Fibromyalgia Clinical Trials?

At one time I had composed a printout with this information, but I did not get to release it. This is not the same list, but I think it will help.

Alternative Therapies:

Efficacy of Acupuncture to Improve Symptoms and Functionality for People With Fibromyalgia

Condition: Fibromyalgia

Location: Whittier, California, Southern California University of Health Sciences

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Treating Women With Chronic Widespread Pain

Condition: Fibromyalgia; Chronic Pain; Depression

Developing Biomarkers for Fibromyalgia

Biofeedback and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT):

Cognitive Behavioral Insomnia Therapy for Individuals With Fibromyalgia

Condition: Fibromyalgia; Sleep Initiation and Maintenance Disorders

Location: Durham, North Carolina, Duke University Medical Center

Drug and Talk Therapy for Fibromyalgia

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, Clinical Research Center for Pain

Fatigue:

Evaluation and Diagnosis of People With Pain and Fatigue Syndromes

Condition: Fatigue; Fibromyalgia; Pain

Devices:

A Pilot Study of TMS Effects on Pain and Depression in Patients With Fibromyalgia

Condition: Major Depression; Fibromyalgia

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, Medical University of South Carolina

Cranial Electrical Stimulation Effects on Symptoms in Persons With Fibromyalgia

Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) and Fibromyalgia (FM)

Juvenile Fibromyalgia (FM in children):

Health Status of Early Adolescent Non-Caregivers and Caregivers of a Family Member

Pregabalin In Adolescent Patients With Fibromyalgia

Location: TBD; please contact study sponsor and check back for recruitment updates

Pediatric Fibromyalgia Study

Location: TBD; please contact study sponsor and check back for recruitment updates

Clinical Trial Testing the Safety and Efficacy of Fluoxetine in Juvenile Fibromyalgia

Condition: Juvenile Primary Fibromyalgia Syndrome (JPFS); Fibromyalgia

Coping Skills Training for Adolescents With Fibromyalgia

Location: Louisville, Kentucky, Kosair Charities Pediatric Center

Cincinnati, Ohio, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center

Medications:

A Study for Adult Patients With Fibromyalgia

Condition: Fibromyalgia, Primary; Fibromyalgia, Secondary

Effects of Pregabalin (Lyrica) on Sleep Maintenance in Subjects With Fibromyalgia

Condition: Fibromyalgia; Sleep Disorders

Study of T3 for the Treatment of Fibromyalgia

An Eight Week, Double-Blind Efficacy Study of Armodafinil Augmentation to Alleviate Fibromyalgia Fatigue

Condition: Fibromyalgia, Primary

Location: Syracuse, New York, SUNY Upstate Medical University

Neurotropin to Treat Fibromyalgia

An fMRI Study Of Brain Response In Patients With Fibromyalgia

Quetiapine Compared With Placebo in the Management of Fibromyalgia

Location: Johnson City, Tennessee, ETSU College of Medicine Dept of Psychiatry

Eszopiclone in the Treatment of Insomnia and Fibromyalgia

Condition: Fibromyalgia; Insomnia

Location: Piscataway, New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Dept of Psychiatry

Non-pharmacological Treatments:

Yoga for Fibromyalgia

Location: Portland, Oregon, Oregon Health & Science University

Exercise-Based Motivational Interviewing for Fibromyalgia

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, National Institute of Fitness of Sports, IUPUI Campus

Subgroups of Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS): Symptoms, Beliefs, and Tailored Treatment

Nondrug Treatment Programs for Adults With Fibromyalgia

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, University of Utah, Pain Research and Management Center

Lifestyle Physical Activity to Reduce Pain and Fatigue in Adults With Fibromyalgia

Location: Baltimore, Maryland, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center

Sleep:

Other:

GIFT: Gains in Fibromyalgia Treatment

Location: Metropolitan Phoenix Area, AZ, Arizona State University, AZ Health and Aging Lab

Understanding the Challenges of Cancer Survivors with Pre-existing Disabilities

If you had cancer simultaneously with fibromyalgia or fibromyalgia before your cancer was diagnosed, you might qualify for this study.

