Pain Doc Tested For Cannabis

I'm new to this site and I had a question. I have been suffering from severe abdominal pain and nausea for almost three years now. I saw a pain management doc for the first time yesterday. They performed a urine test and I told them I would test positive for marijuana. When the doctor came in he reamed for using it then told me he coulld not treat me for 3 days due to DEA regulations. Is this information correct?

I'm new to this site and I had a question. I have been suffering from severe abdominal pain and nausea for almost three years now. I saw a pain management doc for the first time yesterday. They performed a urine test and I told them I would test positive for marijuana. When the doctor came in he reamed for using it then told me he coulld not treat me for 3 days due to DEA regulations. Is this information correct?

What area do you live in?

My Dr at the clinic listed below, will help any Patient in pain! Its not a pill clinic and you won't get anything you want just because you want it or ask for it. But they will help you find a way to control your pain if they can.

They helped me after my back surgeries to stop taking Morphine, SOMA, Oxycodone, by allowing me to continue with medical cannabis. And in doing so I was able to find a balance between an occasional pain pill along with medical cannabis that gives a decent quality of life.

Chronic Pain Institute

43145 Schoenherr Rd, Sterling Heights, MI 48313

(586) 997-5048

Ed

My Dr at the clinic listed below, will help any Patient in pain! Its not a pill clinic and you won't get anything you want just because you want it or ask for it. But they will help you find a way to control your pain if they can.

They helped me after my back surgeries to stop taking Morphine, SOMA, Oxycodone, by allowing me to continue with medical cannabis. And in doing so I was able to find a balance between an occasional pain pill along with medical cannabis that gives a decent quality of life.

Chronic Pain Institute

(586) 997-5048

Ed

That's actually close to where I live. I'm at 22 Mile and Schoenherr. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them a call.

Guest Medicinal Patient

Chronic Pain Institute

(586) 997-5048

Ed

I am not sure you realize what kind of gift you just gave this suffering member. HOPE!! I kid you not I looked everywhere and just about gave up trying to find a mm friendly pain clinic and was left with the reality I have to choose one or the other. One or the other wasn't working leaving me with a crappy quality of life and enough pain to make you crazy. Then a mod from here sent me info on a pain clinic who doesn't discriminate. That compassion gave me hope to hang in there. I never made it to that pain clinic because of no insurance. But that doesn't change or lessen the gift that thequietone gave me! Thank you thequietone and Thank you Ed! Thank you for continuing to keep this community informed. If there was a board member of the month you certainly deserve that nod. I see all the hard work and fight you have put in to helping sick people and getting the word out. Bless you and yours. :bow:

...Then a mod from here sent me info on a pain clinic who doesn't discriminate. That compassion gave me hope to hang in there. I never made it to that pain clinic because of no insurance. But that doesn't change or lessen the gift that thequietone gave me!

That's cause thequietone is a great guy! He is the epitome of what this place is all about.

• 3 weeks later...

I have told all my doctors I am a medical marijuana patient. All of them have been supportive. Just today my dermatologist jokingly (I think!) suggested I should smoke more "pot" to help get rid of a rash.

This doctor lied to you. There certainly is no DEA regulation barring him from treating you for 3 days if you test positive for marijuana.

Further, he violated medical ethics by letting his personal feelings interfere with the care of a patient (and by lying to that patient).

I would file a medical ethics complaint against this jack donkey. This doctor was unprofessional, ill informed, and an all round donkey rectum.

I have told all my doctors I am a medical marijuana patient. All of them have been supportive. Just today my dermatologist jokingly (I think!) suggested I should smoke more "pot" to help get rid of a rash.

This doctor lied to you. There certainly is no DEA regulation barring him from treating you for 3 days if you test positive for marijuana.

Further, he violated medical ethics by letting his personal feelings interfere with the care of a patient (and by lying to that patient).

I would file a medical ethics complaint against this jack donkey. This doctor was unprofessional, ill informed, and an all round donkey rectum.

After a recent discussion with my doctor about MMJ I received a letter stating that he was withdrawing as my personal physician. He states, " I am unable to prescribe the medication that you want while you are using marijuana." He claims that the DEA told him that it is illegal for a doctor to work with a patient who uses cannabis and has Medicare or Medicaid to cover medical costs. I asked if he could explain why the VA hospital didn't have a similar policy and he couldn't explain. Two days later I got the letter from him withdrawing as my doctor.

I'd love to find a cannabis friendly doctor.

they are getting calls likely NOT from DEA, but from PDR (Physicians Desk Referance) which is a book from the pharmacitical companies that sell them drugs, and they know nothing they can sell you via a dr, will work like canabis.

I also would file an Ethics complaint. I would also investigate his collegues (sp), cuz if he SPOKE TO ANYONE other than a lawyer about your, then he violated your HIPPA protection laws.

The DEA issue is crap. The Medicare issue is crap. Sorry, they are just excuses from an uncaring doc. Here are the facts

1. No physician may prescribe MMJ, but all can discuss it.

2. Simply using MMJ, or being a Republican, or anything else you do on your own has any bearing on your medicare eligibility or anything else. If a doc orders unnecessary treatments, bills you for work he didn't do, or sticks a colonoscope in everyone with a rectum- those are things that get MC jerked out of shape. They could care less about you using MMJ with a card.

3. Your clinic takes federal funds (medicare, grants, etc)??? whoop dee doo. Did you drive on a road today? Get a student loan? Take a train or post a letter? I sure did, and all are federally funded.

