Are They Drying To Fast?

chpwaldy

I harvested a plant on Friday and laid them out on a screen. They feel crisp to the touch. I put it in jars yesterday and have been burping them it seems to help but my question is .. Is it to early for the jars. Will the fast drying hurt the smoke?

It is not too early for the jars. After 24 hours of being in sealed jars the humidity from inside the buds will even out among all the nugs, small, big, inside out. If you give them a little squeeze after being in there overnight did the insides rehydrate the outside a bit? If yes, then the cure is still going on and you can burp like you have been. Drag that burping & closing process out over 2-3 weeks. It will be a hand feel process since everyone has different size buds that cure/dry at different rates. If you let them get crsiped out too quick the cure process will cease. (though some will disagree) They will be fine for consumption still but if you dry too quick and lose cure time you will sacrafice that sweet cannibus smell that you look for and your buds may smell more like cardboard or have very little scent. The 'hand feel' process is just that, dont let them stay open too long, usually 4-6 hours a day all in thier jars, tumble them around a couple times while its open, then close again till next day and repeat process. Pay attention though since you are dealing with meds that should have some moisture in them still and you dont want to keep jars closed too long and get mold but not open too long that they dry too quick. Hope it turns out for ya, keep us posted!

First i hang dry for 3-5 days then another 3-5 days in plain brown grocery bags then after this process they get put into jars .

If your medicine gets too dry you can always take a fresh fan leave off a live plant and place all the medicine in a sealable bowl this will rehydrate even the worse overdried medicine .

The jar have helped.. They went from crispy to soft. Right now I open them for about 5 hrs and then they seem to be a little crispy and then a close the jar and leave it over night.. I think I might try and open the jars at night and leave them closed durring the day when the house is warmer. I LOVE the tast of good cured meds. So curring is importaint to me. Thanks for the tip about the fan leaf.. That the first time I have heard about it.. Thanks everyone. Its still just sinking in that soon I wont have to BUY meds.. :thumbsu: But I am scared that for some reason my meds might not be up to par as the other stuff I have spent money on..

A few week ago, I had harvested a Super Silver Haze plant. It had gotten too dry bucause the buds were airy due to a ph problem.(solved now) I only hung them for 3 days and they were dust dry! I out them directly in jars hoping they would moisten back up, but it never happened. Im going to try the fan leaf idea and see if that will help! The plant I just cut down is Himalayan Gold. Just tried some small buds this am and it is very tasty! Still trying to create the best atmosphere for the best possible med production! Good luck and happy thoughts to everyone!

It is not too early for the jars. After 24 hours of being in sealed jars the humidity from inside the buds will even out among all the nugs, small, big, inside out. If you give them a little squeeze after being in there overnight did the insides rehydrate the outside a bit? If yes, then the cure is still going on and you can burp like you have been. Drag that burping & closing process out over 2-3 weeks. It will be a hand feel process since everyone has different size buds that cure/dry at different rates. If you let them get crsiped out too quick the cure process will cease. (though some will disagree) They will be fine for consumption still but if you dry too quick and lose cure time you will sacrafice that sweet cannibus smell that you look for and your buds may smell more like cardboard or have very little scent. The 'hand feel' process is just that, dont let them stay open too long, usually 4-6 hours a day all in thier jars, tumble them around a couple times while its open, then close again till next day and repeat process. Pay attention though since you are dealing with meds that should have some moisture in them still and you dont want to keep jars closed too long and get mold but not open too long that they dry too quick. Hope it turns out for ya, keep us posted!

This kind of advice is only for the far-sighted and those that find their nugs just a bit too sugary. If you want something that looks like more than the average swag, you need to treat your buds with a little more respect than tumbling them around in a jar. Most bud i am shown suffers from this disease of oblivious mistreatment. This is one of the reasons i prefer flat tupperware, that being you can rotate the buds easily without losing all the gland heads.

As to the OP's question, glass is unforgiving and the penalty is usually fatal - mold. If you want to err in the beginning, better a little too dry than a little to wet. Experience will help when you are able to judge the variables, like bud density, RH, air movement and venting.

Haha silly, you think I'm 'tumbling' them around like a washer & dryer? Its funny that someone would even think that! I simply reach into the enclosed, sealed, half-filled, glass-lock container and shift the buds that are near the bottom closer to the top and vice versa, not toss them around like a popcorn machine. Sure, flat tupperware works great too, but if you're someone that mistreats buds and doesn't pay attention to all the important factors you mentioned then you are someone that mistreats them but just because they are in an upright container it doesn't mean that someone experienced doesn't know how to handle them in that type of container. You can check my gallery to view finished work and whether they were respected or not. I apologize that 'typed text' doesn't always come across as intended. Plus, if gland heads 'fell off' or 'got lost' that easy why do people use freezing cold ice water, high priced CO2 extraction machines and butane to extract them for hash?

I guess I should have just said, Experience will help when you are able to judge the variables, like bud density, RH, air movement and venting, and let you take it from there.

How are you getting stuff to dry so quickly in our current rainsoaked environment? I've got a dehumidifier running 24/7 and my buds that have been hanging for a week feel like they were just cut down this morning. With 70% ambient humidity, curing at this time of year takes me forever, since the "fresh" air that I bring into the jar when it's burped isn't very dry.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the opposite prob. My first small harvest has been hanging for 3 days and while the buds are dry as flower the stems wont snap. Will they retain h2o when in the mason jars, they seem way too dry. HELP, am I doing anything wrong?

Oops, never mind, just read the start of this thread.

I USED to cut the plant,trim and snip to buds all same night and in 3 days were in jars,mind you 37-43% humidity but have since gone to cutting off at base and letting entire plant hang dry for at least 5 days at wich point I take off fan leafs and decide if I will dry another day or 2 or trim my sugar leafs for hash at that point,none the less when i trim the sugar leafs I snip buds to a paper bag for min of 3 days gently shuffling nugs as you described and then into jars half full and burped min 3 times a day at least 10 mins and sometimes longer if they feel moister then they should but eh to each their own. :sword:

Hey chp, sounds like you are having growing pains. As you can see, no two of us do this exactly the same. Take your time and keep an eye on those buds. If you are in jars already, the buds should get a little "softer" as the moisture equalizes. every time you burp the jar, some moisture will escape, mostly from the surface of the buds. Closing them back up allows the moisture to even out again. If you let them get too dry, then there's not really much you can do to recover. The cellular degradation that takes place as the plant breaks down really can't be reversed. You can make them moist again, but it's really not the same. The important thing is to learn from what you are doing, and improve on it as you grow. There's quite a range of tolerance with this plant, which is why we can all do it a little different and still make some good meds. It costs you though... the most expensive comodity that you have. Time! Try and be patient. It just gets better. Good luck!:thumbsu:

Archived