Medicate While Pregnant?

str8dank

what is the medical recommendation from MMJ friendly doctors? I'm no doctor but i thought edibles would be the logical choice considering smoke is displacing air in the lungs. Are any case studies or any info online anywhere i cant seem to find any online. it seems crazy to be even contemplating it but then i think about all the prescriptions people are on while pregnant and it does not seem that crazy anymore.

what is the medical recommendation from MMJ friendly doctors? I'm no doctor but i thought edibles would be the logical choice considering smoke is displacing air in the lungs. Are any case studies or any info online anywhere i cant seem to find any online. it seems crazy to be even contemplating it but then i think about all the prescriptions people are on while pregnant and it does not seem that crazy anymore.

Sorry some people dont deserve to have children!

That is the stupidest question i have ever read on here!

ding ding ding ding!

we have a winner! :growl:

Mod Removed name calling

yeah i dont think it's a great idea but i have seen there was a study ran in Jamaica but it was such a small group of test subjects its about worthless.

I guess i shouldnt judge! My mother was given emphatamines (speed) when pregnant so she didnt gain to much weight while pregant! that is what they used to do back when I was born! Now emphatmines are not even legal(like crank, chrisylmeth!) yea only pill form and not made in basements or bathrooms!

ummmm wonder why my life is so care free, and jail dont bother me! and I like downers better than uppers!

Ive been on drugs and nicotine for 48yrs + 9months! (i think im 48) Its the Governments Fault, thats my story and im sticking to it!

:notfair::o:huh::wacko:

Peace

FTW

Jim

looks like one of the very few studies is showing that it's not as bad as it sounds

now i wouldn't let my wife smoke while my babys in her just cause it dont sound right.

but hell they use to say breast feed till 6 months, they just came out with somthing saying that its not such a good idea? from this ladys studies it's either the m.j. or somthing in there water thats making the kids the way they are........oh i think i figured it out,lol, they dont have fastfood and video games!

Are they still drug testing babies and mommies in the hospital the day the child is born? If yes don't use cannabis!

They'll take your kid especially in Michigan.

This is probably the biggest concern.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/august052008/morning_sickness_8-4-08.php

Medical Marijuana: A Surprising Solution to Severe Morning Sickness

(SALEM, Ore.) - As is the case for many young women, my indulgence in recreational drugs, including alcohol and caffeine, came to an abrupt halt when my husband and I discovered we were pregnant with our first child. To say we were ecstatic is an understatement.

Doctors had told me we might never conceive, yet here we were, expecting our first miracle. I closely followed my doctor’s recommendations. When I began to experience severe morning sickness, I went to him for help. He ran all of the standard tests, then sent me home with the first of many prescription medicines.

Weeks passed, and, as the nausea and vomiting increased, I began to lose weight. I was diagnosed as having hyperemesis gravidarum, a severe and constant form of morning sickness. I started researching the condition, desperately searching for a solution. I tried wristbands, herbs, yoga, pharmaceuticals, meditation—everything I could think of.

Ultimately, after losing 20 pounds in middle pregnancy, and being hospitalized repeatedly for dehydration and migraines, I developed preeclampsia and was told an emergency cesarean was necessary. My dreams of a normal birth were shattered, but our baby boy, though weighing only 4 pounds 14 ounces and jaundiced from the perinatal medications I’d been given, was relatively healthy.

When, six months later, I again found myself pregnant, I was even more determined to have a healthy and enjoyable pregnancy, and sought out the care of the best perinatologist in the area. At first, I was impressed. This doctor assured me he had all the answers, and that, under his expert care, my baby and I would never experience a moment of discomfort. However, as my belly swelled, I grew more and more ill, and my faith in my dream doctor began to falter.

What convinced me to change healthcare providers midstream was this doctor’s honesty. He admitted that, due to constraints imposed on him by his malpractice-insurance company, some routine procedures that he knew to be harmful would be required of me. We left his office that day and never went back.

As I searched for a new doctor, I ran across information about midwifery and homebirth. At first, I thought this was simply crazy. Have a baby at home, with no doctor? No way! I thought. But, as I began examining the statistics, I discovered an unexpected pattern. In studies comparing planned home versus hospital births, planned homebirths, with a midwife in attendance, have lower rates of neonatal morbidity and mortality. Not only that, but midwives’ rates of such invasive procedures as amniotomy and episiotomy are much lower. Everything I had believed about birth and medicine suddenly came into question. I located a midwife and made an appointment to see her.

We were very impressed with this woman’s education and experience, and were delighted to invite her into our home to share in our second birth. She gave me many new ideas to try to abate the morning sickness, which still plagued me. But despite her best efforts with herbs, homeopathic remedies, and even chiropractic care, my illness remained intractable.

About this time, I ran into an old, dear friend from college. When Jenny came to visit me one particularly awful day, we shared stories of the old days, and I soon found myself laughing as I hadn’t laughed in years. Despite being interrupted by numerous trips to worship the porcelain god, it felt wonderful to share some time with her. But when we began talking about my burgeoning belly, I broke down in sobs. I told her about how I was desperately afraid of what this malnutrition was doing to my baby. I explained how my midwife had told me that preeclampsia appears to be a nutritional disorder of pregnancy, and I didn’t know how I could avoid it if I couldn’t eat.

Jenny listened and cried with me. Then, she tentatively produced a joint from her jacket pocket. I was shocked. We had shared a lot of these in college, but I had no idea she still smoked. Slowly, she began telling me that she knew some women who smoked marijuana for morning sickness, and it really helped them. She hadn’t known anyone with as severe a form of the illness as I had, but reasoned that if it works to quell the side effects of chemotherapy, it must work well.

Understandably, I was concerned about what kind of effect marijuana might have on my baby. The only information I had ever heard on the subject was that it was a dangerous drug that should not be used in pregnancy. We discussed for some time the possibility that it could be harmful, though neither of us had enough information to make any sort of truly informed decision.

What finally convinced me to give it a try was Jenny’s compelling reasoning. “Well, you know that not eating or drinking more than sips of tea and nibbles of crackers is definitely harmful, right? You might as well give this a try and see what happens. You don’t have much to lose.”

She was right. I was 32 weeks along and had already lost 30 pounds. I had experienced four days of vomiting tea, broth, crackers, and toast. Nothing would stay down long. In an excited, giggly, reminiscing mood, I told her to “Fire it up!” I took two puffs of the tangy, piney smoke. As it took effect, I felt my aches and nausea finally leave me. Jenny and I reclined against my old beanbag, and I began sobbing again and unintelligibly thanking her—here was the miracle I had prayed for. A few minutes later, when I calmed down, we ordered a pizza. That was the best pizza I had ever tasted—and I kept down every bite.

It was sad that I had to discover the benefits of this medicine late in my second pregnancy, through trial and error, and not learned of them long before—from my doctors. This experience launched a much safer and more intelligent investigation into the use of cannabis during pregnancy.

