Leaders Eye Help With State Medical Marijuana Act

Captain Obvious

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/news/x1714272426/Leaders-eye-help-with-state-medical-marijuana-act

By PETER DAINING

The Holland Sentinel

Posted Dec 08, 2010 @ 11:15 PM

Ottawa County, MI — Local leaders aren’t sure what to do with the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.

About 80 of them came to an Ottawa County workshop Wednesday to learn what options governments have in navigating the confusing legislation approved by Michigan voters in 2008.

Four Michigan cities, including Wyoming, have already chosen to defy the state law by banning medical marijuana. The American Civil Liberties Union is now suing several of them for violating the act, leaving it up to the courts to decipher between local, state and federal marijuana rules.

Attorney Daniel Martin of law firm Scholten Fant told a large audience of local city and township officials Wednesday an outright ban isn’t such a great idea.

“It becomes this huge argument in preemption, and I don’t want any of my communities to be a test case, so I’ve advise against this approach,” Martin said.

Cities and townships can also decide to do nothing, pass zoning restrictions or pass licensing restrictions, Martin said. Holland Township just discussed the issue this week.

Many township officials are concerned with the large number of potential loop holes in the state act.

For example, medical marijuana patients can’t smoke their medicine on a bus. But, Martin said, they could eat marijuana brownies while they ride.

“However, if you give a brownie laced with marijuana to someone not licensed to have that, that’s going to be a problem,” Martin said.

There are currently 43,292 medical marijuana patients registered with the state, and each can legally carry 2.5 ounces. A caregiver — or grower — can only supply five patients.

It wasn’t just township trustees in the audience. Martin took questions from folks with their own interest in the medical marijuana act.

While the state has a good count of the marijuana patients, officials aren’t keeping close tabs of the growers yet, Martin said.

One man asked whether he and his wife could both grow marijuana in the same space. Another wondered if she could be prosecuted for driving with marijuana in a state that doesn’t have medical marijuana legislation.

“If you’re trying to jump through some of these loop holes that you see in this act, be very, very careful,” he said, adding an infraction could lead to federal prosecution and even jail time.

Many township officials are concerned with the large number of potential loop holes in the state act.

For example, medical marijuana patients can’t smoke their medicine on a bus. But, Martin said, they could eat marijuana brownies while they ride.

“However, if you give a brownie laced with marijuana to someone not licensed to have that, that’s going to be a problem,” Martin said.

Huh. Guess I'm not seeing how this could be called a 'loophole?' Such a situation seems pretty clear-cut in the laws as they are.

And this is somehow different from a patient popping an Oxycontin on the bus and giving one to someone else?

Oh sorry, I forgot, Marijuana has magical demonic properties and will immediately destroy the lives of everyone else in close proximity to the patient.

Oh sorry, I forgot, Marijuana has magical demonic properties and will immediately destroy the lives of everyone else in close proximity to the patient.

QFTIS

(quoted for truth in sarcasm)

This country has lived offa propaganda for so long, we wouldn't notice the truth or falsehoods if they bit us on the nose!

Archived