Pollen

Hempcheff

ok, here is a question about pollination:

here are the components of the question:

Plant A-- female, from fem seed, soil, enviro-controlled outdoor grow (modified Greenhouse)

Plant B--intentionally hermied, from fem seed, soil, enviro-controlled outdoor grow (modified Greenhouse) for pollen collection

Plant A produced seeds after being intentionally crossed with the hermie pollen

Does this statement hold true "if his plants were all feminised and one turned hermie, he should get all female seeds from the pollen." ?

Are those seeds now Feminized,or are the seeds now prone to be males/Hermie?

sorry, one more thing, would those seeds be F1?

ok, here is a question about pollination:

here are the components of the question:

Plant A-- female, from fem seed, soil, enviro-controlled outdoor grow (modified Greenhouse)

Plant B--intentionally hermied, from fem seed, soil, enviro-controlled outdoor grow (modified Greenhouse) for pollen collection

Plant A produced seeds after being intentionally crossed with the hermie pollen

Does this statement hold true "if his plants were all feminised and one turned hermie, he should get all female seeds from the pollen." ?

Are those seeds now Feminized,or are the seeds now prone to be males/Hermie?

sorry, one more thing, would those seeds be F1?

Those seeds are prone to being hermies. Reason being, you pollinated a feminized female plant with a hermied plants pollen. If it had been a regular female plant, not feminized, you would have ended up with feminized seeds.

male pollen + female plant ='s regular seeds.

hermie pollen + female plant ='s fem seeds.

hermie pollen + fem female plant ='s fem seeds that are prone to hermie.

a hermied plant that pollinates itself also gives you seeds that are prone to hermie.

yes the resultant seeds would be feminized, In my experience they are more prone to hermie around 25% more likely. Not sure about the F1 thing. I have made feminized seeds from late flower pollen sacks on a neville's haze at 16 weeks. I crossed the pollen to a Super Silver Haze just so my seed mother wasnt the plant that hermied. So far I have grown out 8 beans and counting and no hermi yet.

I like the late flower pollen sac method because even if the plant does carry the trait it is harvested weeks before any pollen is released usually.

Personally I can't give you a scientific answer as to why but I can give you some of my experiences with hermies. I grow 1 strain on every grow I do Northern Lights crossed with Hash Plant, it has a tendency to develop 3 or 4 yellow banners. I know the pollen that does fertilize the females is from the indoor grow and not from outside elements. I usually end up with 5 or 10 seeds from the 4 plants I flower, not always the main strain I grow. When I grow from these seeds they have always been female never had a male. I have had the NL X HP cross with a afghany and some of the plants followed 1 or the other of the parents in traits and potency, but they always pop the nanners, stress or not. The good thing is that the nanners are usually easy to spot and a pair of tweezers will eliminate the flower. I actually have better luck with my hermie seeds than some of the fem seeds I bought. The A Train had 20 or 30 nanners pop up on the bottom of the plant and some opened before I found them. My Tora Bora did the same type of thing. The Church popped some but I found then early and so far haven't found seeds. Bottom line for me is I will use my own hermied seeds before I use any of the fem seeds I bought, with mine I know what to expect, with the fems who knows. As for your question in my experience the hermied seeds will always be female no matter which female plant produced the pollen, a self pollination or the plant growing next to it.

A plant that hermies under normal grow conditions is going to produce offspring that hermies under normal grow conditions.

What you are doing is strengthening the hermie trait, especially when you use plants that come from feminized seeds in a breeding project.

If you want to make stable feminized seeds you NEED to use STABLE parent stock. No real breeder would knowingly use a plant that come from feminized seeds in a breeding project.

As for your question in my experience the hermied seeds will always be female no matter which female plant produced the pollen, a self pollination or the plant growing next to it.

Hermie seeds will produce at least some hermie plants, hermies are NOT female, they are mixed gender.

A plant that hermies under normal grow conditions is going to produce offspring that hermies under normal grow conditions.

What you are doing is strengthening the hermie trait, especially when you use plants that come from feminized seeds in a breeding project.

If you want to make stable feminized seeds you NEED to use STABLE parent stock. No real breeder would knowingly use a plant that come from feminized seeds in a breeding project.

Actually I'm not breeding or growing for anyone so I see no harm in me smoking what I grow. All I was saying was I had more male flowers on plants grown from Greenhouse Fem seeds or THseeds fem seeds than I did with plants grown from the seeds that were grown from my hermied plants. I never claimed to be a breeder real or otherwise. When you or anyone else can give me or show me a strain that works better for my neuropathy than my herming NLxHP I,ll give it a shot but until I find one I'll continue what I'm doing now.I think hermies are just plants with a strong survival instinct.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have grown my first hermie ever!!! Previously I have never produce a seed in my life and decided to let this one live. Also because it was my largest plant (of Course) and it did not show any pods at first just white pistils. I knew something was up when I started to get fan leafs with small extra leaf sprouts growing on top. Sure enough I found a few pods way later that have opened on it but only at the bottom which was at the time the middle of the plant. And only where the mutated leafs formed.

After it matured it seemed to go back to female seeing that the top colas were seed free. And the new leafs quit growing mutated like. I really liked this strain and wonder if I should keep the beans or toss them? Thanks in advance.

Genes are strange and AMAZING... Sometimes the unexpected happens from the expected....Sometimes.

If you want to throw the dice with the hermie pollen... Ya have the odds against ya for a female... But ya never know.

Their just odds, ya beat them way back when when you were conceived.

If ya have the curiosity to do it.... Try it.

:skydive:

Genes are strange and AMAZING... Sometimes the unexpected happens from the expected....Sometimes.

If you want to throw the dice with the hermie pollen... Ya have the odds against ya for a female... But ya never know.

Their just odds, ya beat them way back when when you were conceived.

If ya have the curiosity to do it.... Try it.

That being said, A Hermie parent is hard trait to avoid in an upcoming pollinated offspring... But it does take two genetic backgrounds to create>>> And there's MUCH INFORMATION stored in those 'HERMIE' seeds-.....>>>>'UNIQUE' pollen, MANY POSSIBILITIES.

If ya do... Post your outcome later, one's experience in such things are interesting. :geek:

Archived