Wtf: Privacy? Where Are The Defenders?

lawyercaregiver

Picked up a recent PP presentation on the MMM in another thread given to AG's in Michigan and noticed this line:

Verifications are now available through LEIN.

LEIN is the system used by the cops when they run a check on somebody for criminal history. I believe this means medical marijuana patients are now known to LEO. Your local cop KNOWS your business friends. He knows if you are a patient. He knows if you are a caregiver.

Am I missing something here?

Picked up a recent PP presentation on the MMM in another thread given to AG's in Michigan and noticed this line:

LEIN is the system used by the cops when they run a check on somebody for criminal history. I believe this means medical marijuana patients are now known to LEO. Your local cop KNOWS your business friends. He knows if you are a patient. He knows if you are a caregiver.

Kind of makes all these arguments about the 'ordinances' the cities are passing seem a waste of time.

LEO may already KNOW everything they WANT to know.

this is so wrong and illegal for leo to do this.this is supposed to be confidential info.sounds like time to do something about this. law suit? what can be done? this is not good. thanks for post. peace

I think you are confusing the fact that they use the system to run background checks on caregivers and this we already know. And yes by that association they may know who is becoming caregivers but I do not think patients,yet. But who knows usually when they want the info they get it, unfortunatly

I think you are confusing the fact that they use the system to run background checks on caregivers and this we already know. And yes by that association they may know who is becoming caregivers but I do not think patients,yet. But who knows usually when they want the info they get it, unfortunatly

No confusion. It was discussed in these forums last year. LEO can use their computers(LEIN) to confirm cards, they do not have to call MDCH.

The big question is can they browse or use a name search. The presentation said they can confirm the numbers on the cards through LEIN.

No confusion. It was discussed in these forums last year. LEO can use their computers(LEIN) to confirm cards, they do not have to call MDCH.

The big question is can they browse or use a name search. The presentation said they can confirm the numbers on the cards through LEIN.

If its somehow only used for conformation purposes I dont see a problem

I thought this LEIN system would be ok IF they ONLY use it to verify that we ARE LEGAL. Where is the boundary between verification and invasion of privacy? Perhaps I'm missing something, too. How are we supposed to be able to prove we are legal if we have the paperwork but no card, and even with a card they could say they need to check to see if it's not somehow a fake? (Which brings up a whole other thought about THEM faking paperwork and maybe even cards.) Haha, if this system could clearly identify who's approved and who's denied, it'd be harder for leo to make their own, true? Especially about the paperwork, because the checks are cashed even if someone's denied. To me, it'd be a simple matter of having a mark or just inputting into the system which ones are approved and which ones are denied and print that on the paperwork. When they send a denial letter, it'd surely be there? I don't know. They make it more complicated than it needs to be. If I'm missing something, please inform me. I came here to get informed before deciding to apply. I was thinking about something else that's related to all this also.

Sb

I thought this LEIN system would be ok IF they ONLY use it to verify that we ARE LEGAL. Where is the boundary between verification and invasion of privacy? Perhaps I'm missing something, too. How are we supposed to be able to prove we are legal if we have the paperwork but no card, and even with a card they could say they need to check to see if it's not somehow a fake? (Which brings up a whole other thought about THEM faking paperwork and maybe even cards.) Haha, if this system could clearly identify who's approved and who's denied, it'd be harder for leo to make their own, true? Especially about the paperwork, because the checks are cashed even if someone's denied. To me, it'd be a simple matter of having a mark or just inputting into the system which ones are approved and which ones are denied and print that on the paperwork. When they send a denial letter, it'd surely be there? I don't know. They make it more complicated than it needs to be. If I'm missing something, please inform me. I came here to get informed before deciding to apply. I was thinking about something else that's related to all this also.

Sb

+ rep for saying it better than I could

I don't believe the information is available through the LEIN system. I would like to see the proof to that.

h) The following confidentiality rules shall apply:

(1) Applications and supporting information submitted by qualifying patients, including information regarding their primary caregivers and physicians, are confidential.

(2) The department shall maintain a confidential list of the persons to whom the department has issued registry identification cards. Individual names and other identifying information on the list is confidential and is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.

(3) The department shall verify to law enforcement personnel whether a registry identification card is valid, without disclosing more information than is reasonably necessary to verify the authenticity of the registry identification card.

(4) A person, including an employee or official of the department or another state agency or local unit of government, who discloses confidential information in violation of this act is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or a fine of not more than $1, 000.00, or both. Notwithstanding this provision, department employees may notify law enforcement about falsified or fraudulent information submitted to the department.

(i) The department shall submit to the legislature an annual report that does not disclose any identifying information about qualifying patients, primary caregivers, or physicians, but does contain, at a minimum, all of the following information:

It seems to me it is clear that the information is only released to confirm the authenticity of the card. That would mean having the card number first before looking up a name. If LEO had that information wouldn't there be a lot more bust than there are?

i thought i read somewhere, and im hunting for it, that the verification system that is in place is just a yes/no (valid/invalid) lookup using either the patient ID number, or DL/state id #, similiar to the caregiver application where your DL/state id # is used if you dont have plastic yet.

if im mistaken, lemme know and ill remove this post :):thumbsu:

that being said, leo already has your name when they run the number, and im sure there is a dispatcher populating that special 420 database with that info combo as the verifications come back as yes or no

Archived