I spent hour after hour poring over library books that contained references to medical marijuana and marijuana in pregnancy. Most of what I found was either a reference to the legal or political status of marijuana in medicine, or medical references that simply said that doctors discourage the use of any “recreational drug” during pregnancy. This was before I discovered the Internet, so my resources were limited.

The little I could find that described the actual effects on a fetus of a mother’s smoking cannabis claimed that there was little to no detectable effect, but, as this area was relatively unstudied, it would be unethical to call it “safe.” I later discovered that midwives had safely used marijuana in pregnancy and birth for thousands of years. Old doctors’ tales to the contrary, this herb was far safer than any of the pharmaceuticals prescribed for me by my doctors to treat the same condition. I confidently continued my use of marijuana, knowing that, among all options available to me, it was the safest, wisest choice.

Ten weeks after my first dose, I had gained 17 pounds over my pre-pregnant weight. I gave beautiful and joyous birth to a 9 pound, 2 ounce baby boy in the bed in which he’d been conceived. I know that using marijuana saved us both from many of the terrible dangers associated with malnutrition in pregnancy. Soon after giving birth, I told my husband I wanted to do it again.

Not one to deny himself or his wife the pleasures of conception, my husband agreed that we would not actively try to prevent a pregnancy, and nine months after the birth of our second son, I was pregnant with our third child. This time, I had my routine down. At the first sign of nausea, I called Jenny, who brought me my medicine. In my third, fourth, and fifth pregnancies, I gained an average of 25 pounds with each child. I had healthy, pink, chubby little angels, with lusty first cries. Their weights ranged from 8 to 9 1/2 pounds. Marijuana completely transformed very dangerous pregnancies into more enjoyable, safer, and healthier gestations.

But I was caught in a catch-22. Because my providers of perinatal health care were not doctors, they had no authority to issue me a recommendation for marijuana. In addition, I chose not to tell them I used cannabis for fear they could refuse me care. Finally, even if I could get a recommendation, I knew of no compassion clubs (medical marijuana cooperatives or dispensaries) in my area. I had to take whatever my friends could find from street dealers.

Many times I would go hungry, waiting four or more days for someone in town to find marijuana. I became so desperate for relief that I would contemplate driving to a large city like New York and walking the streets until I could find something. Fortunately, each time I almost reached that point, some kind soul would show up with something to get me through. What else is a sick person supposed to do when the only medicine that helps, and is potentially life-saving for her baby, is unavailable? I would much rather go to a store and purchase a product wrapped in a package secured with the seal of the state in which I live than buy from some guy on the street.

Along the way, I discovered the benefits of using marijuana to treat other disorders. At times, I have been plagued by migraines so severe I would wind up in the emergency room. I would receive up to 250 milligrams of Demerol, and sometimes, when Demerol failed, even shots of Dilaudid.

Thanks to my sporadic use of marijuana and a careful dosing regimen, I have not been to an emergency room in more than three years. [in September 1999, the Food and Drug Administration approved an application for a rigorous study designed to investigate the medical efficacy of marijuana on migraine headaches.—Ed.] In addition, I was diagnosed as having Crohn’s disease. After months of tests and treatments for my symptoms, I began using a dosing method similar to what I’d used for migraines, and I found that, once again, marijuana provided more relief than anything else. All in all, I’ve been prescribed more than 30 truly dangerous drugs, yet the only one that has provided relief without the associated risks is one many doctors won’t even discuss, much less recommend.

My history with medicine and with marijuana has been more extensive than average. It is my sincere belief that if the American public were told the truth about marijuana, they could not help but support an immediate end to cannabis prohibition. Even I believed it was dangerous, until I began researching the issue.

What I discovered is that not one person has ever died from smoking marijuana. The same cannot be said for the results of the misuse of some of our most commonly used substances, such as caffeine, aspirin, or vitamin A. In addition, marijuana is no more a “gateway drug” to other substances than is caffeine or alcohol. Most kids try these things long before they experiment with cannabis.

And, finally, unlike such legal drugs as caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol, marijuana is not addictive. As with Twinkies or sex, a user can come to psychologically depend on marijuana’s mood-altering effects; however, no physical addiction is associated with cannabis.

Now I find myself mother to five beautiful, intelligent, creative children for whom I would lay down my life in an instant. I have been blessed with the challenge of helping them grow into responsible, hardworking, and loving adults. I have also been blessed with the challenge of protecting them from a world fraught with dangers.

There are those who would have me believe that, in order to protect my children from drug abuse, I must lie to them; that I must tell them that marijuana is dangerous, with no redeeming qualities. Some say I should go so far as to tell them that it couldn’t possibly be used as a medicine. Then there are those who would say that if I ever find out that my child has experimented with marijuana, I should turn her over to expert authorities in order to impart a lesson. While this does send a message to the child, it is not the message I want to send.

What I teach my children, ages nine and under, about drugs is that medicine comes in many forms, and that children should never touch any medicine (categorized broadly as a pill, liquid, herb, or even caffeinated beverage) unless it is given to them by a trusted adult. My cabinets are full of herbs, such as red raspberry leaves and rosemary, which I use in cooking and as medicines. I have things such as comfrey, which I use externally, that could be dangerous if taken internally. Like all responsible parents, my husband and I keep all medicines, cleaning products, and age-inappropriate items, such as small buttons, out of the reach of our kids and safely locked away.

However, I am aware that the day may come when my kids figure out the trick to the lock, so I add an extra measure of safety by educating them about the honest dangers of using medicines that are not needed. In addition, by sharing my views about the politics behind the issues, I am teaching them another, equally important lesson. As Santa Clara University School of Law Professor Gerald Uelmen stated last year at the medical marijuana giveaway at the City Hall in Santa Cruz, California, “We are teaching our children compassion for the sick and dying; only a twisted and perverted federal bureaucrat could call that the wrong message.”

I have also tried to impart a deep respect for natural healing. By using cool compresses and acupressure for headaches before grabbing a pharmaceutical such as acetaminophen, I’ve taught them the importance of avoiding dependence on drugs. I have shown them the benefits of the wise and careful use of pharmaceuticals by using them when they were my best choice. I try to instill in them a sense of reason and resourcefulness by honestly presenting the answers to their questions and admitting what I do not know, but searching until I find the answer.

When our oldest child overheard my husband and me discussing marijuana prohibition, it opened up a wonderful line of communication about the subject. I gave him a very basic explanation: that marijuana is a plant that can be used as a medicine. I explained that it could be overused and abused, as well. Then I told him that this plant is illegal, and that people who are found to possess marijuana can go to jail. The question I found myself floundering to answer, however, was when he asked, “Why would the police put someone in jail for using medicine?”

It is long past time parents stood up and took notice of the abuses being leveled on our children by well-intentioned but misinformed governing officials. We need honest and responsible drug education that treats children as intelligent pre-adults who are learning how to live full and healthy lives in a dangerous world.

