Friend Or Foe Of The Medical Marijuana Community.

I nominate 2 more Foes:

Senator Darwin Booher ( R )-35th district (NW region of the LP)

FOE because he introduced SB 377, which would require the names of cardholders to be sent to the Department of State Police.

Rep. George Darany (D)-Dearborn

FOE because he introduced HB 4661, which would make it a felony to cultivate marijuana within 500 feet of a school, daycare center, or church.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I nominate 2 more Foes:

Senator Darwin Booher ( R )-35th district (NW region of the LP)

FOE because he introduced SB 377, which would require the names of cardholders to be sent to the Department of State Police.

Rep. George Darany (D)-Dearborn

FOE because he introduced HB 4661, which would make it a felony to cultivate marijuana within 500 feet of a school, daycare center, or church.

There are cosponsors on those bills that need to be on the list also.

There are cosponsors on those bills that need to be on the list also.

For HB4661 I just called the offices of Darany, Lindberg, and Santana and asked about the exemption for private citizens to cultivate MMJ within the 500' limit.

They said the legislation was target at dispensaries, much like the provision for distance limits on bars that serve alcohol.

I firmly stated that individual citizens must be able to cultivate MMJ per the constitutional rights afforded by the MMMA.

I also stated I was very disappointed to see Democrats attempting to restrict the constitutional rights of private citizens.

All the staffers said this was the first they'd heard of anyone having an issue with the bills language :rolleyes:

Edited by Frank R

We have to look at our local elected city counsils and township boards of trustees as well. If you can get strong support from your local elected officials you will find that the ones higher up the "food chain" will usually be easier to work with. They lean on "us" locals to encourage our residents to vote for them as well.

Dizz

We have to look at our local elected city counsils and township boards of trustees as well. If you can get strong support from your local elected officials you will find that the ones higher up the "food chain" will usually be easier to work with. They lean on "us" locals to encourage our residents to vote for them as well.

Dizz

dizz, how come hopgood is so wrong on sb377? Can his mind be changed?

The officials are receiving copies of letters other states have sent to the DOJ there is an attorney who has written an opinion based on the controlled substance act. He has found a way to spin MM and anything related to it as illegal. Read my thread on townships receive threatening letters from feds. I posted all the info there including link to this attorneys web site. He is a force the feds and states will listen to. We have a hard fight ahead of us.

• 2 weeks later...

FOE...

Oakland Circuit Judge Wendy Potts

Foe because she granted a motion from prosecutors seeking to preclude Agro from referencing the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act during the trial.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2011/06/medical_marijuana_lawyer_expec.html

O/T, i have difficulty finding this thread using both the Advanced/Search features. Can someone send me tips for using it to find this thread?

Edited by legacy

• 2 weeks later...

Foes in the Michigan Senate:

Rick Jones, Darwin Booher, Glenn Anderson, Mike Nofs, John Pappageorge, Hoon-Yung Hopgood, Goeffrey Hansen, John Proos.

Foes for supporting SB377... removing patient privacy approved in the MMMA.

Other foes for supporting SB418 in opposition to the MMMA... James Marleau, Arlan Meekhof, Tory Rocca, Tonya Schuitmaker.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28f2v3xjnsfbtfboalb00ann45%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=2011-SB-0418

I'm glad to say one of these enemies-of-democracy won't be getting my vote come election time.

Edited by legacy

Foe - U. S. Senator Stabenow. Her form letter states that she believes a 2001 Supreme Court ruling trumps any states's medical marijuana act and says that marijuana is an illegal and dangerous Schedule 1 drug.

We have the voting power to make the changes needed at the state and local levels. A politician who is not a friend to the sick and dieing is no friend to me and will not get my vote.

One thing that has to change and i have no idea how it would be done is to out-law all lobbying at all levels of government.

During the health care debate in 09 lobbyists for the medical professions spent hundreds of millions of dollars in DC

=======================================================================================================================

Revealed: millions spent by lobby firms fighting Obama health reforms

Six lobbyists for every member of Congress as healthcare industry heaps cash on politicians to water down legislation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/01/lobbyists-millions-obama-healthcare-reform

America's healthcare industry has spent hundreds of millions of dollars to block the introduction of public medical insurance and stall other reforms promised by Barack Obama. The campaign against the president has been waged in part through substantial donations to key politicians.

Supporters of radical reform of healthcare say legislation emerging from the US Senate reflects the financial power of vested interests ‑ principally insurance companies, pharmaceutical firms and hospitals ‑ that have worked to stop far-reaching changes threatening their profits.

