Growing Outdoors

Nothing ! Just make sure you "harden off" first !

Hardening a plant: it is as easy as 1. placing strong fan with alot of movement on them for first week to ensure they are strong. 2. IN & OUT concept, where I have them out in 100% shade for a few hours a day for around a week. 3. Then I place them outdoors full time in 100% shade for another week, 4. introduce full sun over 3-6 hour periods each day, build it up to full day of sun over next week or two. (makeing it 3-4 week job)

My last outdoor was done this way (and usually done this way)! I have photo if you want.

its hard to watch them getting whipped around during thunderstorms but you have to resist the urge to drag them back indoors...they are stronger than you think. but def harden them first...nice tip. their stems end up looking almost like bamboo from being outside.

Not enough people consider this when choosing an outdoor strain in michigan. It will take a little bit more research.... Find out where the parents of the strain originated from. Working with a strain that originated from a latitude similar to here in michigan well end up in proper ripening of the buds. For some of the stronger hitting indicas there are used to being close to the equator, our long summer days here in michigan throw off their flowering time. By the time the days get short enough around here for the plant to really start flowering its already mid august for some varieties, and this doesn't give them enough time to fully ripen before the frost comes. This does leave the option of finishing them inside.

One last thing, many people successfully grow outside without a problem, don't let this discourage you. It just helps to have a strain that lends itself well to our crazy long summer days here in michigan.

good luck and stay safe.

TFB

Don't put your girls out until the first week of June ( unless you can protect them or have a greenhouse ). Many a crop have died due to late frosts. Heck, we had a frost in my area the third week of August last year. Also, indoor girls have little to no resistance to UVs, so give them indirect sun for about a week to 10 days before exposing them to full sun for any length of time. And yeah, make sure the strains you grow will mature in time. I have 2 sativa dominant strains which go well into November during flowering, so I built a greenhouse this year to avoid immature harvests.

How can you grow outside if it's supposed to be locked? I thought of maybe getting some Dog Pens and locking the gates to them, which would be totally outside and totally visible,(which just makes me paranoid of EVERYONE! LOL!) If you have some idea's on how to do it, within the current law, and keep it on the down low, please post some thoughts. I am all about using the sun to do the work for me. Not sure how much electricity it takes to grow indoors, as I am just looking into how I am going to go about it. But I would love to just grow it next to my tomatoes! Any thoughts on what a good set up outside would be?

I'd like to see if it's handy.

This was the last photo I got: (height of green house is 6ft. )

SK 1# - in front (it was almost as wide as tall :huh: )

And family indica strain we call BIG MUMMA - in back ground shooting for stars.

Tabbaco in fornt.

001-20.jpg

Not enough people consider this when choosing an outdoor strain in michigan. It will take a little bit more research.... Find out where the parents of the strain originated from. Working with a strain that originated from a latitude similar to here in michigan well end up in proper ripening of the buds. For some of the stronger hitting indicas there are used to being close to the equator, our long summer days here in michigan throw off their flowering time. By the time the days get short enough around here for the plant to really start flowering its already mid august for some varieties, and this doesn't give them enough time to fully ripen before the frost comes. This does leave the option of finishing them inside.

One last thing, many people successfully grow outside without a problem, don't let this discourage you. It just helps to have a strain that lends itself well to our crazy long summer days here in michigan.

good luck and stay safe.

TFB

TFB

I have been putting clones out doors (after getting good roots) and have had nothing but bad luck,,That was mostly white widow and blueberry and strawberry, got one to grow about 2 ft and bud, but nothing realy good, on the other hand i was doing it on the sly and not in my yard but big brothers yard, so i realy couldnt get their enough, (didnt want to be seen to often there( I even used some of them bottles you stick in the ground for watering for a few days at a time, with nutes, I guess im just a hydro pellet grower,,I would love to have a good out door grow in my back yard, but dont want any one seeing it,(parinoia it will get you, me)

That is awesome. I would love to grow outdoors legally, just not sure how to go about it and keep it locked and out of sight. Paranoia can make for a bad bed fellow and I don't sleep good as it is. I might be able to strategically place some 6-8 foot pines around an area and place a chain link dog pen with a lockable door in the middle. The worst thing is to make it lockable, which to me, makes it stick out like a 10x10 sign post printed up saying, "HERE IT IS! COME AND GET IT!" I will have to ponder this for awhile, which is ok as we have a few weeks before the frost is gone for the summer.