They need every shred of information we can give them, so that they do not choose to huff butane or snort heroin simply because they survived smoking the joint we told them was dangerous, and because they therefore assume we must be lying about the rest.

We need to provide an open line of communication so that, if they ever have to face areas of ambiguity or situations we have neglected to discuss, they will feel comfortable coming to us, and not friends or the Internet, to advise them when they need it most. In order to do this, we must first educate ourselves.

I'll go along with the 'no drugs during pregnancy' approach. To really do it right, though, I think that means abstaining from all drugs while the baby is inside and connected to the mother. That will likely mean just saying 'No' to doctors and nurses dozens of times. Is Mom ready for a drug-free birth? It's very possible, and there is a growing support network.

My wife went that route with both our kids, and throughout each pregnancy and birth she didn't smoke, drink, or ingest one single pill except for the normal vitamins. We did draw some attention in the hospital during the birth -- apparently most mothers don't turn down every drug offered.

Anecdotal and non-scientific, but I have two perfectly healthy and very intelligent children who are glad we did things our way.

OK, the answer is:

1. This is most certainly NOT the most stupid question. Cannabis is very likely safe to use during pregnancy.

2. HOWEVER: There is almost no research on the safety and efficacy of cannabis during pregnancy. I don't even think there are published rat studies- you know how they do all those studies on pregnant rats and megadose them with whatever. Of course the Nazi's in our federal government had BLOCKED research into this fairly simple to test question (in animal models anyway) for DECADES.

3. The general recommendation is that pregnazoids :rolleyes: refrain from ANY medications if possible during pregnancy- including morning coffee and/or pop. Why? We just don't know what the LONG TERM effects might be. What if exposure to cannabanoids in utero (in the womb) causes subtle problems in adulthood?

4. The principle first question which should have been answered many, many years ago is whether CBD's and/or THC even cross the placental barrier and my guess is they probably do NOT. Definitely could be wrong on that count.

Finally, if the choice is wasting syndrome (or something like that) where you are losing weight during pregnancy and ingesting some cannabis to stimulate the appetite I would take my chances with the demon weed. :sword:

Smoking or eating is probably all the same to the little parasite.

OK, the answer is:

1. This is most certainly NOT the most stupid question. Cannabis is very likely safe to use during pregnancy.

2. HOWEVER: There is almost no research on the safety and efficacy of cannabis during pregnancy. I don't even think there are published rat studies- you know how they do all those studies on pregnant rats and megadose them with whatever. Of course the Nazi's in our federal government had BLOCKED research into this fairly simple to test question (in animal models anyway) for DECADES.

3. The general recommendation is that pregnazoids :rolleyes: refrain from ANY medications if possible during pregnancy- including morning coffee and/or pop. Why? We just don't know what the LONG TERM effects might be. What if exposure to cannabanoids in utero (in the womb) causes subtle problems in adulthood?

4. The principle first question which should have been answered many, many years ago is whether CBD's and/or THC even cross the placental barrier and my guess is they probably do NOT. Definitely could be wrong on that count.

Finally, if the choice is wasting syndrome (or something like that) where you are losing weight during pregnancy and ingesting some cannabis to stimulate the appetite I would take my chances with the demon weed. :sword:

Smoking or eating is probably all the same to the little parasite.

Good answer.

Are they still drug testing babies and mommies in the hospital the day the child is born? If yes don't use cannabis!

They'll take your kid especially in Michigan.

They only do that if they are on state aid! so if mi adult medical is paying it(medicaid) stop using weed or you will be in a world of trouble after giving birth, they dont even have to tell you!

Thank god men dont carry the baby, there would prob be a shortage im pretty selfish, and would do bad things while pregnant, or give birth in jail, I think woman have a chemical in there brains that makes them want to protect that baby from the biginning of concepttion, men dont have them kinda feelings, at least i dont, I dont feel guilty going to work every day but most moms feel bad when they do! Thats why kids are so damned spoiled these days, both parents work and no one has time other than to make sure they keep up with all the new techie bunny muffin! no one wants to do the punishing, I dont cause Im like always yeaaa moms home my duty is done, and mom takes over when ever she it hear, everything! lol! pretty sad eh! at least this time when i feel the releif of her getting home, they arent my blood kids, but they are at heart, I felt that way with my 23 yr old son, when his mom came home! now im a grand pa so i just wind em up, sugar em up, and send em on there way with funny colored poop for mom and dad the next morn! :rolleyes:

Peace

FTW

Jim

If you have children and you feel like your life has to be different(cant go out to eat or camp or boating, etc)

you prob shouldnt have kids, mine dont slow me down and never have or will! I just bring em with me everywhere!

If your going to be pregnant I think you can stay off everything for 9 months..Risk life long health problems in anything you do from diet to meds why deliberately do something that COULD HARM THE BABY?

I have been around people all my life that smoked cigs,pot drank alcohol during pregnancy.. I cringe everytime i see it..And majority of these peoples kids def wont be anything spectacular in life..

This is probably the biggest concern.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/august052008/morning_sickness_8-4-08.php

Medical Marijuana: A Surprising Solution to Severe Morning Sickness

(SALEM, Ore.) - As is the case for many young women, my indulgence in recreational drugs, including alcohol and caffeine, came to an abrupt halt when my husband and I discovered we were pregnant with our first child. To say we were ecstatic is an understatement.

Doctors had told me we might never conceive, yet here we were, expecting our first miracle. I closely followed my doctor’s recommendations. When I began to experience severe morning sickness, I went to him for help. He ran all of the standard tests, then sent me home with the first of many prescription medicines.

Weeks passed, and, as the nausea and vomiting increased, I began to lose weight. I was diagnosed as having hyperemesis gravidarum, a severe and constant form of morning sickness. I started researching the condition, desperately searching for a solution. I tried wristbands, herbs, yoga, pharmaceuticals, meditation—everything I could think of.

Ultimately, after losing 20 pounds in middle pregnancy, and being hospitalized repeatedly for dehydration and migraines, I developed preeclampsia and was told an emergency cesarean was necessary. My dreams of a normal birth were shattered, but our baby boy, though weighing only 4 pounds 14 ounces and jaundiced from the perinatal medications I’d been given, was relatively healthy.

When, six months later, I again found myself pregnant, I was even more determined to have a healthy and enjoyable pregnancy, and sought out the care of the best perinatologist in the area. At first, I was impressed. This doctor assured me he had all the answers, and that, under his expert care, my baby and I would never experience a moment of discomfort. However, as my belly swelled, I grew more and more ill, and my faith in my dream doctor began to falter.

What convinced me to change healthcare providers midstream was this doctor’s honesty. He admitted that, due to constraints imposed on him by his malpractice-insurance company, some routine procedures that he knew to be harmful would be required of me. We left his office that day and never went back.

