A Cheaper Alternative To Mylar

LITLJON

I wish I had read this an hour ago when I placed an order and included 50 foot of mylar. It was not that expensive I guess. :D

What is the best way to hang the mylar? Duct tape?

I use push pins.

Been thinking about pulling mine down and just painting the room white though. I like the clean appearance, plus I think the mylar adds to the heat.

My new space is larger with taller cielings and I would need quite a few rolls of that to cover my area since I like to grow my tall sativas and I also have a better time keeping my temp down without the insulation, it keeps too much heat in for me personally. But just like everything in growing everyone has their own way :goodjob:

is there anything I can use to put under the plants to reflect light upward to the lower section of the plant? tops get plenty of light, bottoms are a bit shaded by bushy plant growth... thx

There are so many alternatives to Mylar... I started out using thermal blankets to cover my walls on my make shift grown tent- worked wonderfully! I have also used windshield covers, silver christmas gift wrap (lol) white shower curtain liners from the dollar store, and my favorite, white plastic table covers, also from the dollar store... All have worked like a charm.. :thumbsu:

Smurfette I still use a cut-out of mylar to put in the bottom of some of my flowering girls, same size as the inside of the pot, with a hole in the middle, and slit to fit around the stem...Doesn't get them all, but does seem to help a little on the buds that I don't take off... Hope this helps!!

Reflectix is not that expensive i paid $40 for the roll pictured in my post 48 x 25 ft and that covered my 5x5x8 grow box perfectly and its way more durable than mylar. :thumbsu:

I bought panda wrap 10ft x 50 ft witrh shipping 60.00....http://www.nehydro.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=534&zenid=uq6k84g2ks890q1m1pn5f53963

Has anyone thought of using emergency space blankets for your walls. One blanket measures 52"x84". I've seen boxes of ten for $15.00 and that works out to around 300sq. ft. at $0.05 per sq. Just a thought.

Not a bad idea for the closet grower using florescent lights. The E blankets unwrapped are covered with square folds helping to eliminate hot spots. Heat can be an issue to watch out for . a fan helps cool and move the reflectivity around. I've seen the emergency blankets on sale for $ 9.?? I think Ebay I'd use the real metal duct tape to hang it.

Semigloss or white paint reflects the light most evenly. For those using mylar I like to tape around the edges then use push pins. It reinforces the mylar and keeps air from getting behind the mylar. Mylar can be noisy if you have good air movement. NOBODY should want a noisy growing space.

My new space is larger with taller cielings and I would need quite a few rolls of that to cover my area since I like to grow my tall sativas and I also have a better time keeping my temp down without the insulation, it keeps too much heat in for me personally. But just like everything in growing everyone has their own way :goodjob:

http://www.nehydro.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=534&zenid=uq6k84g2ks890q1m1pn5f53963 this is what i am useing fairly good price., 10ft wide 50 ft long 60.00 to your door.

Has anyone thought of using emergency space blankets for your walls. One blanket measures 52"x84". I've seen boxes of ten for $15.00 and that works out to around 300sq. ft. at $0.05 per sq. Just a thought.

They worked great for me until I was able to upgrade my light & room.

I still use it in the the clone & seedling cab. Cost was 2.87 to do the whole thing. (2 Blankets) Glue it to cardboad & use the panels as needed.

Archived