Make sure you harden up your little ones before putting them outdoors in direct UV of the sun, but you probably know that already. Just with my experience with gardening in soil, veggies, fruits and such, they don't need as much watering and nutes as something running in a hydro garden as there is a whole world of goodies for them to pull from in the soil.

Ian, a few questions about your outdoor grow. Are those windows or screens in the sides? I ask because I really would like something outside to grow some plants and windows are a lot more expensive than screens. Also, is that a stand still greenhouse or do you have it attached to another structure? I may be able to come off a structure I already have on my property and make the door there, so you would have to get into one building(one lock) in order to enter the greenhouse. That may be the way to go. I see there is nothing on the roof besides rafters, which is great for letting them grow, for letting rain in. Very cool!

That is awesome. I would love to grow outdoors legally, just not sure how to go about it and keep it locked and out of sight. Paranoia can make for a bad bed fellow and I don't sleep good as it is. I might be able to strategically place some 6-8 foot pines around an area and place a chain link dog pen with a lockable door in the middle. The worst thing is to make it lockable, which to me, makes it stick out like a 10x10 sign post printed up saying, "HERE IT IS! COME AND GET IT!" I will have to ponder this for awhile, which is ok as we have a few weeks before the frost is gone for the summer.

Make sure you harden up your little ones before putting them outdoors in direct UV of the sun, but you probably know that already. Just with my experience with gardening in soil, veggies, fruits and such, they don't need as much watering and nutes as something running in a hydro garden as there is a whole world of goodies for them to pull from in the soil.

Ian, a few questions about your outdoor grow. Are those windows or screens in the sides? I ask because I really would like something outside to grow some plants and windows are a lot more expensive than screens. Also, is that a stand still greenhouse or do you have it attached to another structure? I may be able to come off a structure I already have on my property and make the door there, so you would have to get into one building(one lock) in order to enter the greenhouse. That may be the way to go. I see there is nothing on the roof besides rafters, which is great for letting them grow, for letting rain in. Very cool!

Hey Nemosity, Yes that is just a 70/30 shade cloth on sides not windows. Yes it is stand alone structure with paved floor. And yep no roof !

Regards

Ian

Ian Your grow looks great!

I beleive the law says a locked room is to consist of 4 walls a ceiling and door with lock, so i would have to say sreen or chain link fence etc, and either the rafters or rafters with screen on them with a door is legal? (I dont claim to be a lawyer or know it all so please correct me if im wrong)

I beleive most of us know of some one very active in the mm community that had an outside grow, in a fenced in pen with door lock and screen on top (ceiling) and leo came and took it all! now i have alot of admireration for this fella that it happened to. some times we need to keep things to our selves and not share with the neighbors or friends no matter how much you trust them. in this situaiton, the kennel was in the front yard. (lake side) houses on every lot on the lake, this pen stood out like a sore thumb, I have been using weed since i could breath lol,,but Im not realy sure i would want to look out my window for a great lake view and see a mm garden(yes they are beautiful) but if you dont beleive in mm(like alot of the old timers) than you wont like looking at that every day..lets face it pot has gotten a bad name from the government for yrs now, and we just cant change some folks minds, like my own father(retired police officer old school).

Yea it is our rite to grow as legal patients or c.g's but we realy dont have to rub it in any ones face. we can not smoke it in public legaly, (i cant walk around a state campground smoking a joint, but i can drinking a beer in most) so we have some work to do, their already are enough people in the court systems that will win and will set precidence in the laws and rulings in the future, If you have a good sun filled secluded area than by all means do a summer outside grow, only set back i see is longer crop time, versus indoor grow, inside we are mother nature and can make the weather what ever we want!!

I can't find the specific thread, but there is a member named Kingpin who was busted last year for growing in a dog kennel. He had a card. The police said it wasn't secure enough, took his stuff, and charged him with a crime. All of it ended up being dismissed. I wish I had the actual ruling as it made sense and seemed to set up somewhat of a legal precedent for outdoors growing.

The problem, though, is that LEO would be half the problem. Plants out in the open in a dog kennel is gong to make an attractive target for rippers.

I will be growing outside this year, but I am planning on using an old horse barn. Basically, remove the tin roof and replace it with translucent plastic and line the walls with Panda film. I would imagine the same could be done with a shed. It would get light for the plants through the roof, but the plants would not be visible to your neighbors.