As I searched for a new doctor, I ran across information about midwifery and homebirth. At first, I thought this was simply crazy. Have a baby at home, with no doctor? No way! I thought. But, as I began examining the statistics, I discovered an unexpected pattern. In studies comparing planned home versus hospital births, planned homebirths, with a midwife in attendance, have lower rates of neonatal morbidity and mortality. Not only that, but midwives’ rates of such invasive procedures as amniotomy and episiotomy are much lower. Everything I had believed about birth and medicine suddenly came into question. I located a midwife and made an appointment to see her.

We were very impressed with this woman’s education and experience, and were delighted to invite her into our home to share in our second birth. She gave me many new ideas to try to abate the morning sickness, which still plagued me. But despite her best efforts with herbs, homeopathic remedies, and even chiropractic care, my illness remained intractable.

About this time, I ran into an old, dear friend from college. When Jenny came to visit me one particularly awful day, we shared stories of the old days, and I soon found myself laughing as I hadn’t laughed in years. Despite being interrupted by numerous trips to worship the porcelain god, it felt wonderful to share some time with her. But when we began talking about my burgeoning belly, I broke down in sobs. I told her about how I was desperately afraid of what this malnutrition was doing to my baby. I explained how my midwife had told me that preeclampsia appears to be a nutritional disorder of pregnancy, and I didn’t know how I could avoid it if I couldn’t eat.

Jenny listened and cried with me. Then, she tentatively produced a joint from her jacket pocket. I was shocked. We had shared a lot of these in college, but I had no idea she still smoked. Slowly, she began telling me that she knew some women who smoked marijuana for morning sickness, and it really helped them. She hadn’t known anyone with as severe a form of the illness as I had, but reasoned that if it works to quell the side effects of chemotherapy, it must work well.

Understandably, I was concerned about what kind of effect marijuana might have on my baby. The only information I had ever heard on the subject was that it was a dangerous drug that should not be used in pregnancy. We discussed for some time the possibility that it could be harmful, though neither of us had enough information to make any sort of truly informed decision.

What finally convinced me to give it a try was Jenny’s compelling reasoning. “Well, you know that not eating or drinking more than sips of tea and nibbles of crackers is definitely harmful, right? You might as well give this a try and see what happens. You don’t have much to lose.”

She was right. I was 32 weeks along and had already lost 30 pounds. I had experienced four days of vomiting tea, broth, crackers, and toast. Nothing would stay down long. In an excited, giggly, reminiscing mood, I told her to “Fire it up!” I took two puffs of the tangy, piney smoke. As it took effect, I felt my aches and nausea finally leave me. Jenny and I reclined against my old beanbag, and I began sobbing again and unintelligibly thanking her—here was the miracle I had prayed for. A few minutes later, when I calmed down, we ordered a pizza. That was the best pizza I had ever tasted—and I kept down every bite.

It was sad that I had to discover the benefits of this medicine late in my second pregnancy, through trial and error, and not learned of them long before—from my doctors. This experience launched a much safer and more intelligent investigation into the use of cannabis during pregnancy.

I spent hour after hour poring over library books that contained references to medical marijuana and marijuana in pregnancy. Most of what I found was either a reference to the legal or political status of marijuana in medicine, or medical references that simply said that doctors discourage the use of any “recreational drug” during pregnancy. This was before I discovered the Internet, so my resources were limited.

The little I could find that described the actual effects on a fetus of a mother’s smoking cannabis claimed that there was little to no detectable effect, but, as this area was relatively unstudied, it would be unethical to call it “safe.” I later discovered that midwives had safely used marijuana in pregnancy and birth for thousands of years. Old doctors’ tales to the contrary, this herb was far safer than any of the pharmaceuticals prescribed for me by my doctors to treat the same condition. I confidently continued my use of marijuana, knowing that, among all options available to me, it was the safest, wisest choice.

Ten weeks after my first dose, I had gained 17 pounds over my pre-pregnant weight. I gave beautiful and joyous birth to a 9 pound, 2 ounce baby boy in the bed in which he’d been conceived. I know that using marijuana saved us both from many of the terrible dangers associated with malnutrition in pregnancy. Soon after giving birth, I told my husband I wanted to do it again.

Not one to deny himself or his wife the pleasures of conception, my husband agreed that we would not actively try to prevent a pregnancy, and nine months after the birth of our second son, I was pregnant with our third child. This time, I had my routine down. At the first sign of nausea, I called Jenny, who brought me my medicine. In my third, fourth, and fifth pregnancies, I gained an average of 25 pounds with each child. I had healthy, pink, chubby little angels, with lusty first cries. Their weights ranged from 8 to 9 1/2 pounds. Marijuana completely transformed very dangerous pregnancies into more enjoyable, safer, and healthier gestations.

But I was caught in a catch-22. Because my providers of perinatal health care were not doctors, they had no authority to issue me a recommendation for marijuana. In addition, I chose not to tell them I used cannabis for fear they could refuse me care. Finally, even if I could get a recommendation, I knew of no compassion clubs (medical marijuana cooperatives or dispensaries) in my area. I had to take whatever my friends could find from street dealers.

Many times I would go hungry, waiting four or more days for someone in town to find marijuana. I became so desperate for relief that I would contemplate driving to a large city like New York and walking the streets until I could find something. Fortunately, each time I almost reached that point, some kind soul would show up with something to get me through. What else is a sick person supposed to do when the only medicine that helps, and is potentially life-saving for her baby, is unavailable? I would much rather go to a store and purchase a product wrapped in a package secured with the seal of the state in which I live than buy from some guy on the street.

Along the way, I discovered the benefits of using marijuana to treat other disorders. At times, I have been plagued by migraines so severe I would wind up in the emergency room. I would receive up to 250 milligrams of Demerol, and sometimes, when Demerol failed, even shots of Dilaudid.

Thanks to my sporadic use of marijuana and a careful dosing regimen, I have not been to an emergency room in more than three years. [in September 1999, the Food and Drug Administration approved an application for a rigorous study designed to investigate the medical efficacy of marijuana on migraine headaches.—Ed.] In addition, I was diagnosed as having Crohn’s disease. After months of tests and treatments for my symptoms, I began using a dosing method similar to what I’d used for migraines, and I found that, once again, marijuana provided more relief than anything else. All in all, I’ve been prescribed more than 30 truly dangerous drugs, yet the only one that has provided relief without the associated risks is one many doctors won’t even discuss, much less recommend.

My history with medicine and with marijuana has been more extensive than average. It is my sincere belief that if the American public were told the truth about marijuana, they could not help but support an immediate end to cannabis prohibition. Even I believed it was dangerous, until I began researching the issue.

What I discovered is that not one person has ever died from smoking marijuana. The same cannot be said for the results of the misuse of some of our most commonly used substances, such as caffeine, aspirin, or vitamin A. In addition, marijuana is no more a “gateway drug” to other substances than is caffeine or alcohol. Most kids try these things long before they experiment with cannabis.

