Is 40 Too Cold At Night Even If I Cover Them

stonecrowe316

should i have my heaters on or will they be ok covered at night

i think we are finally out of the bullsh*t winter, but i wouldnt take any chances.

keep a close eye on the nightly weather, i would stick with the heaters for the next 2 weeks JUST TO BE SAFE, but i think you are ok.

i signed up for text weather alerts last week, and the first thing they did was throw a frost advisory at me for yesterday morning. i honestly took a minute and thought about all you outdoorsman, and even told my wife i hope everyone has their sh*t in order :)

i think we are finally out of the bullsh*t winter, but i wouldnt take any chances.

keep a close eye on the nightly weather, i would stick with the heaters for the next 2 weeks JUST TO BE SAFE, but i think you are ok.

i signed up for text weather alerts last week, and the first thing they did was throw a frost advisory at me for yesterday morning. i honestly took a minute and thought about all you outdoorsman, and even told my wife i hope everyone has their sh*t in order :)

well there in a locked fenced up green house too i dint mention that.but is 40 about

the limit for cold temp

In my tent, in my basement the temps got down just below 50 this winter a couple of times. Did not kill anything but slowed growth & left behind some black spots(the size of a dime). .... For sure its not a good thing.............I would go with the heaters & try to keep it above 50......

well there in a locked fenced up green house too i dint mention that.but is 40 about

the limit for cold temp

In my tent, in my basement the temps got down just below 50 this winter a couple of times. Did not kill anything but slowed growth & left behind some black spots(the size of a dime). .... For sure its not a good thing.............I would go with the heaters & try to keep it above 50......

going with lkline300 on this one once again.

if i had to choose an ABSOLUTE low temp for my plants it would be 50 degrees. once that comes, the little needle is buried in the red zone, the alarms go off, dogs bark, the heavens open up and massive thunder erupts, lights start flashing................ you get the picture.

there is "ideal" and then there is "getting by"........... obviously you are just trying to get by right now until summer hits in full force, so yeah, be safe, and put the heaters on.

Cannabis growth is inhibited below approx. 55 degrees. This means that each time you allow your temps to fall below this threshold, you are adding a few days to your flowering time. This is also true of watering with cold water, this type of stress can also bring out the hermi trait in those strains that are suseptible to this...I normally don't put anything out til the traditional May 24 weekend. Michigan can be brutal, weather wise, doing so any sooner in the year. Of course, that May 24 date is arbitrary, but these cooler nights can and will cause you some problems. Also, putting plants out to early (day length wise) could throw some plants into a spring flowering situation. There are meteorlogical charts available from the net that will tell you when we reach the date when the hours of light are more than 12 per day....Peace...j.b.

Yep, gonna need the heaters... You guy's are right on point!! End of may first week of June is a good bet. Room temp and ph balanced water is crucial. I don't ever like the temp to fall below 60... That's scary :blink: Hope they make it for ya!! Everyone think warm thoughts!! Peace!!

To be clear, they will be slowed, but absolutely will survive. A well established plant should survive a frost.

Frost... Now that's some scary stuff, Maybe some strains might make it, but from my experience frost is bad JUJU have to at least cover them or something even if they are well established. Ahhhh Scary......

To be clear, they will be slowed, but absolutely will survive. A well established plant should survive a frost.

The cherry farmers up here would disagree.....

Frost is a plant killer................At the very least a fruit killer............

hopefully this last round was the it for the year...................

The cherry farmers up here would disagree.....

Frost is a plant killer................At the very least a fruit killer............

hopefully this last round was the it for the year...................

Yeah, the cherry farmers have had some sleepless nights lately and I agree hopefully this last is it for the season. I saw they had some snow on some of those blooms...Scary

Let me say this, the most important part to protect from frost is the roots. Some people like to fill up an old milk jug with warm water and place them around the plants, this will the temperature around the rootst a few degrees at nighttime if they are worried as frost may fall that night. This is just something i heard from somewhere, i've never really tried it myself.

Also i would never plant outside in michigan before june 1st. Just my two cents.

