Marty Knollenberg District 41, Troy

hofner67

http://www.gophouse.com/readarticle.asp?id=6575&District=41

UPDATE: KNOLLENBERG INTRODUCES LEGISLATION TO STOP FELONS SELLING POT IN MICHIGAN

June 24, 2010

State Rep. Marty Knollenberg today formally introduced legislation to stop convicted felons from selling medical marijuana in Michigan.

"Proper care and consideration should be exerted when implementing the new medical marijuana standards to make sure that the public is protected," said Knollenberg, R-Troy. "Selling medical marijuana requires a license from the state, and the state shouldn't be in the practice of licensing felons."

Knollenberg said that currently, obtaining a license to distribute medical marijuana in Michigan is as simple as filling out an application and submitting it to the Department of Community Health. Felons who have committed drug-related offenses are prohibited from obtaining a license.

House Bill 6299 closes the loophole in state law to prohibit any felon from selling or distributing medical marijuana in Michigan, regardless of whether it is a drug-related incident.

The need for the legislation came from a local judge, who notified Knollenberg of a case where a convicted sex offender was selling medical marijuana legally under current state law.

its of my personal belief, i would much RATHER have a Felon, convicted of a Non Violent Drug Offence, have the ability to be a CG, before a Child Molester/Pedifile, Armed Robber, Murder, ect get the ability. in not talking about the guy who was 20, when he married his pregant 17 yr old girlfriend without mom and dads consent. or the guy/gal that was in the middle of protecting themselves or their family/friends ect when something serious went down in the event of some fight like aggravated assult.. ect.

but a Convicted Child Molester/Pedifile, Or Violent Murderer, or ruthless theif should Never have the right to be a CG to care for someone with medical issues.

imo, this is the one section of the law, that needs to be changed 180*, to allow a guy who got busted with a few ozs, back in 97 or 2002 ect. to be able to be a CG, chances are, they were also being a CG then, just totally illegal before the passage of the act.

jm2c on this perticular issue. i dont think ALL felons deserves exlcustion, thus it should be on a case by case basis. Fact is, people DO learn from their mistakes, and if they can absoluty prove they are not the same person they were when they were Punished for their indiscretions, then as a good human, i see no legal reason why they should NOT be allowed to be a CG.

ill leave with this last ?

would you rather have a guy that has intimate knowledge of you and yours, taking care of your meds needs, that was once convicted of selling pot, or just having it, or someone that was say convicted of molesting 8 yr old girls?

Well...if your care giver is a child molester or rapist, you know their name...you could just look for them on the registry. And I suggest you do.

If Knollenberg is soo concerned about our safety and the inability of felons to protect the public...can a felon be a bus driver, pilot, elevator operator, or work at mcdonalds around that poison food? Can felons serve the in the military? Can felons be politicians?

For that matter, I think felons can work at Rite Aids where they sell drugs and alcohol. Oh and condoms too!!!!!!!! Where is his outrage on felons being able to sell booze, condoms and drugs at rite-aid.

I just don't believe that is his agenda: To make the mm world completely safe from the dangers of ex-felons.

I don't exactly see Knollenberg as a expert in the criminal justice system and the rehabilitation of criminals.

I just don't believe that Knollenberg and this judge are so worried about the well being of marijuana patients.

Guess I'd like to see a list of jobs that felons can do that Knollenberg doesn't seem to care about.

Let's forbid felons from ever earning a living doing anything? Upon their release let's put them on Social Security Disabiliy and Food Stamps and Heating Asssistance and Medicare?

This is exactly what is being done. Lets see, create crimes to make felons and take away rights, convict felons, never let them work again, wonder why they repeat. Repeat as necessary! Oh and do not forget, use felons against naive citizens to take away more rights. Did I miss anything?

This is exactly what is being done. Lets see, create crimes to make felons and take away rights, convict felons, never let them work again, wonder why they repeat. Repeat as necessary! Oh and do not forget, use felons against naive citizens to take away more rights. Did I miss anything?

oh yeah, but don't bust my rich kid....he's gonna be president. Just bust poor and minorities. Bust them all...then my rich white and fat buddies can grow it in their corporate greenhouses and corporate farms.

oh yeah, but don't bust my rich kid....he's gonna be president. Just bust poor and minorities. Bust them all...then my rich white and fat buddies can grow it in their corporate greenhouses and corporate farms.

