? About Drying/curing

Now that I have done a small bit of reading to understand the why behind the curing process, I have a question.

After the initial drying, could you place the buds in the green stay fresh bags, thus eliminating the need to "burp" the jars?

I'd be worried about them not breathing on bottom well which could lead to mold. If you did try it because it seems plausible, you would still have to move the bags daily, and depending on how tight you packed them you would have to pull it all out and move it around so mold didn't grow in between where buds touch each other.

Cedar

It contains a chemical that absorbs the ethylene. Ethylene acts as a an aid to the ripening process. If you remove that gas, then theoretically your fruit or vegetable won't get over ripe and nasty.

From what I have read, the curing process is actually a type of fermentation. When youburp the jars, you are releasing the ethylene to prevent rot. In theory, the bags would do this continuously.

curing is a subject that can be debated! in the past all the cure my plants got was in the drying proccess! when they were dry they were cured! I realy could not tell much dif till I cured some and didnt cure some of the same bubba kush!

the bubba I started using as soon as it was dry! the other half I cured in a mason jar for about 3 wks, opening my jar for about an hr a day! I gotta tell ya, I dont see alot of dif in the effects of the mm, but the cured is so much smoother and much more enjoyable to use!,,so I guess im a new fan of curing! I mean what can it hurt, dont pack it to tight in the jar, pop it once a day, and than use it!

Im a new curing fan! :thumbsu:

Peace

FTW

Jim

It contains a chemical that absorbs the ethylene. Ethylene acts as a an aid to the ripening process. If you remove that gas, then theoretically your fruit or vegetable won't get over ripe and nasty.

From what I have read, the curing process is actually a type of fermentation. When youburp the jars, you are releasing the ethylene to prevent rot. In theory, the bags would do this continuously.

Don't take this as confrontational, but I don't know about a couple of things here.

Ethylene in cannabis buds?? I don't know about that. I know that ethylene is released by fruit when ripening, as in bananas that are shipped green, but in bags that hold in the ethylene and promotes ripening.

I'm no expert, but I don't think there's any fermentation going when curing MMJ. Fermentation involves using microorganisms to eat sugar, and that produces alcohol and CO2. Did you read that somewhere?? I've never heard it before, and it doesn't sound plausible.

If you have some information to share, I'd love to read it. Thanks.

Les

Les,

fermentation in this case does not refer to the same process used in making beer, wine, spirits, etc. It's the biochemical process of using byproducts from the breakdown of one molecule to change another, it also refers to the removal of one chemical to enhance the characteristics of another. The main purpose with MJ is to remove the nasty flavor of chlorophyll. Much like an apple won't taste good until it has endured a frost to get those sugars started breaking down, your weed will taste like poo until the chlorophyll has broken down.

I'm no expert, but I have been bumping around the net satisfying my curiosity. LOL

Interestingly enough...one big factor I found was the removal of sugar leaves prior to the process. In a few words, don't do it!

Here's a great thread to start your noodle cooking:

My link

Incidentally, the chemical in the bags is zeolite. They use it in cat litter too. :lol:

I would like to point out that it isn't great to put your cannabis in plastic.

Plastic acts like a magnet to the trics and will snap them off. (hence why the inside of the bag is usually covered)

I know my jars get covered after a while......but I can clean them out.

You lose a lot when you use plastic.

I would like to point out that it isn't great to put your cannabis in plastic.

Plastic acts like a magnet to the trics and will snap them off. (hence why the inside of the bag is usually covered)

I know my jars get covered after a while......but I can clean them out.

You lose a lot when you use plastic.

the best way to clean those glassjars is with iso alcohol. Then you can make hash from your storage jars. I do it all the time.

Archived