Reusing Soil

David1946

I recently culled out three male plants and would to know if it is safe to reuse the soil. I did not see any "balls" in the dirt and none had opened. I have no problem using it in my garden outside if the risk is to great for my MM to become accidentally pollinated. I am using Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

Thanks

Pollen is not likely something to worry about - as long as you rinse everything thoroughly the water will make any pollen useless, however I never re-use soil indoors as that's a great way to run into problems with spreading disease and promoting root rot. Not to mention the male plant likely used up a large portion of the nutrients that are present in soil, which would need to be replenished before re-using it. You might get lucky and save a couple of dollars by reusing your soil, but in the long run the risks associated with it are not worth it, but everyone has their own opinion on the subject and I know plenty of growers that get good results and always re-use their soil. I would much rather spend a few extra dollars on fresh soil and not take the chance of having something happen to a plant because of it. However I do use my left over soil outside in my wife's flower and vegetable garden and this works just fine.

I recently culled out three male plants and would to know if it is safe to reuse the soil. I did not see any "balls" in the dirt and none had opened. I have no problem using it in my garden outside if the risk is to great for my MM to become accidentally pollinated. I am using Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

Thanks

Hi i have used mine 3 times great grows every time with ffof changing this time thou!

Soil can be re-used. I would point in you in a similar direction as herb green has. Do a little research and see what experienced growers have to say on the subject. www.icmag.com is a great resource, there is a lot of knowledgeable people there including some of old schoolers from OG. I personally don't re-use soil, but everyone has their own method.

TFB

It can be reused however, I would advise against it. FFOF is great soil but it's no where near as great after you have a plant suck all the goodies out of it. If money is tight go ahead but if you can afford getting new then it will be money well spent.

The big question I have is why?

It's not really worth the hassle in my opinion. What you are growing is worth way more than the soil, it's not even an issue worth risking your nice buds over.

Yeah, you can recondition it but that's as much work as mixing a new batch. Saving a couple dollars like this will probably cost you way more in yield.

Spend the extra cash and enjoy a maximum harvest.

The big question I have is why?

It's not really worth the hassle in my opinion. What you are growing is worth way more than the soil, it's not even an issue worth risking your nice buds over.

Yeah, you can recondition it but that's as much work as mixing a new batch. Saving a couple dollars like this will probably cost you way more in yield.

That is how I feel about it too. Why not buy a big bag of soilless mix (you can buy 4 cubic feet bags of Promix for $30), and mix up your own batches of soil? It would be less work than reusing normal soil, and without all the unnecessary risk of rot or disease associated with reusing soil. It also would be similar cost wise to reconstituting soil, without all the added effort.

• 1 month later...

I re use it, but I let it sit for a while, clear out all old roots, and then toss in some worm castings, and a little dolomite lime and it's good to go.

About every 6 months I will throw out half of my soil and then mix the remaining half in with new soil, so it get re energised every six months.

This has been working great for several years now.

In your case I would say it's still basically new soil, since you just culled 3 vegging males out of it, myself, I'd clear the roots and re use it.

however I never re-use soil indoors as that's a great way to run into problems with spreading disease and promoting root rot.

I personally don't re-use soil, but everyone has their own method.

TFB

It can be reused however, I would advise against it.

It's not really worth the hassle in my opinion.

i concur

I have reconditioned and re-used soil in the past, but no longer do so. It was a hassle having two to three tiimes as much soil around, waiting the months it takes to be reconditioned. I use the old soil to patch area's of my yard that are in sad shape and buy new soil for every grow I do. Sure, it is somewhat of an expense, but a whole lot less of a pia...peace...j.b.

I'm not in MI yet so it's not easy to be hauling bag after bag of new soil into the house past my retired, nosy neighbors, so in my case reuse is the safer, and more practical option for me.

Once I get there and can breathe a bit easier, then I will most likely switch it out each time.

P.S. I didn't know this site edits your posts, I'm looking at where I typed a** and it says donkey, lol

Archived