 decent sized plants last time and they came out great. We could maybe squeeze a few more in there.

Turned out nice, i watched your progress in the first one. I'm sure once you setup the second room right it will turn out better.

As far as advice goes on the whole room, it would really be a toss up between using the whole room and utilizing the tent. Each situation is so unique, its hard to evaluate what would be better without having all of the information.

Good luck

TFB

Yea I have to agree with FlyingBuddha on the tent issue. It's a difficult toss up.

I look at it like this though, since you already bought it you might as well use it... But you dont have to use it for bloom. You could always use it for vegetative phase instead.

The only other issue I can think of that you will run into if you decided to use a section of the room for bloom and ditch the tent all together is that you will also have your vegetative lighting going for 18hrs or more in that same room. So the complete darkness your blooming ladies need will be compromised by the vegetative lighting. You will inevitably have to seal off one or the other.

Personally, I seal off the vegetative phase in a small box with one small fan ventilating the box. It's easier to seal off smaller lights in boxes because they don't produce as much heat. So they make the environment within the box more manageable.

I use a 4ft long 4 Bulb - 216w High Output T5 light for vegetative phase in a 4ft long x 3ft tall x 2ft deep custom made box. Works perfect. It really doesn't put off a whole lot of heat and the vegetative phase generally requires less space to begin with so it should be easier to box off and light proof the vegetative box within the grow room and setup your bloom area with a little more breathing room.

Either way will work though. Using the tent as your bloom box and the rest of the room for vegetative growth would essentially work just as well. It's just that the heat will build up faster in the tent with that 1000w bulb in it. But with proper ventilation and a proper reflector it may not even be an issue so it may work out best that way.

Yea I have to agree with FlyingBuddha on the tent issue. It's a difficult toss up.

I look at it like this though, since you already bought it you might as well use it... But you dont have to use it for bloom. You could always use it for vegetative phase instead.

The only other issue I can think of that you will run into if you decided to use a section of the room for bloom and ditch the tent all together is that you will also have your vegetative lighting going for 18hrs or more in that same room. So the complete darkness your blooming ladies need will be compromised by the vegetative lighting. You will inevitably have to seal off one or the other.

Personally, I seal off the vegetative phase in a small box with one small fan ventilating the box. It's easier to seal off smaller lights in boxes because they don't produce as much heat. So they make the environment within the box more manageable.

I use a 4ft long 4 Bulb - 216w High Output T5 light for vegetative phase in a 4ft long x 3ft tall x 2ft deep custom made box. Works perfect. It really doesn't put off a whole lot of heat and the vegetative phase generally requires less space to begin with so it should be easier to box off and light proof the vegetative box within the grow room and setup your bloom area with a little more breathing room.

Either way will work though. Using the tent as your bloom box and the rest of the room for vegetative growth would essentially work just as well. It's just that the heat will build up faster in the tent with that 1000w bulb in it. But with proper ventilation and a proper reflector it may not even be an issue so it may work out best that way.

I was going to ditch the tent and seperate the room in half, but then there's the issue of venting both. I think using the tent for flowering may work best as long as I can get the heat under control. The light hours are different, but if using the tent for flowering I could just zip it up at it's 12th hour(making sure there are no light leaks of course). The rest of the room would be veg, so you wouldn't have to worry about the light period. You would walk into a lit working room.

Yep.

Air-cooled...heres one I think is about the best...

Hydrofarm Radiant 6 AC Reflector

http://www.4hydroponics.com/lighting/radiant6ac.asp

Grow Co offer 15% to card holders and free shipping over 250$

This is also the best price Ive seen on the net...get someotherstuff free shipping!

Yeah...its always a challenge

Very important to set it up right....you may want to lose the tent and use the closet for veg?

Anyway...if you have air conditioning it might work to pull air from the rest of the house and even vent back into your house...comes in handy in the winter...If you do vent into a crawl space or attic be mindful of mold...perhaps a vent filter material for mold and bugs?

But expelling hot air down....when its at the top of the room...hmmm...I would try to vent into the house and bring in air-conditioned air from the house...also keeps you aware of the smell factor

Yep.

Air-cooled...heres one I think is about the best...

Hydrofarm Radiant 6 AC Reflector

http://www.4hydroponics.com/lighting/radiant6ac.asp

Grow Co offer 15% to card holders and free shipping over 250$

This is also the best price Ive seen on the net...get someotherstuff free shipping!

Yeah...its always a challenge

Very important to set it up right....you may want to lose the tent and use the closet for veg?

Anyway...if you have air conditioning it might work to pull air from the rest of the house and even vent back into your house...comes in handy in the winter...If you do vent into a crawl space or attic be mindful of mold...perhaps a vent filter material for mold and bugs?