And, finally, unlike such legal drugs as caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol, marijuana is not addictive. As with Twinkies or sex, a user can come to psychologically depend on marijuana’s mood-altering effects; however, no physical addiction is associated with cannabis.

Now I find myself mother to five beautiful, intelligent, creative children for whom I would lay down my life in an instant. I have been blessed with the challenge of helping them grow into responsible, hardworking, and loving adults. I have also been blessed with the challenge of protecting them from a world fraught with dangers.

There are those who would have me believe that, in order to protect my children from drug abuse, I must lie to them; that I must tell them that marijuana is dangerous, with no redeeming qualities. Some say I should go so far as to tell them that it couldn’t possibly be used as a medicine. Then there are those who would say that if I ever find out that my child has experimented with marijuana, I should turn her over to expert authorities in order to impart a lesson. While this does send a message to the child, it is not the message I want to send.

What I teach my children, ages nine and under, about drugs is that medicine comes in many forms, and that children should never touch any medicine (categorized broadly as a pill, liquid, herb, or even caffeinated beverage) unless it is given to them by a trusted adult. My cabinets are full of herbs, such as red raspberry leaves and rosemary, which I use in cooking and as medicines. I have things such as comfrey, which I use externally, that could be dangerous if taken internally. Like all responsible parents, my husband and I keep all medicines, cleaning products, and age-inappropriate items, such as small buttons, out of the reach of our kids and safely locked away.

However, I am aware that the day may come when my kids figure out the trick to the lock, so I add an extra measure of safety by educating them about the honest dangers of using medicines that are not needed. In addition, by sharing my views about the politics behind the issues, I am teaching them another, equally important lesson. As Santa Clara University School of Law Professor Gerald Uelmen stated last year at the medical marijuana giveaway at the City Hall in Santa Cruz, California, “We are teaching our children compassion for the sick and dying; only a twisted and perverted federal bureaucrat could call that the wrong message.”

I have also tried to impart a deep respect for natural healing. By using cool compresses and acupressure for headaches before grabbing a pharmaceutical such as acetaminophen, I’ve taught them the importance of avoiding dependence on drugs. I have shown them the benefits of the wise and careful use of pharmaceuticals by using them when they were my best choice. I try to instill in them a sense of reason and resourcefulness by honestly presenting the answers to their questions and admitting what I do not know, but searching until I find the answer.

When our oldest child overheard my husband and me discussing marijuana prohibition, it opened up a wonderful line of communication about the subject. I gave him a very basic explanation: that marijuana is a plant that can be used as a medicine. I explained that it could be overused and abused, as well. Then I told him that this plant is illegal, and that people who are found to possess marijuana can go to jail. The question I found myself floundering to answer, however, was when he asked, “Why would the police put someone in jail for using medicine?”

It is long past time parents stood up and took notice of the abuses being leveled on our children by well-intentioned but misinformed governing officials. We need honest and responsible drug education that treats children as intelligent pre-adults who are learning how to live full and healthy lives in a dangerous world.

They need every shred of information we can give them, so that they do not choose to huff butane or snort heroin simply because they survived smoking the joint we told them was dangerous, and because they therefore assume we must be lying about the rest.

We need to provide an open line of communication so that, if they ever have to face areas of ambiguity or situations we have neglected to discuss, they will feel comfortable coming to us, and not friends or the Internet, to advise them when they need it most. In order to do this, we must first educate ourselves.

I'm very happy that you found relief in your difficult pregnancy, also congratulations for your miracle. I of course can not relate being a guy, but my wife too had a very difficult pregnancy. She had kidney stones mid way through and well sort of had the opposite reaction that you did by gaining way to much embryonic fluid making it difficult to do anything, and impossible to have a normal pregnancy. She too was hospitalized multiple times in her pregnancy for various reasons. They ended up treating her with morphine which in the end did not hurt our baby, she's very bright and came out 9 pounds +. In all honestly instead of the morphine I would have rather given her a medical brownie.

All of that being said I'm sure that you would agree that meds of any kind during pregnancy are a last resort.

The only correct answer IMHO is independent research, moderation, use, not abuse, and comfort level with risk as with any other medication.

:goodjob::goodjob:

And finally, common sense makes an appearance in this thread. Thank you, Hempcheff, for gently reminding people that it's okay to have an open mind and approach a question without assumptions, biases, and fears that only serve to prevent them from learning the knowledge necessary to overcome said assumptions, biases, and fears.

Thank you, thanks2, for citing that well written article. Great personal example.

And thank you, str8dank, for having the courage to post this question to your community of supportive fellow cannabis users. I was perplexed as I was reading the responses to your question. I didn't realize we had so many medical experts on this site that were still preaching a form of Reefer Madness fundamentalist rhetoric. :roadrage: I can see Anslinger, Hearst, DuPont, Nixon, and Reagan all smiling in their graves. "Excellent. Our propaganda is still effective to this day."

This is MMMA.org, right? I wasn't sure if I made a wrong turn and was on my way to a book burning based on some of those responses. :unsure:

Where's the compassion? A member of our community poses a question-a very valid question-a question that is on ALOT of women's minds, and what I want to know is: why aren't we taking this opportunity to open up an honest, educated, fact based conversation? One void of judgment and preconceived notions. One that cites scientific and anecdotal research. A conversation that is open ended and able to integrate new data as it is rediscovered.

I'll start. Following is an excerpt from The Emperor Wears No Clothes, by Jack Herer. If you are unfamiliar with this tome of research and investigative journalism, I highly suggest you go to JackHerer.com and read it chapter by chapter at your own leisure.

"We now know that on the subject of hemp, disguised as marijuana, Anslinger was a bureaucratic police liar.

For more than 70 years now Americans have been growing up with and accepting Anslinger’s statements on the herb – from violence to evil pacifism and finally to the corrupting influence of music.

Whether this was economically or racially inspired, or even because of up-beat music or some kind of synergistic (combined) hysteria, is impossible to know for sure. But we do know that for the U.S. government, information disseminated on cannabis was then, and continues to be, a deliberate deception.

As you will see in the following chapters, the weight of empirical fact and large amounts of corroborating evidence indicate that the former Reagan/Bush/Quayle administrations, along with their unique pharmaceutical connections, have probably conspired at the highest levels to withhold information and to disinform the public, resulting in the avoidable and needless deaths of tens of thousands of Americans.

And they did it, it seems, intending to save their own investment – and their friends’ – in the pharmaceutical, energy and paper industries; and to give these poisonous, synthetic industries an insane advantage over natural hemp and protect the billions of dollars in annual profits that they stood to lose if the hemp plant and marijuana were not prohibited!

