How Much Would A Real Dispensary License Be Worth To You?

Highlander

We all know that cannabis regulation is all about the dollar. We have a new governor and new AG taking office soon. The AG already said that the MMMAct would allow dispensaries to pop up all over. Granted that is just campaign talk, but if we take him at his word and show him the money..??

Who would pay for a dispensary license, and how much? If the state officially recognized dispensaries and offered a license, with a fee sufficient to cover the costs of inspections, etc. and a little over and above that to bring in some much needed dollars for the state, what would it be worth to you?

I've talked to a few caregivers who would pay $10k plus per year to hold a license to dispense to any cardholder.

How many licenses would be sold anually? 100? 1,000?

The only way we'll see meaningful reform from the incoming administration is to:

1. Generate money for the state

2. Ensure there is a way to keep non patients and non-CGs out (easy to do with MDCH verification)

3. Generate money for the state

10,000 licenses at $10,000/year each is $10million per year in revenue. Is this enough cash to spark some interest?

No way should a dispensary pay a stupidly high amount of cash for a license.

How much is a liquor license in MI?

In Michigan, the amount of a liquor license varies based on the type of license. In all cases, a $70 inspection fee is required during the application process. A standard Class C license for consumption of beer, wine and mixed drinks on the premises, such as a bar, is $600 per year---$250 for taverns selling just beer and wine. Convenient stores, grocery stores or other locations selling alcohol for consumption off the premises must pay $100 per year per location and, if selling spirit drinks or mixed spirit drinks, an additional $150 per year with $3 for every fraction of $1,000 sold over $25,000 in retail value under the license.

Perhaps license fees for dispensaries should be more along those lines rather than ten grand every year. Maybe a grand tops to have an all inclusive license just to be on the juicy side for the sake of appealing to the government. But dispensary owners shouldn't have to grab their ankles every year for a license.

In Michigan, the amount of a liquor license varies based on the type of license. In all cases, a $70 inspection fee is required during the application process. A standard Class C license for consumption of beer, wine and mixed drinks on the premises, such as a bar, is $600 per year---$250 for taverns selling just beer and wine. Convenient stores, grocery stores or other locations selling alcohol for consumption off the premises must pay $100 per year per location and, if selling spirit drinks or mixed spirit drinks, an additional $150 per year with $3 for every fraction of $1,000 sold over $25,000 in retail value under the license.

Perhaps license fees for dispensaries should be more along those lines rather than ten grand every year. Maybe a grand tops to have an all inclusive license just to be on the juicy side for the sake of appealing to the government. But dispensary owners shouldn't have to grab their ankles every year for a license.

I don't like comparing a liquor license to a dispensary license since the two products are very different. But is pays to understand that since liquor licenses are limited in number based on local populations, and as such there is a huge secondary market for them. It is very common for liquor licenses to be sold for upwards of $100,000.

I agree that a dispensary should not be required to pay huge $ to operate, but this may be the only way to get the support needed.

MMM I couldn't agree more. Is 10 million enough? Not to save our dead economy, lmao. We'll see how the AG and new Gov feel about us and take it from there. We should do as the romans (or Californians) and simply pay a state AND Fed tax on dispensaries. That way both parties would receive compensation and if it's working for Cali, why not M.I.? Just look at it as running a grocery store selling consumable goods. Expect the same inspections, regulations, and to adhere to the same fees or a little higher that they do.

In the mean time, get your money together and pray

Guest Happy Guy

Keep in mind the ones who would pay for these expensive licenses would expect their competition to go away like in Arizona where you can't grow your own if you live within 25 miles of one. Be very careful what you ask for.

Holy bunny muffin, $100,000?? What the eff are those licenses for? Or is it that they are so rare that they go up for bids if a person gives one up?

I don't really like comparing liquor licenses to dispensary licenses either, but I thought it some good numbers to throw out there for comparison. And I didn't really find good enough numbers to make comparisons to pharmacies or restaurants, lol.

ten grand might make em sit up and take notice, but I still think it would be an unfair amount to ask in the primary market. I guess that figure would seem pretty low on the secondary market by comparison to liquor licenses.

Keep in mind the ones who would pay for these expensive licenses would expect their competition to go away like in Arizona where you can't grow your own if you live within 25 miles of one. Be very careful what you ask for.

Yeah that as a bit of a downer in AZ.

What's nice about the law here in MI, is we could have new legislation with 51% of state congress and an agreeable governor. This would allow a regulated system to run parallel with whatever the current law allows.

75% majority in the congress would be necessary to take away the rights of the patients and their CGs to grow, so dispensary legislation is an easy add-on without tampering with the existing law.

I would advocate dispensaries that allow legal growers to sell meds they don't need based on the current patient/CG system. In order to run a dispensary, the CG would be required to track his yields, how much each patient consumes, and show the excess amount that is sold through the dispensary. This shows that all of the meds are going to licensed people and prevents supporting the black market by dispensaries buying stuff from the Mexicans who are killing each other in order to sell us their weed. It would also prevent dispensary owners from jacking a patient and selling all of the meds to the highest bidder.

