Physician Arrested In Undercover Medical Marijuana Sting

AKenewell

Denver News

Aurora Doctor Arrested In Medical Marijuana Sting

Police: Doctor Wrote Prescriptions For 2 Undercover Officers

AURORA, Colo. -- An Aurora doctor has been arrested in a five-month case involving illegal marijuana distribution.

Aurora police said Manuel Aquino-Villaman, 69, was writing “medical marijuana” recommendations to persons who were not ill.

“This is an unfortunate case of a doctor deliberately using the façade of ‘medical marijuana’ to help distribute large amounts of marijuana illegally,” said Police Chief Daniel J. Oates

Aurora narcotics officers said they began an investigation after encountering disproportionate numbers of 'patients' in possession of with medical marijuana recommendations from the doctor.

Aquino-Villaman was arrested Thursday at his office at 3033 S. Parker Road in Aurora. His arrest came after police said he signed a medical marijuana physician's certificate for two undercover officers, clearing the way for each to legally purchase medical marijuana.

According to police, Aquino-Villaman signed a certification stating that each undercover officer was complaining of severe pain and was eligible to legally obtain medical marijuana.

The doctor spent a few minutes with the officers and charged them $125 each for the consultation and the medical marijuana recommendation.

Aquino-Villaman is currently free on bond.

http://www.thedenver...196/detail.html

Physician arrested in undercover medical marijuana sting

written by: Jeffrey Wolf Kyle Clark

AURORA - 9Wants to Know has learned a doctor has been arrested on suspicion of felony charges tied to illegal marijuana distribution following a five-month-long investigation by Aurora Police.

Dr. Manuel Aquino-Villaman was arrested at his practice, Canna Health, on Thursday. The 69-year-old physician is expected to face charges of conspiracy to distribute marijuana and attempting to influence a public servant, both felonies.

Aurora Police say officers became suspicious when they encountered a disproportionate number of medical marijuana patients with paperwork authorized by Aquino-Villaman.

A five-month investigation into the doctor's practices included a sting where two undercover police officers obtained signed doctor's certificates allowing them to buy marijuana.

"This was essentially a facade," Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said. "Four minutes in the doctor's office and our suspicions were validated."

Police say Aquino-Villaman spent little time with each undercover officer, did not physically examine either and did not request medical documentation before issuing medical marijuana physician's certificates. The cost for each consultation was $125.

Each officer described a real-life accident he'd experienced, Oates said, but neither claimed the symptoms claimed by the doctor.

Canna Health's website says the clinic, in the 3000 block of South Parker Road, offers a "stress-free environment" where patients receive "convenient, reliable medical advice and evaluations at an affordable cost."

A clinic employee called the arrest "harassment" on Friday, but said Canna Health would decline to discuss the incident due to lack of information. The employee indicated Aquino-Villaman was not in the office Friday.

Aquino-Villaman was held at the Aurora Detention Center before being released on $6,000 bond.

Oates said the evidence in the case was too obvious to ignore, even knowing that medical marijuana is such a hot-button issue.

"This is not some crusade against medical marijuana. This is reasonable steps by a police department to investigate essentially an obvious fraud," Oates said. "This kind of hit us over the head. We felt compelled to do something about this once it was brought to our attention."

Aquino-Villaman has not been subject to any public punitive actions against his medical license since it was issued in 2007, according to the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies' website. Aquino-Villaman received his medical training at the University of Barcelona in Spain, said a department spokesman.

Aquino-Villaman is also registered to practice medicine in Michigan. The Michigan Department of Community Health's website does not indicate any disciplinary action or open formal complaints against Aquino-Villaman.

The doctor is not accused of directly providing marijuana to patients, simply allowing them access to dispensaries.

On Friday, a reporter observed two stacks of business cards on Canna Health's front desk: one belonging to Canna Health and the other to a dispensary called Green Cross Caregivers.

At Green Cross, also on South Parker Road, the lobby desk featured two stacks of business cards: one for Green Cross, the other for Canna Health.

Green Cross owner Aram Matinyan said there was no arrangement for Aquino-Villaman to funnel healthy patients to Green Cross to buy marijuana.

"There's no conspiracy," Matinyan said. "I have no idea whether or not we've been investigated but there is nothing to hide."