As a result, millions of Americans have wasted millions of years in jail time, and millions of lives have been and continue to be ruined by what started out as Hearst’s, Anslinger’s and DuPont’s shameful economic lies, vicious racial libels and bigoted musical taste."

Please be willing to accept the possibility that you are misinformed with your opinions. Thats all I ask of you. Just to be willing to accept the possibility that maybe you do not have all the answers. That this topic is worth biting your tongue until all the facts have been heard.

Now, as far as medicating while pregnant, I'll cite an article from Amie Newman of Reproductive Health Reality Check.org. (Amie Newman is the Managing Editor for RH Reality Check. She writes regularly about a variety of reproductive and sexual health and justice issues including childbirth, pregnancy, global women's health and rights, and maternal health. Amie's professional advocacy for women started at the Northwest Women's Law Center (now Legal Voice) and continued at Aradia Women's Health Center where, for seven years, she directed the feminist women's health center's communications and outreach activities. Amie was also the Submissions Editor for the amazing publication Our Truths/Nuestras Verdades. Amie lives in Seattle with her family: her designer/musician husband, two beautiful and crazy children, two dogs, two chickens and a pair of fire-bellied toads.)

"When Getting Baked Means More than Just a Bun in the Oven:

Stumble upon any number of online communities for pregnant women and you can't help but find women, mostly in their first trimester, spilling their guts (figuratively) about the fact that they're spilling their guts regularly and feel as if they want to die daily from the nausea, inability to keep down food or drinks and the constant vomiting.

According to the Mayo Clinic's Mary Murry, anywhere between 50 to 90 percent of pregnant women experience some nausea - to varying degrees. For most women, the nausea peaks, says Murry, around nine weeks and ends by about the 18th or 19th week of pregnancy. For five percent of unlucky women, however, it persists until the bitter end. It's hardly surprising. If you've been pregnant or know someone who has, it's likely that the saccharine sweet euphemism "morning sickness" doesn't do justice to what you or your friends have felt. For some pregnant women, the nausea passes quickly and easily. For others it becomes a daily - or even hourly - battle between ones' body and ones' intellectual understanding that if one doesn't consume a crumb of food at some point one will slowly starve or starve ones' poor, growing embryo or fetus. This condition is called hyperemesis gravidarum and the constant vomiting and nausea lead to extreme weight loss and even malnutrition for the woman. It's dangerous.

If there's one theorem I can prove, however, it's this: for every pregnant woman in the world whose experienced any symptom or discomfort under the sun, there a million different suggestions for treatment. But what happens when one of those suggestions is the use of an illegal substance?

When it comes to nausea and vomiting, women experiment to be sure: from prescription medication to concoctions of ginger tea and herbs to acupressure wristbands and more. When you're experiencing what one pregnant woman posting on the Mayo Clinic's pregnancy blog experienced, you're willing to try almost anything.

I'm 13 weeks into this and haven't had a day of peace in over 7 weeks (it was 7 weeks this past Thursday, yes, I'm keeping count). I've been nauseated and throwing up to the point of going in for weekly IVs for 5 weeks now. I couldn't wait to get pregnant and now that I am, I'm miserable and wonder how some women manage to have baby after baby! My poor husband has already succumbed to the idea that this might truly be our only child. My family and friends miss the old me; I miss the old me! The doctors and nurses keep telling me this stage will end soon, but these days seem never-ending. I wake up and dry-heave, I eat and throw it up, then I dry-heave some more and the cycle continues through my work day, and all the way until I get to bed.

Just what does "anything" look like though?

For many women, it looks suspiciously like pot. Marijuana. Cannabis. Because it is.

As one woman commented on the web site Momlogic.com, on a blog post about pregnancy,

During my first pregnancy, I was hospitalized repeatedly for dehydration due to severe hyperemesis," wrote Holly. "Zofran didn't work. I was so sick that I told my husband it was a good thing we didn't own a gun -- and at that point, I wasn't kidding .... Did I eventually break down and try marijuana? You bet. Did it work? Yes. Do I feel guilty about it? Not a single bit.

The drug to which she refers, Zofran, is a prescription drug recommended by some OB-GYNs and midwives to treat nausea in pregnant women. It was originally created for use by chemotherapy patients who suffer from extreme nausea and vomiting especially evident in the aforementioned hyperemesis gravidarum condition. It's true that Zofran works for some women; and, like with Holly, not at all for others. Some women question the safety of the medication, as well. Phenergan is another prescription medication to treat nausea and vomiting. These medications, however, are far from fail safe. Many women find themselves continuing to battle extreme deyhydration and malnutrition and are desperate for relief - even if that relief comes in the form of an illegal drug. Erin Hildebrandt chronicled her experience with life-threatening vomiting and nausea in her five pregnancies in Mothering magazine and the remedy which finally "saved her,"

"...as the nausea and vomiting increased, I began to lose weight. I was diagnosed as having hyperemesis gravidarum, a severe and constant form of morning sickness. I started researching the condition, desperately searching for a solution. I tried wristbands, herbs, yoga, pharmaceuticals, meditation—everything I could think of. Ultimately, after losing 20 pounds in middle pregnancy, and being hospitalized repeatedly for dehydration and migraines, I developed preeclampsia and was told an emergency cesarean was necessary...

"In my second pregnancy...Ten weeks after my first dose [of marijuana[, I had gained 17 pounds over my pre-pregnant weight. I gave beautiful and joyous birth to a 9 pound, 2 ounce baby boy in the bed in which he’d been conceived. I know that using marijuana saved us both from many of the terrible dangers associated with malnutrition in pregnancy."

Marijuana is the most widely used illicit drug, by women of childbearing age in the United States, and it deserves more than a "talk to the hand" from health care providers, legal experts and advocates. It warrants what Lynn Paltrow of the National Advocates for Pregnant Women (NAPW) calls an "actual adult conversation" about the way pregnant women use marijuana for medicinal purposes - and the political and legal systems' move to prosecute pregnant women who may have used marijuana to quell nausea or treat extreme medical conditions.

The use of marijuana - or cannabis - to treat medical conditions is nothing new. Cannabis has been used for thousands of years for medicinal, spiritual and recreational purposes. In 2008, cannabis was found stashed in the tomb of a Chinese shaman from 2700 years ago. Experts hypothesized that it may have been used for medicinal purposes - possibly for pain relief.

Cannabis has also been used throughout ancient history to specifically treat women's reproductive health conditions - from menstrual cramps to the pain of childbirth. In the book Women and Cannabis: Women, Science and Sociology by Drs. Ethan Russo and Melanie Dreher the authors write:

"Cannabis has an ancient tradition of usage as a medicine in obstetrics and gyecology...but will surprise most by its depth of usage." The authors cite, as one example, the Ancient Egyptian mixture of hemp seeds with agents found in beer, to ease the pain of a "difficult chilbirth."