Condition: Fibromyalgia; Cancer

Location: Austin, Texas, The University of Texas at Austin School of Nursing

For more information regarding how you can participate in this study, please contact one of the following people: Dr. Heather Becker heatherbecker@mail.utexas.edu 1-800-687-8010

Sook Kang,FNP, Research Assistant sookjunga@mail.utexas.edu

Fibromyalgia syndrome: The relationship between alexithymia and attachment style on couple relationship

This study will evaluate the quality of committed relationship in couples where at least one of the partners is diagnosed with fibromyalgia. We will look into how alexithymia (a condition that affects our ability to recognize and describe emotions) and attachment style (how people behave in intimate relationships) influence couple satisfaction when fibromyalgia symptoms are present in the daily life events. Participants in this study have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and are in a long-term intimate relationship.

Condition: Fibromyalgia; Alexithymia

Outcome Surveys:

Proteomics of Cerebrospinal Fluid in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Condition: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; Fibromyalgia; Gulf War Illness; Multiple Chemical Sensitivity; Interstitial Cystitis; Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Fibromyalgia Health Outcome Study on Cost of Treatments

This list is thanks to: http://www.fmaware.org/site/PageServer?pagename=research_clinicalTrials

Lansing : Research Site:

A study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Xyrem® for the treatment of Fibromyalgia syndrome.

Various Cities : Research Center

Better yet: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Fibromyalgia+Clinical+Trials&ei=utf-8&fr=b1ie7

The Cymbalta Pregnancy Registry is a registry that collects information from voluntary participants who are pregnant and are taking Cymbalta or have taken Cymbalta at any time during pregnancy (i.e., any time from the first day of the last menstrual period through the end of the pregnancy). The Registry is being conducted in the United States as requested by the FDA at the time of the approval of the fibromyalgia indication

• 5 months later...

Since 2004 I have been suffering Chronic pain of the legs, back and neck mostly. I also suffer pain else where but not as severe. My muscles tighten up to the point of being stiff, and my range of movement is similar to a 106 year old man, and I am age 54. I was hospitalized in September 2006 and October 2006 for a weeks stay with what they called a "Massive blood infection". It lead to significant nerve damage in my back and legs. Today the pain is sometimes overbearing. They have given my Morphine and Norcos 10/325 with Neurontin and none of these work well enough to say I am comfortable much less pain free. Nothing seems to control the pain. I am fearful of the Morphine as its not very safe. Yesterday I was told I have Fibromyalgia which I thought was a woman's disease, but I am told that's untrue.

I am considering Medical marijuana in Michigan I have a few questions. I am tired of dealing with pain for the last 6 years and a note I have had arthritis since a child, so pain is no stranger to me.

A couple of questions.

1. Does Fibromyalgia qualify? or the nerve damage? Or the Peripheral Neuropathy I have?

2. Now that I am out of work where can I find a Doctor that can help me with this who accepts Medicaid. I am living day by day now, sometimes I can barely afford toilet paper. And $200 for a Doctor to say yes is extreme.

I also have severe sleep apnea and rarely sleep any more will medical marijuana help with all this?

Since 2004 I have been suffering Chronic pain of the legs, back and neck mostly. I also suffer pain else where but not as severe. My muscles tighten up to the point of being stiff, and my range of movement is similar to a 106 year old man, and I am age 54. I was hospitalized in September 2006 and October 2006 for a weeks stay with what they called a "Massive blood infection". It lead to significant nerve damage in my back and legs. Today the pain is sometimes overbearing. They have given my Morphine and Norcos 10/325 with Neurontin and none of these work well enough to say I am comfortable much less pain free. Nothing seems to control the pain. I am fearful of the Morphine as its not very safe. Yesterday I was told I have Fibromyalgia which I thought was a woman's disease, but I am told that's untrue.

I am considering Medical marijuana in Michigan I have a few questions. I am tired of dealing with pain for the last 6 years and a note I have had arthritis since a child, so pain is no stranger to me.

A couple of questions.

1. Does Fibromyalgia qualify? or the nerve damage? Or the Peripheral Neuropathy I have?

2. Now that I am out of work where can I find a Doctor that can help me with this who accepts Medicaid. I am living day by day now, sometimes I can barely afford toilet paper. And $200 for a Doctor to say yes is extreme.

I also have severe sleep apnea and rarely sleep any more will medical marijuana help with all this?

1. Yes chronic pain qualifies.

2. You can try asking your regular doctor. If not some of the clinics will work with you. It does not hurt to call the ones close by and see what they will do. Some caregivers will also pay for the doctor if you agree to sigh with them as a caregiver.

