Lapeer County Press

Suspects nabbed picking up 42 kg of pot

by Phil Foley

810-452-2616

pfoley@mihomepaper.com

Pontiac -- A Dryden businessman, who has been a big local advocate of medical marijuana and a Colorado women were arrested January 20 at a shipping company warehouse with what Oakland County Sheriff's office investigators say was 42 kg of high grade marijuana.

Lt. Joe Quisenberry said officers from the Narcotics Enforcement Team (NFT) took Randy Robert Kroll Crowel, 53, of Dryden and Kristina Susanna Raquel, 34, of Denver into custody as they reportedly picked up a 3 x 4 x 4 container at a Pontiac warehouse.

Quisenberry said an NFT detectives received information January 18 that FedEx had delivered a street container from Colorado to YRC freight company on Jocelyn Avenue in Pontiac believed to contain a large amount of marijuana. He said it any NFT detectives had a drug a search w for the container and set up surveillance to see who would come for the package.

Two days later police arrested Crowell and Raquel without incident at the they reportedly arrived at the warehouse in a rental truck and signed for the package said Quisenberry. He said the marijuana found in the container has a estimated street value $170,000.

There is more but it's a lot of typing I will try to get more done later. Takes me forever. Sorry no link.

Are Colorado agents targeting Michigan Medical Marihuana operatives with dump-trucks-o-cash/meds in an attempt to knock out emerging local production and distribution networks?

Sounds like fall out from the greed machine.

Forget your lust for the rich man's gold

All that you need, is in your soul

Which coops/dispensaries are comprised of 100% local caregivers?

I would dare say that the one's with the best prices and quality support Michigan growers.

There's one in AA that for sure does and proudly admits it.

I've had friends from cali say that some of the bud here is as good as they've had anywhere.

Folks, There it is. Greed, selling out Michigan jobs. I am proud that we support Michigan! How many more of these so called activist have turned their backs on us for dead presidents. We must take care of each other. Any Dispensary that offers anything other than Michigan Grown should be boycotted out of existence. What we're really talking about, if this high grade had made it out to the market, is hundreds of jobs. The money generated from this criminal enterprise was headed straight back to Colorado. Michigan is in a depression. People who do this deserve what they get.

Ann Arbor city council, Please don't support criminals, support patients/caregivers. Thanks, bb

what do you do besides bloviate on these boards, sir. Why does your background in Military Intelligence make me so nervous? What is your medical cannabis background? Why are you not in Lansing more behind the "closed doors" to which you allude? What evidence do you have of MACC or anyone besides LEO trying to subvert our law?

Why do you give such credence to the police version of this raid?

Easy dutch. Sh*t is gonna happen in Mi and we will need the mmma. While bb is over the top sometimes, he appears to care a lot. I like the mmma and bb. And I trust bb. And dutch, I am afraid we will see some Colorado style regulations from lansing. The marijuana bar legislation is nothing compared. I think we are an easily excited group of wounded warriors. Bb is right. And ya gotta think new regs and legislation are forthcoming and I can see how the government would gravitate to Colorado model. Bb, to me, has a point.

Here is the rest.

Oakland County prosecutor Jessica Cooper the marijuana was destined for Big Daddy's in Oak Park. She said police have already visited their.

Crower and Raquel at all were arraigned before Oakland County magistrate Marie Soma January 22, both were charged with possession with intent to deliver marijuana.

At a pre-exam conference at the 50th District Court in Pontiac Thursday prosecutors amended the charges against Crowel and Raquel delivery of controlled substance between 5 and 45 kg. Cooper said the new charges reduced the pair of potential prison sentence, if convicted, from 15 to 7 years.

Raquel, who was already out on bond in a Colorado medical marijuana case and is facing conspiracy and possession with intent to deliver marijuana charges in Macomb County was released on $15,000 bond and was required to wear an electronic tether.

Cooper said the court denied a request from Raquel's attorney. Leon Weiss from Geoffrey Fieger's law firm, to reduce her bail.

Crowel, said Cooper, is represented by Metamora attorney Timothy Turkleson.

Lapeer County Sheriff Ron Kalanquin said Raquel, who was originally from Armada, was working as a consultant for Crowel's Compassionate Care Center of Michigan, a Dryden medical marijuana dispensary that's been shuttered since September.

Crowel was released after posting 10% of a $5,000 bond.

The pair are due back in court in Pontiac February 22 for another pre-exam conference.

Cooper noted despite the passage of medical marijuana act in 2008, the state's community health laws prohibit dispensing of drugs by anyone other than a licensed pharmacists and that pharmacists are prohibited from this dispensing scheduled one drugs. Marijuana she said is a schedule 1 drug under federal law.

In the wake of the acts passage, Crowel, who also owns the Village Grill in Dryden, Bob Wiegand opened the compassionate care center of Michigan last May and second floor space at the corner of Main and Mill streets. While the Michigan marijuana act allows qualified patients to purchase up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana at a time from registered caregivers, Crowel and Wiegards operations set off a storm of controversy across the country.

Although Village officials initially gave compassionate care Center of Michigan it's blessing, four months after it opened, the center was closed on a nuisance charge filed by Lapeer County prosecutor Byron Konshuh and. This came after Lapeer County Sheriff's Department investigators raided the center place in September seizing marijuana, cash, scales, medical edibles and records.

Proponents of medical marijuana in plain police violated protected patient medical records. Sheriff's investigators contend the center was selling more marijuana than allowed by law.

The Michigan marijuana act allows qualified patients to have up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana in their possession at any one time and for caregivers to possess up to 12 marijuana plants for them selves, if they are qualified patient, and 12 more plants for each of up to five patients.

Following the Dryden raids, sheriffs deputies raided a building in Metamora and seized 270 marijuana plants there in September. Earlier this month Metamora Township police arrested a Warren man they say was trying to break into the same building. Police said in the course of investigating that attempted break-in they discovered four caregivers operating a grow operation and they seized marijuana plants in excess of what's allowed by law.

Kalanquin said that while his office has a additional warrants as a result of the raids, none have been filed. According to Kalanquin neither Crowel nor Raquel have either patient or caregiver cards.

The Michigan medical marijuana act, complained Kalanquin, "has put law enforcement in the middle". He said his deputies have conducted numerous "knock in talks", after getting information about people growing marijuana in the county and if they have a patient or caregiver card and have the proper number of plants "we don't hassle them".

what do you do besides bloviate on these boards, sir.

You sir, may be out of line.

While I do not always agree with all BB says, his point about out of state suppliers is correct.

If this story pans out as described, I, for one, will have little sympathy for those involved.

If you can't live within the law as it is written, perish.

Nobody can justify the actions (if true) under Michigan law.

Nobody!

how would they know that they are guessing

Cooper noted despite the passage of medical marijuana act in 2008, the state's community health laws prohibit dispensing of drugs by anyone other than a licensed pharmacists and that pharmacists are prohibited from this dispensing scheduled one drugs. Marijuana she said is a schedule 1 drug under federal law.

yeah, she's clueless

Medical Marijuana is not a criminal activity. Our law protects us from prosecution. We can't allow ourselves to be sucked up into their never ending self destruction. We must isolate them and their behaviour from our movement or prepare to defend ourselves. My number one priority is to protect you folks from persecution. Despite an incredible amount of pressure I have not allowed your association to become involved in this maze of lies and criminal activity. Thanks, Bb

And thank you very much Bb.

Archived