Brand New Carbon Filter/fan And 2 Ozone Gen It's Not Keeping Up With The Smell?! Wtf

cephalopod

This is what I bought... http://cgi.ebay.com/6-CARBON-FAN-FILTER-COMBO-inch-air-66-75-100-CAN-HUGE_W0QQitemZ120638832931QQcategoryZ43555QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5682287097273366227

My room is about 1000 cubic feet[12'x12'x7'] and well sealed. The fan is sealed well to the filter drawing plenty negative pressure. It's been running for about 12 hours now and still smell my room from up stairs. I have 6 sleestack at day 59 and another 9 at day 22, about 48 square feet of canopy. The filter is recirculating in the room, and I have a ozone gen[corona spark] at the intake outside of the room, and a cap uv ozone on the exhaust. What else am I suppose to do from here? Do I just need to give it a little more time?

This is what I bought... http://cgi.ebay.com/6-CARBON-FAN-FILTER-COMBO-inch-air-66-75-100-CAN-HUGE_W0QQitemZ120638832931QQcategoryZ43555QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5682287097273366227

My room is about 1000 cubic feet[12'x12'x7'] and well sealed. The fan is sealed well to the filter drawing plenty negative pressure. It's been running for about 12 hours now and still smell my room from up stairs. I have 6 sleestack at day 59 and another 9 at day 22, about 48 square feet of canopy. The filter is recirculating in the room, and I have a ozone gen[corona spark] at the intake outside of the room, and a cap uv ozone on the exhaust. What else am I suppose to do from here? Do I just need to give it a little more time?

Sounds like you've got all the toys you need. What you want to figure out now is where are the "leaks" in your room. Floorboards, walls, ceiling, somewhere there is cracks that let air out and thus the smell out. The o2, can/fan stuff wont work unless its room can keep all the air trapped so it can be treated before evacuated.

Also, your room size may not match your smell control set up. Often times people purchase fans too fast and powerful which do not have enough time to treat the air before they expel it.

That is too much fan for that filter. For a 400 cfm fan you should have around 30 lbs of carbon or more if 100% odor elimination is needed. You can get a fan speed controller for about 30 bucks and slow down the fan a little. With an ozone generator and carbon filter that is dial in you can remove all traces of the smell.

I would definitely take that ozone generator off the intake quickly. Ozone will damage your plants... you should only use that if you are exhausting outdoors... Ozone is deadly and can kill you... in fact I would recommend not using ozone at all... I can assure you that a properly sized filter fan combo will eliminate ANY smell.

I would definitely take that ozone generator off the intake quickly. Ozone will damage your plants... you should only use that if you are exhausting outdoors... Ozone is deadly and can kill you... in fact I would recommend not using ozone at all... I can assure you that a properly sized filter fan combo will eliminate ANY smell.

If there is still odor in the house, there is not a dangerous level of ozone. Ozone is a natural phenomenon and is responsible for that fresh smell after a good rain. If you smell a bleach smell in your house, the ozone level is too high and needs to be reduced.

Ozone is an oxidizer. It can oxidize your lungs to the point of causing bleeding, which is potentially life threatening. Ozone can damage the lungs over time. Though some areas can have high levels of natural ozone, the EPA has stated there is no safe level of ozone. Ozone is very unstable and degrades in about 1/2 hour. Ozone is heavier than air. So, if the ozone is in the basement it probably will not reach upper rooms of the house, but it could be brought up there through the HVAC system.

Just as caution should be practiced to prevent the HID lights from starting a fire, caution should be used with ozone. But both HID lights and ozone can be used very safely.

if you bought your ozone emitter at the grow shop I'm sorry to tell you its bunk. this is what I have and it WORKS!! set outside my rooms and the entire house smells fresh. you can't smell cigarettes, weed, pets, rotten garbage or any other nasty smell. almost works too good!!!first ebay

example I found

I'm looking for sumthing like this were did u purchase it online. ? How big of area do u use it in.

I've been growing some pretty stinky diesel strains and also had smell issues, even with properly sized carbon filters and fans. What finally did the trick for me, as PadroPadro suggests above, is ensuring negative pressure in the grow room. I sealed up the room as best as I could, then set up the 2 carbon filters to extract air from the room and vent it outside. This way stinky air can never leak out of the room into the rest of the building, instead air is drawn into the room through whatever cracks there still are, and only clean fresh air exits through the carbon filters.

So, is your room well sealed and under negative pressure?

I've been growing some pretty stinky diesel strains and also had smell issues, even with properly sized carbon filters and fans. What finally did the trick for me, as PadroPadro suggests above, is ensuring negative pressure in the grow room. I sealed up the room as best as I could, then set up the 2 carbon filters to extract air from the room and vent it outside. This way stinky air can never leak out of the room into the rest of the building, instead air is drawn into the room through whatever cracks there still are, and only clean fresh air exits through the carbon filters.

So, is your room well sealed and under negative pressure?

so you use 2 fans &2 carbon filters ?

What size are they ?

