Storage Of Product

Justatonysmokefan

I need your help. I need a solution to my problem, I am storing some of my product in vacuum sealed pint sized mason jars and other in quart sized vacuum sealed jars. The buds have been handled with latex gloves. The problem I am having is that the quart sized jars have a real nasty odor to them. Any suggestions as to why??

Could it be the strain??? HELP!!!! This is going to affect my quality.

What kind of odor? Mold? Ammonia? Did you clean your jars with bleach or detergent and not rinse them well?

The jars were rinsed out with rubbing alcohol, then washed in bleach water, rinsed and then boiled.

I would have to describe the odor as not ammonia or mold. The strain is AK-47, when you open the jar it smells fine. It's the jar itself after you remove the buds that smells like nasty donkey.

I need your help. I need a solution to my problem, I am storing some of my product in vacuum sealed pint sized mason jars and other in quart sized vacuum sealed jars. The buds have been handled with latex gloves. The problem I am having is that the quart sized jars have a real nasty odor to them. Any suggestions as to why??

Could it be the strain??? HELP!!!! This is going to affect my quality.

You seem to indicate that the odor is not strain related (unfamiliar smell) or cure related (pints were fine). You do mention using bleach, though.... Bleach combined with certain other household cleaners produces a deadly gas that stinks like crazy (here i go again, scaring the villagers...) I think a small amount of chemicals seeped into the plastic lid material, and when you exerted a vacuum against it, it leached back into the jar.

This stuff is really noxious (i have produced this stuff myself doing an overly thorough cleaning of the bathtub), it was used in battle in WWI (before being banned) and is now starring in a popular suicide method around the world. Unless you practice the Kevorkian methodology of Pharmacy, i would not recommend providing this as medicine to any patient.*

*just ONE case like this hits the media and you can kiss the whole thing goodbye... (facepalm2)

course' it could just be plain old botulism! lol

My curing was hit-or-miss until I found a way to measure the proper curing moisture:

Step 1: buy a small, accurate hygrometer to measure moisture content. The 'Caliber III' is about $20 at Amazon.com.

caliber3.jpg

Step 2: Read this thread at icmag.com: 'A Perfect Cure Every Time'

Basically, the idea is to buy a few of those small humidity meters and place them in some of the jars holding your medicine. Aim for curing at around 55-60% humidity, for the best curing process without excessive risk of mold.

Just speaking for myself, but I couldn't get too close to the proper humidity level without measuring it. Occasionally I'll jar the medicine at 50% or less in-jar humidity (oops, let it dry out too much before jarring), or at 70% humidity (oops, not ready to seal up the jars yet).

edit: Oh, treehugger mentioned the jar lids -- I like to replace them frequently. Easy and they're pretty cheap. You can buy a box of lids most anywhere the jars are available.

My curing was hit-or-miss until I found a way to measure the proper curing moisture:

Step 1: buy a small, accurate hygrometer to measure moisture content. The 'Caliber III' is about $20 at Amazon.com.

caliber3.jpg

Step 2: Read this thread at icmag.com: 'A Perfect Cure Every Time'

Basically, the idea is to buy a few of those small humidity meters and place them in some of the jars holding your medicine. Aim for curing at around 55-60% humidity, for the best curing process without excessive risk of mold.

Just speaking for myself, but I couldn't get too close to the proper humidity level without measuring it. Occasionally I'll jar the medicine at 50% or less in-jar humidity (oops, let it dry out too much before jarring), or at 70% humidity (oops, not ready to seal up the jars yet).

edit: Oh, treehugger mentioned the jar lids -- I like to replace them frequently. Easy and they're pretty cheap. You can buy a box of lids most anywhere the jars are available.

Awesome info.

I just ordered 2 meters from Amazon. :D

I just love driving continuous improvement into the process.

Awesome info.

I just ordered 2 meters from Amazon. :D

I just love driving continuous improvement into the process.

Got these the other day.

Totally awesome!:thumbsu:

Using the meter and the procedure I found that I'm letting my buds get a bit too dry before jarring them.

Mmmmm, process control :jig:

Good to hear, Frank!

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person who seems to be moisture-sensing-impaired.

I don't think you need dozens of these little meters, I actually only have one left that still works (spilled water on the others). I just rotate it through the jars, leaving it in each jar for a day or so to equalize, then jotting down the humidity % and the date on the jar for the start of curing.

Archived