TFB

I have been putting clones out doors (after getting good roots) and have had nothing but bad luck,,That was mostly white widow and blueberry and strawberry, got one to grow about 2 ft and bud, but nothing realy good, on the other hand i was doing it on the sly and not in my yard but big brothers yard, so i realy couldnt get their enough, (didnt want to be seen to often there( I even used some of them bottles you stick in the ground for watering for a few days at a time, with nutes, I guess im just a hydro pellet grower,,I would love to have a good out door grow in my back yard, but dont want any one seeing it,(parinoia it will get you, me)

Yes, this is largely a discretionary matter. I don't encourage anyone to grow outside unless they are comfortable with it. There is no need to take unnecessary risks. I prefer an area larely away from people and traffic, i hear the UP has lots of wide open areas =). Icmag had a good thread at one point about outdoor growing strains and where they can be grown properly. I can't seem to find it right now, but i know its out there. I remember seeing some of Mandala mike's strains on the michigan part, there were lots of others as well. Have you ever seen someone with an outdoor/greenhouse hydro setup? My god, i've never seen bigger plants....it was kind of ridiculous. Maybe someday you'll find a better location.

TFB

I just think that outdoor growing is more natural, letting the sun do most of the work instead of having to pay another big company for it. I have an area in mind that would be perfect, but it would cost me more money upfront having to fence it all in with a privacy fence. Hmm.... And having only 12 plants with no description of what those plants are, i.e. male, female, two inches or twelve feet tall, I would want to grow the taller of the two, and have more medicine. To stay within my 2.5 ounces I would just hang the plants, root and all to dry, trimming the fan leaves. Then just take what I need, when I need it as long as that amount is under or @ 2.5 ounces. While the plants hang there, there just plants and still count against the 12 plant limit, but if there full of bud, that's just fine with me. What do you think?

I can't find the specific thread, but there is a member named Kingpin who was busted last year for growing in a dog kennel. He had a card. The police said it wasn't secure enough, took his stuff, and charged him with a crime. All of it ended up being dismissed. I wish I had the actual ruling as it made sense and seemed to set up somewhat of a legal precedent for outdoors growing.

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=18&t=17887&qpid=155616

Thanks Glen Im in Shiawassee Co Owosso . P A is Randy Colbry. The Hit & Run Man. Case has been tossed out bye a circuit judge . But this Guy dont want to say he was wrong. Taking it to appeals court when all the while i never broke a law. But my civil rights where very much violated. Feel RAPED

This case has not set legal precendent yet, it is on appeal and heading to the Higher Courts.

I would think you could find a greenhouse that would have the best of both worlds. you could use a hydro system and get the use of natural light. I have been thinking this would make for a good way for caregivers to run there business. You could lock it up at night and if you had dog to roam the yard it would be better yet. Just a point of view.

I would love to make a grow outside. If you have a fenced in yard that was locked , would that work? Not a screen fence but a wood fence, like 6 feet high.

sure and before the sun gets over the fence you can put the buckets on 6' ladders, and when the sun is slowly going down you can do the same. lol, im just messin with ya,,,dog kennel should be legal with a top, and locked gate, but I know some one first hand who got their sheet taken and Im hearing another on here had same thing happen..so I guess the green house thing works, but if you are in the suburbs excpect troubles. best to do on some of your own private property!

sure and before the sun gets over the fence you can put the buckets on 6' ladders, and when the sun is slowly going down you can do the same. lol, im just messin with ya,,,dog kennel should be legal with a top, and locked gate, but I know some one first hand who got their sheet taken and Im hearing another on here had same thing happen..so I guess the green house thing works, but if you are in the suburbs excpect troubles. best to do on some of your own private property!

I guess what i mean is if you live in the country or more off on your own, and your entire yard is surrounded by a 6 ft wooden privacy fence with a locked gate. So in the middle of your yard, you`ve done some landscaping and crap and now have like a flower garden, frog ponds, etc... and throughout that area you have a few plants scattered here and there. What you think?

That may work but only if your the only person living there, and you never have anyone over that isn't a card carrying patient/cc. Legally speaking, it should be only accessible to you or your caregiver if you are in possession of the plants. However, if you had a small dog kennel with a top, that was not visible from the road, and it was also locked, that should suffice by law. But understand that I am a patient and have been dealing with law related issues for quite some time. I am not, however, a legal attorney or even a paralegal, just someone that in the course of his life, had to deal with a bunch of moo poo in court for a few years. So I got the legal-ease wording down and even wrote some of my own briefs and responses to file. I must have done something right, because I ended up getting what I wanted done. I believe this advice is legally sound but it's always good to speak with an attorney before you decide what do to, just to be safe. And most attorneys will only charge you a minimal fee to sit down and discuss, or discuss via a phone call. Just my two cents.

----Nemo

Archived