The industry and interest groups have spent $380m (£238m) in recent months influencing healthcare legislation through lobbying, advertising and in direct political contributions to members of Congress. The largest contribution, totaling close to $1.5m, has gone to the chairman of the senate committee drafting the new law.

A former member of Bill Clinton's cabinet says fears that the industry could throw its money behind the populist rightwing backlash against public insurance have scared the Obama White House into pulling back from the most significant reforms in return for healthcare companies not trying to scupper the entire legislation.

Drug and insurance companies say they are merely seeking to educate politicians and the public. But with industry lobbyists swarming over Capitol Hill ‑ there are six registered healthcare lobbyists for every member of Congress ‑ a partner in the most powerful lobbying firm in Washington acknowledged that healthcare firms' money "has had a lot of influence" and that it is "morally suspect".

Reform groups say vast spending, and the threat of a lot more being poured into advertisements against the administration, has helped drug companies ensure there will be no cap on the prices they charge for medicines ‑ one of the ways the White House had hoped to keep down surging healthcare costs.

Insurance companies have done even better as the new legislation will prove a business bonanza. It is not only likely to kill off the threat of public health insurance, which threatened to siphon off customers by offering lower premiums and better coverage, but will force millions more people to take out private medical policies or face prosecution.

"It's a total victory for the health insurance industry," said Dr Steffie Woolhander, a GP, professor of medicine at Harvard University and co-founder of Physicians for a National Health Programme (PNHP).

"What the bill has done is use the coercive power of the state to force people to hand their money over to a private entity which is the private insurance industry. That is not what people were promised."

PNHP blames a political process it says is corrupted by millions of dollars poured into the election campaigns of members of Congress and influencing the discourse about health reform by funding advertising campaigns, supposedly independent studies and patients rights organisations that press the industry's interests.

A primary target of criticism is Senator Max Baucus, the single largest recipient of health industry political donations and chairman of the finance committee that drafted the legislation criticised by Woolhander.

The committee this week twice voted against including public insurance in the legislation, with Baucus opposing it both times.

Baucus took $1.5m from the health sector for his political fund in the past year. Other members of the committee have received hundreds of thousands of dollars. They include Senator Pat Roberts, who last week tried to stall the bill by arguing that lobbyists needed three days to read it.

Baucus holds dinners for health industry executives at which they pay thousands of dollars each to be at the table, and an annual fly-fishing and golfing weekend in his home state of Montana that lobbyists pay handsomely to attend. They have included John Jonas, who represents healthcare firms for Patton Boggs, widely regarded as the top lobbying firm in Washington. Jonas, who formerly worked on the congressional staff, acknowledges that political contributions are intended to buy influence and says it works.

"It would be very naive to say they're not influenced. The contributors certainly hope they're influencing and the recipients probably ultimately are influenced," he said. "I think it's a morally suspect practice, and then you have to look at its application to see if it's morally bankrupt ... I think what's bad about the system is it's got more and more lax over time.

"When I started in this practice you did not talk issues at a fundraiser. It was impolite. And then with this need for money, the system has got coarser over time so that they go around the room asking what issues you're interested in, much more of a linkage of dollars to a discussion of the issues now."

The health industry permeates the process in other ways. At Baucus's side, drafting much of the wording of the reform, was Liz Fowler, a senate committee counsel whose last position was vice-president of the country's largest health insurer, Wellpoint, which stands to be a principal beneficiary of the new law.

Health companies and their lobby firms also recruit heavily among congressional staffers as a means of maintaining influence.

Baucus declines to discuss political donations but told Montana's Missoulian newspaper earlier this year that "no one gets special treatment".

Robert Reich, the labour secretary in the Clinton administration, says the Obama White House, mindful of how the health industry killed off Clinton's attempts at reform, has grown so fearful of industry money that it has quietly reached agreement to pull back from price caps and public health insurance.

"The White House made a Faustian bargain with big pharma and big insurance, essentially scuttling both of these profit-squeezing mechanisms in return for these industries' agreement not to oppose healthcare legislation with platoons of lobbyists and millions of dollars of TV ads."

The pharmaceutical companies are apparently pleased enough that they are now putting $120m into advertising supporting the emerging legislation.

Jonas described the bill emerging from the Senate as "in realm of what is politically possible".

"Is the bill overly distorted by money? I don't think it actually is," he said. "It's a good bill in the sense that it's a net improvement in the system ... [but] it's a bad bill if you think it's supposed to be a comprehensive solution to the US healthcare problems."

