Against The Law To Provide Free Meds

EdwardGlen

I read today that you could actually go to jail for one year if you provide meds for free, no compensation.

First off..WTF!

Is this true? can someone please clarify this for me!?

My CG has two patients he provides free meds to and my my CG and I help others when we can for free.

I read today that you could actually go to jail for one year if you provide meds for free, no compensation.

First off..WTF!

My CG has two patients he provides free meds to and my my CG and I help others when we can for free.

The penalty for giving away marijuana does not apply to medical marijuana only to marijuana given away in violation of the state drug laws. There is a lighter sentence for giving it away than there is for selling it. Medical marijuana patients and caregivers are not affected by this law, only recreational users.

The penalty for giving away marijuana does not apply to medical marijuana only to marijuana given away in violation of the state drug laws. There is a lighter sentence for giving it away than there is for selling it. Medical marijuana patients and caregivers are not affected by this law, only recreational users.

This is terrible misinformation - transferring marijuana still follows the same rules as if you sold it.

Only transfer or deliver to qualified patients. Only transfer to a patient if you are a CG and that patient is connected to you by the MDCH registry.

read the law folks.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-Initiated-Law-1-of-2008

-DN

This is terrible misinformation - transferring marijuana still follows the same rules as if you sold it.

Only transfer or deliver to qualified patients. Only transfer to a patient if you are a CG and that patient is connected to you by the MDCH registry.

read the law folks.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-Initiated-Law-1-of-2008

-DN

Being nice, I'll say you are in error.

I'll even make it nicer and say "I believe you are in error."

I don't have the time to take it up right now.

And even thought you are in technical error, it is prudent to tell people that it is an expensive thing to be right, sometimes.

To take advantage of the legality sometimes requires a lot of money for lawyers. And a lot of fight. With no guarantee the courts will obey the direct order of the voters of Michigan.

This is terrible misinformation - transferring marijuana still follows the same rules as if you sold it.Only transfer or deliver to qualified patients. Only transfer to a patient if you are a CG and that patient is connected to you by the MDCH registry.read the law folks. http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-Initiated-Law-1-of-2008-DN

As I said "only to marijuana given away in violation of the state drug laws."

Patient and caregiver exchanges are not in violation of state drug laws.

(Except in the minds of some judges and law officers.)It is not illegal for a person in a legal relationship to give away marijuana for free.

I believe that there were some who thought that they needed to charge in order to comply with the law.

Being nice, I'll say you are in error.

I'll even make it nicer and say "I believe you are in error."

I don't have the time to take it up right now.

And even thought you are in technical error, it is prudent to tell people that it is an expensive thing to be right, sometimes.

To take advantage of the legality sometimes requires a lot of money for lawyers. And a lot of fight. With no guarantee the courts will obey the direct order of the voters of Michigan.

Well - when you get the time - just point out where in the MMMAct it says that there will be no penalties for 'giving away' medical marijuana.

You are right - it is PRUDENT TO TELL PEOPLE IT IS EXPENSIVE TO BE WRONG!

You cannot transfer medical marijuana contrary to the MMMAct and CSA. Free or not.

-DN

Well - when you get the time - just point out where in the MMMAct it says that there will be no penalties for 'giving away' medical marijuana.

Rule 333.127 Management of medical marihuana.

Rule 27. (1) A qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a

registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or

penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not

limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational

or professional licensing board or bureau, for the medical use of marihuana

in accordance with the act, if the qualifying patient possesses an amount of

marihuana that does not exceed the following:

(a) Two and one-half (2.5) ounces of usable marihuana.

(2) A primary caregiver who has been issued and possesses a registry

identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty

in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to

civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or

professional licensing board or bureau, for assisting a qualifying patient to

whom he or she is connected through the department's registration process

with the medical use of marihuana in accordance with the act, if the primary

caregiver possesses an amount of marihuana that does not exceed the following:

(a) Two and one-half (2.5) ounces of usable marihuana for each registered

qualifying patient to whom he or she is connected through the department's

registration process.

First off..WTF!

Whoever told you this is full of crap . They are smokin more than marijuana.

Wow this is confusing. I don't understand this thread.

What I do understand is that in Michigan, if you "distribute (marihuana) without remuneration" you are charged with possession rather than distribution.

It kinda makes sense to me that if you are a caregiver or looking to become one, and you give away free samples, if the givee happens to be LEO, then maybe they won't waste their resources going after you.

I think that's what herbgreen is sayin' I'd listen to him; he seems to approach things with a clear head.

isnt the medicine free anyhow? it is a fee that is paid for the services right? or is the scope of the topic too narrow for that opinion? (not from an arrogance point of view, but rather a broad scope may argue that as a legitimate point.)

The law says the caregiver can be compensated for "costs" associated with assisting a patient with medical use of marijuana. Who defines "costs?" If I'm a lawyer and I choose to grow weed rather than do lawyer stuff at $150/hour, then the "cost" associated with me growing is $150/hour.....pretty steep, sure....but the point is that "cost" can be defined in many ways.

(e) "Medical use" means the acquisition, possession, cultivation, manufacture, use, internal possession, delivery, transfer, or transportation of marihuana or paraphernalia relating to the administration of marihuana to treat or alleviate a registered qualifying patient's debilitating medical condition or symptoms associated with the debilitating medical condition.

I think I understand now what they mean when they say the law provides for Patient to Patient transfer. "Medical Use" is defined in this section. It means the acquisition, possession, blah, blah.. transfer

... to treat or alleviate...

Apparently this means that it is OK to transfer MJ to a qualifying patient?

Archived