Thank You

My regular doctor thinks it causes people to loose their metal faculties. We had that conversation already, it is was disappointing. He is well meaning but at age 60 something I think he's not going to learn any new tricks.

I live In Petoskey Michigan and other than those card mills as I call them, Doctors who charge $200 for a card approval, I don't know of any others. I want my card and care givers card before the county imposes some ban as discussed, then I hopefully will be grand fathered.

As far as a caregiver I can't afford anything hardly as being crippled and out of work as a result leaves no income. I have someone who is a caregiver and one who can and agreed to show me how to grow and do what I need to get started. He will even help me get going. He's a good friend.

I just need a cheaper route to a Doctor.

1. Yes chronic pain qualifies.

2. You can try asking your regular doctor. If not some of the clinics will work with you. It does not hurt to call the ones close by and see what they will do. Some caregivers will also pay for the doctor if you agree to sigh with them as a caregiver.

mj will NOT help sleep apnea. sleep apnea is a serious condition, that is either caused by 1) a central nervous system condition (rare), or by obstruction from loss of muscle tone in your upper airway and/or from being overweight (not all overweight people have this, it's just a cause).

assuming you have obstructive sleep apnea, smoking marijuana will not cause your airways to open.

with OSA (obstructive sleep apnea), you basically are suffocating yourself to the point where your body has to "get the F out" of the situation, and you wake up. it is extremely hard on your heart, as you are making it work harder to oxygenate your tissues, when it itself is being deprived of oxygen. this may cause ventricular enlargment/stretching and damage. i can only see mj hurting you with OSA, because you are sleeping harder than without it.

as far as centrals, mj is not a respiratory stimulant and will not help that either, IMO.

this is not an anti-mj post, but a "get yourself checked out" post, as you are causing your body more harm than just being tired throughout the day.

your body NEEDS REM sleep. if you're constantly waking up all night, your not getting to that stage, and it can also cause depression.

i've got a CPAP machine, and while it was a little difficult to get used to, i won't sleep without it now. i've got more energy during the day, and no headaches from being o2 deprived.

this is not a condition to be taken lightly. if you haven't already had your condition addressed, please do so.

hAs far as the sleep apnea please get help. I now have secondary high blood pressure from it. I have never in my life had high blood pressure...always low. It's my fault because I sleep without my cpap, reason...allergies and can't breath through my nose and the mask covers my nose. I pull it off in my sleep and wake up with it in my hand. This is a serious problem.

Dizz

Advice from experience.....Make sure you read everything before joining a clinical trial!! I have some serious life long effects from being a "guinea pig". I did a trial for severe Crohns years ago and it was a HUGE mistake. Not only did it end up damaging some vital organs, the company is not responsible for the treatment of the damage their clinical trial caused. I had the mindset that "not much could be worse", not only did it get worse, but I damaged things that were previously undamaged :( I am not one to air my health on a public forum, but know when some are in extreme pain they do not always think through all possibilities and weigh out the risks before jumping in. Don't get me wrong, I am sure some have been helped by these trials....but there are some that are further damaged for life also!! Just a word of caution from someone who has "been there, done that"!

hAs far as the sleep apnea please get help. I now have secondary high blood pressure from it. I have never in my life had high blood pressure...always low. It's my fault because I sleep without my cpap, reason...allergies and can't breath through my nose and the mask covers my nose. I pull it off in my sleep and wake up with it in my hand. This is a serious problem.

Dizz

isn't that crazy, dizz? i don't do it very often any longer, but every once in a while i will still wake up with it hanging on my headboard in the middle of the night :huh:

lol

the more you use it, the less you do that, though.

as far as masks, there are several options available. there are the masks that cover your nose, as well as nasal pillows. there is a mask that covers your mouth with nasal pillows for your nose. there are masks that cover your nose and mouth, and there is also a full face mask, which as claustrophobic as that may sound, it's actually not. it is a clear full face mask that you can fully see out of, and covers your forehead, cheeks and around your chin.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of questions.

More than one person has told me personally that fibromyalgia is well treated with medical marijuana (not ditch weed- the medical grade stuff, mostly medibles).

So maybe you need to try it and get another p/t job- or do some odd jobs, whatever- when the meds improve your function.