U.S. Congressman John D. Dingell appears to support medical marijuana.

Following is an email that I sent to him and his reply. My email is a slight modification to the sample one posted on the StoptheDrugWar.org website. Please take a couple of minutes to send an email and make your wishes known.

Thank you for using StoptheDrugWar.org Mail System.

Message sent to the following recipients:

Representative Dingell

Message text follows:

June 13, 2011

Representative Dingell:

Please, please, we need your help to stop the war on Michigan's legitimate

medical marijuana patients!! The people want this war against medical

marijuana to end but we can't stop it without your vote.

On May 25, 2011, a bipartisan group of US congressmen introduced three new

medical marijuana bills. H.R. 1983 would exempt people complying with

state medical marijuana laws from federal arrest and prosecution. H.R.

1984 would protect banks accepting deposits made by medical marijuana

dispensaries. And H.R. 1985 would allow the dispensaries to deduct

business expenses on their federal taxes like any other business, putting

an end to dozens of industry IRS audits already underway.

Please do all you can to pass these three important bills. It is

outrageous that in 2011, with public support in the 70-80% range and more

and more states enacting medical marijuana laws, the federal government

continues to put patients in danger by threatening them with prosecution.

Thank you for taking action on this legislation.

Sincerely,

xxxx

The reply from U. S. Congessman Dingell

Dear xxxx:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 1983, the States' Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

I empathize with your desire to provide comfort to patients with life-threatening diseases. For a significant number of seriously ill patients, including patients suffering from AIDS, cancer, multiple sclerosis and chronic pain, among others, traditional medicine cannot always effectively bring relief from symptoms as easily as medicinal marijuana can.

In 2005, the Supreme Court ruled in Gonzales v. Raich that the federal Controlled Substances Act superseded California's law permitting marijuana for medicinal purposes. The Court reasoned that Congress had the power to regulate the cultivation and use of medical marijuana by patients by virtue of its ability to regulate interstate commerce.

Thirteen states have enacted laws legalizing medical marijuana. In the past I have supported efforts to allow states to implement such laws. Currently, however, patients who use marijuana in these states are subject to federal prosecution. Under the Bush Administration, the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) refused to recognize these state laws and continues to investigate and arrest, under federal statute, medical marijuana providers and users in those states and elsewhere. President Barack Obama and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder have supported their campaign pledge by claiming that such operations will no longer be conducted.

As you may know, Representative Barney Frank (D-MA) introduced H.R. 1983 on May 25, 2011. This legislation provides for the medical use of marijuana in accordance with the laws of the various states. It also instructs the DEA to reclassify marijuana as either a Class III or Class IV substance, which would be subject to less stringent penalties. H.R. 1983 was referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, of which I am a senior member. You can rest assured I will keep your comments in mind as the Energy and Commerce Committee moves forward.

Again, thank you for being in touch. For news on current federal legislative issues, please visit my website at www.house.gov/dingell; you can also sign up there to receive my e-newsletter. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me again if I may be of assistance with this or any other matter of concern.

With every good wish,

Sincerely yours,

John D. Dingell

Member of Congress

Lobbying your government is a Constitutional right.

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Always surprises me when people are fervent to give away a Constitutional Right. Better regulation of Lobbying and removing Corporations from personhood may be an 'ok' route.

• 3 weeks later...

FOE

Dearborn (19th district) Chief Judge Mark Somers

He refused to dismiss marijuana charges against a man who was prescribed the drug, asserting that the state law permitting it is unconstitutional.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/33119-controversial-dearborn-judge-mark-somers-could-cost-city-millions/

Edited by legacy

You can add Kurt Heise to the Nay List:

Sent him this letter on the 4th and have gotten nothing back:

AND HERE'S WHY!!

Dear Rep, Heise

Please vote yes on HR2306, the "Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011". The federal government has much more important priorities and it could be using scarce resources, for which are still being used to continue a disintegrating prohibition against marijuana. As more states are passing initiatives for medical use by a large percentage of citizens, and more people believe in regulating its use, whether for medical or not, the federal government must discontinue its restrictive policies and allow states their sovereign right to pass and implement their own laws.

Sincerely,

later in further researching him I find this: AGAIN HERE'S WHY!

No wonder I haven't heard anything.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I DID receive this from Debbie Stabenow :

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting me about the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes. I understand your concern for seriously ill patients and their suffering, and I appreciate hearing your views on this matter.

