Carbon Filter Plugged!

motownbass

:goodjob: About last January we had a flood from a broken pipe in our home, and water of course destroyed the ceiling in my basement. When the construction workers drywalled, sealed, and sand paper the ceilng smooth, all that dust got sucked through my can filter, and it eventually would not pass any air! So I just tried to mount it the opposite way and have it blow out instead. As i anticipated the air to blow dust everytwhere, after I mounted it, it did absolutly nothing and the fan motor started to smoke from excertion. I shut it down imediately.

I know I have to replace the "Original can filter" but I wonder why it did that? Mmmm. :rolleyes:

Well I figured this out and it works! I was sitting in the back porch burnin' a fatty, when boiiinnngg! it hit me. I actually did take the filter apart like a few told me, and found that it did come apart easily. So then I cut off the straps holding the outside hepa (white) filter, (after doing some research this hepa filter is only for dust, not smell) and figured that I will try and put it up again and use it without that outside filter. It works perfectly now, and no restriction flow because of that outside hepa filter was clogged, not the charcoal! As we all know there is minimal dust in a finished basement that is swept and cleaned constantly. Plus there is natural blowing dust and bunny muffin in the outside where they grow naturally anyway. The real deal was the smell, hell I love the smell, but my wife does not. And I have to live with her because I love her and respect her beliefs too. Believe it or not, just the slight smell makes her nauseated. I guess this happened after her second pregancy. Oh well, more for me! :goodjob:

high tech garden supply in taylor i bouight my tall boy filter for $106 out the door as for the plugged up filter ?

Drywall dust can turn to morter in moist conditions so i think thats how the filter probably became plugged.

THIS...

I have a tutorial on how to build carbon scrubbers here.. if you buy a 5gal bucket of carbon, you've got odor control for a LONG time...

All the dry wall probably got clogged up in the carbon, not the filter itsself. Fine dust and powder sticks to carbon very easily! That's what it's for! The carbon inside that thing, which is what makes it so heavy, is engineered to capture tiny scent molecules and dust which causes the odor. Needless to say, it got clogged...

But you don't have to replace the entire unit!!

You should be able to get a replacement filter that wraps around the outside of the unit. You can also get replacement carbon scrubber pebbles which you simply pour into the wall of the unit.

Learning how to replenish your filter is A LOT cheaper than replacing the whole unit.

All the dry wall probably got clogged up in the carbon, not the filter itsself. Fine dust and powder sticks to carbon very easily! That's what it's for! The carbon inside that thing, which is what makes it so heavy, is engineered to capture tiny scent molecules and dust which causes the odor. Needless to say, it got clogged...

You should be able to get a replacement filter that wraps around the outside of the unit. You can also get replacement carbon scrubber pebbles which you simply pour into the wall of the unit.

Learning how to replenish your filter is A LOT cheaper than replacing the whole unit.

Can you do this with the CanFan fan/filter combo's as well? Good info to know, thanks THC! :thumbsu:

:blink:

Can you do this with the CanFan fan/filter combo's as well? Good info to know, thanks THC! :thumbsu:

I really do not believe that in my case this would work, plus I never heard about replenishing your can filter. Once it's plugged, it's plugged! The charcoal has tiny micro passage ways that filter out the scent and dust. There was so much dust in my basement during the grow, that I can understand how it plugged it now. Much easier for an old man like me (lol) to buy one.... :hot:

Could you pass this info, because I am guessing that you have to take the can apart (somehow) maybe with a blow torch LOL! Too bad there are'nt local people out there that would do this for a fair price, another way to beat the economy, Mmmmmmmm!

It doesn't just come apart with screws? :blink:

You mean to tell me you bought a non-disassemblable Carbon scrubber?

Sorry about your luck brotha, but normally they have screws or small bolts on one end of the unit. You simply remove them, pour the old carbon out, pour new carbon in, then replace the outer filter around the whole thing. I don't recall ever seeing one, even the big ones bought in horticultural stores, that wasn't able to be disassembled and replenished.

Please visit - http://homeharvest.com/airpurificationcharcoalfilter.htm

It doesn't just come apart with screws? :blink:

You mean to tell me you bought a non-disassemblable Carbon scrubber?

Sorry about your luck brotha, but normally they have screws or small bolts on one end of the unit. You simply remove them, pour the old carbon out, pour new carbon in, then replace the outer filter around the whole thing. I don't recall ever seeing one, even the big ones bought in horticultural stores, that wasn't able to be disassembled and replenished.

Please visit - http://homeharvest.com/airpurificationcharcoalfilter.htm

Yes it did come apart like you said! read my blog again ok? I re-edited it.

Great post! I have the same type of filter. I'm now going to check out that white hepa filter and probably clean it up a bit with a leaf blower or something. I've had my filter for 2 years now, best purchase ever. still no smell at all. I do have a small grow room, but that thing is my savior. Probably time to get a new filter here soon.

Archived