Bugs Vs Bugs

stellawasadiver

Hot shot pest strips are a permanent fixture in my garden area.

And before anybody chimes in about the so called dangers of having these in your living space let me just attest to the fact that i have full blood cultures every 90 days and have used the strips for 15 months and so far no abnormal results due to exposure to the HS strips.

And before anybody chimes in about the so called dangers of having these in your living space let me just attest to the fact that i have full blood cultures every 90 days and have used the strips for 15 months and so far no abnormal results due to exposure to the HS strips.

Kingdiamond, does your blood work involve these sorts of blood tests?

Is there a medical test to show whether I've been exposed to dichlorvos?

There is a general test that can be used to determine if you have been exposed to a group of insecticides, including dichlorvos. This test measures the activity of an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase in the blood. However, it does not specifically show exposure to dichlorvos.

(from http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts88.html)

I agree HOT SHOTS NO PEST STRIPS work great. That being said. Why take the risk after the bugs are gone?

for the first time ever i feel educated enough to make a statement on these no-pest strips.

i found mites in the little room (flower room) a couple weeks ago. i spray my plants in veg as a preventative every 3-5 days with a 70% neem oil product and then spray them with clean water within a few mins after.

my big rooms are sealed..... but the little room isnt. its the one that i use for the journals and help thread and stuff. its a make-shift grow room and i found spider mites in there. it happens. are they getting immune to the neem??? dont know. dont care. i had a small mite problem and needed it fixed before it became a big mite problem.

i couldnt go all out and do a "real bomb"..... my plants are too far away to let the problem escalate until harvest and i really have nowhere to move them for a few days if i were to throw a "real" bomb in there.

so i decided to give these no-pest things a shot for once. been hearing about them for YEARS..... all the goods and bads.... i have just never had a reason to use them ...........

-------------------------------------------

first off, the package states clearly more than twice that this stuff is harmful and it should be used in applications where there will be no humans for four months after opening the product.

well, the warnings arent there for nothing :) but i also know that 20 years ago we all thought we would catch cancer from eating canned food/soup.

anyways, to make this long story short........ no-pest strips are now a staple in my stables.

i opened the package, placed the strip in the room. 3 days later i couldnt find a mite for the life of me.......... it became a game to me...... a CSI type thing.

no fuggin way could i have ZERO mites after just opening a package and placing a plastic thing-a-ma-jiggy in my room for three days. i am used to a long tedious process.

i busted out the 100x scope and went through the entire room. floor, walls, plants, totes, hydroton, ceiling, nooks, crannys..........

nothing........ not a single mite.

so i wrapped the strip back up in a ziplock bag..... i mean those warnings arent for nothing right? :)

after 5 days i let it out of its bag for 24 hours..... back into the ziplock it went for 5 days...... then back into the room for 24 hours..................

SO MUCH EASIER THAN SPRAYING TWICE EVERY 3-5 DAYS!!

yup, no-pest strips (in moderation for now) are for me!!

now if kingdiamond dies on us, im done with them though :)

just kidding KD..... thank you for your input on these. without that i would have never even considered this product...... even after all these years.

bottom line......

no-pest strips have been argued about for YEARS on grow forums....... there is a reason for this......

THEY WORK!!

have you tried not spraying with water right after spraying with neem? spraying water will wash it off. try to let it dry first and then spray water , perhaps the next day. just a thought!

lol.... the neem process i have has worked for 15 years.

on the contrary, your statement cant happen successfully.

neem clogs the plant pores. if not treated, your plants simply sometimes cannot transpire correctly and will die.

your best bet is to let the neem dry on the plants and then spray them again to rinse off some of the oil.

by the time the neem dries, the damage is done to the bugs and if you do not have bugs, there if enough residual there as a preventative.

what's easier than no pest strips? spraying floramite, avid, forbid one time and they're gone until they're physically brought back in to the room through whatever vessel they travel on. one thing i notice with no pest strips is that growers who use them have to use them over and over. does that really cure the problem? just like neem oil, only temporary fix, eventually mites prevail again.

save the health debate for another thread, lets keep this about effectiveness.

Guest Marywanna

My hobby is outdoor gardening,flowers and such. I have found the best way to keep bugs like aphids away is to have a couple hard working praying mantis. And I know for a fact they will even eat Japanese Beetles. Plus they are cool looking...........

what's easier than no pest strips? spraying floramite, avid, forbid one time and they're gone until they're physically brought back in to the room through whatever vessel they travel on. one thing i notice with no pest strips is that growers who use them have to use them over and over. does that really cure the problem? just like neem oil, only temporary fix, eventually mites prevail again.

save the health debate for another thread, lets keep this about effectiveness.

I only had to use them 1x 6 months ago and have not had the need since.

Kingdiamond, does your blood work involve these sorts of blood tests?

Full blood cultures enzymes t - count any abnormality that can be found they look will for I'm a thyroid cancer survivor if there was anything out of the ordinary such as a toxicity issue my primary said the blood cultures they take will find the cause last spring when i was using Methyl Ethyl Ketone to clean some car parts they found that so I'm sure they would find the insecticide so far so good no issues did this answer your question? :thumbsu:

Archived