Chewed Up Leaf & A Tiny Flying Bug

totung

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/uploads/1291297782/gallery_16042_442_291886.jpg

I noticed one of my Dynamite plants had one leaf on it that appeared to be "chewed on".

I looked at all of the other plants but couldn't find any other leaf that had been chewed one.

Then, the next day, I checked again and still didn't find another leaf.

Well, last night, I was checking again and I noticed a very small flea type bug flying around one of the G-Force plants.

I tried to kill it, but couldn't.

I haven't spraying the plants with anything yet. The Dynamite plant that is chewed on is nearing the end of week 3 in veg.

Couple Questions:

1) Should I start spraying the plants? If so, with what?

2) Do you thing the chewed leaf is from the bug I spotted flying around?

3) What do you think the tiny bug was? It reminded me of a fruit fly/flea as far as size goes.

http://www.michiganm..._442_291886.jpg

I noticed one of my Dynamite plants had one leaf on it that appeared to be "chewed on".

I looked at all of the other plants but couldn't find any other leaf that had been chewed one.

Then, the next day, I checked again and still didn't find another leaf.

Well, last night, I was checking again and I noticed a very small flea type bug flying around one of the G-Force plants.

I tried to kill it, but couldn't.

I haven't spraying the plants with anything yet. The Dynamite plant that is chewed on is nearing the end of week 3 in veg.

Couple Questions:

1) Should I start spraying the plants? If so, with what?

2) Do you thing the chewed leaf is from the bug I spotted flying around?

3) What do you think the tiny bug was? It reminded me of a fruit fly/flea as far as size goes.

With the onset of cold wetaher, most of my bug concerns have gone away. I did notice a few tiny little flying critters come out of the hydroton recently when I was lifting one of my net pots. No leaf damage that I can see, but I don't want them to enjoy what I plan on consuming so I mixed up a little of my bug spray and sprayed the hydroton. It seems to have worked. Also, there are sticky things available at most grow stores. They are cards that you can set up or hang near your plants. They come in two different colors, with different bugs attracted to different colors. They're pretty cheap, and convenient to use. It's been a few days now since my light spraying, and I don't see anything flying around. I hope this helps.

I was planning on getting some of those sticky cards.

But not sure what I should do about what is already going on.

The fact that no other leaves that I can tell have been chewed is good.

I am at a point where I would like to do something to prevent anything in the future as well as make sure whatever is going on now is killed off.

Should I spray the plants? If so, with what?

Should I do anything to the soil? If so, what?

i use hot shot pest strips,they kill all crawling and flying insects and have never had a bug problem..one night a fly slipped in when i opened the door, the next day there was no sign of him! they last for 4 months, i got mine at lowes for $7

It's either a gnat or a fruitfly.

The one I smashed looked like a gnat that I found a pic of on google.

I can take care of the gnats/fruit flies that are flying around, I just want to make sure I take care of the soil too so the larve doesn't eat the roots away.

Many mild fungicide / insecticide / miticide sprays don't kill the adult bugs right away. They effect their digestive and reproductive systems. The sprays also contain some form of a soap, which breaks down the protective layer on all life stages of the bugs (egg / larvae / adult). Three weeks in bloom is still early enough to consider foliar spraying, but I'd be reluctant to spray unless it was a big infestation. BubbleGrower talks about sraying some pesticide on your fingers and rubbing each leaf and stem. I think he uses neem oil. The diatomaceous earth should work on the soil. It sure can be frustrating dealing with all the little problems. I hope you get it under control.

It's either a gnat or a fruitfly.

The one I smashed looked like a gnat that I found a pic of on google.

I can take care of the gnats/fruit flies that are flying around, I just want to make sure I take care of the soil too so the larve doesn't eat the roots away.

I had this issue last fall, and purchased some "Go Gnat" from my local Hydro store. You can mix it and spray it on your plants, or mix it to be put directly in the soil. It's also a good idea to take out about an inch of soil, and replace it, just to be sure there's no left over larvae. Good Luck!! :thumbsu:

I have so many options and just don't know what to do.

I am gonna get a bowl of apple cider vinegar and some dish soap and out it in the room with saran wrap on to top of it with holes poked in it.

That will take care of the flying ones.

I will get some Diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it on the top of the soil to deal the the larve.

Gotta start somewhere so that is what I am gonna do.

Yeah, I am in soil.

1:1 ratio of perlite to pro-mix

I just read up on Diatomaceous earth

Anyone ever use it?

They say you just sprinkle it on the top of the soil and it will kill the gnat larve living in the soil.

yes ive used it wrks great and its safe...just ground up sea shells when the lil maggots try to come out the earth....all cut up...basterds lol

Once I put the Diatomaceous earth on the top of the soil, it's ok to water/feed the plant, right?

I don't have to remove the top layer of soil first or anything like that....

DE will cure all your larva problems. sprinkle on a quarter inch or so a couple times during grow. DE is like volcanic ash, microscopic glass shards. it will cut any larva to ribbons and let them die a horrorible death!! you can water as normal, it gets the DE deeper into the soil. its also inert, won't change ph or nutes

Well, the only place that has DE is about 20 minutes away so I will have to head out there tomorrow.

I need to run out and get some apple cider vinegar too since the wife told me we had some and we don't.

There are a couple more flying around down there so I need to get the DE on the top of the soil as soon as possible.

And yes, I have two dogs and two cats, all of which are unable to access the veg and flower room.

just applied the DE to the top of the soil and hung the hot shot pest strip

the plants need to be fed today, but i am going to feed them less this time so they dry out faster.

i think that is one of the main problems. i am watering/feeding until it starts coming out of the drain holes at the bottom of the bucket.

if i stop that and only give each plant a certain amount, i will be able to regulate how moist the soil gets and how long it stays moist.

we will see how it goes!

Archived