Call Nancy Pelosi !

House Democrats have scheduled a horrible drug war bill for a vote tomorrow (Wednesday). The Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act of 2010 (H.R. 5231), written by Rep. Lamar Smith (a Republican drug war extremist), would expand problematic drug conspiracy laws, apply mandatory minimum drug sentences to more people, increase racial disparities, and subject Americans to incarceration for drug offenses and public health interventions that are legal in the foreign country in which they’re committed. It expands the drug war at a time that most Americans want major drug policy reform.

More here. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=455325197592

House Democrats have scheduled a horrible drug war bill for a vote tomorrow (Wednesday). The Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act of 2010 (H.R. 5231), written by Rep. Lamar Smith (a Republican drug war extremist), would expand problematic drug conspiracy laws, apply mandatory minimum drug sentences to more people, increase racial disparities, and subject Americans to incarceration for drug offenses and public health interventions that are legal in the foreign country in which they’re committed. It expands the drug war at a time that most Americans want major drug policy reform.

PLEASE:

Call Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi at 202-225-0100. When the receptionist answers, say something like: "I'm calling to urge Speaker Pelosi to cancel the vote on the Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act that is scheduled for tomorrow. It is shameful that Democrats are considering expanding the war on drugs, a war that is being waged primarily on young people and communities of color. I can’t believe Democrats are doing this."

Please “Share” this Note with your Newsfeed so your friends and family can take action.

Further Talking Points / More Information:

The Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act of 2010 (H.R. 5231), introduced by Rep. Lamar Smith (the only House member to speak against reforming the racist crack/powder disparity), seeks to authorize U.S. criminal prosecution of anyone in the U.S. suspected of conspiring with one or more persons, or aiding or abetting one or more persons, to commit at any place outside the United States an act that would constitute a violation of the U.S. Controlled Substances Act if committed within the United States.

These penalties apply even if the controlled substance is legal under some circumstances in the other country. An American treatment providerworking with doctors in England, Denmark, Germany, or Switzerland to provide heroin assisted treatment and sterile syringes to heroin users in those countriescould face arrest. As could an otherwise law-abiding American planning with some friends to use marijuana legally in the Netherlands while on vacation there.

Even though this bill references drug trafficking in the title, it also criminalizes conspiring to possess and use marijuana or other drugs in other countries if more than one person is involved - even if drug use is decriminalized in that country. Thus, it imposes America’s harsh drug policies on other countries, and further criminalizes a health issue.The bill’s title is very misleading.

Even when applied against drug traffickers, The Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act would likely perpetuate injustice. Under U.S. drug conspiracy laws a person can be found guilty even when there are no drugs or other physical evidence involved. The uncorroborated word of someone pointing fingers to get a reduced sentence is all it takes. Moreover anyone convicted of being part of a drug conspiracy is punished not for the offense they actually committed but for all the offenses committed by members in the conspiracy. This has led to very low-level, impoverished, first-time offenders receiving sentences that are decades long. Conspiracy laws drive the so-called "girlfriend problem" whereby thousands of women every year are sentenced to harsh sentences for the crimes of their abusive partners.

The United States houses 5% of the world’s population but 25% of its incarcerated population. This excess of incarceration is a direct result of punitive and ineffective drug laws, which are currently crippling our social and economic resources. Trends in the U.S. are shifting toward alternative sentencing and away from the policies developed in the almost forty years since Nixon declared the "War on Drugs." H.R. 5231 would be a detrimental step in the wrong direction.

House Leadership should not bring this problematic bill up for a vote. It has only two cosponsors and wasn’t even considered in committee.

The 2 parties that hate individual human rights, the democrats and republicans would both rather create more criminals and prisoners via their edicts and proclamations than lose their power base.

More freedom for individual human beings = less power for the 2 parties.

Less freedom for individual humans (who are being harmed and worse as we speak) = more power for the 2 parties.

May we quit voting for stateists who want to rule over other human beings without their consent (tyranny)...

The 2 parties that hate individual human rights, the democrats and republicans would both rather create more criminals and prisoners via their edicts and proclamations than lose their power base.

Less freedom for individual humans (who are being harmed and worse as we speak) = more power for the 2 parties.

May we quit voting for stateists who want to rule over other human beings without their consent (tyranny)...

well said the parties ar good at getting us to take our eyes off of issues and attack each other because of party colors,lets stay on task soliders and dont be fooled by the D or R there is no difference

"This country is a one-party country. Half of it is called Republican and half is called Democrat. It doesn't make any difference. All the really good ideas belong to the Libertarians." -- Hugh Downs

GET EVERYONE'S NAME WHO SIGNED ONTO THAT BILL AND VOTE THEIR MISERABLE ARSES OUT! Can't trust 'em. It's an election year, they're trying hard to win points. This is scary. I don't know if it's too late to call. I hope enough called in to make a difference. I don't feel much hope of bringing reason, common sense, and sanity to our lawmakers. This is so flawed. They don't have enough slave-workers in their jails, I guess.