As for the sleep apnea, this is life threatening, probably not treated by medical marijuana, and needs treatment immediately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

At one time I had composed a printout with this information, but I did not get to release it. This is not the same list, but I think it will help.

Alternative Therapies:

Efficacy of Acupuncture to Improve Symptoms and Functionality for People With Fibromyalgia

Location: Whittier, California, Southern California University of Health Sciences

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Treating Women With Chronic Widespread Pain

Condition: Fibromyalgia; Chronic Pain; Depression

Developing Biomarkers for Fibromyalgia

Biofeedback and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT):

Location: Durham, North Carolina, Duke University Medical Center

Fatigue:

Evaluation and Diagnosis of People With Pain and Fatigue Syndromes

Condition: Fatigue; Fibromyalgia; Pain

Devices:

A Pilot Study of TMS Effects on Pain and Depression in Patients With Fibromyalgia

Condition: Major Depression; Fibromyalgia

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, Medical University of South Carolina

Cranial Electrical Stimulation Effects on Symptoms in Persons With Fibromyalgia

Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) and Fibromyalgia (FM)

Juvenile Fibromyalgia (FM in children):

Health Status of Early Adolescent Non-Caregivers and Caregivers of a Family Member

Pregabalin In Adolescent Patients With Fibromyalgia

Pediatric Fibromyalgia Study

Clinical Trial Testing the Safety and Efficacy of Fluoxetine in Juvenile Fibromyalgia

Condition: Juvenile Primary Fibromyalgia Syndrome (JPFS); Fibromyalgia

Coping Skills Training for Adolescents With Fibromyalgia

Location: Louisville, Kentucky, Kosair Charities Pediatric Center

Cincinnati, Ohio, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center

Medications:

A Study for Adult Patients With Fibromyalgia

Condition: Fibromyalgia, Primary; Fibromyalgia, Secondary

Effects of Pregabalin (Lyrica) on Sleep Maintenance in Subjects With Fibromyalgia

Condition: Fibromyalgia; Sleep Disorders

Study of T3 for the Treatment of Fibromyalgia

An Eight Week, Double-Blind Efficacy Study of Armodafinil Augmentation to Alleviate Fibromyalgia Fatigue

Condition: Fibromyalgia, Primary

Location: Syracuse, New York, SUNY Upstate Medical University

Neurotropin to Treat Fibromyalgia

An fMRI Study Of Brain Response In Patients With Fibromyalgia

Quetiapine Compared With Placebo in the Management of Fibromyalgia

Location: Johnson City, Tennessee, ETSU College of Medicine Dept of Psychiatry

Eszopiclone in the Treatment of Insomnia and Fibromyalgia

Condition: Fibromyalgia; Insomnia

Location: Piscataway, New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Dept of Psychiatry

Non-pharmacological Treatments:

Yoga for Fibromyalgia

Location: Portland, Oregon, Oregon Health & Science University

Exercise-Based Motivational Interviewing for Fibromyalgia

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, National Institute of Fitness of Sports, IUPUI Campus

Subgroups of Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS): Symptoms, Beliefs, and Tailored Treatment

Nondrug Treatment Programs for Adults With Fibromyalgia

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, University of Utah, Pain Research and Management Center

Lifestyle Physical Activity to Reduce Pain and Fatigue in Adults With Fibromyalgia

Location: Baltimore, Maryland, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center

Sleep:

Other:

GIFT: Gains in Fibromyalgia Treatment

Location: Metropolitan Phoenix Area, AZ, Arizona State University, AZ Health and Aging Lab

Understanding the Challenges of Cancer Survivors with Pre-existing Disabilities

If you had cancer simultaneously with fibromyalgia or fibromyalgia before your cancer was diagnosed, you might qualify for this study.

Condition: Fibromyalgia; Cancer

Location: Austin, Texas, The University of Texas at Austin School of Nursing

For more information regarding how you can participate in this study, please contact one of the following people: Dr. Heather Becker heatherbecker@mail.utexas.edu 1-800-687-8010

Sook Kang,FNP, Research Assistant sookjunga@mail.utexas.edu

Fibromyalgia syndrome: The relationship between alexithymia and attachment style on couple relationship

This study will evaluate the quality of committed relationship in couples where at least one of the partners is diagnosed with fibromyalgia. We will look into how alexithymia (a condition that affects our ability to recognize and describe emotions) and attachment style (how people behave in intimate relationships) influence couple satisfaction when fibromyalgia symptoms are present in the daily life events. Participants in this study have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and are in a long-term intimate relationship.