Or is it that they are so rare that they go up for bids if a person gives one up?

Yes, well sorta. This happens all the time. But the state doesn't sell the license, the guy who owns the license sells it, so there isn't necessarily a bid process. The license is sold a lot like a chunk of real estate. Usually the money is held in escrow while the parties do the necessary paperwork through the liquor control commission.

I don't really like comparing liquor licenses to dispensary licenses either, but I thought it some good numbers to throw out there for comparison. And I didn't really find good enough numbers to make comparisons to pharmacies or restaurants, lol.

Good to consider, yes. I liked the higher number since it would/should be sufficient to offset the state's cost to administer the program. But as you point out, restaurants, car dealers, etc. all have licenses that cost a few hundred bucks a year and all have the need for regular inspections.

So is $10k necessary or fair by comparison? No.

Necessary to get the support to pass - probably.

But the question isn't Should it cost $10k. The question is, would people pay it? I know three who would.

As long as a regulation of dispensaries does not change the law we already have, I could care less.

Except that: any costs involved will be passed on to the patient. THAT I don't like..

As long as they don't touch the amounts that patients and caregivers can have and grow .. go for it.

If any such regulation attempts to take away from the patient and caregiver, I'll be fighting it every step of the way.

As long as a regulation of dispensaries does not change the law we already have, I could care less.

Except that: any costs involved will be passed on to the patient. THAT I don't like..

As long as they don't touch the amounts that patients and caregivers can have and grow .. go for it.

If any such regulation attempts to take away from the patient and caregiver, I'll be fighting it every step of the way.

I couldn't of said it better myself PB

MMM I couldn't agree more. Is 10 million enough? Not to save our dead economy, lmao. We'll see how the AG and new Gov feel about us and take it from there. We should do as the romans (or Californians) and simply pay a state AND Fed tax on dispensaries. That way both parties would receive compensation and if it's working for Cali, why not M.I.? Just look at it as running a grocery store selling consumable goods. Expect the same inspections, regulations, and to adhere to the same fees or a little higher that they do.

In the mean time, get your money together and pray

Well, Highlander got his math wrong, it would actually yield $100 million if, in fact, the state sold 10,000 at $10,000 a piece. Take all of that and put it towards primary and secondary education. The state desperately needs it.

A scheme like this would put firm state validation on dispensaries and be even more likely to keep the feds out.

We all know that cannabis regulation is all about the dollar. We have a new governor and new AG taking office soon. The AG already said that the MMMAct would allow dispensaries to pop up all over. Granted that is just campaign talk, but if we take him at his word and show him the money..??

Who would pay for a dispensary license, and how much? If the state officially recognized dispensaries and offered a license, with a fee sufficient to cover the costs of inspections, etc. and a little over and above that to bring in some much needed dollars for the state, what would it be worth to you?

I've talked to a few caregivers who would pay $10k plus per year to hold a license to dispense to any cardholder.

The only way we'll see meaningful reform from the incoming administration is to:

2. Ensure there is a way to keep non patients and non-CGs out (easy to do with MDCH verification)

10,000 licenses at $10,000/year each is $10million per year in revenue. Is this enough cash to spark some interest?

Checking that math for ya bro, looks more like $100,000,000 thats another zero on to it, a Hundred Million. Thats way too many Licenses

Maybe a thousand would work at 10k each equals the 10 mil. Sounds Feasable to me

Checking that math for ya bro, looks more like $100,000,000 thats another zero on to it, a Hundred Million. Thats way too many Licenses

Maybe a thousand would work at 10k each equals the 10 mil. Sounds Feasable to me

Ok yeah bad math. And 10,000 is too many facilities. If we kept pace with Cali in terms of dispensaries per person we'd end up with about 3,000 outlets.

I think its a good idea, though generally, I favor less regulation and government.

Having a dispensary subject to inspection, and perhaps certain requirements could mean better, higher quality medications, less chemicals, etc. I am all for that.

In my experience though more regulation = more cost and less quality.

10 mill is peanuts to the state, you may as well offer them 10 dollars, it wont matter!

Dont mean to burst bubbles!

Peace

FTW

Jim

I don't like comparing a liquor license to a dispensary license since the two products are very different. But is pays to understand that since liquor licenses are limited in number based on local populations, and as such there is a huge secondary market for them. It is very common for liquor licenses to be sold for upwards of $100,000.

I agree that a dispensary should not be required to pay huge $ to operate, but this may be the only way to get the support needed.

yep very different one of them is legal and the other is not!

:notfair:

Right On

100,000 for a liquor licenses i really think that is low in certain counties u can have only so many licenses in that county so i know of one county on the west side that a guy had a licenses that he wouldn't even consider selling for less that $250,000 and he said that was low so less than a $1000 is really cheap.

Archived