Matinyan said he believed Aquino-Villaman is the subject of harassment for his involvement with medical marijuana.

(KUSA-TV © 2010 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Michael Komorn

Attorney and Counselor

Off: 248-357-2550

Mbl: 248-321-5393

Email: Michael@komornlaw.com

Check out my Radio show

Live Every Wednesday 8-9:00 p.m.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/realtalkfm

Click GreenTrees Radio

Call in Number 347-205-9718

Police say Aquino-Villaman spent little time with each undercover officer, did not physically examine either and did not request medical documentation before issuing medical marijuana physician's certificates. The cost for each consultation was $125.

"This is not some crusade against medical marijuana. This is reasonable steps by a police department to investigate essentially an obvious fraud," Oates said. "This kind of hit us over the head. We felt compelled to do something about this once it was brought to our attention."

I Believe this. There were bound to be abuses of the system. No examination? No medical documentation. Sorry folks, that is bad medicine. The sooner we distance ourselves from people that are abusing the system, and having no integrity within their own practice, the more credibility we can retain. Like the cops said, they HAD TO do something about it, once it became known. And, given the information i see here, i am glad they did.

At the very least an examination should include a heart/lung and blood pressure check. It is a pretty dumb doctor who does not perform these minimal checks and that is all one would have to do to stay out of trouble. I want to be very sure my doctor is smart enough that if called to testify in court he could articulate a winning argument.

"when they encountered a disproportionate number of medical marijuana patients with paperwork authorized by Aquino-Villaman."

Nice post counselor. A question for you:

How can they track providers who authorize medical marijuana patients?

There are strict privacy protections for Community Health in Michigan (which manages the MMM) so:

1. Are there similar protections in Colorado?

2. Can they track providers in Michigan in the same way?

BTW: Your dad(?) is my doctor and I think he has a "disproportionate" number of MM patients!

However:

"Police say Aquino-Villaman spent little time with each undercover officer, did not physically examine either and did not request medical documentation before issuing medical marijuana physician's certificates."

I did not get a physical exam but provided extensive medical documentation and he sure spent a lot longer with me than any other doctor I have ever had!

Bottom line here I think is this is NOT a case about medical marijuana but about following legitimate medical practices which Aquino-Villaman did not and Dr. Komorn does.

Very interested in thoughts on this issue.

I Believe this. There were bound to be abuses of the system. No examination? No medical documentation. Sorry folks, that is bad medicine. The sooner we distance ourselves from people that are abusing the system, and having no integrity within their own practice, the more credibility we can retain. Like the cops said, they HAD TO do something about it, once it became known. And, given the information i see here, i am glad they did.

Anytime theres a way to make a quick buck we will have people abusing the system this definitly seem s to be one of the instances. :thumbsd:

Recently met a new patient went to a clinic in Mi. No paper work, unless you count the 250, was signed up, with a caregiver if needed, meds before he left at 20 per gram. All in side of 30 minutes. They may need to put in a drive thru. He did said they were busy. good luck to them. yes I have the name and number pmail for that

Altho Dr. May (no longer can practice) did not require past documentation, I gave him a copy of my MRI report and a copy of my pain pill script. He did do a short exam but was not a place I would go to again.... Next time I am going to go with a credible dr. So anybody want to be my recommendation dr, as in 4 months I will no longer have a primary dr. They are weening me then dropping me, they are working with me, but for only 3 months, then 1 month ween.... I do not recommend that anybody go to a "1 stop shop" or a Dr. that does not require you to have ANY documentation on the qualifying condition. I would say that my MRI report would be enough, but something like nausea should be documented at least 2-3 months of 2-3 visits....

:goodjob::goodjob:

No, Good Job to you and your husband. I have actually never herd of a Dr. that helped a patient and not just the "status quo" (sp?). I tip my hat to you and hope that you are at least close to my area, altho I did drive to Howell last year, but I would like to have your husband be the signing Dr. on my renewal. Card Expires 3/1/11 . The only Dr. in my area knows no compassion.... and the only one that kinda did does not work there anymore. Again, (and even tho you dont know me or I you, and you have not helped me) Thank You both VERY much for what you do!

EDIT: I see your in Troy, still stands, I would still love to go to your clinic for my renewal.

Archived