What Happened To The Solo Cup Chalange?

LongHairBri

who was in? where's the updates? my plant is AMAZING!! better not be for nothing!

first off, the roots!

DSCN0412.jpg

their thick but not yet choking

now the topping/training

DSCN0408.jpg

I topped her every week in veg(4) and trained the branches to fan them out

DSCN0405.jpg

for bloom I put wire around the first tier of a tomato cage making a star pattern. this will spread out the branches allowing full light to EVERY branch

DSCN0404.jpg

DSCN0402.jpg

now for the grow. I went from cloner w/just water, to the cup in bucket with 500ppm for a week. after that I adjusted the 5 gallon res to 1000ppm and haven't touched it since! it's been 6 weeks and I guess I'll get around to testing the ppm this week, but the plant is telling me she's happy so I'm not expecting any suprises. as for yield, I figure I'll shoot for 2.5oz. seems like a good number

LHB: you introduced me to Lemon Cake and I'm grateful and I saw the skill, attention and imagination you displayed in your grow room (AND LEGALITY). And you were most friendly and welcoming. In your participating in the challenge you show the excellent judgement and skill you've acquired in many years of effort. My comment upon the challenge when it was announced was disapproval--and it still is as I think--no, I know--the grow community focuses on the brand of condom when the intent is to make a baby. Many folks are sitting in cells today for being overcount, with clones developed individually instead of on the plant all counted as just one plant and viola--overcount!!!!! It is given such short shrift that I am aware of ONLY ONE compassion club in MI in the last year that held an air layering demo. Clones cut loose all count, whereas clones developed by air layering (rooted on the plant) don't count until cut off the mother and potted by themselves. How many folks must serve time until we hold and emphasize a contest that moves us toward GREATER PRODUCTION WHILE RETAINING LEGALITY? That's the baby--and when the intent is to make a baby--the h*** with the brand and characteristics of the condom, the rubber is irrelevant. True, for growers whose only grow space is their medicine cabinet what they can produce in a solo cup or even a smaller 2" cup is relevant. But factually, most of us grow in our basements--some 83% of us--and risk overcount issues when rooted clones are included, and the court cases are clear--the sheriff's successfully count individually rooted clones as plants, sometimes bogusly, when not even rooted, or when just a root dot exists in the photo and it takes a microscope or hugely enlarged photo to see it. But rooted clones on mothers? NOT ONE MI OVERCOUNT CASE on such facts. NOT one. 67 rooted clones still on the mother? One plant. Brothers, let's make babies not blather. No offense, just take it as a plea to FOCUS on what matters and will prevent the destruction of a bunch of grower's lives. This issue is real life, not titillation, and that is my criticism of the solo challenge--it ignores our communities' cellies put there on overcount issues that the community ignores, refuses to emphasize, and some of us--some on this very board this year--some who attend the May 25 rally--are going to end up serving time on an issue that so easily could have been prevented. The truth? The facts? About 1 in 37 growers knows how to successfully air layer. Our community needs to change that. Now, not to totally hijack youir post, LHB, here's hoping you hit your 2.5, and is it lemon cake?

ummmmmm. ok? I thought it would be FUN, and a little helpful. Isn't harvesting a patients legal limit from a single 5 gallon bucket helpful? one that could easily be grown in a small cabinet? I'm not using anything special at all. keeping it simple. top a few times. train slightly. set the nutes and forget it! ANYONE could/can do this. you take the same tech to a larger scale and increase the yield on ANY plant

edit: yes, lemoncake

I tried posting there a couple times but no body was posting so I was wondering the same thing. I had to bail out because of no were to veg. I have some plants going from seed to 12/12 LOL there were a decent amount on the list for teh competition but maybe they bailed out also and just never said anything. Yours looks pretty darn good man, you will do well for sure.

My question will remain this,, why do the cops know anyone is over count? Why are they stopping by grow rooms? if your not causing problems they will not stop by period ;) your right though picbook,, air cloning would be nice to learn

My question will remain this,, why do the cops know anyone is over count? Why are they stopping by grow rooms? if your not causing problems they will not stop by period ;) your right though picbook,, air cloning would be nice to learn

I followed the directions on bubblegrowers help thread for air layering, I am a complete noob and it worked for me first time. I do not have a need to air layer yet, but if I ever run into plant count problems, that's where I'll turn. I figure, if you can clone any other way, you can air layer clone as well.

I posted in the original thread, I let mine go too long with out care and she passed.

Still good for the prizes though!

LongHairBri yours is looking way good man. Very well done.

Perhaps we can have another go at a later date. I have two Leonard's in solo cups, maybe I'll leave one in just to see how she does.

I cut a pollinated bud and found healthy seeds from the FL x White Russian cross, will include some for the winner.

Tooldini, I think I may have offered you a FL cut in the past, but was unable to provide due to pests. If that's the case you're first on the list for the FL B1s coming out soon (fingers crossed).

Seems silly and too simple but I'll ask anyway. Is the only difference between this yield (2.5 ounces expected) from your solo cup and your 15 ouncer, also lemon cake, that the roots in the solo cup were restrained whereas the 15 ouncer had the full 5 gallons in which to root? (I note that you vegged the solo cup 4 weeks, one week longer than the 15 ouncer). If root space alone is the difference, what would happen to yield if instead of the 15 ouncer having 5 gallons in which to root it had had 55 gallons? 165 ounces? (Note that right now the world record for one plant's yield is 5.6 pounds (Britain, indoor grow, hydroponics, 3-1000 watt lamps, no reflectors, accomplished multiple times by the same grower who's disgusted that 5.6 seems to be the top-end achievable limit)).

well, I'd say 15/20 gallon pots would be bigger than you'd ever need. it's more about the air supplied to the roots than the size of the bucket to a point. if room and cieling were no problem, I'd use 5gal of media in heavy duty 15-20gal. totes and veg for 3 months.

the solo cup was a 6" cut clone to bloom in 30 days.

the 15 oz. plant was in my "cloner" for 3 to 4 weeks growing huge roots and a fat stalk (you know!) before it's quick 3 weeks in veg

• 2 weeks later...

well since I'm the only one left, thought you all might want to see the progression.

I still haven't checked or changed the nutes. been in this water for over a month, still happy!

IMG_20110604_090715.jpg

IMG_20110604_090653.jpg

IMG_20110604_090702.jpg

she's still streching, hoping to get to the top of the cage soon. if she keeps this up I'll get 2.5 EASY!!

Archived