In this day and age, however, marijuana carries with it a heavy reputation. It is, of course, illegal. After more than a century of state and legislative attention to the drug, including a governmental propaganda campaign in the early part of the twentieth century ("Reefer Madness" anyone?), marijuana is placed on par with all other illegal drugs including crack, cocaine and heroine. In the 1980s, thanks to then-President Ronald Reagan, unprecedented criminal penalties for possession and dealing of marijuana were instituted and the "three srtrikes you're out" policy has given rise to an exponential increase in the number of Americans who have been arrested for possession of marijuana. Since then, however, a growing medical marijuana movement has emerged, successfully passing laws which legalize the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes, to varying degrees, in 15 states so far.

We've arrived at point in time where the intersection of strident - and extremely ineffective - drug policy has combined forces, however informally, with an equally strident anti-choice movement which has slowly helped to pass laws which criminalize pregnant women's behavior based on ideology and flimsy medical evidence. In Texas, the "Prenatal Protection Act" considers an embryo or fetus an "unborn child from conception to birth" for the purposes of murder or aggravated assault against a pregnant woman. It means an attacker can be considered for two crimes: one against the pregnant woman and one against her embryo or fetus. But pair that with drug laws like Texas' "Delivery of a Controlled Substance to a Minor," for example, and you have the perfect marriage of propaganda and control.

Alma Baker delivered twins in 2004 and tested positive for marijuana. She admitted that she smoked marijuana to treat nauseau and increase her appetite during her pregnancy. Despite the fact that her children were healthy and developmentally advanced, the Texas D.A. in the county in which Baker lived brought charges against her based on both laws. Baker was placed on probation and fined. Her lawyer had this to say of Baker's felony prosecution:

“This is an end around Roe v. Wade,” he says, “and not a subtle one. By extension, where will we go with this? How about charging obese women or women who smoke with Child Endangerment?"

But, notes Lynn Paltrow, executive director for the National Assocation for Pregnant Women, the more urgent matter may be that these sorts of laws actually discourage pregnant women from seeking care. Alma Baker was clear:

“If I would have known that I’d get in trouble for telling my doctor the truth I would have either lied or not gone to the doctor,” she says.

Most major medical groups including the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American Medical Association - and an increasing number of experts - agree with Paltrow. Paltrow's work over many years, providing extensive, evidence based legal arguments against the prosecution of pregnant women for drug use, is consistently solidified by medical expert evidence and testimony on the effects of prosecuting pregnant women for prenatal marijuana use. But what about medical evidence on the actual, physiological effects of prenatal marijuana exposure on babies?

That's the problem. There isn't much of it.

The medical evidence is sparse given testing and trials involving pregnant women and illegal drug use are not exactly easy to undertake. So organizations and providers obviously tend towards relying on a more consersative framework when discussing which drugs and medications pregnant women can safely use. They also rely on information which seems to lump together women who abuse drugs, with women who may be using marijuana for truly medicinal purposes. Even the March of Dimes web site cannot help but use the limited research on prenatal exposure to marijuana to craft a rather vague informational section on marijuana use during pregnancy:

Some studies suggest that use of marijuana during pregnancy may slow fetal growth and slightly decrease the length of pregnancy (possibly increasing the risk of premature birth). These effects are seen mainly in women who use marijuana regularly (six or more times a week).

In one of the larger studies on prenatal marijuana exposure, published in the journal Pediatrics in 1994, Melanie Dreher, PhD, along with two of her colleagues, undertook an ethnographic study in Jamaica. The research focused on neonatal outcomes from the mothers' marijuana use during pregnancy. Results did not show any differences, at 3 days old and at one month old, between newborns exposed to marijuana in utero and those who hadn't been exposed. Why, Jamaica? From the report,

With regard to the research context, it should be noted that virtually all the studies of prenatal exposure have been conducted in the United States and Canada where marijuana use is primarily recreational. This is in marked contrast to other societies, such as Jamaica, where scientific reports have documented the cultural integration of marijuana and its ritual and medicinal as well as recreational functions. [n14,n15] Previous studies have had difficulty controlling possible confounding effects of factors such as polydrug use, antenatal care, mothers' nutritional status, maternal age, SES and social support, as well as the effects of different caretaking environments, which could lead to differences inneonate behavior. The legal and social sanctions associated with illicit drug use often compromise self-report data and render it almost impossible to obtain accurate prenatal exposure levels. [emphasis added]

In a study carried out in Canada, "Survey of Medicinal Cannabis Use Among Childbearing Women," researchers looked specifically at how 84 women who used marijuana during pregnancy to treat nausea, vomiting and hyperemesis gravidarum rated the effectiveness of "cannabis therapy." The women were recruited through "compassion societies" - where they receive medical marijuana. The authors found that almost all of the women--92 percent--found cannabis to be "extremely effective" or "effective" for treating nausea and vomiting; and suggested that the use of marijuana to treat "severe nausea and vomiting" certainly warranted further investigation.

The evidence may be minimal but some physicians and midwives are suggesting marijuana use for extreme vomiting and nausea during pregnancy - regardless of the state of criminalization. One midwife I spoke with, who preferred that I do not use her name, told me:

"I do encourage moms to use marijuana in moderation and only as needed for extreme nausea and vomiting in early pregnancy. I also tell them that marijuana has an estrogenic effect and that overuse could theoretically disrupt early pregnancy hormones and place someone at risk for miscarriage, but it's not likely."

On Momlogic.com, women share stories of their physicians suggesting marijuana use as well. Writing of her horrific experience with vomiting and nausea during pregnancy, Jessica Katz wrote:

Even though I am taking Zofran again, I am deathly ill. Now, I know that while you're pregnant you are supposed to limit caffeine, stop eating sushi and nitrates and not even touch Excedrin. So you can imagine my surprise when my doctor suggested marijuana as a treatment for morning sickness. I was floored. I am pretty sure that you are not supposed to do drugs in general, let alone when you are carrying a child. Don't they take your kids away from you if you do drugs while you are pregnant?

I went home and Googled this remedy. Could it be real? I found page after page of moms saying they'd used medical marijuana to treat their severe morning sickness, and that it had worked.

Other pregnant women on the site rushed to tell her she wasn't alone:

"If I [hadn't smoked] marijuana when I was pregnant with my second child, I would have never eaten," wrote Anonymous. "The smell [and] taste of food made me so sick I couldn't stand it. I didn't do much -- just a small hit, and then I was fine. If [your doctor] said it will help, believe him."

On Babycenter,com, when one of their "pregnancy experts" dared to suggest that marijuana use during pregnancy, was shown to be unsafe through studies, and equated it with smoking tobacco, currently and formerly pregnant women rose up, to dispute his claims:

I SUFFERED FROM THROWING UP, NOT BEING ABLE TO DIGEST ANY FOOD AND EVERYTHING ELSE ASSOCIATED W/ MORNING SICKNESS & THE ONLY THING THAT RELIEVED ME FROM IT WAS IF I SMOKED A LITTLE WEED.