Let me say this, the most important part to protect from frost is the roots. Some people like to fill up an old milk jug with warm water and place them around the plants, this will the temperature around the rootst a few degrees at nighttime if they are worried as frost may fall that night. This is just something i heard from somewhere, i've never really tried it myself.

Also i would never plant outside in michigan before june 1st. Just my two cents.

I wouldnt plant clones outside before 6-1 but if you are putting seeds in, your a lil late for northern mi. and the sun is coming and the snow is gone!

grow on!

should i have my heaters on or will they be ok covered at night

Oh you kids! Those plants will be fine in below freezing for just a few hours. Those last two frosts made them droop a little but when the sun hits them they stand right back up! Sheesh, this is called Hardening and when its a little frost warning for one or two nights in a row is no issue! Your leaves might droop and wither but the root is still hard at work. Starting your seed germinated in the outdoors makes them hardy and strong. Kids don't be afraid and panic. Yeah, if the freeze stays all night and day then say good-bye but if the weatherman says "freeze warning" look at the time, is it all day or from 3 AM to 8 AM? Think spring and look at all the other plants that get thru those moments! That morning sun and warmth perks them right back and they grow even faster! This is all advice I have experienced in the last year and I played with the weather to see how much these can handle, well they can handle a lot more than I can! So have a great grow, ask the creator to bless your grow and understanding and be free of chemicals! I have grown plants all my life but this is the most fun!I almost love growing the plant so much I hate cutting her down! This is a pic of my last harvest of PP.

Sorry I am an old lady and I use Foxfarm! Any really good suggestions is welcome! I love information!

excellent post wolfgama. is PP=power plant? let's see that picture!! i heard she's good outside, i don't know yet. i have a 60 day indoor pure power plant that i crossed with some early flowering outdoor genetics. hoping to be all wrapped up mid-september with some phenos done early september. i don't like messing with october, that's bud rot and theft season.

anybody here to report they lost their babies in the cold recently?

didn't think so. GROW ON.

the limit for cold temp

Joe they will be fine, sheet i havent had the heat on in my house for a month..the sun warms up the place all day and thru the nite, its only a few hrs a nite and they are not exposed to the frost,

Grow on and save on your electric bill!

Peace

Oh you kids! Those plants will be fine in below freezing for just a few hours. Those last two frosts made them droop a little but when the sun hits them they stand right back up! Sheesh, this is called Hardening and when its a little frost warning for one or two nights in a row is no issue! Your leaves might droop and wither but the root is still hard at work. Starting your seed germinated in the outdoors makes them hardy and strong. Kids don't be afraid and panic. Yeah, if the freeze stays all night and day then say good-bye but if the weatherman says "freeze warning" look at the time, is it all day or from 3 AM to 8 AM? Think spring and look at all the other plants that get thru those moments! That morning sun and warmth perks them right back and they grow even faster! This is all advice I have experienced in the last year and I played with the weather to see how much these can handle, well they can handle a lot more than I can! So have a great grow, ask the creator to bless your grow and understanding and be free of chemicals! I have grown plants all my life but this is the most fun!I almost love growing the plant so much I hate cutting her down! This is a pic of my last harvest of PP.

Sorry I am an old lady and I use Foxfarm! Any really good suggestions is welcome! I love information!

I have to disagree. I have a deck full of dead plants at the moment. Corn, melons, tomatoes, and a few other veggies all dead from Saturday night. Carrots, lettuce, strawberries survived, but they are early Spring plants. Cannabis plants are tropical and none of mine will see the sun until June 1 and then they go in a greenhouse. Just my 2 cents.

I have to disagree. I have a deck full of dead plants at the moment. Corn, melons, tomatoes, and a few other veggies all dead from Saturday night. Carrots, lettuce, strawberries survived, but they are early Spring plants. Cannabis plants are tropical and none of mine will see the sun until June 1 and then they go in a greenhouse. Just my 2 cents.

Boy!! you were brave to have those out already... sucks you lost em :( Yeah, Frost is bad JUJU.... cold at night is one thing.. If it freezes you have to cover or bring in. We should heed Gmama's note that cold at night does harden a strain that is for sure.. but if it's a freeze I would cover or bring in. I try to stay on the safe not sorry side of things :)

Archived