Sb

Guest Marywanna

OMG I just saw that idiot Lamar Smith on the news. What a hypocrite. He wants the Fed to butt out in Arizona,yet wants them to butt IN on MMJ states. Make up your mind loser. I am a registered Republican.............he makes me sick. In fact the whole party makes me mad,as well as the Dems. I feel I don't belong anywhere............This is no game for us! Leave MMJ pts alone.

IF this piece of crap passes we MUST vote EVERY goddammn one of those signers OUT. I don't know if it could be appealed or what the process is all I know is we're tired of the bullcrap. Call 'em and tell 'em we ain't gonna vote for them, the drug war is a dismal failure and their tired old tactics are backfiring and causing MORE HARM, especially where Mj is concerned.

Sb

So if the vote is over, I wonder how our great elected and non-elected officials have decided to rule and regulate us further. Any news how they voted?

I guess that they voted to increase their power base by further control of individual human beings.

Just sayin'...

I want a bill in Michigan that makes random drug testing mandatory for any person running for political office. They work for us,can we not impose rules on them?

I'd vote for it. They'd probably end up using some procedural bs to exempt themselves from it though.

I want a bill in Michigan that makes random drug testing mandatory for any person running for political office. They work for us,can we not impose rules on them?

I WISH! They need to experience what they impose on us!

But in staying on topic, we need to keep the pressure on them to make them see that the many people agree, including some in law enforcement, judges, doctors, and lawyers, that the drug war is a failure, emphasize the war on Mj and the MM community. The whole problem is because Mj is classified with other drugs that are very dangerous. As long as the propaganda machine spins out of control, with OPINION replacing fact, as long as judges legislate from the bench, despite claiming NOT to, this war will get worse. This war has been going on for 70 or so years, and WHAT has it accomplished? I could dig up facts, though they'd prob'ly ignore them. SOMEONE has to have SOME COMMON SENSE among these reps, IF we're lucky, enough will block this vote. Government interference into our lives is way out of control.

Sb

PLEASE:

Call Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi at 202-225-0100. When the receptionist answers, say something like: "I'm calling to urge Speaker Pelosi to cancel the vote on the Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act that is scheduled for tomorrow. It is shameful that Democrats are considering expanding the war on drugs, a war that is being waged primarily on young people and communities of color. I can’t believe Democrats are doing this."

Please “Share” this Note with your Newsfeed so your friends and family can take action.

Further Talking Points / More Information:

The Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act of 2010 (H.R. 5231), introduced by Rep. Lamar Smith (the only House member to speak against reforming the racist crack/powder disparity), seeks to authorize U.S. criminal prosecution of anyone in the U.S. suspected of conspiring with one or more persons, or aiding or abetting one or more persons, to commit at any place outside the United States an act that would constitute a violation of the U.S. Controlled Substances Act if committed within the United States.

These penalties apply even if the controlled substance is legal under some circumstances in the other country. An American treatment providerworking with doctors in England, Denmark, Germany, or Switzerland to provide heroin assisted treatment and sterile syringes to heroin users in those countriescould face arrest. As could an otherwise law-abiding American planning with some friends to use marijuana legally in the Netherlands while on vacation there.

Even though this bill references drug trafficking in the title, it also criminalizes conspiring to possess and use marijuana or other drugs in other countries if more than one person is involved - even if drug use is decriminalized in that country. Thus, it imposes America’s harsh drug policies on other countries, and further criminalizes a health issue.The bill’s title is very misleading.

Even when applied against drug traffickers, The Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act would likely perpetuate injustice. Under U.S. drug conspiracy laws a person can be found guilty even when there are no drugs or other physical evidence involved. The uncorroborated word of someone pointing fingers to get a reduced sentence is all it takes. Moreover anyone convicted of being part of a drug conspiracy is punished not for the offense they actually committed but for all the offenses committed by members in the conspiracy. This has led to very low-level, impoverished, first-time offenders receiving sentences that are decades long. Conspiracy laws drive the so-called "girlfriend problem" whereby thousands of women every year are sentenced to harsh sentences for the crimes of their abusive partners.

The United States houses 5% of the world’s population but 25% of its incarcerated population. This excess of incarceration is a direct result of punitive and ineffective drug laws, which are currently crippling our social and economic resources. Trends in the U.S. are shifting toward alternative sentencing and away from the policies developed in the almost forty years since Nixon declared the "War on Drugs." H.R. 5231 would be a detrimental step in the wrong direction.

House Leadership should not bring this problematic bill up for a vote. It has only two cosponsors and wasn’t even considered in committee.

here we go! Dont waiste your time calling pellosi, if your going to put anything into this, get cali to recall her! she is the most liberal of liberals, I guess thats ok if you like high taxes and more folks on welfare, and paying to keep all the illegal imigrants in the hospitals and their skewls! that is the real reason cali is going broke, giving illegal imigrants Rites!

Peace

FTW

Jim

Archived