Buying Genetics

I want to increase the number of strains I have available. But one weird thing I noticed is that some seed companies like Nirvana sell for much less than other companies. What is up with that? I have heard good things about dealing with Nirvana and just wondered what the collective knowledge here has to say.

Many of the strains from Nirvana are F-2 generation meaning they are duplicates of someone elses work. Theres nothing wrong at all with F2 seeds, there could just be alot of variation from one specimen to the next, meaning the pack of seeds will more than likely not be uniform unless they are f-3 or f-4 inbred. With a pack of 10 seeds for instance, you could get 4 or more phenotypes of plants, instead of all of them being the same.

For the price you cant go wrong, but you might be better off searching for a good local seed vendor for a good S-1 hybrid for a vigorous plant that will outgrow many of these knockoff f-2's without the risk of running into hermaphrodites that have been inbred due to lack of breeder knowledge.

I think I will go with Nirvana then. The price is really right. Is there anything wrong with letting my first crop go to seed so I can start a collection of my own genetics? Or will they be really variable quality at that point?

It's really a waste of space and time as you will get variation and males. Toss the males as soon as they show so you can sprout new genetics in their place. You will get variation so your best way to make your genetic collection is to grow out your crop and keep a clone of the best female for future generations. Keep doing this with different strains and you will have a nice collection of mother plants.

Keep all of the males you get in a 18/6 lights on regimen. You want multiple males so your not bottle necking the alleles. When you harvest, just take the main colas, leaving the bottom small immature buds. Introduce the males 5-7 days prior to this. Let those bottom buds totally ripen too the point of dying before removing seed. You want the seeds too fully darken/ripen. This way you can have both seed and seedless bud.

Or do as the master says if you want seeds for the future! Like IJ says, you can selectively pollinate female's. You can get hundreds of seeds on a single branch if you pollinate carefully.

I think I will go with Nirvana then. The price is really right. Is there anything wrong with letting my first crop go to seed so I can start a collection of my own genetics? Or will they be really variable quality at that point?

or you could just buy more seeds and not give up the room or risk cross breeding something unwanted..zb

Or do as the master says if you want seeds for the future! Like IJ says, you can selectively pollinate female's. You can get hundreds of seeds on a single branch if you pollinate carefully.

:thumbsu: Yep!! A little careful pollinating can go a long way,,

Just to reconfirm your decision, my friend ordered some feminized beans form nirvana a few months ago. The package arrived 7 days after payment was confirmed. They all sprouted, and a little while later, they were all sticky, beautiful ladies. Each plant was somewhat different, but they all looked great. He just took a clone off his favorite and went from there.

My friend also had a terrible experience with marijuana-seeds.nl. Nothing arrived, and their customer support was non-existent.

Keep all of the males you get in a 18/6 lights on regimen. You want multiple males so your not bottle necking the alleles. When you harvest, just take the main colas, leaving the bottom small immature buds. Introduce the males 5-7 days prior to this. Let those bottom buds totally ripen too the point of dying before removing seed. You want the seeds too fully darken/ripen. This way you can have both seed and seedless bud.

Sounds like the best of both worlds. Thanks. The box my grow lights were in was packed with newspaper dated Sept. 1990 so it has been a while. Everything and nothing has changed. :rolleyes:

Just to reconfirm your decision, my friend ordered some feminized beans form nirvana a few months ago. The package arrived 7 days after payment was confirmed. They all sprouted, and a little while later, they were all sticky, beautiful ladies. Each plant was somewhat different, but they all looked great. He just took a clone off his favorite and went from there.

My friend also had a terrible experience with marijuana-seeds.nl. Nothing arrived, and their customer support was non-existent.

I just recently had an "experience" with marijuana-seeds.nl. The White Widow I got from them was CRAP. It wouldn't grow. I managed to save one plant that is now 8 weeks old and barely 12" tall. I next sprouted their Strawberry Cough. Out of 10 seeds, 5 survived. I sprouted some bag seed 1 week after the SC and they are already overtaking the SC. The SC are odd looking plants.

Anyway, I contacted marijuana-seeds.nl about the WW and sent pictures at their request. It takes forever for them to respond, but I got an email stating that replacement WW seeds were "in the mail". We shall see if they arrive...

I just recently had an "experience" with marijuana-seeds.nl. The White Widow I got from them was CRAP. It wouldn't grow. I managed to save one plant that is now 8 weeks old and barely 12" tall. I next sprouted their Strawberry Cough. Out of 10 seeds, 5 survived. I sprouted some bag seed 1 week after the SC and they are already overtaking the SC. The SC are odd looking plants.

Anyway, I contacted marijuana-seeds.nl about the WW and sent pictures at their request. It takes forever for them to respond, but I got an email stating that replacement WW seeds were "in the mail". We shall see if they arrive...

UPDATE: The seeds arrived in stealth pack (CD case) 10 days after notification. They look better than previous ones that failed. Now I have to wait for 2 mos before I test them. Will post results.

Strawberry Cough sprouts are coming along fine - 4 strong, 1 weak. HOPE I GET A FEMALE!

Archived