Condition: Fibromyalgia; Alexithymia

Outcome Surveys:

Proteomics of Cerebrospinal Fluid in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Condition: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; Fibromyalgia; Gulf War Illness; Multiple Chemical Sensitivity; Interstitial Cystitis; Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Fibromyalgia Health Outcome Study on Cost of Treatments

This list is thanks to: http://www.fmaware.org/site/PageServer?pagename=research_clinicalTrials

Lansing : Research Site:

A study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Xyrem® for the treatment of Fibromyalgia syndrome.

Various Cities : Research Center

Better yet: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Fibromyalgia+Clinical+Trials&ei=utf-8&fr=b1ie7

The Cymbalta Pregnancy Registry is a registry that collects information from voluntary participants who are pregnant and are taking Cymbalta or have taken Cymbalta at any time during pregnancy (i.e., any time from the first day of the last menstrual period through the end of the pregnancy). The Registry is being conducted in the United States as requested by the FDA at the time of the approval of the fibromyalgia indication

thank you very much for posting this info. I find it helps my fibro a lot, much better than the pharmies advertised on tv.

Ugh! Had to get that out.

Look up Herbal Elements in Traverse City. the owner is also involved with a compassion club that is involved with certifications. Email them and explain your situation. Perhaps they can help you on some level. I am not making any sort of guarantee except that the man who is running the show seems decent. Treat him squarly and he will likely do the same for you.

As far as fibro goes I suggest you try Black Cohosh. Besides being suggested to people for premenopausel symptoms it is used for the pain of fibro. Minimal side effects if any.I do not experience any.I use it for neurological pain caused by herniated discs in my neck. at least for me it is very effective. take 500mg 2x a day. The least expensive place to get it is www.swansons.com at 1.99 a bottle. It you search the web Googling "Swansons coupons" you might might a coupon code for discounts or free shipping. Don't go out and buy 25mg pills for 5x as much at a local health food store. It will probably be insufficient.

mj will NOT help sleep apnea. sleep apnea is a serious condition, that is either caused by 1) a central nervous system condition (rare), or by obstruction from loss of muscle tone in your upper airway and/or from being overweight (not all overweight people have this, it's just a cause).

assuming you have obstructive sleep apnea, smoking marijuana will not cause your airways to open.

with OSA (obstructive sleep apnea), you basically are suffocating yourself to the point where your body has to "get the F out" of the situation, and you wake up. it is extremely hard on your heart, as you are making it work harder to oxygenate your tissues, when it itself is being deprived of oxygen. this may cause ventricular enlargment/stretching and damage. i can only see mj hurting you with OSA, because you are sleeping harder than without it.

as far as centrals, mj is not a respiratory stimulant and will not help that either, IMO.

this is not an anti-mj post, but a "get yourself checked out" post, as you are causing your body more harm than just being tired throughout the day.

your body NEEDS REM sleep. if you're constantly waking up all night, your not getting to that stage, and it can also cause depression.

i've got a CPAP machine, and while it was a little difficult to get used to, i won't sleep without it now. i've got more energy during the day, and no headaches from being o2 deprived.

this is not a condition to be taken lightly. if you haven't already had your condition addressed, please do so.

Phil78 is right on !!!!

Do not try to correct sleep apnea with mmj....it can't really work....when your uvula clamps down on the trachea and you start suffocating, your BP shoots way up and all hell breaks out. Many people who allegedly died "peacefully in their sleep" died in the midst of a sleep apnea episode.

Combining a cpap with mmj is a good idea...the mmj may help to quell the claustrophobia associated with the mask, making it quite tolerable.

I have been on a cpap/bipap for 16 years. I am 72 and have the energy to walk 6 miles everyday...Run, do not walk, to your Sleep Clinic, get evaluated and do whatever it takes to use the prescribed CPAP...it is worth it !!!!!!

Dr. jinx

social_exile have you tried Lyrica for the fibro? My daughter had no relief from Neurontin and it caused depression but when they prescribed Lyrica she got a lot of energy and movement back and real good pain relief. Medical marijuana would be beneficial for the fibro too.

If you decide on any clinical trials read the fine print very carefully, I had no insurance and was going to enter an RA study and then read cancer and leukemia could occur and they were not liable if it did.

Archived