Absolutely, you should know the rich kid just got a bad break. The kid living in the ghetto with the drug addicted prostitute mother has no excuse. Yes I agree completely, thank you for reminding me.

I feel white or black has nothing to do with it now, it is a war against the poor. Unfortunate minorities are a great part of this, and will suffer more.

YOU mean we already arent? every one i know who has done any amount of time is on ssi or ssdi!

Mimom.....says crime pays sometimes!

Come on now I know as a pot smoking/growing pt cg you've never been a victim of bigotry and ignorant stereo typing, but thats just what you are doing to me know. I am a convicted felon, been to prison two times. I have never not once been on ssi, ssdi, or any of the above. I have not been convicted of so much as a misdemeanor since the mid 90's. I work, work hard and as much as i can.....sadly its not very often. Unlike you prefect pot smokers who have never done anything wrong, i am faced with bigotry and prejudice every day. The idea that some past mistake could keep me or anyone from helping a sick family member is absurd, and has nothing to do with public safety.

I really hope this community doesn't take a negative approach to this issue. We have all made mistakes, plenty of us could be felons had we been caught....Life goes on. If this bill passes you lose many a soldier..... and i promise you, you will be the next thing the government needs to protect the public from. Divided we shall fall, I have and do stand with you......where will you stand?

Guest 1TokeOverLine

growers that have been doing it ilegal for 30 yrs know how to grow weed? and thats what they call it! and it seems their not getting hit by leo either! hmmmmm food for thought!

Mimom....said he who stand on toilet is high on pot!

Say what???!! Mimom....said a nut case by any other name.....

YOU mean we already arent? every one i know who has done any amount of time is on ssi or ssdi!

Mimom.....says crime pays sometimes!

Being convicted of a crime has nothing to do with Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), if you've paid into the SS system you are entitled to retire (even if disabled). As for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), a felony (drug related or not)bars federally funded public assistance. If you know someone (as you claim), you need to report them, they are falsifying something to collect public assistance.

You missed the fact that the returning felons are statistics fabricated by the prison and court system and have no bearing on the real world facts. More propaganda fodder swallowed by the uninformed naive public.

It seems compassion is only applicable to the MMMAct - felony prejudice is alive and well in public opinion, and compassion goes out the window. Let those without guilt of any sin throw the first stone...99% of society are felons, they just haven't been caught.

1T

Being convicted of a crime has nothing to do with Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), if you've paid into the SS system you are entitled to retire (even if disabled). As for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), a felony (drug related or not)bars federally funded public assistance. If you know someone (as you claim), you need to report them, they are falsifying something to collect public assistance.

This is not true fugitive felons may not receive and then only certain crimes. Check www.ssa.gov

What am I missing? I just read through the MI pharmacy requirements and I can't find anywhere in the law that makes it illegal for someone with a felony conviction (drug or otherwise) to become a pharmacist. You mean a person can have access to oxycotain but can't grow a few plants? Someone double check me on this. MDHC pharmacy law

ya can...however still sell alcohol and over the counter...both more harmful

http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,7-132-8347-104149--,00.html

Port Huron Pharmacist Loses License

Agency: Community Health

November 9, 2004

The Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) has summarily suspended the pharmacist license of Anthony James Newton, R.Ph., based on his felony conviction in the 31st Judicial Circuit Court, St. Clair County, Michigan.

On June 14, 2004, Newton was convicted of Controlled Substance-Possession/Analogues, a felony. As a result, Newton was sentenced to jail for 30 days, placed on probation for a period of 12 months, with terms, and ordered to pay a fine in the amount of $867.59. The conviction stemmed from Newton’s diversion of a controlled substance for his personal use while employed as a pharmacist.

On October 25, 2004, MDCH issued an order immediately suspending Newton’s license pursuant to the Public Health Code, which provides for the mandatory summary suspension of a health professional’s license upon the conviction of a felony. An administrative hearing will be scheduled to address the status of Newton’s pharmacist license.

For more information on disciplinary actions taken by the health professional licensing boards within MDCH, please go to http://www.michigan.gov/mdch, and click on Health Systems and Licensing.