I am a toxicologist, and nothing saddens me more than patronizing "professionals" like Mr. Briggs who present unsubstantiated speculations as facts. It is far too easy in this society to scare women with such misinformation...

My message to the Mr. Briggs of the world is to stop patronizing women and admit that it is HIGHLY likely given the generations of people born to women who smoked marijuana (or had a couple beers for pete's sake!) during pregnancy, that this is not a 'drug' worth demonizing.

But when pregnant women do resort to utilizing cannabis to treat extreme vomiting, appetite problems and malnutrition, they may be placing themselves in danger - not only in terms of the criminalization of possession in states where medical marijuana is not legal. They are leaving themselves open to being drug tested after their baby is born and then potentially prosecuted for child abuse and neglect. It's the "Alma Baker' scenario mentioned above. Says the midwife with whom I spoke:

"I counsel women that if there is a hospital transfer and the hospital conducts a drug test that she could be placing herself and her baby at risk of some unwanted intervention."

In states where medical marijuana laws apply, pregnant women are allowed to use marijuana to treat pregnancy related symptoms. Sabrina Fendrick of NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) Women's Alliance told RH Reality Check that just because a pregnant woman is allowed to access marijuana for medicinal purposes in those states where it's legal, it doesn't necessarily mean that she'll be automatically protected when it comes to drug testing, however. And in those states where marijuana use is illegal, Fendrick says she receives emails "at least once a week" from mothers who are in danger of losing their children after having tested positive for marijuana use after giving birth.

In South Carolina in 2009, a mother who had used marijuana during pregnancy was prosecuted for child abuse and no less than three medical experts came to her defense to decry the lack of any evidence of physiological, emotional or mental effects from the marijuana use. Dr. Deborah Frank, Harvard educated, Board certified in Pediatrics, and a Professor of Pediatrics at Boston University's School of Medicine not only found no evidence of abuse but said the child "appeared to be doing very well" and was developing in a positive way. Dr. Peter Fried, a PhD in Psychology and a retired Professor from Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada has done extensive research on prenatal exposure to marijuana. Though he's found some potentially negative effects, in this case, he stated clearly that "to characterize an infant born to a woman who used marijuana during pregnancy as 'physically abused" and/or neglected is contrary to all scientific evidence. The use of marihuana during pregnancy has not been shown by any objective research to result in abuse or neglect."

This isn't a question of whether or not marijuana can be used as a medicinal for particular, chronic, extreme conditions during pregnancy. Pregnant woman around the world are already doing what they need to - to keep themselves happy and to keep their fetuses growing and healthy. Physicians and and midwives recognize the medicinal properties and prescribe the use of marijuana in certain cases as well. Citizens are fighting to pass laws which do the same. Reproductive justice advocates may be understandably nervous about a potential alliance with advocates who work on drug policy issues. Considering anti-choice politics make it next to impossible to engage in an evidence-based discussion on the risks vs. benefits of medicinal marijuana in pregnancy, it's extraordinarly difficult to have the "adult conversation" advocates like Lynn Paltrow work so hard to sustain. Laws that serve only to control the lives of pregnant and parenting women, at the expense of both women's and children's health and safety, are born from anti-choice legislators and advocates. In the now, we have pregnant women in this country that are either forced to turn to illegal drugs in order to experience relief from, at times, a life-threatening condition or find themselves embroiled in a legal system which seems to prioritize laws in the abstract over what's truly in the best interest of mother and child."

So there you go. Thats my contribution to this conversation. Those are two of the best bits of information that I could find on the topic and I present them to the community at large to interpret as you please.

First..........

The female body produces THC and secretes it in her breast milk.

1. to encourage the child to want to eat.

2. to help for a bond between mother and child.

This is WITHOUT using cannabis!

I as a female, would use if needed Cannabis to help with many medical issues.

1. Nausea

2. Pain

3. Sleeplessness

Perhaps others I am not thinking of now. All things that would greatly affect the child being carried if left untreated.

I agree that smoking would not be the best way to medicate.

I believe it is up to the mother and father and what they are comfortable with.

How many pregnant women still smoke cigarettes?

That is wayyyyyy more harmful to a fetus.

Yes, I believe it is safer to ingest in any manner than half the things the government tells us its ok to take/eat/use my wife smoked 5-8 fat joints everyday of high quality marc emery direct genetics(the mid 90's were awesome). the original cup winning white rhino and several other true 20%+ thc strains, through 3 pregnancy's and my children are at the top of their classes, they were always accelerated in every aspect of growth. I believe these NAZI funded studies show exactly what they want them to show...LIES. BS that tries to corrupt the views of unknowing people and control the masses. There are many medicinal benefits to cannabis and would rather my children intake a natural substance versus a pill made from a labratory that has severe DNA damaging abilities. The ONLY medication my disabled wife and I take is cannabis....the purest cure..

Sorry some people dont deserve to have children!

That is the stupidest question i have ever read on here!

ding ding ding ding!

we have a winner! :growl:

Mod Removed name calling

who asked for your opinion? i was asking about medical information not someone who obviously has a iq lower then the temp outside today. the question was about asking for medical related information pertaining to this subject. MMJ is called a miracle drug all of the time by everyone everywhere who supports it and talked about no negative effects whatsoever so i wanted to know if there was any documented information pertaining to this available. i would not condone this without proper medical recommendation and proven studies.

people like you are the reason i dont come to the MMMA site and stick to the main sites that are just MJ and not MMJ seems like 90% of the medical community is just a bunch of ornery (fill in the blanks) for no reason. there are to many of your type here you all need to go play in the hwy.

that your real pic in your avi? I'm betting it is because you look just like what you are, a troll.....

thanks for the replies that from you who have some sense!

WillyWonka i wanted to thank you directly for your comments its appreciated. my wife had no intentions of doing this she does medicate but it just arose in conversation was there any information about any studies or information when talking about pregnancy. i would never gamble with my child's health my kids are very spoiled and loved with personal tutors, no expense spared trips to Disney world, extra curricular activities etc. my wife played collegiate sports and was a personal trainer and does not eat any red meats and has 5 college degrees. i guess that's more info then needed my point was I'm not some young kid just wanting to get high asking questions and honestly i dont even care to smoke much i have a passion for growing and she smokes moderately but of course quit the second she found out she was pregnant. Her getting pregnant made me think of those that rely so heavily on MMJ for pain control what their options were and if research or any controlled studies has been completed that were worth mentioning.

I don't think it's a bad question, I wouldn't want to criticize anyone for just asking a question. I really don't think that there has been enough studies on the subject to give a very well informed answer. It's just my opinion that it should be a last resort, like any other medication while pregnant. If you can't eat and the baby's goin to die you better do something about it, or if you are in such bad pain you can't move 2 inches then weigh all of your options and choose the best course of action. Seems like common sense to me.

Archived