Your doc could get into problems on two issues- prescribing without taking due care (like over prescribing narcotics without medical reason- he can't prescribe MMJ). Or failing to monitor your care. Where does being an a s s and cutting off your pain meds, putting you into withdrawal, simply because you obtained a legal card fit into this?

Dr. Bob

The DEA issue is crap. The Medicare issue is crap. Sorry, they are just excuses from an uncaring doc. Here are the facts

2. Simply using MMJ, or being a Republican, or anything else you do on your own has any bearing on your medicare eligibility or anything else. If a doc orders unnecessary treatments, bills you for work he didn't do, or sticks a colonoscope in everyone with a rectum- those are things that get MC jerked out of shape. They could care less about you using MMJ with a card.

3. Your clinic takes federal funds (medicare, grants, etc)??? whoop dee doo. Did you drive on a road today? Get a student loan? Take a train or post a letter? I sure did, and all are federally funded.

Your doc could get into problems on two issues- prescribing without taking due care (like over prescribing narcotics without medical reason- he can't prescribe MMJ). Or failing to monitor your care. Where does being an a s s and cutting off your pain meds, putting you into withdrawal, simply because you obtained a legal card fit into this?

Dr. Bob

" 2. Simply using MMJ, or being a Republican, or anything else you do on your own has any bearing on your medicare eligibility or anything else. "

Yet...

Well said indeed. It's nauseating to know that some Doctor's have that strong of a negative opinion about MMJ. It's a shame when the uninformed or uneducated have such an outlook, but when doctors would resort to that kind of treatment of a patient who is completely with legal bounds, it's just tragic.

After a recent discussion with my doctor about MMJ I received a letter stating that he was withdrawing as my personal physician. He states, " I am unable to prescribe the medication that you want while you are using marijuana." He claims that the DEA told him that it is illegal for a doctor to work with a patient who uses cannabis and has Medicare or Medicaid to cover medical costs. I asked if he could explain why the VA hospital didn't have a similar policy and he couldn't explain. Two days later I got the letter from him withdrawing as my doctor.

I'd love to find a cannabis friendly doctor.

More information please. What medications will he not prescribe? Why is the DEA talking with this doctor personally? I am certainly not aware of a blanket Medicare or Medicaid policy barring medical marijuana patients from getting appropriate medical treatment. This cite will be FLOODED with threads on the topic if this is true.... :sword:

My point is the doctor deliberately lied to you- about your medical health. Not about a billing thing. Not about the apartment you are renting from him or whatever but about your medical issues.

And he deliberately gave you the wrong advice about your medical issues.

I am not sure about medical ethics but you sure can't do that as a lawyer!

Gee, what would the ethics board do with a lawyer who didn't like the way this guy looks so he gives him the wrong legal advice :rolleyes:

More information please. What medications will he not prescribe? Why is the DEA talking with this doctor personally? I am certainly not aware of a blanket Medicare or Medicaid policy barring medical marijuana patients from getting appropriate medical treatment. This cite will be FLOODED with threads on the topic if this is true.... :sword:

My point is the doctor deliberately lied to you- about your medical health. Not about a billing thing. Not about the apartment you are renting from him or whatever but about your medical issues.

And he deliberately gave you the wrong advice about your medical issues.

I am not sure about medical ethics but you sure can't do that as a lawyer!

Gee, what would the ethics board do with a lawyer who didn't like the way this guy looks so he gives him the wrong legal advice :rolleyes:

LC, I dont think you can fault the Doctors on this. The problems that Doctors have to deal with just to provide US with medical advice / medicine: First they have to of course get a License to Practice Medicine / Dispense Medicine. This is where the Government / DEA comes into the picture. Next they have to deal with Malpractice Insurance via Lawyers who will second guess every move they make. So inevitably you are getting third rate medical advice. Even if you get a second medical opinion it's still third rate, you have two, third rate opinions. It would be much better to deal directly with the Doctor personally, this would be most desireable . Instead of paying the 'insurance' cos./ jumping through there hoops, taking what they allow. When the only thing you can be sure of is: your rates are gong up !

The problem with the government running the insurance industry is where's the oversight ? They've had there hand in it all along anyway. In fact the reason the insurance cos raise their rates and they're required to tell you and they do every year or less is: There is a law that allows them too. Pretty cozy relationship. Except for the fact that everybody elses' interests are somehow trumped by the Govt / Ins Cos. If it were not for these other interests coming between us and our health we wouldn't need so much medical care. And the quality of medical care as well as the quality of health would would have much better chances of success.

Please follow through with this. This is the kind of thing the medical board should know about... even if they don't care.

• 1 month later...

I recently watched a special for mmj in Colorado. I didn't know this but apparently President Obama wrote a letter to the DEA telling them to not arrest people or mess with people in the states that mmj is legal as long as they are state compliant and not breaking the states laws. Also, I am a registered nurse. My son has seizure disorder and has his mmj card. This is after me doing extensive research for the best treatment for him. He was seizure free for over 6 months. Anyways what people need to realize is that Physicians get a huge kick back from pharmacutical companies. They get free meds, free vacations, free things and lots of exras for using their meds. there are no kick backs for using or prescribing cannabis. this is why we are seeing so much resistance and out and out blantant lying by MD's. I have seen it personally when I worked in the hospital. The pharm companies would supply lunch, free gifts and other things to medical personnal once or twice a week. They wanted nurses to recommend their meds to MDs. Medical is a huge business here in US and this threatens many different groups. Stay strong all and try to work together to change the stigma attached with mmj.

Archived