I'm also trying to prevent the smell issue

I'm moving my garden into a industrial building and I'm very worried about the smell leaking to the unit next door

my landlord is cool with it just don't want nosey people next door smelling and telling

Wow thanks for all of the responses. Thanks2 thanks2u, I'll order a speed control. Mimedgrow, the ozone generator is out side of the room, which is sealed, at the intake for my air-cooled hoods. The thought behind that is...I have noticed the flexible ducting I'm using actually has a good amount of very small perforation. So I drew the conclusion that this was where the smell was getting out. So the way it's set up it draws the zone through the ducting, not the room. At the end of the run of ducting, I built a muffler box, if you will, 4'x4'x1' with a uv ozone unit and baffling to help mix the air. And thanks for the concern for my/my plants safety. Boroboro, the room is very well sealed. I built it, mudded it, painted it, applied contact adhesive and german reflective material the shiny stuff, hit it with all kinds of construction adhesive and silicone. The only chink in the armor is a 1 1/2" drain hole in the floor that runs to the sump pump. As for the negative pressure, I don't know, but doubt I have achieved any. Long hair I bought it from ebay per recommendation by Panhead, it's a C.A.P. uv and I just cleaned the bulb the other day. I have a living air Alpine air at the intake, and yes it is a very powerful unit with a dial to control out put and another for fan speed. We'll see if things are any better today. Out of desperation, I ended up hanging leather scented car air fresheners around the basement, and then a couple upstairs.

Thanks again guys and gals.

I've got a cheaper, simpler solution for you: build a carbon scrubber. It's nothing more than a filter mated to a fan that is left in your room. If you leave it on 24/7 it will constantly recirculate air in your room (another bonus) and re-filters it over and over. I spent 6 months trying to solve the same problem as you, and this did the trick overnight. I've got a 10x10 flower room, 2000 watts of lights, and 18 stinky plants, and all I used was a dinky little 4" Dayton fan and a decent filter. Because you're passing air through the filter multiple times, as opposed to once with a normal exhaust fan and filter, you can get away with a much smaller rig (mine is only 275 cfm). If you're like HTG, this would probably work for you: http://htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-4in-Inline-Fan-&-Carbon-Filter-Combo.asp

so you use 2 fans &2 carbon filters ?

What size are they ?

I'm also trying to prevent the smell issue

I'm moving my garden into a industrial building and I'm very worried about the smell leaking to the unit next door

my landlord is cool with it just don't want nosey people next door smelling and telling

I didn't really set up 2 filters by design, it just worked out that way. I had a smell crisis one week, and rushed out and bought a new carbon filter, thinking that my old one was worn out. It turns out that it was just extremely high humidity reducing the filter's effectiveness. That old filter is working fine in this weather, so it's back in service.

I actually have a room within a room. The newer Can 50 does the main work in the flower room, and the older Ebay special carbon filter makes sure the outer room is smell-free. Works great now, though I am worried about next summer and high humidity.

I put speed controllers on my fans and dialed them down to get enough airflow, but not so much that the filters' effectiveness is reduced. I don't know the fan specs, since I bought it used right off a demo tent on the store floor.

I didn't really set up 2 filters by design, it just worked out that way. I had a smell crisis one week, and rushed out and bought a new carbon filter, thinking that my old one was worn out. It turns out that it was just extremely high humidity reducing the filter's effectiveness. That old filter is working fine in this weather, so it's back in service.

I actually have a room within a room. The newer Can 50

does the main work in the flower room, and the older Ebay

special carbon filter makes sure the outer room is smell-

free. Works great now, though I am worried about next msummer and high humidity.

Thanks for the info

I put speed controllers on my fans and dialed them down to get enough airflow, but not so much that the filters' effectiveness is reduced. I don't know the fan specs, since I bought it used right off a demo tent on the store floor.

I've got a cheaper, simpler solution for you: build a carbon scrubber. It's nothing more than a filter mated to a fan that is left in your room. If you leave it on 24/7 it will constantly recirculate air in your room (another bonus) and re-filters it over and over. I spent 6 months trying to solve the same problem as you, and this did the trick overnight. I've got a 10x10 flower room, 2000 watts of lights, and 18 stinky plants, and all I used was a dinky little 4" Dayton fan and a decent filter. Because you're passing air through the filter multiple times, as opposed to once with a normal exhaust fan and filter, you can get away with a much smaller rig (mine is only 275 cfm). If you're like HTG, this would probably work for you: http://htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-4in-Inline-Fan-&-Carbon-Filter-Combo.asp

That's what I'm doing but, a 6" with the tall boy filter. Just got in and good news. It really seems to be doing a lot better today, I'm going to take down some of those air fresheners, SWEET! I was really disheartened for a minute there, glad it's showing results. I mean 2 different types of ozone generators and a carbon scrubber dang. What do from there.

ebay is the best place to get a "real" ozone emitter cheap. anything under $200 is a good deal. a good one will have 2 ceramic plates with stainless steel screen on both sides, a dial for high to low and a fan speed dial. usually has a "sanatize" button that turns it on high for 30 min. to clear the air. on low your house smells like fresh air. on high, like a cloronated pool. I just love mine. broil salmon in the house and you'd never know it!!

I really don't think that you can totally remove the smell of cannabis from your area i run a tallboy cannister and my rooms in the far end of my basement yet i still smell it upstairs maybe find a strain that doesn't stink as much during flower if smell is this big of an issue.

strain suggestions that avoid the smell problem cindy 99, or chemodog #4 x cinderella 99, or purple rain. No odor during flowering, but after manicuring in the jar smells like skunk on lemons times oranges.

I made a homemade Carbon Filter and it didn't work for bunny muffin. I bought a Can Fan and I haven't smelled anything outside of my room for almost a year (9-10 months). I wouldn't recommended wasting time and money to build one...

Archived