As you may know, on May 14, 2001, the United States Supreme Court issued a ruling regarding medical marijuana. The decision states that the federal law regarding the distribution of marijuana supersedes state laws in this matter. The Supreme Court ruled that since marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug, its distribution is not legal under federal law.

If any legislation related to medical marijuana use comes before me for a vote, I will keep your concerns in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 14, 2011

Dear Senator Carl Levin:

On May 25, 2011, a bipartisan group of US congressmen introduced three new

medical marijuana bills. H.R. 1983 would exempt people complying with

state medical marijuana laws from federal arrest and prosecution. H.R.

1984 would protect banks accepting deposits made by medical marijuana

dispensaries. And H.R. 1985 would allow the dispensaries to deduct

business expenses on their federal taxes like any other business, putting

an end to dozens of industry IRS audits already underway.

Please support companion legislation to these bills in the Senate, and do

all you can to pass these three important bills. It is outrageous that in

2011, with public support in the 70-80% range and more and more states

enacting medical marijuana laws, the federal government continues to put

patients in danger by threatening them with prosecution and by blocking

the progress of the industry.

Thank you for taking action on this important medical issue which is also

an important issue of justice.

Sincerely,

and This from Carl Levin:

Dear :

Thank you for contacting me about H.R.1983, the States' Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act. I am glad you shared your views with me.

As this session of Congress proceeds, the Senate will confront new legislation addressing many important and timely issues. Should legislation related to this issue come before the full Senate, I will certainly keep your views in mind.

The most effective way to track the progress of an issue or a particular piece of legislation is through the use of my website [http://levin.senate.gov] or the Library of Congress legislative information website [http://thomas.loc.gov/]. Many of my constituents have found these sites to be valuable tools to find current information about projects I am working on, as well as about Congress in general.

Sincerely,

Carl Levin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I think I may have sent something like this to Obama... by way of the STOPTHEDRUGWAR.ORG WEBSITE

July 11, 2011

[recipient address was inserted here]

[recipient name was inserted here],

I am concerned and disappointed that President Obama has broken the

promise that candidate Obama made to respect state medical marijuana laws.

While the federal government is not targeting patients themselves, the

Dept. of Justice has taken measures that if continued will make it

difficult for patients to obtain marijuana safely and legally. This is

counterproductive and unjust.

Please respect patients' right to medical marijuana and the right of

states to provide for safe and legal access to it -- please stop the DOJ's

attacks on medical marijuana organizations that are operating in

compliance with state law -- as you promised you would do.

Sincerely,

So yeah...There's these.

Edited by medicinejeff

You can add Kurt Heise to the Nay List:

Sent him this letter on the 4th and have gotten nothing back:

AND HERE'S WHY!!

Medicinejeff,

I couldn't agree more. I've always thought that if drug forfeiture money went to the state's general fund rather than to the police & prosecutors, that they would care less about maintaining prohibition.

IMO, it would be 10 times faster to end prohibition by first changing the forfeiture laws. Unfortunately all the momentum appears to be going towards fighting prohibition head-on.

Edited by legacy

The Clueless Judge George S. Buth in Kent County.

And of course...

The Astroturfing Judge Peter D. O'Connell of the Michigan Court of Appels.

That is only because his drug of choice is cocaine. This was common street knowledge from Mt. Pleasant, where he started.....

Add Tim Melton to the maybe pile? He is a Democrat for Pontiac/Auburn Hills and is term-limited out in 2012. I have written him multiple letters in the last two weeks and have yet to receive a response. I don't want to automatically call him a foe since I don't know WHAT his position is, but I'd call him a wild card at best, since he couldn't really care less who I vote for...

Foe

Wayne County Circuit Judge Wendy Baxter

She rejected the ACLU lawsuit claiming that the MMMA is preempted by the Controlled Substances Act... even though the U.S. Supreme Court (in 2007/2008) has previously overwhelmingly destroyed the allegations by California state law enforcement that, "Federal law trumps state laws on medical marijuana."

see mayorshaggy37's post

• 2 weeks later...

More foes lining up...

Rep John Walsh ( R ) Livonia

Cass County Prosecutor Victor Fitz

Saginaw County Prosecutor Michael Thomas

Eaton County Sheriff Mike Raines

Clinton County Sheriff Wayne Kangas

Berrien Springs Oronoko Township Police Chief Milton Agay

Lt. Col. Gary Gorski of the Michigan State Police

These guys are foes for supporting Schuette / his push to criminalize activities relating to the MMMA.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/33695-ag-to-give-press-release/page__view__findpost__p__320012

FRIEND OR FOE OF THE MEDICAL MARIJUANA COMMUNITY.

