Taken from another message board.

original poster on the other website - medi-useA

WARNING:I do not recommend consuming canna-root oil!...For external use only!

I do not know the effect the alkaloids might have if consumed.

It COULD be dangerous.

muA

I've been trying to get the most out of my cannabis plant...I cure and smoke the buds...I make canna-oil from the leaves, stems and popcorn buds {and buds when I can spare them!}...I'm experimenting with rhetting the thicker branches and stems to make my own paper...and th@ left me with the roots.

Last harvest I made some canna balm with leaf stem and popcorn buds...whilst it did help with minor abrasions and burns, it seemed pretty useless when it came to muscles, sinew, bone and ligament.

This harvest I decided to make my balm with the dried rootmass of 1 skunkmix plant and the freshly harvested rootmass of a haze plant.

I tore these up into smallish pieces...Ideally I would have ground them in a blender...but I don't have one!...I put the torn up rootmass and 2 cups of oil into a slow cooker with 6 cups of water.

The reason I put 3-1 water-oil is this way I can keep it @ a roiling boil without deepfrying the roots.

I leave the cooker on 12-14 hours, checking it to top up the water as it evaporates {I put the lid on but it still does evaporate} and @ the end I pull the root pulp out and strain the lot through a clean giant sized chux cloth {pre-washed} and put it in the freezer to...freeze:cool:

The root pulp can be put back into the cooker with some more water to boil a few more hours...do not put more oil in...the purpose of this second 'cook' is to release the remaining oil and alkaloids from the roots.

When done, strain and freeze like the first batch...

Depending on if you squeezed out the root pulp the first batch, you might get up to the same amount of oil from the second batch you 'cook'.

When the water has frozen, pour off the oil from both batches into a pot and heat gently on the stove...dissolve some bee's wax into the oil...a piece half the size of your thumb would be enough to make 2 or more cups of balm...add small pieces and dissolve it into the oil....test it every now and then to see how thick it is.

With a little practice you can get the consistency you want to make it spreadable @room temp.

Scent can be added now if you want it aromatic...or there are other ingredients you can add and experiment with.

My next batch of this balm with also have cinnamon bark, oregano, basil 'cooked' with the roots in oil to, hopefully, make a better balm!

One could also throw in a Brugmansia flower or two to help with spasticity.

Rubbing this balm into my joints is like no pain medicine I've had before.

It doesn't make the pain bearable, nor does it lessen it, it seems to stop it entirely...not numbing it....making it like it was never there!

This is a new experience in pain relief for me.

The spasticity and stiffness I normally experience is lessened to the point of indifference...and I've only been using this a week!

The reason this works so well is the alkaloids in the roots.

If you want to explore this further google cannabis+root+alkaloid+balm and you will have some reading ahead! hehehe

If you grow...you have roots...if you have these roots, make the balm....even if YOU don't need it...someone will...a parent/grandparent/loved one...

I am pretty sure powdered roots would get through in the mail....perhaps someone could start a 'rootbank' and send their unwanted roots to those who could use them.

My next area of research is going to be into which strains have the best roots for this balm:)

Hope this helps...anyone who tries this, please chime in!

muA

• 1 month later...

Hey, made your balm the other day... except, I used coconut-oil instead of vegetable oil. I was thinking that if the fat content was higher, maybe the alkaloids would adhere to it easier or more so. I don't know... I didn't have to use the beeswax to get it to the consistency I wanted and the smell is great. My husband, son and friend all say that it works for them... I even got creative and used an empty roll on deoderant container. I poured the warm oil into the container, poured a little in the cap... waited for the cap to harden, put it on the bottom part and tipped it over into a cup, then to the fridge for solidity. It works great!!! Thanks for the recipe!!

• 2 weeks later...

35 more days till I can try it! Can't wait I really could have used it broke a bone a while back and have been in pain almost constantly. To top it off I pulled a muscle in my back too I am falling apart lately. Plus the removal of the tumor just eased the migraines to about 3/4 to half more manageable but not gone. Doc said they more than likely be with me till the end. At least I have a medicine that won't kill my kidneys or stomach like the 1600 mg every 4 hours that I was using to stop them. Thank you for this can not wait to try and to think of all the roots I pitched.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

cannabliss oil???

Yes.. cannabliss oil.. and i did try the roots added to the recipe.. although i havent gotten alot of feedback on the addition.. I was trying to be quiet about it so i could have a true test.. and no one has called me to say.. the cannabliss works way better now.. Im still going to add because what can it hurt..today im making Cannabliss with wintergreen and honeycomb balm w/ shea butter.. Who knows eh?

Yes.. cannabliss oil.. and i did try the roots added to the recipe.. although i havent gotten alot of feedback on the addition.. I was trying to be quiet about it so i could have a true test.. and no one has called me to say.. the cannabliss works way better now.. Im still going to add because what can it hurt..today im making Cannabliss with wintergreen and honeycomb balm w/ shea butter.. Who knows eh?

Are you using the shea butter as your fat??

It has a non soluable fat.. and is very healing in and of itself.. I like the consistancy of the butter along with the wax and oil..

Im going to juice up the shea butter later and use the Hot butter in the next batch.. Bubye Psoriasis!! Hello Circulation!! Later Aches and Pains..

What do you mean by "Hot Butter"??

I tried this and gave it to my patient and she loves it, it also reduces swelling. Great post

I have a large crock pot, I filled it half way with roots, put in the 2 cups of oil then filled the rest with water, and cooked over night (approx 24 hours) after bringing to a rolling boil turned down to low for the rest of the time. Removed roots, froze and removed oil, put roots back into just water for a second go round then heated and added the beeswax. Hope this helps..

I have a large crock pot, I filled it half way with roots, put in the 2 cups of oil then filled the rest with water, and cooked over night (approx 24 hours) after bringing to a rolling boil turned down to low for the rest of the time. Removed roots, froze and removed oil, put roots back into just water for a second go round then heated and added the beeswax. Hope this helps..

What did you do with the water after the second boil??

I again froze the water to remove the oil...Hope this helps..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

yes we always use whole plant roots too in are salve. not a lot of studies on the root yet but they were used even more then bud in ancient herbal healing. the stuff works wonders & no high effect even with 4% thc.

I'm so glad this is up I hadn't read this. Gotta try this one next time.

• 2 months later...

We made this today, with the roots. Did everything as you said, But i cant get the butter to a creamy texture.

I used bees wax like said. the bees wax would not completly melt. It ended up looking like oatmeal.

It does work, But its to runney, Needs to be creamy, Any help on this, thanks