But expelling hot air down....when its at the top of the room...hmmm...I would try to vent into the house and bring in air-conditioned air from the house...also keeps you aware of the smell factor

I was going to go with the tube that Hydrofarm sells. I do they their products. My T5 and my 400 are Hydrofarm also.

The reason I was going to go with the tube was for coverage. The hooded reflectors limit my coverage area. That's the one thing I don't like about our Sunburst(400).

This thing I'm talking about is a glass(Pyrex)tube vented on the ends and also has a batwing type reflector above it. Looks nifty...No air in the house, but we could try venting into the rest of the house first. I'll get a ac unit if I have to.

Maybe bring in fresh air from the crawl space? It's super clean under there. It's heated and has lights as well. The house is fairly new. I could put a fine screen filter on the intake.

Its an experiment!

Get the temps right and enough air exchange...you will be good

Lowes/home Depot hardware stores have vent filter material rated for mold spores...bugs...dust...pollen...thin and inexpensive...A good defense

with 1000watts the tube may be right for you!

Check out Grow co...they have had conssitantly competetive prices out of Grand Rapids

ANd have a payed MMMA add...the reasons why I spam for them all the time...lol

Newbie?

Why does it say I'm a newbie with 1 post?

Sucks, doesn't it. heh.

Hey! Good to see you again. I have no idea where my original avi is, but enough people know me and everyone will upload soon enough.

You know, you just get into the flow of things online.

Anyway, great looking grow, can't wait to see more. We'll have to get together on that project sometime soon. Let's see how it goes. Good to see you on here again.

Hash Bash was alright. I went. It was a great day out.

400 w is good for a 4' x4' area, you'd be surprised i was growing 12 plants under 1 400 watt and they turned out very nice and bushy, no sign of spindly growth. you rarely need to use a 1000 w light, you're better off with 2 400's the light covers a greater area. as far as venting i just keep my window in the room open and with the heat off the lights it balances out perfectly, if it gets too cold, supplement heat with a space heater :)

It looks like you have recieved some good tips. I would NOT use the tubes, they are not as efficient as your thinking. The Radiant reflector from Hydrofarm is an excellent choice for intense light spread & I would focus your 1000 watt lights over a 4x4 primary area. This would mean that the approximate lighting requirements for your room demensions would be appx 4000 watts, as the minimum should be 40 watts per square foot, if you pushed it to 50 you would be heavy in saturation which will never be a bad thing.

The essentials for room set up that need to be complete before you beging to waste your electricity & time are;

1. Air out. You must be able to remove ALL of the air in the room in 3 mins. A 9x10x10 room is 900 cubic feet, so you need an exaust fan that is 300cfm, but I would go ahead and use a 6 inch can fan, most have close to 400 cfms, give or take a few.

2.Air in; you need less coming in than your exaust can remove, this will create a negative pressure which will help when the exaust runs. ( exaust will only run when temps are up)

3. 40 watts per square foot minimum. 9x10=90x40=4000 Watts. If you don't use this ratio at a minimum you will have Airy buds. Intense light is essential, You are attempting to replace the sun.

This is just a simple guide to the minimum requirement to do it right. HOpefully all of the advice you have had from this post will keep you from wasting your resources!

Good luck!

Dman

It looks like you have recieved some good tips. I would NOT use the tubes, they are not as efficient as your thinking. The Radiant reflector from Hydrofarm is an excellent choice for intense light spread & I would focus your 1000 watt lights over a 4x4 primary area. This would mean that the approximate lighting requirements for your room demensions would be appx 4000 watts, as the minimum should be 40 watts per square foot, if you pushed it to 50 you would be heavy in saturation which will never be a bad thing.

The essentials for room set up that need to be complete before you beging to waste your electricity & time are;

1. Air out. You must be able to remove ALL of the air in the room in 3 mins. A 9x10x10 room is 900 cubic feet, so you need an exaust fan that is 300cfm, but I would go ahead and use a 6 inch can fan, most have close to 400 cfms, give or take a few.

2.Air in; you need less coming in than your exaust can remove, this will create a negative pressure which will help when the exaust runs. ( exaust will only run when temps are up)

3. 40 watts per square foot minimum. 9x10=90x40=4000 Watts. If you don't use this ratio at a minimum you will have Airy buds. Intense light is essential, You are attempting to replace the sun.

This is just a simple guide to the minimum requirement to do it right. HOpefully all of the advice you have had from this post will keep you from wasting your resources!

Good luck!

Dman

Thanks for the input Dman.

We ended up picking up a 400 cfm 6" fan and I set it up bringing in fresh air from under the house. Knocked the temps down instantly. Now I'm running in the 70's with good humidity(45%). We also bought a can fan filter/fan combo for odor and more fresh air.

Still working on everything, but so far it's going ok.

Archived