THE FINAL DESTINATION FOR OPPONENTS OF THE MICHIGAN MEDICAL MARIHUANA ACT.

It has been talked about way too long, and the time has finally come. People need to know who is a friend and who is a foe of the Medical Marihuana Act. This site and this thread, with the communities help will be the final destination for all those that rely upon our vote to remain elected officials.

With a little organization we could collectively produce the voting block/slate, statewide, at all levels of government that represents this communities best interests.

I am proposing in this thread, we list the significant and relevant information regarding the elected officials: jurisdiction, when they were elected, length of their term, party affiliation and most significantly when they are up for election next. As we get closer to the various elections dates, a simple search of this thread should provide valuable information for our community to make intelligent choices of who is a friend and who is a foe.

Also, this will be a good place to share information, and stories, good or bad of how elected officials are treating members of our community. It may even be a little therapeutic to vent, or praise when appropriate.

If you know of a Judge who has made it clear that they are opposing the MMMA, let's call them out, right here, for our community to know and be informed. Each of Judges should know that we are talking about them, researching their positions, and targeting one thing and one thing only- to gather votes to remove them from office. I would suggest that we have more than enough people in this community to get the job done. This list should start now, and within the coming year we will be able to clearly identify who can stay and who needs to go.

“WE WILL DECIDE WHO IS GOING TO STAY AND WHO HAS GOT TO GO”

For the legislative branch of Government, state and local levels.

If you go to a city hall meeting, take names, take numbers, on this thread, let others know who the friends and the foes are. Identify where they hold their power, and when they will be asking for our vote to retain them.

Blueberry has already provided the software for the letter writing campaign to our State Legislature. We should use this feature to send letters to each of the newly elected, and incumbent officials and give them a designation of either friend or foe depending on their response. At various times, we can send them the statistics of the number of people that are viewing the posted information on our site. Then they will know that we are not playing around.

“WE WILL DECIDE WHO IS GOING TO STAY AND WHO HAS GOT TO GO”

Together we can help shape the outcome of our future.

Name:

Jurisdiction:

Elected Position:

Length of Term:

Year of Next Election:

Friend:

Or

Foe:

Michael A. Komorn

Attorney and Counselor

Law Office of Michael A. Komorn

3000 Town Center, Suite, 1800

Southfield, MI 48075

800-656-3557 (Toll Free)

248-351-2200 (Office)

248-357-2550 (Phone)

248-351-2211 (Fax)

Email: michael@komornlaw.com

Check out our Radio show:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

NEW CALL IN NUMBER: (347) 326-9626

Live Every Wednesday 8-10:00p.m.

PLANET GREENTREES

w/ Attorney Michael Komorn

The most relevant radio talk show for the Michigan Medical Marijuana Community. PERIOD.

If you have a medical marihuana question or comment, please email them to me, or leave them on the forum for the MMMA, and I will try to answer them live on the air.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

PLANET GREENTREES Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Can someone email us the software for letter writing campaigns please, we would love to be able to assist and promote that to all the patients that have seend over the last two years please. Our email is michigancertification@gmail.com

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

FOE

Not sure if elected or not, but COA Judge Cynthia Stephens is a foe because she is legislating from the bench, taking a bizarre interpretation of the MMMA and outlawing P2P.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/34013-mich-appeals-court-slays-dispensaries/

(Judges Hoekstra and Murray are already on this thread)

Edited by legacy

Friends?

A few people in this article made some positive statements towards respecting the spirit of the MMMA. Actions speak louder than words, so we'll have to wait and see if they follow through on what they said.

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton

Burton Mayor Paula Zelenko

Flint City Attorney Peter Bade

Most of the Thetford Township Board

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/34136-genesee-county-community-officials-not-making-a-move-to-shut-down-medical-marijuana-dispensaries-in-the-area/

Here is the response I received from Rudy Hobbs. I take it as a positive response.

Thank you for contacting me about SB 377 and HB 4661.

You make some compelling arguments against legislation that would restrict the will of the voters who passed Proposal 1 in 2008. I believe there is room for the Legislature to act to prevent large-scale abuse within the system, but this proposed legislation targets law-abiding citizens and may go too far in attempting to address potential discrepancies between state law and the initial proposal.

Thank you again for contacting me to express your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact me again via e-mail or at 517.373.1788 should any other issue arise and let me know if you would like to sign up for my e-newsletter on legislative activities. I work for you.

Sincerely,

Rudy Hobbs

State Representative, District 35

Assistant Democratic Floor Leader