Ok that is not a valid argument. There is so much information there and the organization is not exactly intuitive, at least to me, I must have missed that part of the law. I would like to know what health care jobs a felon is allowed to perform. Maybe none these days.

i'm looking for a list now

I know for sure this section in the law needs to be reviewed, I hate the fact that they LEO can abuse this section of the law to make sure they bust people and convict, just so there will be one less "pot head"selling and growing. seems to be the one part of the law that works in their favor. Though I still honestly believe that they haven't even started upholding any part of the law yet, there's a lot of work ahead still..

Seems to be what they are doing with me, never had a record till I got my card. Now I'm looking at a drug felony. I'm Just one less person that can be a CG and grow MM to them.

We gotta start writing and calling again. put your thoughts on paper and send them to your Reps.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/28269-the-all-new-email-your-rep-software/page__pid__280034__st__80#entry280034

Trix :bong2:

last time i talked to jim stamas one of my local reps.....i mentioned the voters of michigan agreed to the law as stands....if the people were worried they would have put it in the law. With all the problems in the world these people have nothing better to do than say i can not help care for my mother?

I think the main important point here is made by ganga warrior.. If his mother wants him to be her caregiver and she fills out the application as such and pays the fee i say we let her have him as her caregiver.Many felons have patients who would like them to be their caregivers.. Its not my right to say who can or cannot be their caregiver.Only they can choose.

It would appear according to firearms laws in this state that a convicted felon may own a gun in conflict with federal law. So why is it such a long reach on MM.

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)

Act 328 of 1931

750.224f Possession of firearm by person convicted of felony; circumstances; penalty; applicability of section to expunged or set aside conviction; “felony” and “specified felony” defined. Sec. 224f.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person convicted of a felony shall not possess, use, transport, sell, purchase, carry, ship, receive, or distribute a firearm in this state until the expiration of 3 years after all of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The person has paid all fines imposed for the violation.

(b) The person has served all terms of imprisonment imposed for the violation.

© The person has successfully completed all conditions of probation or parole imposed for the violation.

(2) A person convicted of a specified felony shall not possess, use, transport, sell, purchase, carry, ship, receive, or distribute a firearm in this state until all of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The expiration of 5 years after all of the following circumstances exist:

(i) The person has paid all fines imposed for the violation.

(ii) The person has served all terms of imprisonment imposed for the violation.

(iii) The person has successfully completed all conditions of probation or parole imposed for the violation.

(b) The person's right to possess, use, transport, sell, purchase, carry, ship, receive, or distribute a firearm has been restored pursuant to section 4 of Act No. 372 of the Public Acts of 1927, being section 28.424 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(3) A person who possesses, uses, transports, sells, purchases, carries, ships, receives, or distributes a firearm in violation of this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or a fine of not more than $5,000.00, or both.

(4) This section does not apply to a conviction that has been expunged or set aside, or for which the person has been pardoned, unless the expunction, order, or pardon expressly provides that the person shall not possess a firearm.

(5) As used in this section, “felony” means a violation of a law of this state, or of another state, or of the United States that is punishable by imprisonment for 4 years or more, or an attempt to violate such a law.

(6) As used in subsection (2), “specified felony” means a felony in which 1 or more of the following circumstances exist:

(i) An element of that felony is the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the person or property of another, or that by its nature, involves a substantial risk that physical force against the person or property of another may be used in the course of committing the offense.

(ii) An element of that felony is the unlawful manufacture, possession, importation, exportation, distribution, or dispensing of a controlled substance.

(iii) An element of that felony is the unlawful possession or distribution of a firearm.

(iv) An element of that felony is the unlawful use of an explosive.

(v) The felony is burglary of an occupied dwelling, or breaking and entering an occupied dwelling, or arson.

History: Add. 1992, Act 217, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992

Say what???!! Mimom....said a nut case by any other name.....

You missed the fact that the returning felons are statistics fabricated by the prison and court system and have no bearing on the real world facts. More propaganda fodder swallowed by the uninformed naive public.

It seems compassion is only applicable to the MMMAct - felony prejudice is alive and well in public opinion, and compassion goes out the window. Let those without guilt of any sin throw the first stone...99% of society are felons, they just haven't been caught.

1T

:goodjob::goodjob:Very Well Said!

I worry that this is something they can slip right by, because people that don't have felonious records won't put forth the effort to fight it.

One day these people may wish they had stood up and fought.....

Reminds me of the old quote:

First they came for the communists

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I really hope people fight this!

Archived